At what age do you tell?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. At what age do you tell?

• 6-8
    • 8-10
    • 10-12
    • other

That's exactly how we do it.

However, our 10, almost 11yo is still clinging to his belief and this will be his last Christmas before we more forcefully NUDGE him with that question! LOL Our other kids have been 8 or 9 when they stopped believing, but this is my sensitive boy and I want him to have it as long as possible or until he's likely to find out from his peers--the latter time has probably passed and he's just been lucky! :D

I still believe. We never flat out and say No Santa. We believe in the spirit of Santa and we are Santa's helpers.:D

Same here. My dc are 17 & 21 and I've never told them there's no Santa. In fact, I told them that if they ever decide they don't believe, they should never, ever tell me. We still talk about "what Santa's going to bring", although we do wink a lot. ;) It's one of the most fun things about being a parent, and I want the magic to keep on going. Santa still waits until the kids are asleep and then he puts the presents under the tree.

Edited by ereks mom

I've always explained Santa Claus, St. Nicholas, etc as very kind man who wanted children to remember Jesus' birth. So he began giving presents to children on Christmas many many years ago. So basically telling the truth that there was a person (or a couple of people) who Santa is based on. So my DD can put 2 and 2 together and she can believe or not believe in the North Pole, flying reindeer Santa of popular culture.

I notice that some parents do the "if you don't believe, then you don't get presents". I've never understood why parents do that one. It always seemed odd to me.

Same here. My dc are 17 & 21 and I've never told them there's no Santa. In fact, I told them that if they ever decide they don't believe, they should never, ever tell me. We still talk about "what Santa's going to bring", although we do wink a lot. ;) It's one of the most fun things about being a parent, and I want the magic to keep on going. Santa still waits until the kids are asleep and then he puts the presents under the tree.

This is how my mom was with us. If you don't believe, you don't receive. I don't ever remember the moment where I stopped believing in Santa. It must not have been too traumatic for me LOL.

We tell them when the answer to the question "what do YOU think?" is a reluctant but honest "I think it's you and dad." so whether that is 5 or 12, that is when we tell. We also say that those in the know don't spoil it for the younger ones.:001_smile:

This, and for all of my kids it usually happens around the 8 y/o mark. My youngest just bust my bubble this week. The hard part is our DGS is 5 and he and his mother live with us and I know that the DS who just found out would want to tell him because they are close and he loves to share what he knows. I actually was a bit mean because I hinted that if DGS found out that Santa wasn't real then Santa wouldn't need to come anymore. I didn't go on to explain that there would still be presents. I also stressed the fun of being in on the secret, so I am hoping.