Menu

If You're Buying WWS, Are You Getting the IG

Now that WWS is available at PHP as an ebook, I'm trying to decide whether or not to get the IG. When I looked at the sample at the beginning of this school year, I didn't really feel like it added that much to what was in the student text. I only bothered printing out a few of the pages.

What are you all doing?

I absolutely need it and bought it. I am not comfortable to just know what to teach when it comes to writing. We're just getting started and my son had a tough time with the Day 3 of Week 1 summary. Being able to go through the questions in the TM and the sample summaries helped him to see what he should be looking for when he reads it and what I'm looking for in a final product.

Now that WWS is available at PHP as an ebook, I'm trying to decide whether or not to get the IG. When I looked at the sample at the beginning of this school year, I didn't really feel like it added that much to what was in the student text. I only bothered printing out a few of the pages.

What are you all doing?

I'll definitely use the IG. I use the 20 week sample right now (until print copy comes out), and I wouldn't be able to properly evaluate my children's writing without the IG. It has notes on how to help the student through what may be difficult parts, and it has rubrics to evaluate the final piece. There are bits of advice in the IG that I would never think of on my own.

Gosh... I use it all the time with our summaries and outlines. It has helped to 'get the ball of ideas rolling' so to speak on many occasions. ;-) I guess it certainly could be used without the teacher's guide, but it has tended to make my life a wee bit easier.

:iagree:

My son tends to need help getting started, and the IG has been great for that.

Maybe some of you will appreciate this. My son has the typical 11 year old's respect for directions. He is very positive and hard working but I often have to say "Nice work honey, but you were supposed to be doing it this way, not that way," and then brace for tears of despair. Yes, I am constantly telling him to read the directions and ask if he has questions. Yes, I do often make him read the directions out loud etc. This is clearly a wall he has to run into a couple times before he decides it is worth the trouble to avoid it the first time.

So, my first time truly reading the teacher's guide for WWS and I get to announce "A HA! It says right here in black and white that if the student has trouble have the student read the directions out loud. The main cause of difficulties is not reading the instructions!"

See, see! It's not just your mother who has an odd obsession with directions! I told you other people think this way! Here it is in black and white!

Oh, if looks could kill. :lol:

Yes, I plan to get the IG. I don't use it every day, but I use it often enough for it to be worthwhile (I'm pretty much a cheapskate when it comes to TMs, but I know I'll kick myself later on, when dd is in the middle of some assignment, if I don't get it). I sometimes read or show her the little rubric before she writes the assignment.

I would seriously recommend that you take a look at what you will be missing.

Take a look at this lesson Week 8, Day 3

Student Edition pg 102 - 105

Free ten week sample here:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/store/writing-with-skill-student-1.html

Then read through the Instructor's Edition pg 104 - 107

Free ten week sample here:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/store/writing-with-skill-instructor-1.html

Ummmm. Isn't your kid going to miss the point if you skip the IG? :001_smile:

This program isn't designed to be spoon-fed by the instructor. But it isn't a completely self-directed program either. Writers need feedback.

Peace,

Janice

Looking over the IG sample again, it just doesn't seem like it adds very much to what's in the student text. Yes, there are sample responses and rubrics but they seem pretty obvious to me.

I'm thinking that when the printed IG becomes available, I'm going to need to spend some time looking over the complete book at the HS bookstore to see if there's anything later on that makes it worth the pricetag.

Did you read through the pages listed? I don't mean to be rude, but did you read them? (I really am trying to help.)

How are you going to make this lesson relevant without the information in the IG?

I'm confused,

Janice

Yes, I have read through them twice now. What I see is a small version of what's printed on the student page, then some sample responses, then a rubric. All of the added material in the IG (the sample responses and the rubric) seem totally obvious to me. Maybe I just think the way SWB does? :confused:

If the WWS IG were be more like the WWE Strong Fundamentals book, I would definitely get that. SF has more guidance to the teacher and it isn't stuff that I find completely obvious like what I see in the WWS IG sample.

I am definitely using and will be buying the IG. It has rubrics of what you are supposed to be looking for in the writing--e.g. use 3 time words, make sure the ideas in compound sentences are related, that sort of thing. Plus, I've used it many times to help him when he's stuck with something like picking out the main idea of a paragraph. It has great ideas for that. Honestly, I would feel lost without it. It's a security blanket for me. :)

I think some people perhaps have more of a grasp on how to teach something than others do. I am certainly one that would require the TG, but Crimson Wife you are more than welcome to teach it on your own. ;-)

I think the majority of us would say that we would need it though to really be able to bring the entire thing to fruition. Maybe you could go ahead and test yourself a bit, as you can get 20 weeks of WWS from Pattie on request. If you can work through those weeks and not need the TG then you'll have your answer. Since she has given both the student and teacher pages, perhaps you can check your answers with her thoughts as you move through the material, and that should help you ascertain if it's important or not to have it.

