Menu

Is there anything similar to AAS without all the hands on stuff?

justLisa

DS is more of a book kid. I don't care for the flash cards and tiles. I don't know why I am having a hard time trying to figure out how to use this without the extras. Just teach the rules and give spelling tests with the lists? I DO like the phonics/rule based program.

And how long does it take you to complete a level? DS has never needed nor liked anything that uses manipulatives or flash cards....that kind of thing. He can retain a great deal of information and remembers the rules after I explain them once. I'm getting caught up on all the "stuff" it comes with and trying to figure out a schedule. I have had this longer that I care to admit without fully implementing this into our daily.

So IF you use AAS in this way what do you do and how long does it take?

Or is there something very similar and maybe more open and go for DS who is already a fluent reader? I am having such a hard time lately with all of our curriculum being so teacher intensive. With 2nd grade and kinder I realize it is necessary but DS has great comprehension and if there is something he could read/do more independently it would help. He LOVES spelling and it's the one thing we don't have much time for because it takes me so long to set up the lessons with AAS.

I think I'm just totally overloaded lately and having a hard time being very creative.

I'm not positive on this, but I think there's a book called The ABC's and all Their Tricks that might work. Also, the book How To Teach Spelling is supposed to be similar to AAS but less "stuff." I have not seen either of these in real life so I don't know for sure, but I've heard that. Also, Spell to Write and Read has less "stuff" but it's still a pretty intense experience for the teacher, LOL.

This is my first year with AAS and my son does NOT love spelling. He is in first grade. It's getting better now with this program, he doesn't kick and scream when it's time for spelling, but it's just not his thing. He is a fluent reader though. Level 1, we did pretty much a step a day and it took about 20 minutes each day. We just started Level 2 a few weeks ago. Now, I spend 3-4 days on a step. Our schedule looks roughly like this:

M-Teach Lesson and review phonograms (I give him a little phonogram quiz)

T-new words We aren't big on using the tiles. My DS prefers to write on the white board or driveway chalk

W-More words or phrases (depending on how he did with the first set of words)

TH-Sentences or phrases

We are very flexible with this. Sometimes he breezes through the words, other steps are more challenging so we spend more time.

I think, if your DS doesn't need the tiles and flashcards, don't use them. They are there if needed, but if he gets it, move on.

The How To Spell (HTTS) workbooks use the same (O-G with rules) approach to spelling but it's workbook based. They are inexpensive if you wanted to try it and CBD has samples to preview though they picked weird pages to show. You can look at the contents to see coverage. I know at least for levels 1 and 2, which I have here, you don't need anything beyond the workbook.

Edited by sbgrace

I'll ditto the How to Teach Spelling recommendation. Get the appropriate workbook. They aren't labeled by grade level. Book 1 is grade 1. Book 2 is grades 2-3. Book 3 is grades 4-6. And book 4 is grades 7+, IIRC.

I have book 3, but should have gotten book 2. :tongue_smilie:

You also want the teacher's manual, which has the words and dictation sentences that cover all 4 workbooks. Some people use just the TM. For ease of use, I'd get the workbook though.

The nice thing about HTTS is that all of the levels are right there in one TM, so if your child is ready for harder words/sentences, you can use them! In AAS, you had to wait until you bought a higher level to get harder words/sentences.

I'll ditto the How to Teach Spelling recommendation. Get the appropriate workbook. They aren't labeled by grade level. Book 1 is grade 1. Book 2 is grades 2-3. Book 3 is grades 4-6. And book 4 is grades 7+, IIRC.

I have book 3, but should have gotten book 2. :tongue_smilie:

You also want the teacher's manual, which has the words and dictation sentences that cover all 4 workbooks. Some people use just the TM. For ease of use, I'd get the workbook though.

The nice thing about HTTS is that all of the levels are right there in one TM, so if your child is ready for harder words/sentences, you can use them! In AAS, you had to wait until you bought a higher level to get harder words/sentences.

