Menu

What do you do on Thanksgiving?

What does your Thanksgiving look like? :bigear:

We usually spend it with family or friends, but it looks like we're on our own this year, which is fine by me. :001_smile: So tell me, what do you do besides cooking a big fancy dinner?

ETA: What's on your menu? And when do you usually buy what you need? As I've said, this is really the first time I have to do it all.

Edited by RainbowSprinkles

We are alone more often than not. I cook a really nice meal that I have already begun to plan.

Depending on the weather, we may go downtown to do whatever, OR a big favorite of ours has become going to the movies before dinner and then coming home to our holiday meal.

It is truly a day for us to relax and wind down.

We decided early in our marriage even before kiddos that we would stay home and not do the family shuffle-we are the only ones to not attend the mongo family dinners on both sides and have been very happy with the decision. So, for the past 20+ years we've had a big special breakfast, watch the parade, go somewhere near for a walk/hiking, have the traditional dinner, play games, listen to music. For several years we've set up/cleaned up after the local TG dinner. We always buy a new game to play in front of the fireplace. Basically, a quiet day with the ones we love being thankful for being a family & what God has given us!

For lunch we have spinach/bean dip. The recipe is as follows: 1 cup salsa, 1 package frozen creamed spinach (thawed), 1 cup cheddar, 1 can black beans drained. Microwave until cheese is melted.

For dinner we have Turkey, stuffing, broccoli cheese cornbread, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes (not that I think they're necessary, but DH thinks they are essential :001_rolleyes:) and stuffed mushrooms. For dessert I do pumpkin cheesecake.

I get all the side dishes mixed up the night before so then I can bake them when the turkey is done. Cheesecake is also done the night before.

oh whoops, forgot to add, we're usually on our own for Thanksgiving. We used to have people over, but they moved away. Now our friends that are here usually travel and we're all by ourselves.

Edited by meggie

We all stay over my parents, kids stay up late baking pies, then we get up at the crack of dawn and mom puts the bird in the oven so it can dry out like shoe leather (yes, and it just will happen every year, I'm ok with it now.) and sit around in our jammies all day watching the parade and eating waaaaay too much. I don't know why but our morning always starts out with cranberry nut coffee cake, it's always been tradition.

The kids and I also bring turkeys to a shelter.

We go to church, then come home and pop the turkey in, if we didn't do it before church (depends on when we eat). We spend a good portion of the day cooking stuff, but nothing too hard. Every other year we have my parents here (either for TG or for Xmas, but neither this year).

We watch the parade, or a movie or something, just drifting in and out of the kitchen.

We usually eat around 3 ish.

Menu is usually

Turkey (a big one--16-18 lbs)

bread stuffing (Stove Top dandied up with extra stuff)

mashed potatoes

canned sweet potatoes with a little brown sugar and marshmallows on top

green beans, usually

wild rice

salad (mandarin oranges and sugared almonds on lettuce with cukes, and a special dressing)

rolls (usually crescent rolls) and butter

Pie for dessert--usually at least pumpkin and cherry, sometimes pecan, too, or apple.

We have a somewhat big breakfast, followed by the Macy's parade. We make whatever the neighbors have asked us to make, and head to the neighbors around 3 for dinner and games. If we lived near family, we'd spend it with them. About every 2-3 years, we went to family. With the college kid's schedule, we can no longer do that as there is class the day before Thanksgiving. No time to travel.

Our thanksgivings are always private as we don't have close family. This is the first one that we really enjoyed though. Almost all of the food was homegrown (exceptions being sugar, spices, flour etc) and it was fabulous. I had the flu so I spent the morning waiting for the drugs to kick in so I could cook and I didn't get to eat much beyond a small taste of each dish. I went to bed directly after the meal but still, it was worth it to see how impressed hubby was with the food. Homegrown is miles away from the grocery store and it was nice to see the payoff of several months work.

