Menu

If you were going to spend a year covering mythology

Book Crazy

So say that instead of covering history over next the year, you spent the year covering mythology, what are some of the not to miss books.

What civilizations mythology would you cover?

I'm really just thinking out loud here, I'm not sure what we are doing for history yet and I thought mythology would be something interesting.

I don't have any specific resources to suggest, but (depending on the age of the child or children involved) I'd start with Greek and Roman, followed by Norse. With those established, I'd probably work in Welsh, Irish, and Ancient Egyptian. If they still wanted more, I'd turn to Sumer, Assyria, and the New World.

But I can see not getting out of the first three in a year.

This, of course, assumes you don't have any interest in teaching the stories of Judaism and Christianity as myths. ;)

But for understanding the ancient world as a predicate to the modern world, you need at least Hellenic, Norse, and Judeo-Christian stories as a base. Medieval and post-medieval English literature becomes far more comprehensible once you've added some of the Celtic mythologies.

FWIW, and I'm open to correction, I consider "Germanic" myths to be covered under Norse.

HTH

Thanks for the suggestions.

I would like my son to know the stories of Judaism and Christianity, but I'm not of the best to cover them. We as a family are atheist, but I do want my son to know the stories from the bible, as there is a lot of reference to them in every day life. How would you go about teaching these stories?

I have always loved Norse, Germanic and Welsh myths (maybe being English has something to do with it). The Nibelungenlied is one of my favorites, along with Mabinogion.

I read Beowulf and Sir Gawain and the Green Knight aloud to my son this year and he really enjoyed those. He was mad that he couldn't watch the Beowulf movie.

I would like my son to know the stories of Judaism and Christianity, but I'm not of the best to cover them. We as a family are atheist, but I do want my son to know the stories from the bible, as there is a lot of reference to them in every day life. How would you go about teaching these stories?

For an introduction to various religions, I love Mary Pope Osborne's One World, Many Religions: The Ways We Worship.

We somewhat use the LCC method of having a day for ancient history and a day for 'modern' history. So right now, we are in Year 4 of the SOTW history cycle (modern), while also listening to Greek myths.

We put the SOTW audio cds and Greek myths from audible.com on my ipod, and we listen and discuss in the car on the way to lessons, etc. SOTW is followed up the next day with map work for both kids and outlining for my 4th grader; at the moment we just listen/discuss the myths.

My kids like the SOTW cds, and LOVE the audible myths (Tales from the Greek Legends and More Tales from the Greek Legends, read by Edward Ferrie. He also does Norse legends; we haven't listened to those yet).

Audible also has various versions of the Iliad, Odyssey, etc if you want to delve deeper.

Using the audio books frees up my read aloud time for other books (ones with names that aren't quite as difficult to pronounce).

A book that's had some discussion on the high school boards is: http://www.amazon.com/Bible-Influence-Student-Literacy-Project/dp/0977030202/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1212543016&sr=8-1. This would probably be a reference guide for you at the moment, but it might help you identify the most important stories to teach.

So say that instead of covering history over next the year, you spent the year covering mythology, what are some of the not to miss books.

What civilizations mythology would you cover?

I'm really just thinking out loud here, I'm not sure what we are doing for history yet and I thought mythology would be something interesting.

I think it's good to start with Greek and Roman mythology. Knowing

the stories and characters in these myths is important for understanding

allusions in much of English and World literature (Shakespeare, Keats, Byron, Shelley, Milton, Dante).

The Iliad and Odyssey are important stories from Greek mythology which have a lot to say about war and its aftermath. There are good children's versions as well as prose and poetry translations.)

You can also teach science with mythology, of course, as many of the constellations are named after mythological characters.

Bulfinch's Mythology is available online: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/3327

* If you do a keyword search on Gutenberg, you'll find other

free Greek and Roman mythology books as well.

Edith Hamilton's Mythology:

Should be available at your local library.

Morford and Lenardon

Classical Mythology, Eighth Edition

College reference for Greek and Roman myth, standard

text for most introductory university courses.

http://www.oup.com/us/companion.websites/9780195308044/

Some good novels based on mythology include:

Cronus Chronicles, Anne Ursu

Myth-O-Mania, Kate McMullan

Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Rick Riordan

Our Young Folk's Josephus. I believe this book is available at no cost online. Try the Baldwin Project website.

