Menu

Christmas shopping~

I went in to TRU on Friday to pick up a b-day gift for my son's friend. I was AMAZED at the # of people in there shopping & the huge baskets of toys they were buying! I could not get out of there fast enough! I thought everyone in the country was broke! My boys said "maybe everyone's broke b/c they spend all their $$ on toys." hehe~clever :0. Anyway, I mulled it over & realized...it IS time to get the Christmas shopping done, or at least started, to prevent a last-minute panicked-type spending spree. So, I shocked myself by starting our Christmas shopping yesterday. I got 4 kids & granny done. My dh is out of town this week so I think I'll switch gears to online shopping to see if I can get dh & my own dc done as well. I'd like to get it all done this week. Wishful thinking probably, but I can dream! Anyone completely done & totally in relax mode knowing the shopping is done, just the food, family & fun to look forward to? I WANT to be one of THOSE people! :)

I JUST went through my list today. I've been picking stuff up all year, so I do have quite a bit done. But, I'm absolutely stumped on a few people.

I also started my Christmas letter today. AND, planned the meals we'll have at Christmas.

All this because I pre-cook quite a bit of things and freeze them. This week? Breakfasts - pancakes and sausages (I make my own).

And, I went around my house and made a list of things I wanted to finish before guests arrive. It's extensive (and expensive!), but it'll be SOOOO worth it in the end!!! (I want to paint my bedroom, hang crown molding, pick a headboard, bedding, throw rug, closet system, storage/seat for the end of the bed, etc, etc, etc. I also ordered two nice storage systems for either side of my fireplace/tv. I cannot WAIT to hide all the wires and toys in that room!

TRU was having a big sale Friday evening through Saturday, so it's not surprising they were busy w/carts full of toys. I was one of those shoppers. :tongue_smilie:

I did most of my shopping on-line last year and will probably do so this year, too. But I was at TRU Friday night, as I was childless and spouseless and decided to get a jump start on shopping. DS is a Christmas baby, so I have to do double-shopping for him. Christmas always comes up way too fast and I hate shopping and malls, so I really need to get moving.

I had to go to the mall twice this weekend, ICK, shopping for clothes for an upcoming family wedding.

The stores were having big sales, and the people were in DROVES shopping.

It felt like Christmas shopping already...the hot mall, meanwhile you are dressed for cold....crowds of people, inventory all a mess, no help around, and waiting to check out. :glare:

We try to be done by Thanksgiving, although "done" is in the eye of the beholder, I guess.

For us, "done" means we've bought or ordered all of the gifts for our family, except maybe for stocking stuffers for the kids. It also implies that I have a plan for any crafts or baking I'll be doing and that I have purchased the supplies for those projects and that we've decided what, if anything, will be sent to out of town friends and family.

My husband's one inflexible rule is that he will not set foot in a mall or major shopping center after Thanksgiving, and it stresses him out to even have me do that. So, anything that still needs to be purchased after that point will be ordered online or picked up from somewhere at least a little off the beaten path.

I don't know that we're on track this year, though. I've started a few craft projects and have supplies for more. But I'm utterly at a loss for ideas for my husband and haven't achieved inspiration for our son, either. Nor have I planned my baking or any teacher token gifts. I suspect we'll just keep things fairly simple this year.

We try to be done with most of our shopping before Thanksgiving if at all possible. If we know that something on the lists is going to be significantly reduced on Black Friday, we try to get it then. Otherwise I scour the sales between now and Thanksgiving for the best prices and get it over with.

DH will continue to shop after Black Friday but I, on the other hand, will not set foot in a store in December. I will order a few things off line if I just can't resist, but no crowds for this lady.

I am usually an early shopper but remodeling the house has me way behind my usual. I did however purchase a cool gift for my son and something for dd at TJMaxx because I could not pass up a bargain. I brought dd to run errands today and have a pretty good idea what to get her. I am usually one to wait on bargains but the 2 things that are on her list come with a bonus items that I am afraid will be gone if I wait. So, it's off to pick those things up this week. The big item I am going to wait until December to purchase for I believe there will be plenty of bargains and deals yet to find on an xbox 360. As for my family, I can get them anything so no real anxiety there vs. toys I wants to get dd.

I'm actually trying to hold myself back from being completely done. I don't think I can handle going all December without buying anything at all. If I buy it all now, I'll only buy more in December!

:iagree: Yep, this would describe me. I like to shop. I also seem to shop or window shop at least a lot more because my dd's gymnastics class is 30 minutes from home. It doesn't make sense for me to drive all the way home, then drive all the way back to get her. So, I tend to go to our shopping mall area during her 3 hour class. The good part of shopping frequently is I am able to find the great clearance deals. I am nearly done with my dd's shopping, fairly close to being done with ds. Have no clue what I am getting my mom or my sister. Extended family is already done too!