Menu

Sometimes I think I should let them do math and read all day.

yellowperch

My children would be perfectly happy to have a nice challenging math lesson, and then just hours uninterrupted to read. They would end up writing, drawing and talking too. Sometimes I wonder what would happen if we did this:

Morning math

read all day

free write for 20 minutes (2nd grade) 40 minutes (4th)

Finish--polish--one favorite piece of writing every two weeks.

I think my current approach is a little over-complicated. Just musing here, but I invite your comments.

I have to add that my 8 year old does a lot of spelling and narrations of her reading on her own during these long hours of reading, witout any prompting from me.

Seriously?!?! So, what are these 2nd graders/8yo writing about all the time? E.g., you're reading to them about Jamestown and Pocahontas and their pontificating about how Pocahontas saved John Smith's life, or what? :confused:

Sometimes I wonder what would happen if we did this:

Morning math

read all day

Seriously?!?! So, what are these 2nd graders/8yo writing about all the time? E.g., you're reading to them about Jamestown and Pocahontas and their pontificating about how Pocahontas saved John Smith's life, or what? :confused:

My dd#1 was reading very fluently at 8 & would "narrate" (summarize the story &/or tell me what happened in a specific chapter) from her free read books all the time back then. She's allergic to pencils (i.e., doesn't like to write), so she wouldn't have written about any of it.

My dd#2 isn't an extremely fluent reader & reads slightly under grade level (currently an 8 yr old), but loves to write & draw pictures about things we are reading about. Her spelling is horrid, but because of her heavy phonics-base, you can figure out wut she is riting a bowt. :tongue_smilie:

To the original OP: Why not try it for a couple weeks and see what happens? Seriously, you won't break them.

I would probably add some copywork (2nd grader), dictation (studied or non-studied) including grammar/spelling for the 4th grader, and make sure their weekly reading books included the WTM-recommended spread (biography, science, history, poetry/art, etc.) each week along with their free read ones. Otherwise, sounds heavenly!

Edited to add: If you really are doing four things for grammar, two for spelling, and two for writing, and two-to-five for math, I'd certainly say it was complicated! There is middle ground here!

Edited by RootAnn

I firmly believe in spelling and writing instruction, so this isn't all my little guy gets, but...

The other night, he needed to kill time waiting at Robotics practice for older dds, so I gave him lined paper and a pen and told him to write a "paper." He wrote a paper (paragraph) on the causes of the fall of Rome. :lol: Dds studied Ancients last year, so he read a lot of books on Rome and Greece. Apparently, he absorbed it all very well, because his paper was excellent. :D

I do informal narration in the form of asking him to read a passage out loud to me and then summarize it, but he also will "narrate" everything he has ever read to anyone who will listen.

My children would be perfectly happy to have a nice challenging math lesson, and then just hours uninterrupted to read. They would end up writing, drawing and talking too. Sometimes I wonder what would happen if we did this:

Morning math

read all day

I think my current approach is a little over-complicated. Just musing here, but I invite your comments.

Then you should do just that, at their ages. I only did a really structured "school day" maybe twice a week at that age, honestly. Sometimes, they would spend hours building something in the living room or outside and be so engaged that I'd never interrupt that. That WAS school.

Incidentally, it didn't hurt at all. My oldest is a straight A student in a classical high school, a "star student" and "brilliant" according to her teachers, with whom we met last night at the Parent-teacher night, and my son is a straight A student at a heavily academic part time school that meets twice a week. It all worked out.

I didn't always think it was going to, but wish I had worried less. My daughter didn't love math or seem to pick it up easily. My son couldn't write until maybe age 8, and even then it was sentences like "I like candy". When they were ready, it all kicked in. My daughter was asked to join the MATH accelerated program last year, after earning a 99% two semesters in a row. We laughed our heads off...MATH? HER? But she was ready and it really kicked in at 14.

Same with my son. He writes fine now. A little sloppy but fine and is doing extremely well.

Let them enjoy their childhood. Hit the important stuff a few times a week. Let them have days of fun and learning on their own. I'm glad I did.

I would also definitely include grammar and spelling programs at a minimum.

The 3 R's are the most important subjects to master and on which the majority of time should be spent. However, I don't think my kids would get a well-rounded education with the OP's plan. There would be areas and subjects which would either be only partially covered or not covered at all in my opinion.

I prefer to have a plan to help my kids get exposure to the following subjects in addition to the basics:

Science

Geography

History

Government/Civics/basic Economics

Vocabulary

Music

Art

Public Speaking

Memory work

Morning math

read all day

I just started doing this with my 12, 9, almost 8, 6, and 5 yos and I am SOOOOO less stressed!

