Menu

Roku 2 experience?

We're considering upgrading from our Roku 1 to a Roku 2 (the $99 version) as my holiday gift. I've seen mixed reviews, so thought I'd ask here. We really enjoy our current Roku, but would like to have subtitles on English movies through Netflix. I have been told by Roku that upgrading is the only way to get that. My daughter is also excited by the idea of even a little gaming, as we have no TV-based game system. As we have no cable or satellite, watching movies from Netflix and other channels on our Roku is our main form of visual entertainment, other than regular dvds.

So, any feedback?

Roku 2 is the one we started with, so I don't have anything to compare it to. We also have a Wii and an x-Box 360, so no games on the Roku. You already know you like Roku, so no point in me telling you about that.

Do you have a newer (flat screen HD) tv? We still have old tv's but we know we'll be upgrading within the next year. The Roku 2 can handle HD, I'm not sure if the one you have can.

Roku 2 is the one we started with, so I don't have anything to compare it to. We also have a Wii and an x-Box 360, so no games on the Roku. You already know you like Roku, so no point in me telling you about that.

Do you have a newer (flat screen HD) tv? We still have old tv's but we know we'll be upgrading within the next year. The Roku 2 can handle HD, I'm not sure if the one you have can.

Thanks, but, nope, big old huge non-HD tv---32 inch, but weighs something around 150 lbs! I doubt we'll be replacing it anytime soon so HD isn't a big factor at the moment (or for quite a while). My big concern has been some of the negative reviews about streaming quality being worse with the Roku 2. We have a cable modem with a very fast download speed, so I am hopeful that won't be an issue.