I made

buttered cabbage

roasted root veg

mashed potato with kale

stuffing

turkey with gravy

cranberry sauce

rolls

creamed chard

pumpkin pie

apple pie

Hubby spent the day trying to convince me to postpone it to another day, playing with the kids and cutting firewood.

we're one of the few in the family that stay home and do our own thing instead of going to other family's house/houses for dinner---we tried it for a few years after we got married and it was such a rush rush deal and I wanted to start our own family traditions---so now we stay home and do our own thing--it's dh,ds,me,and fil-(fil used to go to other family for holidays but due to death/divorces in family he usually just stays home with us)----I try to do as much as I can the day before (usually whatever dressing and dessert baking/making is done wednesday)---we usually get up early and after breakfast the turkey goes in the oven and I'll make whatever sides need to be done--we usually try to eat as close to noon as we can (usually everyone's starving by then)----hubby and kiddo will each do their own thing (computers/video games) and sometimes play games together depending on their moods......I will try and stay on top of the food situation and chill out after dinner-hubby does clean-up duty after the meal......

Well, normally we prepare a few casseroles that we don't have at any other time throughout the year and buy a baked ham. We eat a big early lunch and then graze all day. Otherwise, the day is no different than any other day. It's just a valid excuse to eat all day. BUT, I'm not planning on that routine this year. Both DH and I are on Weight Watchers and the kids don't eat casseroles anyway. So... we'll buy a baked ham and serve with mashed potatoes, peas, and rolls. I'll just buy cookies for the kids. DH and I will probably have a dessert smoothie later in the day. :D

We don't have family close (or much family at all, actually), meaning that the day is just my husband, the two kids and me.

I'm raising a pair of theatre nerds, and the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade (which includes performances from current Broadway shows) is a huge thing in our house. So, we all make sure to be up and around before the TV coverage of the parade begins. We do a simple breakfast, usually bagels, and watch the parade. Some years, the kids and I work on building a gingerbread house while we watch, but that was a recent innovation and one I'm happy to skip when my son lets me get away with it.

Once the parade is over and the float with Santa on it has passed, those of us who feel into it dig into the Christmas decorations and start decking the halls. Meanwhile, I head to the kitchen to work on dinner.

During the remainder of the day, we snack and chat and listen to music until dinner time.

Our "traditional" vegan meal includes: latkes (potato pancakes), home-made applesauce, green beans sauted with garlic and onions, cornbread muffins, mashed sweet potatoes, some kind of rice and sometimes a second potato. Occasionally, I make dressing, but I'm the only one who really likes it and often don't bother.

We set the table nicely, with our "good" plates (emblazoned with the Star Trek insignia) and light candles. My husband makes sure there are Christmas crackers at each place setting, and we don't begin eating until we've all opened those, read our jokes, traded the silly toys and put on our paper crowns. We play the first Christmas CD of the season while we eat.

We quit bothering with dessert several years ago, because nobody (except perhaps my son) is hungry at all once we finish that meal.

After dinner, it's usually something easy like watching a movie.

Edited by Jenny in Florida

What does your Thanksgiving look like? :bigear:

We usually spend it with family or friends, but it looks like we're on our own this year, which is fine by me. :001_smile: So tell me, what do you do besides cooking a big fancy dinner?

ETA: What's on your menu? And when do you usually buy what you need? As I've said, this is really the first time I have to do it all.

Both my middle son and his family and my oldest daughter and her husband come along with my husband's sister and her husband. We normally have the "meal" around 4-4:30. It depends on the year but there have been years when everyone except Sister in law and husband came for brunch at about 10 or so and spent the day/evening. Not sure this year yet.

Our house is pretty relaxed/informal. I set all the food up on our island in buffet style. We have turkey with dressing, tossed salad, fruit salad, green beans with mushroom gravy, rice or potatoes. I make lots of desserts all the way from pumpkin to peach custard. For us the main thing is we are together, relaxed and enjoying one another.

Before our family expended we always had another family or two over. I really can not remember of having a holiday totally by ourselves, well other than the year we were all snowed in or out on Christmas.:D

I'm game for just about anything. We move so often that sometimes we have friends some times not. Sometimes we are the newbies in the area and get invited to someone's gathering. Sometimes not.

