Menu

Shoes for walking/running sneaker type athletic things...

Whatever you want to call them.

Normally the price tag is our main consideration in buying sneakers. Lately the family and I have been doing a lot of walking. We walk to the library, around town, (saves gas) and we walk for fun after dinner in the evenings often 3 - 4 miles. It has occurred to dh and I that we really could use something better than the typical $10 Wal-mart shoes we normally buy. So how do I pick a pair of shoes that will suit our needs yes will still be reasonably priced? I am really clueless about athletic attire, so please type slowly :tongue_smilie:

Normally the price tag is our main consideration in buying sneakers. Lately the family and I have been doing a lot of walking. We walk to the library, around town, (saves gas) and we walk for fun after dinner in the evenings often 3 - 4 miles. It has occurred to dh and I that we really could use something better than the typical $10 Wal-mart shoes we normally buy. So how do I pick a pair of shoes that will suit our needs yes will still be reasonably priced? I am really clueless about athletic attire, so please type slowly :tongue_smilie:

Get RUNNING shoes as they have more arch support than walking shoes. If you are walking around on sidewalks, streets, etc. you REALLY need the cushioning and arch support of running shoes. Plantar fascitis (sp!) you don't need! :001_smile:

Get RUNNING shoes as they have more arch support than walking shoes. If you are walking around on sidewalks, streets, etc. you REALLY need the cushioning and arch support of running shoes. Plantar fascitis (sp!) you don't need! :001_smile:

I had to run to keep up with my 4 year old yesterday. The kid probably went 1 1/2 mile nonstop, and he is FAST :001_smile:

Seriously, how do I identify running shoes as opposed to walking shoes, aerobic shoes, basketball shoes, piece of leather with string holding it together, etc., They all look the same to me.

What brand do you like, and which brands are just fashion/hype?

I hope I don't sound too stupid :tongue_smilie:

Seriously, how do I identify running shoes as opposed to walking shoes, aerobic shoes, basketball shoes, piece of leather with string holding it together, etc., They all look the same to me.

If you go into a sporting goods type store, they have shoes labels as to what kind they are. If they aren't labeled, then the sales people should know. The best thing to do is go to a place that they actually look at your feet and match shoes to your feet. Go here to find a place near you. They have the places near me that I would go if my shoes weren't working.

Personally for my feet, I hate Nikes - they are too wide on the back of my foot. Saconys fall apart too quickly. New Balance makes my knees hurt. I like Brooks and Asics. I've been running in Asics for a few years now and love them. I do go for fashion. :tongue_smilie: If they have the same shoe in 2 different colors, I'll go for the color I like best.

Be aware, running shoes are expensive! About $70-100 is what I spend.

I had to run to keep up with my 4 year old yesterday. The kid probably went 1 1/2 mile nonstop, and he is FAST :001_smile:

At our Wlamart they have the shoes labeled. Since I already have bad feet, I am buying the $100 shoes from the sporting goods store. You do need to look for an obvious arch in the sole of the shoe, it will swell upwards. Also running shoes tend to have mesh-like stuff instead of leather etc. over the foot area, whereas walking shoes will have leather or canvas more solid tops. Hope this makes sense.

I found it well worth my time and $ to go to a running store and get fitted for shoes. At my store they put me on a treadmill and took a video of me running and then analyzed it along with my actual foot and my activity (jogging on a treadmill). They recommend 3 different shoes for me based on what they saw. I would assume they would be able to do the same thing for walking.

The shoe I bought was an Addidas, and while it was expensive (for me--most of my shoes are less than $20) at almost $100, it was well worth it because all of my knee pain went away and I was confident that it would suit my needs when I bought it. I attempted looking on my own, and was overwhelmed and didn't want to spend $50+ on a shoe I wasn't sure would fit my needs. Now that I have a shoe that works, I'll order online when I need a new pair (I can't justify the extra markup to buy another of the same pair from them).

Another vote for going to a running store. They are trained to look at your foot and how you walk. I was running in an old pair when I started running earlier this year. I had injury after injury. When I started wearing the new shoes, the tendonitis stopped happening. I ended up with Adidas. But, I also loved the Mizuno shoes. It cost me $95.

My ds 12 just told me that he'd like to start running too. I'm going to get him a good pair as well.

Good for you for all that walking!!!

Great questions, Cindy! I have been wondering the same thing. I NEED to walk more for exercise...sitting at the computer isn't burning many calories!

*Cindy wonders how many calories each mouse click burns*

Oh, and dh found a running store. :thumbup1: