Menu

Notgrass History Questions

Guest RMom2x2

Guest RMom2x2

My dd, tenth grade, and dd, ninth grade are using Notgrass American History this year. Although they seem to grasp the concepts being taught, they are not doing well with the questions in the daily/weekly quiz book. They don't love history, but never minded it before. So far this year has been miserable trying to complete the work because the quizzes are making them feel defeated.

Last year we used the Notgrass World History and did not have this problem. We loved the program which made us decide to proceed with the American History this year. Did anyone find the two curriculums that much different?

Dd19 did Notgrass American History in 10th grade. She told me in no uncertain terms to NOT use it for Ds15 because the questions are very difficult and often were not directly addressed in the text. For example, in the chapter about slavery, one of the questions is "What are some of the stereotypes about slavery?" If you read the chapter you will not find the word "stereotype" anywhere and the information that is there does not really address this question. It talks about different types of slavery and that slavery has not always been the same at all times throughout history, but it never discusses stereotypes of slavery. There are many other questions like this that require the student to go beyond what I consider the normal amount of thinking required to answer "end of the chapter" questions. I am familiar with Bloom's taxonomy and I realize that questions should not all be simple recall of facts, but Notgrass's questions are more obscure than the highest level of Bloom's - he seems to have not given them much thought. Also, there are too many of them. JMHO.