DId you use AAS for a while? I have 1-4 but have not opened 3 or 4 yet. I am trying to read through it and just pick out the rules and use spelling lists but if I am not going to use it even close to as is maybe it would be easier to have something less teacher intensive. They actually can't stand writing on white boards and prefer pencil and paper.

I'm having one of those weeks and it's only Monday! I just want SOMETHING we have to be easy LOL

Would one of you mind explaining how HTTS works? Is it a lesson that you teach with the spelling rules? Have you seen good results?

I am mainly looking for a spelling program for my 8 year old who is actually a good reader and speller but makes some very strange mistakes and I think she needs some teaching on the rules. (we are just taking her out of school in January) I would also be using it for my 5 year old when he is ready.

Thanks!!

Would one of you mind explaining how HTTS works? Is it a lesson that you teach with the spelling rules? Have you seen good results?

I am mainly looking for a spelling program for my 8 year old who is actually a good reader and speller but makes some very strange mistakes and I think she needs some teaching on the rules. (we are just taking her out of school in January) I would also be using it for my 5 year old when he is ready.

Thanks!!

The HTTS TM lists all the phonograms and syllabication up front. Then you go through word lists similar to AAS, where all of the words fit a certain rule, though it can go further than AAS because more phonograms have been introduced already. The TM has a long list of words and dictation sentences for each rule/pattern/etc., so the easy ones are for the younger grades, and the harder ones are for the older grades. It's all one list with no grade levels listed, so you just pick what your child needs. There is also some work with nonsense words. There is an example in the front of the TM of how a lesson without the workbook can go. Basically, it shows you dictating some phonograms, nonsense words, regular words from whatever section you're working in, and dictation sentences. If you're using the workbook, it will have the student work with a certain set of words, and there may be a mention at the bottom for you to dictate from a section of the TM. You cycle back through the TM each year, and some of the more advanced things are listed as being for 6th grade and up. It says which items to teach in which grades. So you start at the beginning, then work your way through until you hit the end of what that grade level child needs. Then the next year, you start back at the beginning and work through it again with the harder words/sentences, gradually adding new sections as you progress through the grades.

It does not hold your hand like AAS does. No scripted lessons. But if you've used AAS, you can easily figure out a good method for you. I don't think there is "one right way" to use the program.

Well, AAS is a spin-off of Spalding, which doesn't have all the hands-on stuff. And once you know what you're doing, Spalding is pretty much open-and-go.

AAS is an O-G spinoff, not a Spalding spinoff. HTTS is an O-G spinoff. Spalding is also an O-G spinoff. :) I agree that Spalding is a good choice for no hands-on stuff.

That's the reason why I bought the book.

I wanted to try Spalding but I don't know where/how to start?:confused:

Check past Spalding threads, and also look at the samples in the SWR yahoo group. I know SWR is a different program, but it's close enough that it gives you a good idea of how to use WRTR. Once I saw the samples of SWR notebooks, I had my aha moment and understood WRTR (it helped that I've used AAS though - teacher training!).

Boscopup- You mentioned that using HTTS would be fine if one has used AAS. What if I haven't? Actually, I haven't used anything as I will be brand new to homeschooling all 3 of my kids.

In this case, do you think I could use HTTS or would you recommend something else?

thanks again.

Check past Spalding threads, and also look at the samples in the SWR yahoo group. I know SWR is a different program, but it's close enough that it gives you a good idea of how to use WRTR. Once I saw the samples of SWR notebooks, I had my aha moment and understood WRTR (it helped that I've used AAS though - teacher training!).

Thanks, I'll check the SWR yahoo group.:001_smile:

We are happy with AAS (about to finish level 2), but it's expensive.

