Menu

Wardrobe basics or essentials

What do you consider the basic or essentials for a woman in her late twenties or early thirties?

I'm no help. I'm turning 34 tomorrow and my wardrobe sounds pretty much exactly like what you describe. Jeans, t-shirts (with cardigans when it's cold), sneakers (usually a "mary jane" type sneaker). I tend to think clothes like that are just fine for women of any age. I have every intention of being an old lady wearing jeans and t-shirts. ;)

I do some consulting work - just enough to need a few not-too-memorable outfits to rotate through - and this fall I had a week-long conference to go to where I needed to look a little more pulled-together than my usual jeans and t-shirts... so the few outfits needed to be expanded to a week with some flexibility (weather, indoors/outdoors, extra dressy for some parts, comfortable shoes for others...)

What I have now would sustain me in "office nice" but not "interview nice" for about a week. If I really wore it every day I'd double the numbers.....

5 khakis (2 black, 2 grey, 1 brown)

6 blouses (2 white, 1 black, then oxford blue, plum, and a really excellent chartreuse... LOL)

2 nice sweaters (1 brown, 1 blue)

2 jackets (1 black, 1 green)

4 skirts (2 heavier for winter, 2 light for summer)

1 wool jumper (not a mom-jumper -- short and cute with tights)

It's still mostly neutral, and almost everything goes with almost everything else. I have one pair of "good" shoes (chunky heel, comfortable), and one pair of fabulous boots to go with a winter skirt. I have sandals to go with the summer skirts.

I still wear the jeans most of the time, but khakis and a sweater isn't any harder to put together, and I do really like the look! :)

You could add to that with some button-down blouses, at least one of which should be a crisp white cotton one. They can go over a tee. Layering always looks more chic. Consider cardigans as well depending on your climate. If you have the $$ and would want to go a bit dressier, invest in a good blazer in a solid neutral colour. A corduroy blazer is more casual and you'd get good mileage of that, too.

Invest in some scarves you love and some costume jewellery that you love. Wear them. Get a handbag to die for -- but I wouldn't recommend dropping a fortune on one. It doesn't have to be expensive, but it should be something more exciting than your basic black or brown carry-all.

Get a couple of skirts that will go with anything. If you're more casual, look for a nice denim skirt, but not in blue (that always looks a little cheap). Go for black denim instead -- about knee length. Make the other skirt something that you could dress up or down -- basic black or charcoal, or if you wear mostly browns, then brown.

Get at least one good dress and one day dress.

Trade in a few jeans days for wearing pants instead. Try on a lot of pants to see what is most comfortable to you for an everyday pant. Chinos or khakis are good, but for the love of Pete, do not get a pleated front pant! I've noticed a lot of pants that have a bit of spandex in them for comfort and they make them in every style imaginable. Don't disregard dressier looking pants. Even those are being made much more comfortable and durable than they used to be.

Get rid of the sneakers unless you need them for jogging. You can find very comfortable shoes that serve the same purpose. Try flats or a nice loafer instead. Get a pair of boots you love. They can be any shaft height, any heel height, any colour, any style as long as you love them and love wearing them. Then, wear them.

Promise yourself to dress outside your usual box at least once a week. Then go to twice a week. Soon you'll be dressing up a lot more on a regular basis. It doesn't have to be fancy, and it can still be jeans and tee, but if you accessorize and be purposeful about what you put on, it will look much more pulled together for you.

Edited by Audrey

I do some consulting work - just enough to need a few not-too-memorable outfits to rotate through - and this fall I had a week-long conference to go to where I needed to look a little more pulled-together than my usual jeans and t-shirts... so the few outfits needed to be expanded to a week with some flexibility (weather, indoors/outdoors, extra dressy for some parts, comfortable shoes for others...)

What I have now would sustain me in "office nice" but not "interview nice" for about a week. If I really wore it every day I'd double the numbers.....

6 blouses (2 white, 1 black, then oxford blue, plum, and a really excellent chartreuse... LOL)

It's still mostly neutral, and almost everything goes with almost everything else. I have one pair of "good" shoes (chunky heel, comfortable), and one pair of fabulous boots to go with a winter skirt. I have sandals to go with the summer skirts.

I still wear the jeans most of the time, but khakis and a sweater isn't any harder to put together, and I do really like the look! :)

This is a good list. I'm saving it with an eye toward improving my wardrobe. Do all homeschool mom types love a list? :D I have a couple of pairs of black slacks that I wear a LOT to add to the list. Thank you, New York & Co. and J.C.Penny's.

