Menu

Obama got the nomination! Happy Dance! (that is all) :)

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a truly historic moment.

Those who sacrificed for racial equality in our country have got to be so proud.

It's a proud time to be an American, no matter one's political leanings, this is a moment to be proud.

I do have to add, however, that I don't like Michelle Obama's belt. I know, my husband pointed out how trivial that is. But the belt was riding up under her booKs and just looked wrong!

Those who sacrificed for racial equality in our country have got to be so proud.

It's a proud time to be an American, no matter one's political leanings, this is a moment to be proud.

In all seriousness, this is absolutely true! No one can argue with that.

What a monumental event! I totally agree. Yet, this year, no matter which candidate was chosen, it would have been a remarkable event, yes? :)

I totally agree! I called all my children in to watch it. This is history! .)

I pointed out to my 13 year old that his dad went to segregated schools. And now this. In two generations we have this.:patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot:

I may not agree with his politics and I don't know what way I will vote, but I am proud of the things our nation has put behind us. We have so far to go, but look how far we've come.

I do have to add, however, that I don't like Michelle Obama's belt. I know, my husband pointed out how trivial that is. But the belt was riding up under her booKs and just looked wrong!

Right on. That was a bad belt!;)

But, lets watch very carefully to see if we are allowed to judge a man by the content of his character throughout the rest of this election.

That will be the true test to see how far we've come.

It's not really success if we give a leg up to a man or woman because of their skin or gender- that would be a true step back.

These people are charged to represent everybody in the country.

Jo

But, lets watch very carefully to see if we are allowed to judge a man by the content of his character throughout the rest of this election.

It's not really success if we give a leg up to a man or woman because of their skin or gender- that would be a true step back.

Jo

Yes, I wonder that too. Should something questionable come to light, will it become a race issue or a character issue.

Jo

The true test of how far we've come is when we simply stop talking about skin color or gender... at all. Not this slightly disguised reverse racism silliness that started with Rush Limbaugh and just won't go away.

On the other hand... did anyone see the incredibly awful speech given by McCain in Kenner, LA? I'm sorry to see what McCain has become. I so admired that guy before he started to run. Then the pandering started. Now I hardly recognize the guy... he's practically a different person now than he was two years ago.

This is a truly historic moment. Those who sacrificed for racial equality in our country have got to be so proud. It's a proud time to be an American, no matter one's political leanings, this is a moment to be proud.

On the other hand, the fact that race and gender have been such significant topics make me keenly aware of our relative lack of progress...

The true test of how far we've come is when we simply stop talking about skin color or gender... at all. Not this slightly disguised reverse racism silliness that started with Rush Limbaugh and just won't go away.

Reverse racism silliness? How about *actual policies*? See what it's like to apply to medical school. Watch lesser qualified candidates get in before you do based on race. After you do get in, observe how those lesser qualifed candidates perform (in general; there are always exceptions).

Then come back and tell us how it is all "slightly disguised reverse racism silliness."

Reverse racism silliness? How about *actual policies*? See what it's like to apply to medical school. Watch lesser qualified candidates get in before you do based on race. After you do get in, observe how those lesser qualified candidates perform (in general; there are always exceptions).

Then come back and tell us how it is all "slightly disguised reverse racism silliness."

Wow! Tell the minorities who frequent the boards (including my familiy) how you really feel even though your opinion is quite fallacious in content and lacking fact.

Reverse racism silliness? How about *actual policies*? See what it's like to apply to medical school. Watch lesser qualified candidates get in before you do based on race. After you do get in, observe how those lesser qualifed candidates perform (in general; there are always exceptions).

In general, I don't support affirmative action programs ~ particularly those that are gender-based. Having said that, I'm curious as to the factual underpinnings of the assertions you expressed here. How do you know the candidates earning acceptance are less qualified? What's the basis for your assessment of their performance upon acceptance? It feels to me ~ and granted, this is just my inkling ~ that you're making emotional assumptions. Perhaps I'm wrong, though; just wondering about the basis for your comments.

The amazing moment in history is not lost on me. And I made a point of making sure my children understood that they were witnesses to history -- history that would be taught to their children and grandchildren in their history books.

I disagree with the man's politics; I'm inspired by his speeches; I disagree with the solutions he has proposed; I get chills when his speeches soar.

Hillary needs to throw out Al Gore's playbook and just give it up. As someone on TV just said, it's like she got fired and showed up for work the next day anyway.

Michelle needs a new belt, I agree. It was hideous. But the pound and the thumbs up before his speech (between the two of them) was cute.

