Menu

Organizations for kids to give to for Christmas?

My kids were looking through the World Vision catalog that came in the mail this week and discussing organizations we could donate to for Christmas. Anyone have suggestions? My main concern would be that the intended group gets as much as possible of the donation. (I know nothing about World Vision outside of the catalog that landed on my doorstep.) We were discussing basic needs versus wants, so I'm not interested in the K classroom that needs ipads, but am interested in the school that needs crayons or the child that needs medicine or food.

Edited by melmichigan

My two favorites:

Samaritan's Purse Christmas Catalog

https://www.samaritanspurse.org/index.php/Giving/gift_catalog/

Wycliffe Christmas Catalog

http://www.wycliffecatalog.org/WycliffeCatalog.aspx

They are both very high quality organizations.

You could also pack a Christmas shoebox for Samaritan's Purse which is an amazing Christmas giving activity:

http://www.samaritanspurse.org/index.php/OCC/Pack_A_Shoe_Box/?hometab

You would need to do it soon, though, because the shoebox collection week is Nov 14-21. We do these every year, and they are such a great way to make a difference as well as talk to kids about how most of the rest of the world lives.

Every year we have given to World Vision from the catalog. We have picked out gifts to be given in the name of others as their Christmas presents. We have also sponsored a few local underprivileged children through the Angel Tree. Both opportunities have meant a lot to us and the kids.

On a side note, the President of World Vision, Richard Stearns, wrote a really great book called "A Hole in Our Gospel". The book will really challenge how you give.

You can learn more about some charities by various on-line sites that rate how much money the spend on overhead vs on their mission. I think Also Forbes has a list of the top 100 charities on their website with some data. You can get some financial information on charities from Guidestar.org

I've come across Christian Appalachian Project in the last year and was impressed by their works. They obviously do lots of good work in Appalachia, but they were also helping the tornado victims in Alabama etc. They have were you can give a child a visit from Santa with a gift or give a family Christmas dinner or their school supplies.

We also like Heifer International. Kids seem to really like the idea of giving someone a chicken, pig or goat to raise.

I like the Shoeboxes and the Angel tree idea. It's hand ons for my children, actually selecting out and purchasing goodies, with their own money, for children who do not have much, if anything. I think it speaks to my children's hearts more. I also like that the Angel trees are going to someone local. We have so many needy families right here in the U.S., it's nice to do something, anything for the children to make a special memory for them.

We have donated to World Vision in the past. They are definitely legit.

This year, as we did last year, we are giving to the Angel Tree at Reece's Rainbow: http://static.reecesrainbow.org/angeltreekids/

This organization helps orphans with special needs and helps families become matched to orphans. They are a true non-profit and have won awards for their business model of giving a high % to the cause and keeping admin costs very low.

For us, each of my girls chooses an orphan for whom to pray and donate. This helps personalize the need for each of them. One of last year's "angels" was recently chosen to be adopted, and my kids were SOOOO happy!