Menu

skipping lessons

ClassicalTwins

I'm unclear.. why do you want to finish soon if they are not ready for WWE2?

I think the point is to keep up the regular practice with dialogue, copywork, and narration so that they are eventually ready for more advanced writing work (WWE2 or whatever it might be.) It's not about learning new and challenging things each lesson as much as it is about just slowly building skills. If they aren't ready for 2, why would you stop?

Practice is necessary to maintain and build writing skills. If you choose top stop WWE1, but not going to move onto WWE2, I would think some other regular writing activity should take its place.

What part do they need practice in?

This summer, I doubled up weeks, but only did the narration days. I skipped the copywork-only days. At the point I started accelerating, he couldn't quite answer all the questions in the first evaluation passage, so that's why I kept going in level 1. In his case, copywork wasn't an issue. He never copied anything wrong. He just needed writing practice daily, which I provided via grammar (R&S English over the summer).

We're in week 11 of WWE2 now, and he's doing great with everything. He was clearly ready for dictation earlier this summer, and he was also ready to move beyond "What is one thing you remember from this passage." I don't at all regret accelerating WWE1 a bit. I think we did 12 or 14 weeks' worth over the summer at double pace. We had started WWE1 in January, halfway through 1st grade.

I'm unclear.. why do you want to finish soon if they are not ready for WWE2?

I think the point is to keep up the regular practice with dialogue, copywork, and narration so that they are eventually ready for more advanced writing work (WWE2 or whatever it might be.) It's not about learning new and challenging things each lesson as much as it is about just slowly building skills. If they aren't ready for 2, why would you stop?

Practice is necessary to maintain and build writing skills. If you choose top stop WWE1, but not going to move onto WWE2, I would think some other regular writing activity should take its place.

:iagree:

What part do they need practice in?

This summer, I doubled up weeks, but only did the narration days. I skipped the copywork-only days. At the point I started accelerating, he couldn't quite answer all the questions in the first evaluation passage, so that's why I kept going in level 1. In his case, copywork wasn't an issue. He never copied anything wrong. He just needed writing practice daily, which I provided via grammar (R&S English over the summer).

We're in week 11 of WWE2 now, and he's doing great with everything. He was clearly ready for dictation earlier this summer, and he was also ready to move beyond "What is one thing you remember from this passage." I don't at all regret accelerating WWE1 a bit. I think we did 12 or 14 weeks' worth over the summer at double pace. We had started WWE1 in January, halfway through 1st grade.

This is what I've been doing since we are "a year behind" in WWE.

If you think they're definitely not ready for WWE2 I would probably just finish WWE1. If you look at a lesson and think it's not challenging enough, go ahead and skip it, but skip very much and you might as well just start WWE2 now.

My son didn't need all of WWE1; I think it was around the same point (week 20) that I started sizing up WWE2 to see if he was ready. It did look like appropriate material for him so I gave him year-end test; he passed with 100% and moved on to WWE2. So skipping some doesn't necessarily hurt anything, but if you feel they're definitely not ready for WWE2 right now, just do the lessons that are of appropriate difficulty and skip the ones that aren't. It's very possible, though, for a child's ability and maturity to be asynchronous, and in that case moving at the prescribed pace is probably best because WWE2 while the content in WWE2 isn't a huge leap from WWE1, the maturity required to complete the assignments is significantly greater IMO. Instead of copywork, sentences are dictated and the student has to listen very carefully to sort out where to punctuate (and which type of punctuation to use), and the summaries are more challenging than the "Tell me one thing you remember" bits from WWE1. Just some things to think about.