Well, just to throw another one out there.... The Logic of English by Denise Eide (the book itself) is a gem. We've been using SWR and I have not gotten as good a grasp of this method as I have from this one book. It is as if a cloud has been lifted. I admit, I probably just needed more time to get used to SWR but time is something I don't have much of, so I am considering switching when her curriculum comes out. If we don't I still have the book as a supplement. We are currently trying the sample lessons and it is truly open and go and very uncluttered. And the biggest miracle of all is that my children are actually enjoying it. The younger ones have a sudden interest in spelling out words. I did buy the game book and game cards she has on her website and I am asked daily if we can play a spelling game. She just has a way of getting right to the point and making it interesting. The one thing that I'm on the fence about is that it includes grammar and a small of composition as does SWR, but of obviously those parts can be skipped. I know the price seems steep but I emailed Pedia learning and was told that the advanced curriculum can be used with children that already have phonemic awareness and can be followed up with any other word root program. I love the fact that Denise Eide responded to the email herself.

I know I sound like a commercial but I just can't get over how great it is. I am just anamored with this book!

Edited by MyLittleBears

Spelling Plus with the optional Spelling Dictation is easy to use and has rules and focuses on the most common 1,000 words in English. It is supposed to go up to grade 6, but a good speller taught with phonics will be done with all the words by grade 3 or 4.

The series is by Susan Anthony, you can see it at Rainbow Resource.

http://rainbowresource.com/product/sku/014528/ff96a6b13bd1743821ed48b9

http://rainbowresource.com/product/sku/004554/ff96a6b13bd1743821ed48b9

Boscopup- You mentioned that using HTTS would be fine if one has used AAS. What if I haven't? Actually, I haven't used anything as I will be brand new to homeschooling all 3 of my kids.

In this case, do you think I could use HTTS or would you recommend something else?

I think with the workbook, it'd be easy enough. You might have to study the TM a bit more to learn the phonics yourself. It's not weird and convoluted like some other programs. ;) The rules are laid out clearly, the phonograms are laid out clearly, the words and sentences are laid out clearly. The workbook tells you what to do and has exercises for a set of words. Unfortunately, most of the samples you'll find online are horrible, like one for the first grade book just has the kid writing their name and address or something? That's not what these books are like.

I think with the workbook, it'd be easy enough. You might have to study the TM a bit more to learn the phonics yourself. It's not weird and convoluted like some other programs. ;) The rules are laid out clearly, the phonograms are laid out clearly, the words and sentences are laid out clearly. The workbook tells you what to do and has exercises for a set of words. Unfortunately, most of the samples you'll find online are horrible, like one for the first grade book just has the kid writing their name and address or something? That's not what these books are like.

Is HTTS just as teacher intensive as AAS? From looking at the samples online it looks similar, just without the cards, tiles, scripted lessons, etc. We plan to use AAS at least through level 3 but after that I would like to find something less expensive, but I don't want to give up how great AAS is . . . sounds like this might be an option.

Is HTTS just as teacher intensive as AAS? From looking at the samples online it looks similar, just without the cards, tiles, scripted lessons, etc. We plan to use AAS at least through level 3 but after that I would like to find something less expensive, but I don't want to give up how great AAS is . . . sounds like this might be an option.

I think it's a bit less teacher intensive if you use the workbook, because there is some seat work that your child can do independently. It's not totally independent like SWR or R&S.

Level 3 is where I felt like we could easily go out on our own from AAS, and I've been happy with that decision. :)

I think it's a bit less teacher intensive if you use the workbook, because there is some seat work that your child can do independently. It's not totally independent like SWR or R&S.

Level 3 is where I felt like we could easily go out on our own from AAS, and I've been happy with that decision. :)

sounds good. I want a little independence, but know it has to have some teacher involvement to be helpful at this stage. Did you finish level 3 or stop before it?

sounds good. I want a little independence, but know it has to have some teacher involvement to be helpful at this stage. Did you finish level 3 or stop before it?

I stopped about halfway through it. We were down to spelling 2 days a week, and sometimes skipping it. I just was over the program. :tongue_smilie:

That's the reason why I bought the book.

