Menu

Awesome TTC holiday sale!

OK, I just got the latest catalog from The Teaching Co. to discover that they've got some fantastic deals (some courses as low as $12.95) plus an additional $10 savings on any order placed by Nov. 29 using coupon code RKM6. Not sure if this code is good for everyone or just previous customers or what, but I thought I'd share just in case you're looking for some great deals on their courses.

Just wanted to clarify -- it looks like the holiday catalog prices are even cheaper than what their website sale prices are. For example, DVD set of "The Art of Public Speaking" is regularly $199.95. It's listed on sale on the website for $39.95, but on sale even more in their catalog for $14.95.

Superb-do you think any of these courses would be appropriate for a 5th grade, assuming the interest is there? I am not familiar with their "level" although I assume it's mainly adult.

I think it would depend on interest. My 9yo has enjoyed one of the Math courses (Art and Craft of Problem Solving) and will be watching the Secrets of Mental Math soon. Impossible Physics is another enjoyable course (might need a physics-loving adult to help explain some concepts). We also listen to the wonderful Elements of Jazz in the car.

Superb-do you think any of these courses would be appropriate for a 5th grade, assuming the interest is there? I am not familiar with their "level" although I assume it's mainly adult.

I think their high school courses would be fine for 5th grade.

As for the rest, I think a 5th grader would have to be "really into" a subject, whether it's literature, science, music, etc. My 10th grader doesn't always get everything that is said, but if it's something he's into, or he's to to learn anyways, he likes getting what he can out of them.

Julie

Is it better to get them on DVD, or are the audio downloads just as good?

If it's one with audio downloads available, I don't think it will matter all that much - the audio CDs I've listened to have been just fine. The DVDs for those courses won't be that heavy on the visuals - mostly just the professors talking. Some courses are only available on DVD because the visuals make or break the lecture - art appreciation, for example.

I'm wondering if anyone has used the video download option? Is it a quick download? Does it take up oodles of space on your computer and slow it down? Any other concerns with video download (as opposed to audio)?

I'm wondering if anyone has used the video download option? Is it a quick download? Does it take up oodles of space on your computer and slow it down? Any other concerns with video download (as opposed to audio)?

I just downloaded the Louvre one. It is 12 lectures that are each 30 minutes long. I think each was about 350 mb. It took probably and hour or so to download the whole thing and we have standard internet. It hasn't slowed my computer down so far.

Yes, my catalog is "The 2011 Ultimate Holiday Gift-Giving Guide," with a wintery scene of a castle on the cover and a red bow on the bottom right corner.

I am so confused. I also have the holiday catalog with the winter/castle/red bow on the cover, but the Art of Public Speaking you mentioned you saw for $14.95 says $39.95 in my catalog. And there is nothing about $10 off, although I get a free tote bag if I order by 11/29. Is it possible they have different versions of the catalog for different regions of the country? :confused:

And, I am a long-time customer. Hmmm....

I am so confused. I also have the holiday catalog with the winter/castle/red bow on the cover, but the Art of Public Speaking you mentioned you saw for $14.95 says $39.95 in my catalog. And there is nothing about $10 off, although I get a free tote bag if I order by 11/29. Is it possible they have different versions of the catalog for different regions of the country? :confused:

That's the one I have. I used the $10.00 off coupon code instead of the tote bag. That code I found in this thread. Sometimes the catalog doesn't have all the options for a series listed. For instance the audio download of Famous Greeks is 14.95 online, it only lists the DVD and CD price in the catalog.

I've been having trouble staying on their e-mail list (they're working on it), but I think additional codes come from those e-mails.

I'm guessing they must have different catalogs sent to ... different geographic regions or different types of customers or some other demographic. I've only bought one course from them (Van Diver's "The Iliad") about 8-12 months ago and then borrowed a few from our neighboring library, so maybe they send the "awesome deals" catalog to customers who haven't bought something in a while?

Here are the codes again from my catalog:

*Coupon code RKM6 - save $10

*Priority code 61328 - special catalog pricing

Once you plug in the priority code (when you have items in your cart), the pricing will adjust from the website price to the special catalog price. You can use both codes in the same transaction, and you apparently can use them for additional orders. They expire Nov. 29.

Happy shopping!

Thanks so much. I just bought six audio downloads for less than $27 total for all of them; plus video downloads of Museum Masterpieces of the Louvre and Secrets of Mental Math for about $10 for both.

I barely ever post, which I'd like to change, and I thought I'd start by saying thanks!