I let them pick one book to read then I pick one.

I also read out loud to them.

The only thing I am trying to add to this is nature studies.

I say, go for it!

I just started doing this with my 12, 9, almost 8, 6, and 5 yos and I am SOOOOO less stressed!

I let them pick one book to read then I pick one.

I also read out loud to them.

The only thing I am trying to add to this is nature studies.

I say, go for it!

So what do your days look like? How do you decide what they should read in order to cover the basics in say science and history?

Isn't this the way that most of our great thinkers became great thinkers? By reading? Talking? Writing? Do it. Curriculum is overrated.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

As evidenced by all the curricula we have that is currently going unused, I'm starting to think the same way too!

We have always gone through seasons of homeschooling that entail reading across all subjects and math....we have seasons of structured schooling...then back to math and reading. My dd is doing Nanowrimo this month...so she is off researching Spartans because her book is set in Ancient Sparta :D. My boys are reading magazines...lots and lots of magazines. Sciencey ones, history ones, funny ones, Lego ones. They love magazines....so, I have them writing letters to magazines. Hahaha.....

The beauty of homeschooling is you can live your learning. My 7 year old is in love with the new elementary Life of Fred books...and worked through the first 2 in 2 weeks. They were easy, but fun for him. Now he is telling me math stories...and acting out "Fred" stories with his Legos.

Every year, I am amazed at what intrigues and interests my kids. It is what makes them themselves. It is WHO they are. Learning what interests and drives them helps me to know these people God has entrusted into my care....

We do talk grammar, diagram sentences from our writing, play madlibs...make up our own madlibs, drill spelling words in the doctors's office while we wait....our education is ongoing and lifelong. It is who we are.

It works....my older kids can't wait to graduate from college so they can go back to learning:D. Oy!!

Faithe

My kids practice piano almost every day. Read something, and listen to read alouds. All other subjects are a sometimes get to. Even with this my eldest is almost finished Singapore 2a with no problems from working about 20 to 30 minutes a week. He also went from reading sonlight readers from the grade 2 list, to those on the grade 4 to 5 list in a few short months.

So much other stuff can be covered with just reading. Or in our case listening to reading, and talking about it.

I found that if we do a school intensive day with Singapore math, and writing then they need a day or two off before and/or after to let in all sink in and brew. If they have more then one intensive school day in the row my teaching becomes similar to pouring rice into a sieve. But if i let things brew, even if it's just a new interesting read aloud then i can sit back and watch the connections get made.

Guest brissieyan

We did this for about 14 weeks earlier this year because I was so exhausted and contemplating school. I asked my ds7 and dd8 to do one SM lesson, their piano practice and a minimum of 1 hour of reading each day as well as their extracurricular activities. They did many more hours of reading than 1 (they were already very proficient readers) and played such involved, creative games that I was very happy with the results. We will definitely do this again whenever I experience burnout. I spent a lot of time catching up around the house and playing with my ds4 and dd1 at the time.

You described our school day. Though admittedly I don't *teach* math as often as I should (we do MOTL so he does get his five-a-days done 3-4 days per week). But for now I'll continue to blame the baby and remain confident that it will return soon. Oh, and we also are working through Writing With Ease which takes 10-minutes at most each day.

Otherwise the days are really just read, read, read. He'll read to himself for hours. And rattle off all that he reads about. I plant lots of books around the house for him to discover. From science to biographies and every thing in between.

I also try and work in a good hour or two of reading aloud per day. My reading aloud is where he gets his exposure and all the rabbit trails he follows. Write now I am reading aloud through American history by day. He is loving this and we have had some great discussions. I plan to cycle through reading aloud SOTW and go-alongs after I finish. I also have a stack of good, fun literature (both of the picture book & chapter book variety) that I read aloud by night.

Projects, drawing, writing all come. I have lots of inspirational resources around. But his imagination is by far the best resource he has.

She narrates mostly the picture books she had read hundreds of times. It makes sense to me as they are short enough for her to sumarize with a few sentences. She did the same to quite a few Beatrix Potter books.

Isn't this the way that most of our great thinkers became great thinkers? By reading? Talking? Writing? Do it. Curriculum is overrated.

:iagree:

I was also going to echo what others have said: It sounds very Robinson, and works very well for many! I, too, say go for it! Sounds heavenly to me. :D If a child reads great material they will pick up spelling and grammar and only need a tad bit when they get to 7th grade or so.

