Menu

Best resource/curriculum for teaching map reading

MyLittleBears

Almost hate to admit, but my kids learned to navigate by map via Wii games. :D Favorite for that was Endless Oceans 2 (also learned about 250 species of fish, solving riddles, and time management). Just mentioning there are some sneaky ways to teach it (ETA: wouldn't go out and get a Wii for this of course, but *if* your kids play Wii already and you're thinking of getting a new game, consider a twofer. My kids play Wii for a reward after completing lessons).

After a while, dd started making maps of the house and having her sister use them to search for "treasure". :)

Edited by ChandlerMom

• 3 weeks later...
The Complete Book of Maps & Geography fits that bill. It has everything from neighborhood maps, stadium seating charts, maps of parks, to larger geographic maps of all kinds. My son could not put this book away. He lived with his nose in it every spare moment for a couple of weeks.

Thank you so much for this recommendation! After reading your post, I put this book on my amazon wish list. I added it to my recent order with Doodle's Christmas present. The book arrived today and it looks wonderful. I think Doodle will love it as much as your boy did.

I think the most effective way is letting them do it for real. If you are driving around town to a place they don't know, give them the map and tell them to figure it out and direct you. Leave early to give them time to make mistakes.

We also do this on car trips - let the kids plan which route to take and then navigate.

Critical Thinking Company also has CD Roms called 'Get me out of here' that are fun and teach these skills. I just checked and they are pretty inexpensive if you buy on Amazon.

Thank you so much for this recommendation! After reading your post, I put this book on my amazon wish list. I added it to my recent order with Doodle's Christmas present. The book arrived today and it looks wonderful. I think Doodle will love it as much as your boy did.

So glad you like it! Just a funny side note--my son received this as a gift last year (after he had already completed it). I encouraged him to save it for his little brother, but he wanted to go through the entire book AGAIN--and he did!:lol: