Menu

Wow!! Duggar news :)

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it hard to get excited about any reality show. I find it even harder to get excited about hearing that a family may have a 20th child. I just don't see how each child can get what I consider to be a proper amount of parents' time and individual attention.

I am not worried about individual attention, but after some risky pregnancies I worry about her health and really think it is time she stopped having them and take care of the ones she already has.

She is nice, she is a good mom, but that is about where my admiration ends. I haven't ever understood the quiverful movement or the Bill Gothard thing though. Ok, well, I "understand" it cognitively, but as something to actually follow? No.

Wow. Usually I'm not shocked by a pregnancy announcement from her (lol!) but I thought between Josey's situation and having grandbabies now and her age that she was done. I had my money on the announcement being a wedding for one of the older kids. I like that they will have an even 20 though. 19 is an awkward number and 20 feels better but that's an OCD brain for ya. ;)

I find it hard to get excited about any reality show. I find it even harder to get excited about hearing that a family may have a 20th child. I just don't see how each child can get what I consider to be a proper amount of parents' time and individual attention.

*I* know *I* couldn't give 20 children a proper amount of time and individual attention, but suspect *they* do. I suspect they will give more attention to child #20 than some people give who have to their 1 or 2 children.

I am not worried about individual attention, but after some risky pregnancies I worry about her health and really think it is time she stopped having them and take care of the ones she already has.

:iagree: The last baby really suffered. I hope this baby will be healthy from the very beginning!

And the world's population continues to climb...7 billion and counting :glare:

While I'm not a fan of the Duggars, one couple having 20 kids isn't a problem. If it was a trend then, yes, it would be an issue. But I think it's a mistake to make overpopulation an individual issue.

We've got three kids, and may have a fourth one day, but I have one sibling who has no kids, and my DH is an only child. So we figure we could have four and still not be overpopulating the planet. ;)

Have you heard??

Michelle is pregnant again!! That makes 20 for them :)

I always tell my husband I want to be her when I grow up, LOL! I so admire her patience and ability to parent so many children in such a calm and caring manner.

I was just wondering about them yesterday. Weird. I hope things go better for this little one. Anyone know how their preemie is doing?

I was just wondering about them yesterday. Weird. I hope things go better for this little one. Anyone know how their preemie is doing?

The NBC article said she is doing well and will turn 2 in December.

ETA: I didn't realize this could/would be a controversial subject.

She is nice, she is a good mom, but that is about where my admiration ends. I haven't ever understood the quiverful movement or the Bill Gothard thing though. Ok, well, I "understand" it cognitively, but as something to actually follow? No.

:iagree: Except, I do understand the quiverful movement (and you have people at different points on the spectrum of that meaning...Duggars are on the FAR end) and I've been through the Gothard thing and honestly, I've seen points where the Duggars break with Gothard...considering Gothardites I knew often promoted Ezzo and Pearl, yet the Duggars have listed themselves as Attached Parents and Michelle has been seen using a babysling, which is a big Ezzo no-no "insert Mrs. Ezzo's comments on uncivilised/heathens in other countries and how slings are bad for babies". (I'll look to see if I can find an exact quote of hers, but it might be hard since you can't see the videos without attending classes, much like Gothard's seminars, where we weren't supposed to show our books to anyone else).

I have watched a few shows but I really don't know much about them. I do know the blogosphere is ripe with people ripping the family apart.

But correct me if I am wrong- and I may be given the fact that I haven't followed this show. But doesn't this family take care of themselves with no financial assistance or welfare from the government. Has this always been the case?

I know people who can't do that with 1 kid let alone 20. In fact, I'm almost ashamed to admit I know a woman (girl really) who purposely got pregnant to collect more money from the government so she wouldn't have to work while her boyfriend served his jail sentence. I don't know about you all- but I shudder to think what her children will grow up to be like. I would bank on the busy but loving house of the Duggar's anyday.

And the world's population continues to climb...7 billion and counting :glare:
:001_rolleyes:

I happily contribute my eight :D (btw, I have quite a few family members that are "child free by choice"...I'm just making up for it ;) )

Edited by mommaduck

The NBC article said she is doing well and will turn 2 in December.

ETA: I didn't realize this could/would be a controversial subject.

I am very glad to hear it. I think the Duggars are a sweet family and I'm happy for them. Depending on my mood their naysayers make me sad or give me a headache. Glad I caught this thread at the beginning before it gets awful. :glare:

I know people who can't do that with 1 kid let alone 20. In fact, I'm almost ashamed to admit I know a woman (girl really) who purposely got pregnant to collect more money from the government so she wouldn't have to work while her boyfriend served his jail sentence. I don't know about you all- but I shudder to think what her children will grow up to be like. I would bank on the busy but loving house of the Duggar's anyday.