Pull together the colors that you love and look good on you for the shirts. I could never, ever wear chartreuse, but plums, dark greens, and brick reds are good. Add a print or two to spice things up. A variety of necklines makes a wardrobe more interesting.

Good shoes up a look, too. When I trade my sneakers for Clarks, I'm still comfy, but I look more dressed.

A scarf can sub for a blazer sometimes...splash, color, and style...plus it's warm, too.

Get a pair of boots you love. They can be any shaft height, any heel height, any colour, any style as long as you love them and love wearing them. Then, wear them.

So, do my cowboy boots count?:D I have a pair of nice black ones but I wear them for riding and chores as well as going to town.

I need my tennis shoes for my custom orthodics (which do fit in my boots as well).

This is a good list. I'm saving it with an eye toward improving my wardrobe. Do all homeschool mom types love a list? :D

I love lists, but this bunch came about in fits and starts, and happening across perfect pieces in unlikely places (and boots on clearance! wheeee!) The only things I set out to get were the boots and the plum-colored blouse (to go with one of the skirts, for a specific dinner). I plan to be working in about 2 years... and between now and then I'll be keeping an eye out for a few more pieces to round out the collection.

I'm completely jealous of DH who gets away with five pairs of identical black slacks and 8 or 9 polo shirts! But then I have fabulous boots... so maybe I shouldn't complain. ;)

It's still mostly neutral, and almost everything goes with almost everything else. I have one pair of "good" shoes (chunky heel, comfortable), and one pair of fabulous boots to go with a winter skirt. I have sandals:) to go with the summer skirts.

Thanks! Very helpful. :)

You could add to that with some button-down blouses, at least one of which should be a crisp white cotton one. They can go over a tee. Layering always looks more chic. Consider cardigans as well depending on your climate. If you have the $$ and would want to go a bit dressier, invest in a good blazer in a solid neutral colour. A corduroy blazer is more casual and you'd get good mileage of that, too.

Invest in some scarves you love and some costume jewellery that you love. Wear them. Get a handbag to die for -- but I wouldn't recommend dropping a fortune on one. It doesn't have to be expensive, but it should be something more exciting than your basic black or brown carry-all.

Get a couple of skirts that will go with anything. If you're more casual, look for a nice denim skirt, but not in blue (that always looks a little cheap). Go for black denim instead -- about knee length. Make the other skirt something that you could dress up or down -- basic black or charcoal, or if you wear mostly browns, then brown.

Get at least one good dress and one day dress.

Trade in a few jeans days for wearing pants instead. Try on a lot of pants to see what is most comfortable to you for an everyday pant. Chinos or khakis are good, but for the love of Pete, do not get a pleated front pant! I've noticed a lot of pants that have a bit of spandex in them for comfort and they make them in every style imaginable. Don't disregard dressier looking pants. Even those are being made much more comfortable and durable than they used to be.

Get rid of the sneakers unless you need them for jogging. You can find very comfortable shoes that serve the same purpose. Try flats or a nice loafer instead. Get a pair of boots you love. They can be any shaft height, any heel height, any colour, any style as long as you love them and love wearing them. Then, wear them.

Promise yourself to dress outside your usual box at least once a week. Then go to twice a week. Soon you'll be dressing up a lot more on a regular basis. It doesn't have to be fancy, and it can still be jeans and tee, but if you accessorize and be purposeful about what you put on, it will look much more pulled together for you.

Thanks so much for your advice!! :)

Get a handbag to die for -- but I wouldn't recommend dropping a fortune on one. It doesn't have to be expensive, but it should be something more exciting than your basic black or brown carry-all.

Fabulously helpful post. Love it. I'm working through two style books at the moment and am taking notes. I have great difficulty finding tops to match skirts. I hardly ever do T-shirts anymore. I think selling skirts without "suggested" tops should be banned. ;)

If one has fabulous shoes, who cares what the clothes are like?!?

:D

Signed,

Imelda

:lol: I have to say that I agree, Imelda. :lol:

I love lists, but this bunch came about in fits and starts, and happening across perfect pieces in unlikely places (and boots on clearance! wheeee!)

These books might come in very handy. I love lists also. Tim Gunn's show has a great list. His book has a list. I don't have his book, but would like to get it. I watch his show regularly, however, so I get the basic idea.

timGunnBook-731369.jpg

The Lucky Shopping Manual

13787188.JPG

Dress Your Best

13700057.JPG

How to Never Look Fat Again - even if you don't have a weight problem.

HowToNeverLookFat_sm.jpg