Menu

iPads - Do you see a lot of them where you live?

How many people do you know who own iPads?  

1. 1. How many people do you know who own iPads?

• None.
    • One or two.
    • Three to five.
    • Six to nine.
    • Ten or more.
    • I'm not sure I can count that high.
    • I almost never see them around town.
    • I occasionally see them around town.
    • I see lots of them around town.
    • I don't know what you're talking about, but I wanted to vote.

I've been wondering if where I live is an anomaly in terms of the numbers of iPads I see and that people I know own.

The first part of the poll is about how many people you know who own them, and the last part is about how often you see them around town. Multiple choices are allowed.

Edited by Sun

I see them often ... not necessarily in "every day life" like at the park, but for instance, the priest at Mass last weekend has his (his homily notes, I think, were on it). One of the owners of the small Mom & Pop health food store has his in his hands constantly doing inventory and looking things up for customers. Many people in our circle have one as well.

A lot of dc's school friends have their own -- some are actually on their second iPads, since they get the new versions as they come out. As for our family, books take up so much of our budget that there is little left for technology.

When my dc want to use an iPad, we go to an Apple store. Wonderful though these machines are, I am glad we don't have one. I can visualize dc constantly begging to use them and me, saying no, being the 'mean mom.'

Edited by Alessandra

I know lots of people in the US who have an iPad. I know exactly one person here who does (besides our family). I have never seen one around town, but I never see any kind of device here except mp3 players and cell phones which are very common.

We lived in Seattle when they first came out and I saw them quite often, even then.

Edited by Amira

I live in a high tech town, in general. One where Apple has major offices (as well as several other big computer companies, including world headquarters for one of the really big ones. So there are LOTS of iPads. I'll probably get one to replace my laptop when the time comes, but we tend to hold on to our technology longer than most around here (we still have a 13 year old computer in use), so that might be a few years.

I know an awful lot of people who have them. I see them around a good bit too. (Swim practice, swim meets, doctor's offices, places where you are often waiting and waiting and waiting...) A very popular private school here requires them for class. (The purchase is figured into tuition.) That may account for some of the popularity here.:001_smile:

Low socio-economic area means No -I never see them. They cost close to $1000 here so I doubt people would be freely giving them to their kids.

Most people in my area don't own anything more then a basic cell phone. Anything with internet connection is mega expensive - internet is very expensive here too.

My husband has had one for awhile and he finally bought me one last week. I LOVE it. The first thing I did with it was download ForScore and simplified 8 years worth of church sheet music into one place. I can't wait to throw out all my huge, bulky folders after I finish scanning our chord charts and lead sheets. I downloaded a powerpoint presentation app so now when I teach classes I don't have to lug in my laptop bag, power cords, etc. All I need is my iPad and one cord. :001_smile:

Mine is 3G capable, but at this point I plan to use it on wifi only. I wanted the capability in case I change my mind later.

Okay, please bare with my lack of knowledge... what exactly makes them better than just having laptop? I get portability, but I usually use my laptop at the dining room table or close by in my rocking chair. I rarely take my laptop anywhere except when we travel. Then I get that it would nicer and less weight for an Ipad. Other than that - what am I missing on this? I don't have the budget for one now, but down the road... maybe.

I see them everywhere ~ people using them in coffee shops, restaurants, outdoors, library, waiting rooms or other waiting places (kids in lessons/etc), and so on… most of ds13's and dd14's friends have them. We have the iPad2, just got it a few weeks ago..never had the first one.

:iagree: same here! They are all over the place!

Okay, please bare with my lack of knowledge... what exactly makes them better than just having laptop? I get portability, but I usually use my laptop at the dining room table or close by in my rocking chair. I rarely take my laptop anywhere except when we travel. Then I get that it would nicer and less weight for an Ipad. Other than that - what am I missing on this? I don't have the budget for one now, but down the road... maybe.

I had the same questions. Then I got one. Let's see . . . Smaller. Fits in my purse. We wanted it mainly for traveling with littles. I love that I can opt in and out of 3G. So no monthly charge unless I want it. I love the camera. FaceTime. LOVE it!!! For travel my dd logged on to Netflix and watched her favorite shows. Saved us a number of times.

Games. Music. Etc. we love it here!

Eta!!! How could I forget!!! It is an e reader! I have the kindle app and the apple one. Lots of books at your fingertips. I am reading more now than I have in a long time because it is so easy!