I'm not going to fault anybody for needing public assistance. Being poor is not a reason for shame, and having been fortunate enough to be able to provide for a large family is not a point of pride.

And I'm most certainly not going to write off the children of people on welfare or in poverty. I don't shudder to think what the children of people on welfare will grow up to be like, and I'm saddened anybody would.

It's this kind of smug self-righteousness that the Duggars seem to inspire in people that makes me dislike them. They may be great people. But the fact that so many people look at them and think "If they can have 20 people and not take public assistance, then anybody who does rely on public assistance must be a lazy irresponsible bum who doesn't deserve kids or will ruin their kids!" really bothers me.

*I* know *I* couldn't give 20 children a proper amount of time and individual attention, but suspect *they* do. I suspect they will give more attention to child #20 than some people give who have to their 1 or 2 children.

I know that is the case in my home. Baby #10 is showered with far more time, attention, and downright giddy enjoyment than we gave our first few kids. Not because they were loved less, but because we took so much more for granted back then and our priorities were so much different back then. And then there is the constant attention of his 9 siblings.

I can't even imagine having a large family like the Duggars and I'm not trying to beat them. The reality is very few people ever get the chance to have a large family like mine, much less theirs, whether they would want to or not.

And I would never presume people would stop having children because of a difficult pregnancy, delivery, or other complications. Those things often make people want another MORE.

I'm not going to fault anybody for needing public assistance. Being poor is not a reason for shame, and having been fortunate enough to be able to provide for a large family is not a point of pride.

And I'm most certainly not going to write off the children of people on welfare or in poverty. I don't shudder to think what the children of people on welfare will grow up to be like, and I'm saddened anybody would.

It's this kind of smug self-righteousness that the Duggars seem to inspire in people that makes me dislike them. They may be great people. But the fact that so many people look at them and think "If they can have 20 people and not take public assistance, then anybody who does rely on public assistance must be a lazy irresponsible bum who doesn't deserve kids or will ruin their kids!" really bothers me.

While I agree with this statement in general, I think the person who originally mentioned the welfare issue stated the person THEY knew had a child on purpose in order to get welfare, and was worried what THAT kid would grow up like considering their situation.

I thought it had more to do with having a child purposely just for money than being poor or needing assistance. At least that's what she SAID.

When someone has kids for any purpose other than wanting to be a parent, yes, I'd wonder what kind of parenting they would bother to do--regardless of their financial situation.

I know that is the case in my home. Baby #10 is showered with far more time, attention, and downright giddy enjoyment than we gave our first few kids. Not because they were loved less, but because we took so much more for granted back then and our priorities were so much different back then. And then there is the constant attention of his 9 siblings.

I can't even imagine having a large family like the Duggars and I'm not trying to beat them. The reality is very few people ever get the chance to have a large family like mine, much less theirs, whether they would want to or not.

And I would never presume people would stop having children because of a difficult pregnancy, delivery, or other complications. Those things often make people want another MORE.

:iagree:

All other issues aside, a friend of mine (mother of six, grandmother of two) once told me, "when your done, you'll know it." She was right. One friend was done a three, another at six, myself at eight, and if Michelle isn't done yet, that is between her, her husband, and God. Everything else is moot.

It seems unlikely that this pregnancy and birth will be normal after what happened with Josie. I hope everything goes well, but in her shoes I'd have thanked God that my baby and I lived through the last one and I'd have called it quits to make sure I'd be around for my other kids.

Have you heard??

Michelle is pregnant again!! That makes 20 for them :)

I always tell my husband I want to be her when I grow up, LOL! I so admire her patience and ability to parent so many children in such a calm and caring manner.

I do, too, but I would like to channel that calm with the 3 I have at home. ;)

While I agree with this statement in general, I think the person who originally mentioned the welfare issue stated the person THEY knew had a child on purpose in order to get welfare, and was worried what THAT kid would grow up like considering their situation.

I agree. Being poor and on welfare but trying to get off welfare and make a better life for your family is something to be admired. Intentionally staying on welfare and abusing the system is something I detest. I have seen both examples. Also, I doubt that the Duggars are just fortunate to have the means to support their family. I am quite sure it takes lots of energy and hard work. Most people I know that appear richer than I are that way because they made better choices than I did. Some had a better start than I but in the end it is my bad money choices holding me back. I am not saying I would ever have millions but definitely an easier life had I chosen differently.

