Menu

Need help picking Latin

asmall

I am looking for a Latin program for my daughter (6th). I never took Latin in school, so I am looking for a program that is set up for beginners. We have waited to start Latin because she was struggling with reading. Now, she is doing better. I am looking for something that is secular. I don't really know what is out the for programs, so could you please spell out the name of the Latin curriculum you are recommending. If you could tell what you or your child liked about it would also be helpful.

Thanks,

AL

Latin Prep from Galore Park is straightforward and designed for beginners of that age. Everything is explained in the book, so you can learn alongside your daughter. It's definitely secular and has an amusing tone. There are samples here. You can buy it from bookdepository.co.uk with free shipping to most countries. In the US you can also get it from horriblebooks.com

Laura

I typically recommend Latin for the New Millenium at that age. Not a good fit for all kinds, but quite comprehensive, yet more kid-friendly than some other options out there. They have AMPLE samples online and on Google Books, so you can check it out and see if your daughter would click with it.

My son really likes The Big Book of Lively Latin. It is totally secular and assumes no Latin knowledge. I like that it is written for homeschoolers. It took us a couple years to get through the book so I found it to be a good value. My son was able to just open the book and do the lessons on his own after a while. There are periodic exams so I can evaluate his progress.

My son really likes The Big Book of Lively Latin. It is totally secular and assumes no Latin knowledge. I like that it is written for homeschoolers. It took us a couple years to get through the book so I found it to be a good value. My son was able to just open the book and do the lessons on his own after a while. There are periodic exams so I can evaluate his progress.

We're just two months into Lively Latin. At first I was overwhelmed. But I've really, really warmed up to it.

My boys are 8 -- and I have friends w/ 11 and 12 year olds who are doing it and feel challenged. I go a little slower w/ my boys because of their age.

It pulls together not just Latin but also Roman history, art and more.

What I like best: the teacher has daily lessons that make all the difference. I love seeing a teacher online.

Alley