This year we've been here for a few years. We have friends and I'm in the mood to cook. So dinner will be at our house with two other couples and one extra kid. I'm hoping to eat about 2p.

I'll get up and get breakfast going and the turkey out of the oven. I cook it on low all night. Dd and dh will watch the parade. Then guests will arrive and we will eat, watch TV, play games, eat some more, have pie.

I'm trying to stay away from heavy casserole type foods this year. The menu is not set in stone but the general idea is:

Turkey

Dressing

Carrots

Whole berry cranberry sauce

Roasted potatoes

Green beans

Green salad

Undetermined appetizers

Pecan pie

Pumpkin pie

One other dessert.

Dh usually works on Thanksgiving and we celebrate the day before or day after. Just the normal family since all extended family live far away. Much cooking, feasting, and cleaning up. If we happen to know that someone will be away from their family we invite them. We have the traditional turkey, usual veggies plus a marshmallow-cranberry dish we call cranberry fluff, and everyone gains a few pounds.

I usually *love* cooking Thanksgiving dinner. I was a logistics analyst before becoming a mom, so I love to break out my spreadsheet and plan out dorky things like oven utilization and prep schedules. Everything is ready at exactly the right time, and dinner is never late. :lol:

I usually do:

Turkey (Last year we did it in the smoker. It was delicious, and I loved that it kept my oven free)

Gravy

Mashed potatoes

Spinach (or sometimes broccoli)

Cranberry sauce

Stuffing with cranberries and apples (Last year I did it in the crockpot, and it was nice to be able to do it early and forget it.)

Corn casserole stuff (My husband likes it, lol)

Homemade bread or rolls

For dessert I usually do a sweet potato souffle and/or apple crisp. I love the souffle and the DH loves the crisp. The baby is allergic to eggs, so we'll skip the souffle this year.

We're closing on the sale of our house at the end of the month (crosses fingers), so we'll be in an apartment with a small kitchen this Thanksgiving. I'm thinking I'm going to scale back so I don't drive myself nuts. Maybe a chicken, stuffing, green veg, and cranberries. I'll probably make the apple crisp the day before and put it in the oven after dinner.

After dinner we do dishes, my DH watches the Lions game (he's from MI), play games or watch a movie. If it's not very cold we'll take a walk.

Edited by Annie

We pretty much stay home and have a big lunch. This year we decided on grilling steaks. Still working on what I want to go with it and of course traditional pumpkin and apple pies. If the weather is nice we will go hiking and if not bring the kids to the movies. It's always a nice quiet do nothing day. We live 13 hours from my mom, to far for a weekend and the past few years we did one year at my sisters with family and next year home. My sister moved to a smaller house and no one has money to travel anymore so she stopped hosting.

We go to my parents for the week. We decided long before we married that Thanksgiving was with my family and Christmas was with his. Which works great since my family doesn't celebrate Christmas.

Normally we all wake up, have bacon and eggs and sometimes pancakes for breakfast. Some people go out on the boat, some go to the indoor swimming pool at the club, some just hang out and play cards or do big puzzles. Mid-afternoon we do appetizers and then hang out with everyone some more. Around 5, though it has been as late as 8, we have Thanksgiving dinner. With a bunch of small ones now we try for the 5 start time, but 6 is really more likely.

Anyways Thanksgiving is a huge meal at my Mom's since we normally have 20+ people there, including people who don't like turkey, and people who are vegetarian, so there are lots of different dishes.

Normal meal is:

Turkey

Filet Mignon

Gravy

Cranberry Sauce

Mac and Cheese

Broccoli

This horrible Cauliflower with mayo and mustard thing my aunt does

Mashed Potatoes

Sweet Potato and Apple Casserole

Stuffing

Dressing

Corn Casserole

Salad of some sort

Soup of some sort

Green Bean casserole

2 pumpkin pies

2 apple pies

cake

pecan pie

sometimes another dessert type food

Since we live far away from any family - it is just us.

