Menu

Can someone explain to me how AO works on a DAILY schedule? I just can't seem to wrap my mind around how to break the reading down on a day by day basis...

Have you seen the Weekly Schedules on the main page (they also have some on the Yahoo Group, too). I just take the weekly schedule and decide what to do each day. We tend to do the same books the same day each week (for example TCOO on Mondays).

What I've started doing this year, is printing out the weekly schedule in a binder for me, and then I made up blank schedules for the kids for each week. I'll go over the weekly schedule and then write down assignments for each day in their schedules - so they can check off each thing as they get it finished. It does take some trial and error to find out what works well for your family, but the weekly schedules give more flexibility because you can schedule your daily routine as you want to.

See that is exactly what confuses me. I don't understand if you read each book M-F, or each book only one day per week or maybe only two days per week, etc. Plus, it seems like there are so many books for the week- I just don't get it. If I could just see someone's daily schedule it would help tremendously. I can't seem to find a day by day in the life of an AOer ;) anywhere.

My daily schedule includes two slots for "Readings". That gives me enough slots to cover all the readings even in the busier weeks. At the beginning of the week I have a list of that weeks readings and decide what order to do them in so they make sense for us. Often I have extra slots because there are not as many readings and I then will schedule less on a day when we have extra errands, or when one reading is difficult, or we have something else to do.

So, our daily schedule looks like this:

Piano

Math

Poetry

copywork

Reading1

spelling

Reading2

French

science/art/handiwork/maps

The weeks readings are just divided in a logical way into those slots - today we read from Burgess bird book and Fifty Famous Stories Retold.

For us it would not make sense to do a bit from each reading every day, they are too short. An older child with longer readings might I guess - I'd leave it up to the child or just experiment and see what works. I tend to think that different ones each day would still be better in most cases.

The Year 1 readings are not as long as in later years, and so they can usually be done in one sitting. I have broken up a few of the fairy tales, and some of the longer Shakespeare tales into two readings, but my son does well narrating everything in just one sitting. We also use librivox.org recordings whenever possible, so I am not having to read all day long :).

Here is our Year 1 schedule, not all of these books are scheduled each week but these are the days we read them on if they are:

Daily Monday-Thursday:

Math

Penmanship

Copywork

Phonics/Reading

Poetry (we read one poem a day during lunch)

Weekly AO Readings:

Monday: Burgess Bird Book, Aesop

Tuesday: OIS, or D'Aulaire bio depending on what is scheduled

Wednesday: Fifty Famous Stories Retold, Aesop

Thursday: Geography (Paddle to the Sea, we also do a Evan-Moor geography skill book on weeks that there is no chapter from Paddle), Parables from Nature

(We add in the other literature selections such as Shakespeare, Fairy Tales and Just so Stories, wherever there is room in the schedule that week. We are also NOT doing Trial and Triumph, we are using other resources for church history.)

Friday:

Nature Study (very informal), Composer/Artist study (looking at prints and listening to the music while we do other things), Art (we are using Artistic Pursuits), handicrafts, and poetry (we re-read the poems from the week).

We read the free reading books at bedtime, and we listen to them as audiobooks in the car.

We take plenty of breaks for outdoor time, and we are usually done by 1:00 pm. We usually start around 9:00 am.

We are going to add in Prima Latina next term, and I am thinking about adding FLL and AAS and WWE. I realize they are not really CM, but they worked well for my older sons and I think they would be a good fit for my 7 year old as well.

HTH!

Edited by MyFourSons
spelling

See that is exactly what confuses me. I don't understand if you read each book M-F, or each book only one day per week or maybe only two days per week, etc. Plus, it seems like there are so many books for the week- I just don't get it. If I could just see someone's daily schedule it would help tremendously. I can't seem to find a day by day in the life of an AOer ;) anywhere.

The weekly schedules tell you what chapters to read that week. For example, Week 4 of Year 3 looks like this:

Week 4

An Island Story ch 64 The Story of the King's Six Wives

This Country of Ours ch 7. How the Flag of France Was Planted in Florida

Biography of Da Vinci or Michelangelo - spread the book over the term as desired

Marco Polo - read a third of the book each term, using map to record his journey

Optional: Science Lab in a Supermarket: Fooling the senses, p.20-22

Poetry of William Blake

American Tall Tales: Coyote Cowboy: Pecos Bill

Lamb's or Nesbit Tales of Shakespeare The Merchant of Venice

The Princess and the Goblin ch 10, 11

My week might go something like this:

Monday:

I read him Ch 64 of An Island Story. Ds will give a detailed oral narration and we may add something to our timeline)

Ds does 2 pages of math

Ds reads me a chapter of our Marco Polo book as we follow the journey on our lap map. Then ds narrates back what he remembers)

Ds does a page in the spelling workbook

We take turns reading a William Blake poem and then discuss it.

Ds's copywork is the first 4 lines of that poem.

Ds read a chapter or so of his novel (no narration)

We head out on a nature walk with sketch pads, colored pencils and a field guide.

We're finished by 1pm

Tuesday

I read him a chapter of Michaelangelo. He narrates.

2 pages of math

We read about 3 pages of The Merchant of Venice and discuss it. We'll read another few pages tomorrow and then the next day. We may look up some Shakespeare stuff online.

1 page of Spelling

We read another William Blake poem and discuss.

We read the 2 chapters of Science Lab in a Supermarket and ds will write out his narration (usually 3/4 page).

