Menu

Cornbread recipe without flour? Lost mine. :(

I used to have a recipe for cornbread that called for heating up the oil then adding the cornmeal mixture, which did NOT contain flour (and little to no sugar), straight into the hot oil, mixing, then baking.

I think it was on the side of the cornmeal bag, which was tossed when empty a few years ago. The new bags have recipes calling for equal parts flour & a lot of sugar. I've checked the back of other brands' bags that sell here w/o luck.

Do you have a recipe like this you can share? Chili just isn't the same without it.

Thanks!

Cornbread without sugar is Southern Style, with sugar is Yankee style. I think my husband would divorce me if I made Yankee Style.

This is the recipe that I use, that is on the back of Martha White, Self-Rising Buttermilk Corn Meal Mix

Ingredients

Non-stick cooking spray

1 Large Egg

1 1/3 cups milk

1/4 cup vegetable oil

2 cups Corn Meal Mix

Directions

Heat oven to 450F. Coat 8-9 inch cast iron skillet with non-stick cooking spray. Place skillet in oven 7-8 mins or until hot.

Beat egg in medium bowl. Stir in milk, oil and corn meal mix until smooth. Batter should be creamy and runny. Pour into prepared skillet.

Bake 20 to 25 mins or until golden brown.

I do add 2 tbl of flour. It seems to make it hold together a little better.

This is my husbands favorite:

1 1/2 C. cornmeal

3/4 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp coarse salt

2 eggs

1 3/4 C. buttermilk

1/2 stick butter, melted

Heat oven to 425 and put cast iron pan in to heat up. Combine wet ingred., combine dry ingred., combine all. Thoroughly grease pan (dh likes it when I use bacon fat, but trust your own limits...:D) and pour in batter. Bake 25- 30 min or until the toothpick comes out dry.

Cornbread without sugar is Southern Style, with sugar is Yankee style. I think my husband would divorce me if I made Yankee Style.

My husband's grandmother (born in 1906) spent her entire life in the mountains near the Cumberland Gap, and her recipe has sugar in it.

Mamaw's Cornbread

2c self rising white cornmeal mix

1-1/4 to 1-1/2 c buttermilk

¼ c vegetable oil or bacon drippings

1 egg

1 T sugar

Preheat a well greased 8 or 10 inch oven safe skillet. Mix all ingredients until just combined. Pour into pan. Bake at 425 for 20-30 minutes.

Edited by floridamom

I used to have a recipe for cornbread that called for heating up the oil then adding the cornmeal mixture, which did NOT contain flour (and little to no sugar), straight into the hot oil, mixing, then baking.

I think it was on the side of the cornmeal bag, which was tossed when empty a few years ago. The new bags have recipes calling for equal parts flour & a lot of sugar. I've checked the back of other brands' bags that sell here w/o luck.

Do you have a recipe like this you can share? Chili just isn't the same without it.

Thanks!

I've never put flour in cornbread....:confused: I use cornmeal mix so all I add is milk (some prefer buttermilk), egg and oil. Sometimes I add a TBLE of sugar but 'sweet' cornbread is yuck to me.

My husband's grandmother (born in 1906) spent her entire life in the mountains near the Cumberland Gap, and her recipe has sugar in it.

Mamaw's Cornbread

2c self rising white cornmeal mix

1-1/4 to 1-1/2 c buttermilk

¼ c vegetable oil or bacon drippings

1 egg

1 T sugar

Preheat a well greased 8 or 10 inch oven safe skillet. Mix all ingredients until just combined. Pour into pan. Bake at 425 for 20-30 minutes.

This is BARELY sugar. It doesn't make it sweet like Yankees like it. (I too add a TBLE of sugar sometimes)