I love to cook - so Thanksgiving has always been fun and relaxing for me to cook all day.

We have the big meal for supper. I have cinnamon rolls pre-made in the freezer for breakfast.

The day before:

Brine turkey breast

make pies (pumpkin, pecan and chocolate meringue)

mix-up yeast rolls - put in refrig. overnight

sometimes bake whole sweet potatoes

cornbread already baked - in freezer for making dressing

Day of:

Roast turkey breast

make mashed potatoes

sweet potato casserole

assemble/cook cornbread dressing

roll out/cook rolls

fruit salad

heat LeSueur Baby Peas w/onions - canned! - but a tradition from my childhood

I think that's it - I usually write up a timetable

Usually my dad visits. Some years it's the only time we see him. Luckily he's not too old yet to make the trip every year.

We have done traditional turkey, potatoes, and pie. But we have also done Frogmore stew(seafood/sausage), or gone out to buffet :tongue_smilie:

This year we wanted asian themed but I bought some pork tenderloin and it's my dad's favorite, so we go with that and traditional sides. Asian will be Friday night :lol:

For us, we don't do family things. We decided early in our marriage to set our own traditions. They are welcome to come to us, but we don't travel and we do what we want.

My dad has joined us for turkey day for years. My mom always comes on Christmas Day in the afternoon. If she ever stopped coming we would go skiing.... :D

My entire family goes to my brother's house. Since we got married, Dh's family joins us as well. My brother will also open the door to anyone he knows that don't have other family as well. This year, we will also be joined by my uncle and by my MIL's brother, SIL and nephew that will be visiting from out of state. I love holidays with my family and wouldn't have it any other way. It is hard though without my Dad and FIL, both of whom passed away over the past few years.

For dinner we will have,

turkey

ham

mashed potatoes

stuffing

chicken and dumplings

green beans

sweet potatoes

deviled eggs

dinner rolls

a myriad of different desserts and whatever else anyone decides that they want to add.

We always eat at about 1:00 for the big meal and then just graze on leftovers the rest of the time.

We spend the morning at church cooking, serving, packaging and delivering about 400 meals to homebound and poor families in the community. We usually get home around 1pm. I prep our turkey the night before so that my dad can put it in the oven around noon. We spend the afternoon cooking and we eat around 5:30. This year, my in-laws will be visiting. The kids will watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade while I cook (we'll record it in the morning and watch it in the afternoon). If the weather is nice, dh, ds and FIL may start getting the Christmas decorations out of the shed so they can set them up on Friday.

We'll have 9-13 people here for the meal, only 3 of whom are children.

I haven't finalized our menu, but off the top of my head, we'll be having:

turkey (usually about 20 pounds)

Cornbread and herb stuffing with sausage

sweet potatoes

roasted asparagus

Smoked Gouda and Bacon Mashed Potatoes

rolls

broccoli and cheese casserole

For dessert:

pecan pie

pumpkin crisp

Caramel apple pie

something chocolatey

Edited by MamaAkins

We tend to have just us for Thanksgiving. Dh's family is nearby, but they don't get together for it, just all make turkey in their own homes and have a quiet day, so we don't usually get together with them. I like to do the whole holiday meal bit even just for us -- it gives things a special feel and all the leftovers means no cooking for the next few days.:D I usually make or prep most things the day before. I make Quiver's cinnamon rolls for breakfast, the dc watch the parade while I make holiday phone calls, and DH relaxes. We eat late afternoon, and take a break before having too much dessert in the evening. My menu tends to be something like this:

turkey and gravy

cornbread stuffing

mashed potatoes

some sort of sweet potato dish

a green veg -- I tend to alternate between brussels sprouts and kale

rolls or more cornbread

cranberry-orange sauce

pumpkin pie/pumpkin custard

apple pie/apple crisp

gingerbread

Breakfast the day after is always pumpkin pie, and turkey soup gets made sometime on the weekend. This will be the first year that DH will not be off the day after, so I may take the kids to a movie or just try to make a playdate since ps will be closed.

We don't have family close (or much family at all, actually), meaning that the day is just my husband, the two kids and me.