Additionally, I second D'Aulaires book of Norse Myths. Superb.

I have always loved Norse, Germanic and Welsh myths (maybe being English has something to do with it). The Nibelungenlied is one of my favorites, along with Mabinogion.

I read Beowulf and Sir Gawain and the Green Knight aloud to my son this year and he really enjoyed those. He was mad that he couldn't watch the Beowulf movie.

this year. My kids loved it. We read D'Aulaire's Greek Myths, Egyptian Gods and Goddesses, and the Odyssey (retelling, current). Also used library books on all things Greek and Roman, and Egyptian, did copywork on Greek gods, narrations...it was fun!

As a Jewish parent, one of my favorite sites that I refer my non-Jewish friends and fellow hs'ers to for Torah & Jewish children's books is http://falcon.jmu.edu/~ramseyil/muljewhol.htm

Here's a sampling of some of our favorites:

These are late grammar/logic stage dc.

Torah (Bible stories)Miriam Chaikin

Children's Bible Stories; From Genesis to Daniel

Clouds of Glory : Jewish Legends & Stories About Bible Times

Eodus = Yetsi' at Mitsrayim

Joshua in the Promised Land

Blu Greenberg, et al

King Solomon and the Queen of Sheba

Selina Hastings

The Illustrated Jewish Bible for Children

Eric Kimmel

Be Not Far from Me; The Oldest Love Story; Legends from the Bible.

Julius Lester

The Beginning Began:--Stories about God, the Creatures, and Us

This is what we're in the process of doing, though ours are integrated with history and not done in one year. There's more I want to cover, but this is what we've done/planned so far.

Gilgamesh

Geraldine McCaughrean's
Gilgamesh the Hero

Ludmila Zeman's
Gilgamesh Trilogy

Egyptian (particularly Osiris cycle)

Lancelyn Green's
Tales of Ancient Egypt

Sara Quie's
Ancient Egypt

Greek myths (Iliad/Odyssey included)

McCaughrean's
Greek Gods and Goddesses
and
Greek Myths

Padraic Colum's
The Golden Fleece

Sutcliff's
Black Ships Before Troy
and
The Wanderings of Odysseus

Olivia Coolidge's
Greek Myths

Roman myths (Aeniad included)

McCaughrean's
Roman Myths

Penelope Lively's
In Search of a Homeland

China

France's Carpenter's
Tales of a Chinese Grandmother

Linda Fang's
The Ch'i-lin Purse

Hindu mythology (yes, we ended up spending a long time here)

Uma Krishnaswami's
The Broken Tusk

Uma Krishnaswami's
Shower of Gold

Harish Johari's
Little Krishna

Harish Johari's
How Parvati Won the Heart of Shiva

Harish Johari's
How Ganesh Got his Elephant's Head

Harish Johari's
The Monkey's and the Mango Tree

Erik Jendresen's
Hanuman

Bulbul Sharma's
The Ramayana for Children

Jatinder Verma's
The Story of Divaali

Vatsala Sperling's
Ganga

(movie, animated -- we have an English version of this)

Buddhist

Jeanne M. Lee's
I Once Was a Monkey
(Jataka tales)

Jonathan Landaw's
Prince Siddhartha: The Story of Buddha

Christian (we're secular)

McCaughrean's two Bible adaptations

Fran Manushkin's
Daughter's of Fire

Norse

Colum's
Children of Odin

Philip's
Odin's Family

Siegfried

Barbara Leonie Picard's
German Hero-Sagas and Folk-tales

James Baldwin's
Story of Siegfried

Beowulf

Sutcliff's
Dragon Slayer

Arthur

Sutcliff's Arthur trilogy

Edited to add:

I forgot some....

Padraic Colum's The King of Ireland's Son (big hit)

Gwyn Thomas and Kevin Crossley-Holland's Tales from the Mabinogion

Colum's Trojan War and Adventures of Odysseus

We focus on a different mythology each year. In doing that, we also review the previous year's myths by comparing them to the current year. There's always a Loki figure. I still assign some readings from previous years as well. I think that mythology is something that is very important to cultural literacy, so we spend time on it each year. As an art history student in college, not knowing the stories of the bible or mythology was definitely a disadvantage.

--Dawn