Menu

If You're Buying WWS, Are You Getting the IG

I was reading ahead in the WWS student workbook last night, and I have determined that I am going to need the IG after all, starting around week 12 or 13 (I can't remember specifically). The free sample only went up through week 10, and so I hadn't realized that the later parts of the book would be much less straightforward.

Gosh... I use it all the time with our summaries and outlines. It has helped to 'get the ball of ideas rolling' so to speak on many occasions. ;-) I guess it certainly could be used without the teacher's guide, but it has tended to make my life a wee bit easier.

:iagree:

I wondered about buying it when I was doing the sample last fall too. However, now that we are approaching the end of the year, I know I would never have made it without the TM. I have used it a lot and it has really helped with some of the examples, explanations, suggestions for ways to help a student, not to mention grading!

The early part of WWS is deceptively easy. The program gets much harder and has been challenging for my 7th grader who I thought was a pretty good writer. The TM is money well spent and I will buy it for WWS2 as soon as it becomes available!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janice in NJ

Yes. It's an instructor's guide, not an answer key.

Writing is about getting things right. Yes. Writing must be as error-free as possible.

But writing is also about meaning, and meaning is found in the depths. The better the writer, the more seamlessly woven the layers. Good writing offers much for a wide range of readers (users).

Take the time to put that into an instructor's guide?

I say, "Thank you. Nicely done."

:iagree::iagree:

I say, "Yes, please!"

Hey, Crimson, regarding buying the IG, if I knew you better (and knew you watched TBBT), I'd say, "I informed you thusly."

:lol:

Edited by Angie in VA

:lurk5:

Taking notes...... WWS looks a lot harder to teach than IEW. Does this mean I'll be up late learning classical composition myself? Not sure I'm ready for that.....:tongue_smilie: How much time do you all put into learning the material to teach it?

Paula

Hi Paula,

You asked, "Does this mean I'll be up late learning classical composition myself?"

No. WWS will take you far less prep time than IEW. Susan specifically designs her materials to be open and go. She will grow you as an instructor as you use the materials. It's a natural process. I would strongly recommend that you purchase the Instructor's Guide. But don't be intimidated by it. Unlike SO many writing programs, it is long because of its incremental nature - NOT because you need to wrap your arms around it before you start.

Just do what it says as you march along. Whenever (If?) you feel like you need to pull back to get the big picture, just refer to the Table of Contents - everything is there. As you march along, you will start to see the big picture. Clarity will come with use.

The process of using the materials generates the understanding.

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

Hi Paula,

You asked, "Does this mean I'll be up late learning classical composition myself?"

From one Paula to another, I agree with Janice. WWS is written to the student. My reluctant writer uses it, and when he has questions there are helps in the TE.

I would suggest you take the time to listen to the audio lectures from SWB on A plan for teaching writing and What is Literary Analysis. They will help you understand SWB's writing philosophy.

I was reading ahead in the WWS student workbook last night, and I have determined that I am going to need the IG after all, starting around week 12 or 13 (I can't remember specifically). The free sample only went up through week 10, and so I hadn't realized that the later parts of the book would be much less straightforward.

I'm very impressed that you re-raised your thread to post this. Good luck to you! :)

I'm very impressed that you re-raised your thread to post this. Good luck to you! :)

I figured that someone who had the same question might stumble upon this thread later on and I wanted to update it with my thoughts now that I've had a chance to see the full book rather than just the initial sample. I need to go back and edit my first post to include these updated impressions.

:iagree:

Yes, the IG became indispensable after lesson 20.

• 2 years later...

I figured that someone who had the same question might stumble upon this thread later on and I wanted to update it with my thoughts now that I've had a chance to see the full book rather than just the initial sample. I need to go back and edit my first post to include these updated impressions.

While this thread is over two years old I want to thank you, Crimson Wife, for updating. As you mentioned above I stumbled upon the thread in a search for whether the IG was needed. As I read along I kept thinking I'd never find out what you decided on since the thread was so old. Being a writer myself I was pretty sure I'd find the IG redundant but it appears that it's fairly integral to the overall approach. Thanks again for taking the time to update.

Wow, I'm surprised to see this old thread resurfacing. Get the IG. If I'd had the chance to see the full program from the get-go, I never would've started this thread. My initial thoughts that I might be able to get by without it was based on a very incomplete sample (the first 10 weeks) that turned out to be deceptively easier than the later portions.