Menu

Nook Tablet...and lower prices on Nooks.

Thanks! I must say that I think Barnes and Noble has really blown it. Amazon has so much content behind the Kindle Fire that Barnes and Noble really has no choices beyond compete on price or lose. They missed the price point that Amazon is offering. Even if it is a better device, without the content it will be doomed.

That leaves Apple and Amazon to carve up the market, IMO. We'll see...

Thanks! I must say that I think Barnes and Noble has really blown it. Amazon has so much content behind the Kindle Fire that Barnes and Noble really has no choices beyond compete on price or lose. They missed the price point that Amazon is offering. Even if it is a better device, without the content it will be doomed.

That leaves Apple and Amazon to carve up the market, IMO. We'll see...

:iagree:

I don't know, preloaded with netflix and pandora, ability to throw in my sd card from my camera....I think nook might be onto something, not to mention I am not tied to amazon prime then for streaming...
Interesting. I see Pandora in the Amazon Appstore for Android, but I do not see Netflix. Do you think they intend to block Pandora from the Kindle Fire, as well? I agree this could be an issue for Amazon. It will be interesting to see how this plays out!

So here are some interesting questions:

- Will it be possible to load Kindle software on the Nook Tablet? If not, will Kindle Cloud be supported for any of the browsers that will run on Nook Tablet?

- Conversely, will it be possible to load Nook software on the Kindle Fire?

My issue with the Nook Tablet is that we have had a Nook for over one year now and I have not built up any library to speak of. But we do NOT have any Kindles, yet, but already we have a library of hundreds of Kindle books.

For whatever reason it just seems easier for me to acquire Kindle titles than Nook titles.

So here are some interesting questions:

- Will it be possible to load Kindle software on the Nook Tablet? If not, will Kindle Cloud be supported for any of the browsers that will run on Nook Tablet?

- Conversely, will it be possible to load Nook software on the Kindle Fire?

My issue with the Nook Tablet is that we have had a Nook for over one year now and I have not built up any library to speak of. But we do NOT have any Kindles, yet, but already we have a library of hundreds of Kindle books.

For whatever reason it just seems easier for me to acquire Kindle titles than Nook titles.

Same here with my iPad. Lot's of Kindle books, but no Nook books (despite having the app). Of course virtually all of the Kindle book were "freebies" so I'm not sure how the economics plays out ;)

Bill

I don't know, preloaded with netflix and pandora, ability to throw in my sd card from my camera....I think nook might be onto something, not to mention I am not tied to amazon prime then for streaming...

:iagree:

My dh is torn between getting the fire or the nook tablet...I'm pretty sold on the nook tablet...I love the kids apps, the educational apps, pre-loaded with netflix..so no added expense to add streaming anything...I love the recordable storybooks, the free friday titles, the interactive magazines, the quickness of the nook when touched..pages flip fast..I like it overall more than the fire and before I found out about the nook tablet I wanted the fire. Nook just upped it a bit and for that I'll pay a bit more for more storage and the other cool things I said above.

I did hear that the Nook won't support Kindle software and vice versa.

Edited by mamaofblessings

Same here with my iPad. Lot's of Kindle books, but no Nook books (despite having the app). Of course virtually all of the Kindle book were "freebies" so I'm not sure how the economics plays out ;)

Bill

I have a huge library of Nook books ... And had a great "above and beyond" customer service experience with B&N when the TSA smashed my Nook for no reason.

I know little about Kindle or Nook, but while at vision therapy for dd, I was told (when looking at a lady's Kindle) that Nook can have a card so you can use Kindle things. Dd will be in college next year, and her college's bookstore is B&N so she can download textbooks if she wants.

Is it my imagination, or are they getting smaller??? And hive, let me know if I was told wrong about Nook taking Kindle things!

I know little about Kindle or Nook, but while at vision therapy for dd, I was told (when looking at a lady's Kindle) that Nook can have a card so you can use Kindle things. Dd will be in college next year, and her college's bookstore is B&N so she can download textbooks if she wants.

Is it my imagination, or are they getting smaller??? And hive, let me know if I was told wrong about Nook taking Kindle things!

I put an Android SD card in my Nook Color that essentially makes it an Android tablet. I have the Kindle and Kobo apps that allow me to download books from both of those sources, as well as Barnes and Noble.

I have a huge library of Nook books ... And had a great "above and beyond" customer service experience with B&N when the TSA smashed my Nook for no reason.

Dh bought me a Nook Color for Christmas/B-day last year. I don't have a big library. Many of the books I tried to download (admittedly as free NookBooks) never showed up. I call customer service and talked to people in a couple of stores here. Customer service was next to useless. They identified the problem (apparently - at least for the books I wanted to download - the company/entity/whatever in charge of making the books available as free Nook Books formatted the books incorrectly. They then told me the problem was fixed; but, alas and alack, I still cannot download those books I wanted. Customer service just kept saying the problem was fixed, despite the fact that I can't download them. Frustrating!

Despite the fact that dh bought me the Nook Color (and used his birthday money to pay for part of it :001_wub:) I simply can't afford to buy lots of books. The ones I picked out were ones I really wanted to read, can't find in any library where I live, and weren't for sale. *sigh*

Oh wow that would be neat to root the devices. However I'm sure they won't support that on their devices.

Either way I was SOLD on the nook tablet. But really am still bouncing the ball back and forth because I saw a link article on another post about these two and again I'm torn on which. Thank goodness I have til Februaryish to decide. lol!

Oh wow that would be neat to root the devices. However I'm sure they won't support that on their devices.

Either way I was SOLD on the nook tablet. But really am still bouncing the ball back and forth because I saw a link article on another post about these two and again I'm torn on which. Thank goodness I have til Februaryish to decide. lol!

Do you mean B&N won't support it? They won't if you root it, but I didn't root mine. I bought an SD car that has Android on it. If I have any trouble with my device, I can just pop out the SD car and-voila! it's a Nook Color again. I love that I'm not tied to Barnes and Noble OR Amazon on it! Overall, my favorite e-reader for reading is my 3rd Gen Kindle, but for doing *everything* it's the NC.

What I'm not understanding is how the Nook Tablet is different than the Nook Color either rooted or with an Android SD.

You can read about N2A cards here.

• 2 weeks later...
Do you mean B&N won't support it? They won't if you root it, but I didn't root mine. I bought an SD car that has Android on it. If I have any trouble with my device, I can just pop out the SD car and-voila! it's a Nook Color again. I love that I'm not tied to Barnes and Noble OR Amazon on it! Overall, my favorite e-reader for reading is my 3rd Gen Kindle, but for doing *everything* it's the NC.

What I'm not understanding is how the Nook Tablet is different than the Nook Color either rooted or with an Android SD.

Bumping this up. I'm intrigued about the N2A card. My kids want Fires but the lack of parental and credit card control worry me. I'm leaning towards the Nook Color or Tablet. The refurbished Colors are only $149, so that and a N2A card would be awesome. Or would it just be worth getting the Tablet?

I put an Android SD card in my Nook Color that essentially makes it an Android tablet. I have the Kindle and Kobo apps that allow me to download books from both of those sources, as well as Barnes and Noble.

Dh did this with his Nook Color, but he made his own card with an old SD card he had from another device. You can download the Android files for free. He did not root the tablet, just used the SD card to boot from, and it is an Android tablet. (I'm probably not using the right terms here. :tongue_smilie:)

The salesman at BN told me the only difference once you use the SD card will be the tablet having high def video.