Menu

I must be cursed--really major plumbing prob right on the heels of major asbestos

I cannot believe this.

I have spent the last 14 years living in a 110yo fixer-upper. I have lived in major construction for months out of every year.

I moved in late August to a nice little rental home, only to find out three weeks later that there was friable asbestos in the basement. We had to move in a big hurry and we also had to throw out a lot of stuff.

We've been in an even nicer rental for just about a month. Last night we thought a toilet was leaking. We mopped up the water, turned off that unit, and let the landlord know.

This morning we discovered more water. A LOT more water, both in the bathroom and in the hall and the closet and even the living room.

The plumber says it's all "black water." The carpet and drywall and flooring will all have to be replaced. I cannot believe we're having yet another housing crisis. We won't have to move for this problem (thank God!!) but it's construction, yet again. I had just unpacked my bookcases--that's a LOT of books, covering two walls. I'll have to move all that, as well as a baby grand piano, to deal with all this.

I must be cursed.

I cannot believe this.

I have spent the last 14 years living in a 110yo fixer-upper. I have lived in major construction for months out of every year.

I moved in late August to a nice little rental home, only to find out three weeks later that there was friable asbestos in the basement. We had to move in a big hurry and we also had to throw out a lot of stuff.

We've been in an even nicer rental for just about a month. Last night we thought a toilet was leaking. We mopped up the water, turned off that unit, and let the landlord know.

This morning we discovered more water. A LOT more water, both in the bathroom and in the hall and the closet and even the living room.

The plumber says it's all "black water." The carpet and drywall and flooring will all have to be replaced. I cannot believe we're having yet another housing crisis. We won't have to move for this problem (thank God!!) but it's construction, yet again. I had just unpacked my bookcases--that's a LOT of books, covering two walls. I'll have to move all that, as well as a baby grand piano, to deal with all this.

I must be cursed.

Oh my... The poor landlord. I hate to say it, but it does seem that trouble follows you! Is it possible a tampon or a large amount of kleenex with fecal material clogged the toliet? I didn't mean to be gross, but this "construction" in a rental when tenants use the toliet carelessly is something my husband and I have run into. Even little ones throwing toys down the toliet have caused thousands of dollars in damage. Of course this is inconvenient for the tenant, but the landlord has lost any hope of turning a profit from the tenants stay.

I am so sorry! I hope you didn't lose anything important. I have lived through numerous remodeling/fix it issues, though mercifully not too many water issues. My dh is a fantastic remodeler, but of course he works full-time+ at his regular job, so our projects tend to last a while. I think he has 3 major things he's working on right now. I am getting so used to walking by insulation, or by walls that need painting (wallpaper was removed), etc. It just seems fairly normal. But I do hate the mess and dust. I hope your landlord takes care of the damage in a timely manner.

Baby grand huh? I'm drooling here. But I'm not jealous....certainly not!.....ok, maybe just a teensy weensy bit.....:)

Oh my... The poor landlord. I hate to say it, but it does seem that trouble follows you! Is it possible a tampon or a large amount of kleenex with fecal material clogged the toliet? I didn't mean to be gross, but this "construction" in a rental when tenants use the toliet carelessly is something my husband and I have run into. Even little ones throwing toys down the toliet have caused thousands of dollars in damage. Of course this is inconvenient for the tenant, but the landlord has lost any hope of turning a profit from the tenants stay.

The plumber has been working on it all day. It's a tree root issue. It's absolutely not our fault.

I am so sorry! I hope you didn't lose anything important. I have lived through numerous remodeling/fix it issues, though mercifully not too many water issues. My dh is a fantastic remodeler, but of course he works full-time+ at his regular job, so our projects tend to last a while. I think he has 3 major things he's working on right now. I am getting so used to walking by insulation, or by walls that need painting (wallpaper was removed), etc. It just seems fairly normal. But I do hate the mess and dust. I hope your landlord takes care of the damage in a timely manner.

Baby grand huh? I'm drooling here. But I'm not jealous....certainly not!.....ok, maybe just a teensy weensy bit.....:)

It's a really beautiful antique baby grand, and has a lovely tone. My darling mother-in-law gave it to us. I would not have picked out such a wonderful instrument, so I am very thankful for her generosity.

After 14 years of rehab, I am used to rehab and pretty stoic about adverse living conditions. I just didn't expect it once we moved OUT of the fixer-upper, ya know? And I certainly didn't expect it on such a grand scale as the asbestos problem in our last rental.