Women have preeclampsia all the time. It is nothing to mess around with, but if anything, I suspect this pregnancy will go better because they know to be more vigilant this time. Many women who have a complicated due to preeclampsia pregnancy/delivery still continue to have a 2nd or 3rd baby and no one tells them they are wrong to do so. I don't see why it would be wrong for the Duggars either.

I don't know, or care, whether or not they ever received public assistance. I know Bob started off with a used car business and he and Michelle started to buy up commercial property. It's the rental income from the property that supported their family, but I'm sure now they're receiving quite a paycheck for doing their show.

I know more screwed up and nasty rich people, or from rich homes, than I do poor. I grew up in one of the most expensive areas in our country, at least at the time (Marin County, just north of San Francisco) and I knew a lot of rich people.

Admiring someone for working hard and staying off of welfare doesn't mean that everyone automatically assumes everyone who doesn't is a lazy bum. What the Duggars do financially is admirable. They sacrifice new for used, they are frugal, and they work hard. Why isn't that admirable?

On the #20 note, I fear that she will leave 20+ children motherless someday. I think those children need her alive more than she needs another baby. I would have loved more children, but my body started protesting and I think my duty is to the ones already here.

I don't know, or care, whether or not they ever received public assistance. I know Bob started off with a used car business and he and Michelle started to buy up commercial property. It's the rental income from the property that supported their family, but I'm sure now they're receiving quite a paycheck for doing their show.

I know more screwed up and nasty rich people, or from rich homes, than I do poor. I grew up in one of the most expensive areas in our country, at least at the time (Marin County, just north of San Francisco) and I knew a lot of rich people.

Women have preeclampsia all the time. It is nothing to mess around with, but if anything, I suspect this pregnancy will go better because they know to be more vigilant this time. Many women who have a complicated due to preeclampsia pregnancy/delivery still continue to have a 2nd or 3rd baby and no one tells them they are wrong to do so. I don't see why it would be wrong for the Duggars either.

Most cases of pre-eclampsia develop later in pregnancy and are not as severe as what she experienced with Josie. Michelle had pre-eclampsia with other pregnancies (2, I think), but the severity and earliness of what she had with Josie substantially increase the risk of another early and severe case. Pre-eclampsia before 30 weeks is generally much more serious in its danger to mothers and babies than when it develops later in pregnancy. Most cases develop in the third trimester. Michelle has also had four (?) c-sections and she is in her 40s. It's not impossible for her to have a normal, healthy pregnancy, but she is taking on significant risks to have this baby. It just seems rather reckless to play the odds when you'd leave 19 children motherless if the odds don't fall in your favor.

On the #20 note, I fear that she will leave 20+ children motherless someday. I think those children need her alive more than she needs another baby. I would have loved more children, but my body started protesting and I think my duty is to the ones already here.

Most cases of pre-eclampsia develop later in pregnancy and are not as severe as what she experienced with Josie. Michelle had pre-eclampsia with other pregnancies (2, I think), but the severity and earliness of what she had with Josie substantially increase the risk of another early and severe case. Pre-eclampsia before 30 weeks is generally much more serious in its danger to mothers and babies than when it develops later in pregnancy. Most cases develop in the third trimester. Michelle has also had four (?) c-sections and she is in her 40s. It's not impossible for her to have a normal, healthy pregnancy, but she is taking on significant risks to have this baby. It just seems rather reckless to play the odds when you'd leave 19 children motherless if the odds don't fall in your favor.

I like the Duggars, and I agree with you 100%. But to them, they aren't playing the odds. They are honoring their very legalistic biblical views. I don't think they will stop having babies until it is physically impossible for Michelle to have them. I hope that it isn't made impossible by her death. Like a pp said, I would HATE to see all those children left motherless. That would be tragic.

:iagree: No matter what, they have the same 24 hours in a day that the rest of us do. Their children may get enough attention since many are older and can give attention to the younger ones, but that does not mean that they each get enough individual parental attention.

Wow! I really thought they might be done after what happened with the last one. By all appearances, they are great parents. As a sidenote--I wonder what the record is?

Higher than 20.;)

The man who helped pour the concrete when we built our house in 2003 was one of 24. Yes, they were all from the same set of parents.

I like the Duggars, and I agree with you 100%. But to them, they aren't playing the odds. They are honoring their very legalistic biblical views. I don't think they will stop having babies until it is physically impossible for Michelle to have them. I hope that it isn't made impossible by her death. Like a pp said, I would HATE to see all those children left motherless. That would be tragic.

I know. I do wonder how much worse they'd all feel if birthing babies killed her. I imagine it would be worse than usual if they believed God would protect her from biology. :(