McCain's speech turned me off and put me to sleep. Hillary gave a great speech -- although she doesn't know when to go away. Obama gave an amazing speech in front of a HUGE crowd. I'll not be voting for him (I strongly disagree with too much for me to vote for him), but I'm pleased to be witness to history.

And I'm a political junkie, so this whole process has been a joy to watch!

Jo

I was just saying to my dh last night while all the pundits are congradulating themselves on supporting the first black candidate, "honey, I don't even notice the color of his skin". I can say the same thing for Hillary...I just don't even think about her gender. It's a complete non-issue for me. (although, I do notice the color of McCain's skin because he is soooo white.:001_smile:)

I do agree we've come along way because I grew up listening to the racial slurs of my grandparents. They slandered just about every ethnic group out there - including my dads!

Guest BuzyLizzie

I am in awe of everything I have witnessed during this campaign cycle. Obviously the country wants change. Both Obama and Clinton represent that. I was hoping that Clinton would win the democratic primary.

I am curious what it is that people see as Obama's qualifications for running one of the world's most powerful countries.

1988 - Obama is a summer associate at the Chicago law firm Sidley & Austin

1992 - Obama graduates from Harvard

1996- Nov - Obama is elected to Illinois Senate (state level, not national)

2004 -Nov - Obama is elected to US Senate

I do not like McCain. But I am not convinced that Obama is the right choice. He has very little experience. I am seeing people being swayed by desire for something different. If Obama had applied for this job based on a resume and job application vs. voting, his application would have looked barren compared to other applicants. Others were simply better qualified.

That is the part that baffles me.

I am in awe of everything I have witnessed during this campaign cycle. Obviously the country wants change. Both Obama and Clinton represent that. I was hoping that Clinton would win the democratic primary.

I am curious what it is that people see as Obama's qualifications for running one of the world's most powerful countries.

I do not like McCain. But I am not convinced that Obama is the right choice. He has very little experience. I am seeing people being swayed by desire for something different. If Obama had applied for this job based on a resume and job application vs. voting, his application would have looked barren compared to other applicants. Others were simply better qualified.

He's been groomed for this position for the past 10 years. I recall the speech he gave at the 2004 DN Convention. I thought to myself even then, "This man is a great orator...he'll be running for president in four years.".

He's been groomed for this position for the past 10 years. I recall the speech he gave at the 2004 DN Convention. I thought to myself even then, "This man is a great orator...he'll be running for president in four years.".

As soon as his 2004 DNC speech was over, I told my mom and oldest ds (the other political junkies in the house) that they "just saw the first black president of the united states." I told them to keep an eye on him and remember his name; he'll be making history soon.

Can't wait to see who gets rolled out at the conventions this year. :D

On the other hand, the fact that race and gender have been such significant topics make me keenly aware of our relative lack of progress...

I guess we will disagree on this. And maybe part of the reason is that you are in Washington and I am in Tennessee. Not only am I in Tennessee, but I am a transplanted yankee in Tennessee. And I married into a family that, until I came along, freely threw the around a certain racial slur as part of their everyday language. I married a man who went to an all white elementary school. He remembers desegragation.

So I measure how far we've come as a nation. I measure how far we've come as a state. I measure how far the ________________ family of West Tennessee has come since one of their own married a dang yankee with weird ideas.

I think it is okay to talk about race and gender. I think it is okay to admit that these are historical times, long overdue.

Does anyone know what Phred is talking about here? I don't listen to Rush Limbaugh so I have no idea what this means.

I'm not being snarky, I truly don't know what Rush Limbaugh started.

Can someone enlighten the -oh-so-not-political among us?

QUOTE]

I was thinking the exact same thing this morning. I personally don't support his politics, but what a wonderful moment for our country!! I am currently reading Malcolm X's autobiography and while there is a LOT in there that I am having a hard time stomaching, I can't help but wonder what he would say if he were alive to see this.

:iagree: Isn't experience the best teacher? He doesn't have any.

My dh said the same thing when he first seemed to come out of nowhere.

Others were better qualified than George W. Bush, but that didn't stop him from getting two terms. Here's the thing: The President doesn't make decisions in a vacuum and without the advice of others. I'm far more confident about the type of team I believe Obama will put together than McCain will or Bush did.

I know what you are saying, Colleen, but you have to get to the place where it is an option before you can get to the place where it doesn't matter at all. I think that is progress, even if it is perhaps smaller progress than is desirable.

For the record, when I talk about progress, I'm not talking about Obama's ideas because I don't really know what they are-he doesn't have a long voting record and I am much more conservative than he appears to be. I am talking about the fact that our nation (in a relatively short time) has come from the place where a black man couldn't vote to the place where he could be elected president. I am amazed by that. Hopefully in an even shorter period of time race won't even be discussed at all.