I'm raising a pair of theatre nerds, and the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade (which includes performances from current Broadway shows) is a huge thing in our house. So, we all make sure to be up and around before the TV coverage of the parade begins. We do a simple breakfast, usually bagels, and watch the parade. Some years, the kids and I work on building a gingerbread house while we watch, but that was a recent innovation and one I'm happy to skip when my son lets me get away with it.

Once the parade is over and the float with Santa on it has passed, those of us who feel into it dig into the Christmas decorations and start decking the halls. Meanwhile, I head to the kitchen to work on dinner.

During the remainder of the day, we snack and chat and listen to music until dinner time.

Our "traditional" vegan meal includes: latkes (potato pancakes), home-made applesauce, green beans sauted with garlic and onions, cornbread muffins, mashed sweet potatoes, some kind of rice and sometimes a second potato. Occasionally, I make dressing, but I'm the only one who really likes it and often don't bother.

We set the table nicely, with our "good" plates (emblazoned with the Star Trek insignia) and light candles. My husband makes sure there are Christmas crackers at each place setting, and we don't begin eating until we've all opened those, read our jokes, traded the silly toys and put on our paper crowns. We play the first Christmas CD of the season while we eat.

We quit bothering with dessert several years ago, because nobody (except perhaps my son) is hungry at all once we finish that meal.

After dinner, it's usually something easy like watching a movie.

This is EXACTLY our day, except we're not vegans. And the movie we watch is always Christmas Vacation. It's how we kick off our Christmas season.

We stay home. We don't have any family here. Ds is married now and goes to the inlaws or whichever family member on their side is hosting. That leaves the three of us.

We watch the parade in the morning while I'm getting things ready. I try to have things prepped the day before. We usually eat about noon or 1pm. Afterwards, we go to the movies. Then come home for pie and leftovers. That's when ds and dil come over. By then it's about 5pm. They come over for dessert and leftovers while we play cards or a some type of game.

Our menu usually looks like this:

veggie tray

jalepeno poppers

homemade rolls

Pernil-bacon wrapped pork loin

bread stuffing

garlic mashed potatoes

sweet potato casserole

cranberry relish with apples

seasoned greenbeans

apple pie

pumkin pie

chocolate pie

For the last three years, we've gone to Colonial Williamsburg. We have Thanksgiving dinner at a lovely hotel, swim in our motel pool, and tour the historical area. There are no dishes to wash and no extended family members creating drama. It's the perfect holiday!

For the last three years, we've gone to Colonial Williamsburg. We have Thanksgiving dinner at a lovely hotel, swim in our motel pool, and tour the historical area. There are no dishes to wash and no extended family members creating drama. It's the perfect holiday!

Now THAT sounds like fun!

I don't cook. :D We go up to MIL's and I make my "famous" pumpkin pie. On Thanksgiving, we go over to a friend's house (they're practically family) and they host a big Thanksgiving feast for lots of people. After we eat, we go back to MIL's and generally DH and I go and amble through KMart, just because they're open. Then the next day we go shopping, but we don't get out until the afternoon sometime.

Dh picks bil up at the airport (he flies in on Thanksgiving because it's cheaper,) and we have my parents, assorted aunts and uncles, my db and his family, and anyone else who shows.

I cook a turkey breast and something else (this year it's stuffed pork tenderloin,) plus sides. Tentative menu for this year:

turkey beast, gravy

herb dressing stuffed tenderloin

sweet potatoes with marshmallows (tradition in our family)

garlic mashed potatoes

shredded brussel sprouts with bacon

glazed baby carrots

cranberry relish

fruit salad (for diabetic bil's dessert and for me)

dinner rolls

pumpkin pie or roll

caramel apple pie

I'm a few weeks wheat and dairy free, so I won't be eating much. I'll have fruit, turkey, and some sweet potatoes. :sad:

This year, I'm actually decorating for Christmas, so I'll do that the day before Thanksgiving. That way it will be nice and festive for bil's stay (he'll be here about a week.)