Menu

Anybody here who has read "The Shack" by Wm.Young?

My dh and I both read it a few months ago. My dh's first words were "Well, it's good but it's not the Bible." I had a similar response but for both of us, it has changed how we view God forever. I realize this is fiction and it's one man's wrestling with theological issues (Wm. Young lives a few hours from here and several of my friends have heard him speak...his own life story is all about tragedy, forgiveness, healing). Also, and I won't reveal any spoilers, my favorite part is yet to come. So, for me, the fact that it has affected how I see God (positively), it was worth the read.

Now, my db read it and it has affected his life in a huge way. There was a particular section that brought to surface an old, deep wound and he had never seen it. But it surfaced while reading it and he is in the process of dealing with it. It's a good thing.

One of the book clubs and several others in our town have read it and had many varied reactions to it...everything from not liking it at all to similar to my db...life changing. I would definitely read it and see where you land out.

So far, I must say that it's one of the most poorly written novels I have ever read. It's really just painful. Most of our high school students could have written the first few chapters as well.

But I am trying to read it anyway because I know that those who love it aren't really loving it for the great fiction but for his perspective on theological issues. So okay. I am going to see what God is going to have to say to him in the shack. It better be good:)

Really liked it. Like the others, it was tough going at the beginning, but then I really enjoyed it. It caused me to look at things differently than I ever had before. It definitely is NOT the Bible, but neither are many of my preconceived notions, so I'm okay with that. There were a couple of things I strongly disagreed with, but for the most part it challenged my views in a positive way.

First off, I'd like to thank you for sharing. Second, it seems like most of you are on the same page. All the positive reviews (on/in the book) really set-up one's expectations. I mean, really, can it be compared to "The Pilgrim's Progress"? So far, I don't see it.

Supposedly, it's biggest fans are from what is termed "The Emergent Church". I have a little bit of orientation with those perspectives via Rob Bell and his NOOMA videos. I'm a little old for membership with that group (50yo this Oct.). I'm all for new, fresh perspectives...but am uneasy with re-creating God (to say the least). I guess I must finish this book to say much more. I want an open mind...but not an empty one.

Thnks,

Geo

No flames please--I would say it's one of those books that puts experience above scripture in an honest attempt get people to understand the love of God. Some of it really is counter to scripture, and for me and many, that means it's probably not so great.

That said, I truly appreciate the perspective of folks who just want people to know that God really, really loves us. It 's so difficult for the human mind to grasp that He is both just and merciful. I've heard it said justice without mercy is cruel, but mercy without justice is even worse. I think The Shack is one person's attempt to correct the "over use" of justice, if that makes any sense whatsoever!

No flames please--I would say it's one of those books that puts experience above scripture in an honest attempt get people to understand the love of God. Some of it really is counter to scripture, and for me and many, that means it's probably not so great.

That said, I truly appreciate the perspective of folks who just want people to know that God really, really loves us. It 's so difficult for the human mind to grasp that He is both just and merciful. I've heard it said justice without mercy is cruel, but mercy without justice is even worse. I think The Shack is one person's attempt to correct the "over use" of justice, if that makes any sense whatsoever!

:iagree: No flames here...that was what I was attempting to say, you just said it better. It's not the Bible, and is therefore flawed. But if you can keep in mind that it was intended as fiction and if it helps us see that God really, really, really, loves us, that's not so bad.