I wanted to try Spalding but I don't know where/how to start?:confused:

Spalding really is easy-peasy. :D

The short story:

Teach your child the first 45 phonograms (script included, sample dialogues), three or four a day with a young child.

Drill all phonograms daily: by dictation and by "flashing" the phonogram cards.

When dc knows the first 45, begin dictating and analyzing the words in the Extended Ayres List (script plus sample dialogue for analyzing). Continue daily drill, adding phonograms until the child knows all 70.

Do 20-30 words a week (Mrs. Spalding said 30, but seems to me that younger dc might struggle with 20; YMMV.)

The end. :D

Children under 8yo do not keep a spelling notebook. The teacher may write the rule pages on large charts to hang on the wall as reference.

The long story:

You need to study the manual (Writing Road to Reading). Everything you need to know is in there.

You'd want the phonogram cards and the Spelling Assessment Manual. The teacher guides are very good, but IMHO, most homeschoolers don't need them. If you want to also do the reading and writing lessons (many people only do the spelling), you'll need the McCall Crabbes booklets and Spalding's little readers. You could even add the extra word cards, but really, they are optional.

Another :thumbup: for How to Spell/HTTS. It teaches the spelling rules, and is easier (I don't like scripted programs, although you could basically just read out of the How to Spell book ) and is much cheaper than AAS. You can also use it with multiple kids at different levels and adjust the word difficulty to your child's needs. It takes us about 10 minutes a day. I just leave the spiral bound tm open to the section where we left off, so it's very open and go for me.

We don't use all the bells ans whistles. We write the words rather than use the tiles and review the rules they have problems with orally

:iagree:I don't even buy the other stuff. The TM is sufficient and affordable enough. My kids love to spell orally, especially my 6.8 yr old, which is recommended by Andrew of IEW. They do write words and sentences on paper or on their individual little white boards, too.

Using AAS the way we do fits our budget as well as our learning style. So OP, I give you permission to do without the bells and whistles if you are hesitant to do so and if you to continue with AAS. I love this program when I tailor it my way. My two boys (6.8 and almost 9) will finish Level 4 tomorrow. The younger one does really well because he is more a natural speller than his big brother.

:iagree:I don't even buy the other stuff. The TM is sufficient and affordable enough. My kids love to spell orally, especially my 6.8 yr old, which is recommended by Andrew of IEW. They do write words and sentences on paper or on their individual little white boards, too.

Using AAS the way we do fits our budget as well as our learning style. So OP, I give you permission to do without the bells and whistles if you are hesitant to do so and if you to continue with AAS. I love this program when I tailor it my way. My two boys (6.8 and almost 9) will finish Level 4 tomorrow. The younger one does really well because he is more a natural speller than his big brother.

Can I ask you what you do then? My kids actually ASK for spelling tests LOL. I would rather do something like the rule, list of words, test, repeat. Or something.....how do you weed through everything in the book and simplify? DD is still learning to read so I guess it is helpful with this as well. It just gets really complicated and time consuming! I have the manuals/student packs for levels 1-4

Can I ask you what you do then? My kids actually ASK for spelling tests LOL. I would rather do something like the rule, list of words, test, repeat. Or something.....how do you weed through everything in the book and simplify? DD is still learning to read so I guess it is helpful with this as well. It just gets really complicated and time consuming! I have the manuals/student packs for levels 1-4

At first when I used Level 1, I did exactly what the TM scripted with all the tiles (I put them on my frige and didn't even bother with buying a big sized white board). We did all the steps according to TM and in the end wrote words and sentences on paper (or their little individual white boards). My kids liked it at first, but soon got bored with the tiles and would rather write directly on their boards. My 6 yr old doesn't like to write so many words while my 8 yr old loves to see words on paper. Finally I gave up using the tiles and just do what the TM says, but only orally mostly. Then when it comes to the word list to write on paper, I ask them to spell either orally, or on paper according to what they like. I generally ask younger one to spell half of the words and sentences on his white board while older one can choose whichever he likes (which is usually all words or sentences on his own white board). Ds 6 learns well by oral spelling. He spells sentences very fast. We have been known to do our spelling orally and/or combined with little white boards in the waiting room for their doctor appointment, in the park or in the library.