We did this during a hectic time in our life, and it worked beautifully. For us, it was:

1 Math lesson

1 English lesson (copywork or grammar)

2 hours silent reading

We're currently doing more than that now, but I often wonder if it's necessary ;)

P.S. For booklists, I'm hard-pressed to recommend a better resource than the 1000 Good Books list. (And it's free!)

I have lots of inspirational resources around. But his imagination is by far the best resource he has.

:iagree:

I think it sounds wonderful. It also sounds like alot less stress. Sometimes I wonder if all our planning gets in the way of their learning.

Again, :iagree:

Morning math

read all day

You've essentially described homeschooling in our home. My kids are early birds, so DD8 is usually up at 6:15 & reading something, has math done by 7:30, we read together on the couch with DS6 at around 8:30 till 9:30 & we're all done by 10:00 a.m. Our reading includes history, science, grammar, living math books, etc.

The amazing thing is that they seem to retain a lot more information this way. It works for us & best of all it leaves lots of time for playing & having fun.

• 1 month later...

Morning math

read all day

I hear ya loud n clear!!!!!!:bigear::bigear:

Edited to add: If you really are doing four things for grammar, two for spelling, and two for writing, and two-to-five for math, I'd certainly say it was complicated! There is middle ground here!

I agree here, that is a lot. Can you narrow it down to 1 writing, 1 spelling, 1 grammar and 2 math programs?

But doing math and lots of reading sounds wonderful :).

For 2nd grade I would do it and have ;) but in 4th grade I would add some grammar at least.

Edited by Homeschooling6

I do not regret letting my children relax and enjoy educating themselves. Everyone is different though. You have to be okay with your children being a bit “behind grade level†in a subject or two. If you are going to test them for state reasons or otherwise, they will need a refresher and a test prep period, but often that is all that is needed.

Most children will pick up writing and grammar skills from reading good literature. Now if you have a child with an LD, you might need to do a little more. History and science topics are constantly repeated anyway...no one can learn all there is to know about these subjects. But we all can benefit from being excited about a topic and self-educating ourselves...

just my two cents..:)

Don't.do.it. Basically, this seems to be what we en up with every year. You will regret it, that is all I have to say.

On the flipside, if you want them to accomplish more, and every year is a bust, I can understand your feelings of frustration. :grouphug:

My 7th grader seriously asked me if she could do that. I thought about it for maybe 2 seconds. She'd skimp on math though she'd paint and crochet and act and all the artsy stuff. And read, read, read. If she were elementary I might have let her do it.

For me, it would depend on the individual child and the age as well.

I've been simplifying around here as well. My son isn't proficient reader yet though, so we are still working on that. I have cut our time down to 1-1.5 hrs, which as he is in 1st seems rather appropriate anyway. We're doing Math (RSC) 30 min, Websters - 15 min, AAS Spelling 10 min(2xwk), HWoT 10 Min, Grammar(2xwk)10 min or so. SoTW 1x week 30 min, Science 1-2 x wk 30 min. I feel mine should do more with writing but it is hard for him, we do discuss and such though.

Morning math

read all day

As long as you include comic books in the list of acceptable writing pieces, this describes my son's dream school day. He doesn't complain about math or reading, but pretty much everything else. I have reworked our schedule so he only has to do "everything else" on Mon, Wed, Fri. Tues & Thurs he works on his own and pretty much only has to do math and reading.

Morning math

read all day

I think that sounds fabulous. Here are my guidelines for this kind of education

• Have conversations with them daily about what they are reading and what makes it so interesting to them.
  • Have a read aloud and/or audio book time where I supplement with readings that I think they will enjoy and will balance their personal choices. (They read all history, I choose compelling science-based reading for example.)
  • Provide support for their interests by noticing what they are doing and providing opportunities for field trips, science kits, art supplies, co-op classes, videos, apps and interesting websites that I think they would like.
  • Provide support for their interests by providing them with the resources they need when they desire to work on a project.
  • Offer books or items that I think they might be interested in (helping provide balance again) with the understanding that they don't have to be interested and may choose to pass. But then they may not. ;)
  • Keep a journal to ease my mind about how much they are learning.
  • Have a routine so they know which times we will focus on learning and projects and which times they are free to play, play, play.

Add that to a little math and language arts instruction and it makes for a great education in the early years and possibly even beyond.

It is what we are going to do in the new year. I love planning unit studies and my kids love doing about 50% of what I plan. Problem is, I never know which 50% they are going to love and which will flop. Tired of the feelings it was bringing up and the conflict. Also tired of the fact that they can hardly ever tell you about something they learned in "school" today, but can rattle off all kinds of information from the ocean book Dad read to them (their choice) at bedtime or from The Magic School Bus or Cyberchase. :glare: I know when to cut my losses.