Menu

Is there any reason to test to see if my son is gifted?

kristinannie

To the OP, I did not answer your question originally because I am at the same place as you, for different reasons. I do however find testing to be personal and something you need to decide with your spouse for yourself, based on your own family's needs. There are some advanced kids (notice I am not using any labels so I don't get attacked :lol:) who are failing in the system, past a certain grade, because the system cannot meet their needs.

Yes, homeschooling is great because as parents we have our own kids interests at heart so we try to meet them where they are at. That was what I tried to do. Both my boys have always been advanced in language and math. With Adrian I made a big mistake, I held him back in math, instead of letting him move forward because I wanted him to go deeper. I wanted to use two programs but decided on one mastery (suitable for my learner) and one spiral since the school system favors those a lot and I wanted to expose him to the approach in case he runs into it in University/ College and has issues. Through my current research it is becoming pretty evident that my boy (and more than likely both of them since both my hubby and I are visual thinkers) is a VSL and by giving him a spiral program it became counter productive and did more harm than good. See, I had good intentions but since I didn't know half the things I know today, I made some mistakes too.

So... I would have to say that if you find that testing can help you narrow down an approach for your own kids and their needs, it is definitely something to consider, no matter what anyone else tells you :). It's great hearing to just keep doing what you are doing but always remember, each child is unique, gifted or not, and even among gifted kids the needs differ. You will notice that with your own kids too. Just some things to consider...

To the OP, I did not answer your question originally because I am at the same place as you, for different reasons. I do however find testing to be personal and something you need to decide with your spouse for yourself, based on your own family's needs. There are some advanced kids (notice I am not using any labels so I don't get attacked :lol:) who are failing in the system, past a certain grade, because the system cannot meet their needs.

Yes, homeschooling is great because as parents we have our own kids interests at heart so we try to meet them where they are at. That was what I tried to do. Both my boys have always been advanced in language and math. With Adrian I made a big mistake, I held him back in math, instead of letting him move forward because I wanted him to go deeper. I wanted to use two programs but decided on one mastery (suitable for my learner) and one spiral since the school system favors those a lot and I wanted to expose him to the approach in case he runs into it in University/ College and has issues. Through my current research it is becoming pretty evident that my boy (and more than likely both of them since both my hubby and I are visual thinkers) is a VSL and by giving him a spiral program it became counter productive and did more harm than good. See, I had good intentions but since I didn't know half the things I know today, I made some mistakes too.

So... I would have to say that if you find that testing can help you narrow down an approach for your own kids and their needs, it is definitely something to consider, no matter what anyone else tells you :). It's great hearing to just keep doing what you are doing but always remember, each child is unique, gifted or not, and even among gifted kids the needs differ. You will notice that with your own kids too. Just some things to consider...

Thanks for this post!

Thanks for this post!

No problem :)! I have seen some of your other threads and I can see that, much like myself, you are searching for what you feel is best for your kids. Checking out Snowfall's thread I saw the same there too, a parent looking to do what is best for their special and unique child. I hope all works well for you and your family :)!