So one step usually takes two days to finish. We do all the dictation sentences on the second day and all the rest on the first day. I take a mental note of what word(s) they spell wrong and then review with them at the end of the same lesson session and at the beginning of the next lesson. I don't even keep a list of the wrong words and just review them whenever I can.

We are done with Level 4 today. I am trying to get TM 5 and 6 used. If I can't find them used, I will switch to Spelling Power because I have a 3rd edition copy that I can use. I know I will miss the beautiful AAS TMs and the ease of use, though.

Hope this helps a little. I know every child (and mom) is different. What works well for us may or may not work well for you. But if the child (or YOU) doesn't like the manipulatives, simplify/streamline it by all means.

You may want to read these threads....

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241088&highlight=aas

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214299&highlight=aas

I bought HTTS thinking it would be easier than AAS. Somehow, for me it is not. What gets to me is all the decision making I need to do with HTTS. I want something systematic that I don't need to think about. I bought the workbooks for HTTS too and just wasn't satisfied with the amount of practice provided (though you could remedy that by adding notebook assignments).

In the end I decided to stick with AAS for Dd and Megawords for Ds who is older. I do not use the tiles with AAS. I use the TM, a dry erase board and a notebook where Dd keeps track of the rules and lists the words we practiced earlier in the week on the dry erase board. She also writes sentences and stories for the words practiced.

I do use the AAS word banks and sometimes the phonogram or rule cards.

You may want to read these threads....

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241088&highlight=aas

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214299&highlight=aas

I bought HTTS thinking it would be easier than AAS. Somehow, for me it is not. What gets to me is all the decision making I need to do with HTTS. I want something systematic that I don't need to think about. I bought the workbooks for HTTS too and just wasn't satisfied with the amount of practice provided (though you could remedy that by adding notebook assignments).

In the end I decided to stick with AAS for Dd and Megawords for Ds who is older. I do not use the tiles with AAS. I use the TM, a dry erase board and a notebook where Dd keeps track of the rules and lists the words we practiced earlier in the week on the dry erase board. She also writes sentences and stories for the words practiced.

I do use the AAS word banks and sometimes the phonogram or rule cards.

That IS helpful. I read the threads and love your idea. I'm trying to figure out how to write up a worksheet? Can you elaborate slightly? Thank you very much to everyone with ideas. I am resisting the urge to buy HTTS just yet because like I said, I DO already own AAS 1-4. AFter a number of years HS'ing I've learned there is something about almost everything that I don't love 100%. I think this IS a good program, and budget wise right now I need to make due. If it was a total flop I would of course purchase the HTTS, but they seem to have some similarities and I just need to take some time to re-do our lesson plans. I am just having a hard time finding something creative here with spelling as I am having busier and rougher than usual month with other things.

That IS helpful. I read the threads and love your idea. I'm trying to figure out how to write up a worksheet? Can you elaborate slightly? Thank you very much to everyone with ideas. I am resisting the urge to buy HTTS just yet because like I said, I DO already own AAS 1-4. AFter a number of years HS'ing I've learned there is something about almost everything that I don't love 100%. I think this IS a good program, and budget wise right now I need to make due. If it was a total flop I would of course purchase the HTTS, but they seem to have some similarities and I just need to take some time to re-do our lesson plans. I am just having a hard time finding something creative here with spelling as I am having busier and rougher than usual month with other things.

What level are you planning to use? PM me with your email address and I will e mail you some worksheets. I have stopped designing them for level 3 since dd can handle a lot more writing and they haven't seemed necessary.

I also wanted to add that I did find the phonogram cd-rom helpful for having dd practice phonograms independently.

Hmm . . . that's right where we're at. I think you're swaying me! :001_smile: