Menu

How would you answer this math question on a test?

On my prep test for my class at college, there is a question that says, "Give an example of something with zero probability." Is this as strange a question as it appears to me? :tongue_smilie: Some element of sarcastic humor keeps wanting to make itself known, (i.e, probability that dh will clean out his t-shirt drawer) but I don't think that's what he wants. So what does he want? Does he want me to say, "Zero probability that I will give birth to a vampire."? :confused: What would you put?

That would work. Or something more traditional, like "zero probability that a spinner with the numbers 1, 2, and 3 will spin a 4". It's just to show you get the concept, I'm guessing.

Oooooohhhh! :tongue_smilie: Yeah, I'm sure you're right, since we've been talking about rolling dice, spinning spinners and flipping coins ad nauseum. I'm sure he would like an answer like this more than the vampire baby.

Although I think the vampire baby has more character. :tongue_smilie:

I agree that the vampire one has more character. I might say, "There is zero probability that I will give birth to a vampire, or that I will roll an eight with a standard, six sided die." Play both angles, that way you're covered whether or not the instructor has a sense of humor.

:smilielol5: That's good!

I agree that the vampire one has more character. I might say, "There is zero probability that I will give birth to a vampire, or that I will roll an eight with a standard, six sided die." Play both angles, that way you're covered whether or not the instructor has a sense of humor.

Yeah, I agree here.

Another example could be that you would roll a three AND a four on one roll of a six-sided die.