Menu

If your high schooler does labs at home...

Do they do them on their own, or do you supervise? If on their own, how much lab experience did they have before you let them do that?

We are doing some of the BJU Physical Science labs. They always watch the lab (on the DVD) before we do it, so they should have a basic understanding of how to do it. I've been reluctant to step back, but I wonder if it's time.

I have a responsible 8th grader and an ADD, cut-as-many-corners-as-possible 9th grader.

Thanks!

Last year for BJU Life Sci, DD watched the labs on the DVD then mostly did them herself in the kitchen while I was doing my own thing (or working w/ younger DD) at the dining table. I was on hand, but she knew more about it than I did since she watched the DVD.

This year, DH is teaching DD Physics Labs (using LabPaq) and he's very hands on with her. They figure everything out together since there's no DVD to watch ahead of time.

I stand by and supervise if possible.

If I'm too busy, I have my teens make a video of themselves doing each lab. Sometimes I end up watching these late at night after everybody's in bed. :lol: My second son really gets into this. He locks himself into the kitchen, puts on his lab coat and goggles, and a totally new personality emerges. Fun!

My older son balked at making videos at first, but likes the idea of making DVDs for his little brothers to watch when they do high school math.

I think it is important for someone to hear what they mutter to themselves as they do labs. That's when the errors in understanding are revealed.

Whether I supervise or whether they tape it, the standards for the written lab report are the same.

We did physics labs together, because that is the one subject where we do direct, hands-on teaching. DD is performing everything, setting up, measuring, recording data - but DH or I (whoever supervises the lab) give her instructions, ask questions, discuss stuff.

I do not see lab as an assignment to be graded, but as a learning process. Especially for the error analysis and data plotting/analysis, there is a lot we have to teach so that she learns the skills we consider important for a scientist.

We are going to start chemistry lab in two weeks and will do it the same way. I feel that she learns more from the labs by having the direct interaction with us than by doing it just following some canned instructions.

We did physics labs together, because that is the one subject where we do direct, hands-on teaching. DD is performing everything, setting up, measuring, recording data - but DH or I (whoever supervises the lab) give her instructions, ask questions, discuss stuff.

I do not see lab as an assignment to be graded, but as a learning process. Especially for the error analysis and data plotting/analysis, there is a lot we have to teach so that she learns the skills we consider important for a scientist.

We are going to start chemistry lab in two weeks and will do it the same way. I feel that she learns more from the labs by having the direct interaction with us than by doing it just following some canned instructions.

This is what we do. We did Biology last year (DIVE w/ BJU,) and we are doing Chemistry this year (same.) For both, I am involved in every lab. I can't imagine not having the discussion/questions during the labs.

Do they do them on their own, or do you supervise? If on their own, how much lab experience did they have before you let them do that?

We did chemistry at home but I taught a group so I did supervise. The lone boy there is known to blow stuff up so there was no way I would leave the room. :tongue_smilie:

It depends on the lab and what it involves. I did all labs with them all the time from the start, and then over the last probably 1 1/2-2 years I've been working hard to teach them proper care and use of lab equipment. It's just been in the last maybe 2-3 months that 13 yo ds dose some basic labs on his own (simple things not involving chemicals, delicate glassware, open flames or other hazards), and 16 yo dd has done maybe 1/3 of her Bio labs alone this year (she had help on all dissections and stuff involving hazards such as flames, chemicals, etc.). Looking through her Chemistry labs she's just starting, it looks like there are very few she'll be able to do without at least supervision. Still, I'm working hard to keep my hands off and to merely supervise without helping except when absolutely necessary. It is hard to stay so hands-off!!!

I think it depends on the lab program you're using.

My kids did Rainbow year 1 all on their own, or with a friend. Easy peasy. Everything's there, instructions are clear, program is tested as is with plenty of kids.

Apologia was pretty easy to do on their own, as long as I had all the materials gathered. It sometimes felt bulky to jump back & forth from reading to experimenting, but most of the experiments in General and Physical were pretty easy to do at home.

Right now, we're using Experiencing Biology, and it really requires me to be involved in helping him think through the questions, as well as evaluating what isn't working with our particular specimen, etc.

Julie