We look at various works from this term's artist. Ds may want to do his own artwork or maybe make a project. As he's doing something, I'll read some of the artist's bio.

Ds reads more of his novel.

Wednesday

Field trip, maybe

And Thursday and Friday we follow the same schedule, finishing up the weeks listed readings. We do math, spelling, & poetry every day (not on a trip day). We do artist, composer, and nature study once a week. Spanish is once a week. Grammar we do every now and then. Every few weeks we'll do a dictation exercise (Ds studies a poem or passage and has to write it out as I read it to him - it's for proper spelling, punctuation, capitalization, sentence structure, etc)

Don't forget to incorporate the Charlotte Mason method as you go through your week (short lessons, lots of outdoor time, living/whole books etc).

HTH!

Okay, I think it's finally starting to soak in. Wow, it is so different than anything I have used in the past. I am wishing I would have understood this when my kids were younger and started implementing it then. This seems like such a beautiful way to learn. Thank you all for your help.

My 8th grader, who is a struggling learner, is using the lower levels of AO. Just this past week, he started Year 4 Term 3. Here's what his week will look like next week.

-Math (He struggles with math. To keep to the shorter lessons that CM recommends, he does the Math-U-See lessons A, B, C as is each day, then on the review lessons D, E & F, he only does 1/2 one day, then the other half the next day).

-Bible (reading from Vos' Story Bible...Old Test. on M/W/F, New Test. Tues/Th)

-Poetry: (doing our own thing here....Using IEW's poetry book and cd, he listens to and reads along to one poem a week...not memorizing it, just listening...to the same poem 3 days a week).

-History: (reads from George Washginton's World 4x a week and This Country of OUrs 1x a week)

-biography: (Reading Abigail Adams...breaking this reading down into smaller chunks for him. He reads these smaller chunks 2x a week)

-Literature: (Sometimes I substitute a book from the free reading list, other times he uses scheduled literature, but listens to audio at librviox.com while reading along. Currently, he's doing this with Kidnapped 3x a week)

-Classical Music/Composers: (Doing our own thing...I have a bunch of classical music cds. He listens to a different piece 2x a week).

-Artist/Art Appreciation: (doing our own thing...Reads a 2 page spread from Usborne Book of Art 2x a week).

-Science (this year we are doing our own thing...currently reading Blood and Guts 3x a week and Usborne's Genes and DNA 2x a week)

11th grader is doing AO's Year 9 *lite* with some substitutions and tweaking of the AO schedule (For example, he likes to only have 2 different literature books going at once and we do a shakespeare play only 2 terms each year).

-Math (He is using Key to Algebra...Sets the timer for 45 minutes. Stops where ever he's at in the book when 45 minutes is up).

-Bible: (Following the suggested bible readings. The Devotional he's reading each Friday is Mere Christianity, which is scheduled in the "world view" readings, but I moved it to bible).

-History: Using all AO Year 9 lite books, but have tweaked the reading schedule. For example, he technically on week 14 this coming week, but *his* history schedule looks like this...

Monday: History of the American People pg. 125-131

Tuesday: Common Sense: Intor and ch. 1

Wednesday: Miracle at Philly ch. 9 pages 109-115

Thursday: John Adams bio. pgs. 89-96

Friday: Miracle at Philly ch. 10 pgs. 116-120

-Literature:

M/W/F: Count of Monte Cristo (1 ch. each day)

Tu/Th: I subbed in Scarlet Letter...He's asked to read Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring on these two days each week after he finishes Scarlet Letter. (Next term, he will read a Shakepeare play on either Tues or Thurs)

-Government/Econ: M/Th: Evaluating Books (He LOVES the "Uncle Eric" books and has asked to read them 2x a week...he will read *all* the books in that series, not just the ones AO schedules).

-Logic: Tuesday: Fallacy Detective

- World Views (which we are calling "philosophy" instead:) Wednesday: Essay on Man. Next book he will read is "Sophie's World"...I'm subbing that one in.

-Health (mental & emotional "health") Friday: Dating with Integrity...not on any AO schedule, but I just like this book:)

-Science & Health: (all living books, but NOT AO books)

M/W: Short History of Nearly Everything

Tues: Science Matters

Thurs: 7 Pillars of Health

Friday: Brief History of Time

-Art/Artist & Composer study: doing our own thing....Monday: rotating every other week: Annotated Mona Lisa and The Gift of Music

-Music Appreciation:

Wed: Folk song (from AO website)

Fri: classical music cd I have at home...listens to one piece

-Composition:

Mon: Free Write: sometimes a blog entry about something he's read for school or a current event, which is done informally at our house. Other times it's working on his graphic novel idea(s).

Tues/Th: Writing Plunge from Jump In Writing or a more serious essay writing assignment from a list of essay prompts I have here.

Wed: Reading from the book on Writing and free writing.

-Latin: Getting Started with Latin,which was recommended on the House of Education yahoo group (On about lesson 30 something, but he's asked to stop moving forward and do some reviewing between now and at least Thanksgiving).

Hope this helps you see how AO is used as a tool and not just an "as is" program!:)

Okay, I think it's finally starting to soak in. Wow, it is so different than anything I have used in the past. I am wishing I would have understood this when my kids were younger and started implementing it then. This seems like such a beautiful way to learn. Thank you all for your help.

Honestly, it took me a couple of years to really get into a rhythm with how to break down the weekly schedule into a daily schedule, and how to fit the pieces in. Since it does allow more flexibility, it also can make it a little more difficult to get started, but it is worth it :)

• 1 month later...