Menu

Can I use a healthier oil in a cake recipe vs. using vegetable oil?

Coconut oil works well in cakes.

I wouldn't consider applesauce healthier, but that's me. :D

curious why you wouldn't consider it healthier,

I started using applesauce in place of oil when my child went on a super lowfat medical diet.

It is just apples and water. I don't get the kind with sugar

Without getting into the "which oil is healthier debate"......

Yes, you can substitute oil in baking. Olive oil is my preferred sub, but coconut works lovely. Pay attention to how moist the batter is - for cakes, liquid oil works lovely, but for SOME cookies, the batter is too runny with liquid oils and you need to add just a little extra flour. Of course, if you are using the solid coconut oil, that's not a problem.

I use subs mainly when I need to make a recipe be non-dairy (and so avoiding butter) and have had excellent results.

Cause good fats are good for you!

only if you aren't on a fat restricted diets, a fat is a fat.

I'm not anti fat and I aim for lower sugar/carbs.

I assumed the OP wasn't anti fat and was looking to add a saturated fat verses something like shortening. I could be wrong though.

okay, ws just curious, yeah I didn't look at carbs or the fruit sugars maybe that would have been in them. But he was needing the calories just not the fats.

Just happy for now that we seemed to have gotten over that hurrdle. Although we still do quite a bit of lower fats, AND I'll probably always use the apple sauce in the brownies and muffins, I think it is probably cheaper too.

Coconut oil does have a flavor, so works better in flavored baked goods (chocolate especially) than in something that has a light flavor. That's why I tend to prefer using olive oil (always the good kind that tastes good right out of the bottle - never the cheap stuff!)

I use coconut oil in pretty much all my dessert baking. Everything comes out great.

As others have mentioned, if you don't want any hint of coconut oil taste, an extra light olive oil would be great. Don't use extra virgin olive oil unless you'd like to add a hint of olive flavor to your cake. :tongue_smilie:

only if you aren't on a fat restricted diets, a fat is a fat.

:confused: Don't know what you mean by "a fat is a fat" because different fats have very different effects on health. Monosaturated fats from olive oil, nuts, & avocados have positive effect on heart health and possibly cancer risk. Saturated fats generally have a negative effect, particularly if there are too many. Artificial trans fats have a negative effect. A ratio of too many omega 6 fats (very common in the US) over omega 3 fats has a negative effect on health. Omega 3 fats such as found in coldwater fish, flaxseed, etc. also have a positive effect.

:confused: Don't know what you mean by "a fat is a fat" because different fats have very different effects on health. Monosaturated fats from olive oil, nuts, & avocados have positive effect on heart health and possibly cancer risk. Saturated fats generally have a negative effect, particularly if there are too many. Artificial trans fats have a negative effect. A ratio of too many omega 6 fats (very common in the US) over omega 3 fats has a negative effect on health. Omega 3 fats such as found in coldwater fish, flaxseed, etc. also have a positive effect.

in digestion the pancreas digest fats the same,

my son had 2 bouts of pancreatitis, the pancreas's reaction to the fats in the body are the same. (at least from the limited amounts of education I got on the issue my son was having.

He was on a fat restricted diet, 20 grams of fat or less in a day. The GI dr never said that there were good fats for that issue.

I realize for some others that fats can be benifical in other areas. But for pancreatitis a fat is a fat.