Others were better qualified than George W. Bush, but that didn't stop him from getting two terms. Here's the thing: The President doesn't make decisions in a vacuum and without the advice of others. I'm far more confident about the type of team I believe Obama will put together than McCain will or Bush did.

I am on the other side of that argument. With so little experience, I am concerned about who he will choose.

To lead the nation of Israel, even though others were better qualified. I am trying to comfort myself with that knowledge, because also am worried about Obama and I am not sure why others think he is so great.

But for me, McCain is simply not an option. I admire him tremendously as a great national hero, and I would be incredibly honored to shake his hand and tell him so. But I think he would be a disaster for our nation as a president, and I can't vote for him.

I am on the other side of that argument. With so little experience, I am concerned about who he will choose.
Well, in this case it's relative. :) I have a pretty good idea of whom McCain will pick and that concerns me not a little.

:iagree: If we were truly as liberated as some would like to believe, then race and gender would be non-issues.

Yes, but you must remember the process is gradual. I think in terms of history me moved very quickly. The civil rights movement was only a few generations ago. Changing cultural values for the good is like changing the direction of a ship. If only changing cultural values for the worse took so long. :glare:

To lead the nation of Israel, even though others were better qualified. I am trying to comfort myself with that knowledge, because also am worried about Obama and I am not sure why others think he is so great.

But for me, McCain is simply not an option. I admire him tremendously as a great national hero, and I would be incredibly honored to shake his hand and tell him so. But I think he would be a disaster for our nation as a president, and I can't vote for him.

This is exactly where I find myself. I doubt that Obama and I share values, but I cannot vote for McCain. I, too, greatly admire and respect him, but I do not think he is what our nation needs right now.

But I don't know if Obama's policies will be what our nation needs right now, either.

My late grandmother used to always say that if we wanted a great president we needed to elect a mom who had kept her family fed and clothed on a middle income or less budget. She would know how to run the country!!!

Not sure Hillary thinks it over... did you hear her speech? :bored:

Last night I was laughing as I recalled something Rush Limbaugh said in 2000, they're going to have to pull Hillary out of the White House.

She will never concede in plain language. She's like one of those people who wants to be a friend and follows people around even though they basically ignore her, eventually people give in and say, "Alright, you can play."

Karenciavo (Portions of the message posted here are not necessarily the views of Karenciavo.)

Last night I was laughing as I recalled something Rush Limbaugh said in 2000, they're going to have to pull Hillary out of the White House.

She will never concede in plain language. She's like one of those people who wants to be a friend and follows people around even though they basically ignore her, eventually people give in and say, "Alright, you can play."

Karenciavo (Portions of the message posted here are not necessarily the views of Karenciavo.)

:lol: You kill me!

I just thought of the scene in What About Bob where Richard Dreyfuss is screaming, "GET OUT!" and Bill Murray is smiling and saying, "No, we won't get out!":lol:

Poor Hillary.

One thing that unsettles me is that Obama was not pro-hsing when in the IL Senate. He helped push thro some NEA legislation that would have made hsing next to impossible in IL. Thankfully it did not pass. It is his voting record of simply present both in the US Senate and the IL Senate that has me thinking that he is a man who will not stand up for anything other than just being there.

Just for the record I have no horse in this race at all.

Well I'm happy dancing because between McCain, Hillary and Obama, Obama is the one most likely to bring about actual change in this country.

McCain was never really an option for me, I don't vote republican.

Obama, I didn't like at the beginning of all this, his politics are more conservative than mine are. But as the race went on, I found much to my surprise that I was rooting for him. I still don't like all his politics, but I think he is what this country needs right now and I think he's going to make a great president.

Hillary was the opposite, I liked her much better 8 months ago. I'd still vote happily for her if she was the democratic nominee, but I think her term would be more politics-as-usual, just with a democratic bias. And really, the woman needs to concede, its just plain arrogant not to at this point.

:iagree:. I can't imagine any happy dances during this campaign.

:iagree: Me, either.

I think it is a historic moment when BO got the nomination, but I worry about which direction the country is going to go no matter which candidate wins.

:iagree:. I can't imagine any happy dances during this campaign.

:iagree:

I'm shaking in my shoes, folks.

http://www.eyeblast.tv/public/video.aspx?RsrcID=2036

Looks like this video was produced by a supporter of McCain. I'm not a supporter of either one of them. In fact, if I didn't know better, I'd be voting for Hillary. But, I do know better, so not. gonna. do. it. This will be the first national election that I've chosen to skip ever. Please, ya'll, you have to do some homework and understand that they are all professional agitators.