It must be similar to those that use just CW core texts vs those that prefer the Student workbooks and Teacher books as well. We each have such vastly different ways of teaching material that even if ALL of us are telling you to get the TG, you truly may find that you do well without it. Thankfully SWB has given you 20 free weeks to find out.

Did you read through the pages listed?

Yes, I have read through them twice now. What I see is a small version of what's printed on the student page, then some sample responses, then a rubric. All of the added material in the IG (the sample responses and the rubric) seem totally obvious to me. Maybe I just think the way SWB does? :confused:

I think you are missing some very necessary info. from the pages Janice listed for the IG. You wouldn't be able to complete the lesson as intended without it, unless you could read SWB's mind (or read her mind in the IG). It is not obvious in the student book at all. But it is one example of what's in the IG (and not the student book) that helps us to teach WWS as intended, and for the student to fully grasp the thinking behind the lesson. I suggest, as WWS does to students, that you read the IG pages Janice listed and follow the teaching instructions carefully. Hopefully you'll see why so many of us consider the IG necessary and not optional to the program.

Edited by Colleen in NS

Wow. My hat is off to you. There is no way I would have pushed for the kind of depth offered in the sample responses without the IG.

The alliteration alone is fun. I just forget about such things:

- The "last light" and the "glowing light" - same alliteration, different connotation.

- The hard "r" sounds of "lurid crimson, struggled, corners, room remained dark" v. the soft S's and L's with a healthy topping of "cozy corners."

- The hardness of "dark sofas, battered chairs, unfriendly clusters" v. the forgiving sounds of "squashy, sofa sat, loveseat on one side."

Even the use of absolutes. I always forget to encourage the more complex structures, but I am thankful when reminded.

And then the original passage. I would never have connected the exercise to Poe on my own. So much room for a healthy writing-intensive conversation, especially after the child has struggled on his own. These are the kinds of things we focus on. I would have missed most of that without the pick-up-and-go IG. The IG makes it easy to plan our face time at a glance.

I must admit that I'm still confused that the guidance offered is not worth $ 0.73 per week. But maybe that's because I've spent a boatload on writing curriculum.

To each his own.

Peace,

Janice

Edited by Janice in NJ

IDK, maybe after using Michael Clay Thompson (MCT) materials for the past couple of years, I'm just used to teaching via Socratic discussion without needing specific prompting/spoon-feeding.

DD is finishing up her last week in Paragraph Writing Made Easy and has 2 more weeks left of Caesar's English 2 so I figured we would start WWS after Thanksgiving. I'll just have to see how things go. I'm perfectly willing to spend the money on the IG if it's something I'll actually use.

IDK, maybe after using Michael Clay Thompson (MCT) materials for the past couple of years, I'm just used to teaching via Socratic discussion without needing specific prompting/spoon-feeding.

...I'm perfectly willing to spend the money on the IG if it's something I'll actually use.

It sounds to me as if you either don't understand the instructions (and why they are there) at the bottom of p. 107 (week 8, day 3) of the IG, or that you didn't read them (you previously mentioned seeing a rubric on the IG pages that you told Janice you'd read after she recommended specifics - there is no rubric on those pages). In her last post, Janice touched on what you seem to be missing (hint: Poe). Is there something we can try to clarify for you?

The teaching instructions on p. 107 are not spoon-feeding - they are the finale of the lesson. They are *not something you could come up with on your own, no matter how experienced you are in Socratic discussion.* The lesson in the student book will not be complete unless you follow those directions.

And I suspect there are more sections like this in the IG. I just don't have time to go examine it right now. That would be your job as a possible WWS teacher. ;)

Obviously you can choose to use the IG or not. But you should understand that your children will miss out on making some of the necessary and complete connections that are built into the IG. I'd just hate for you to start using WWS, student-book only, and then come back to post about how "it didn't work for my child."

It sounds to me as if you either don't understand the instructions (and why they are there) at the bottom of p. 107 (week 8, day 3) of the IG, or that you didn't read them (you previously mentioned seeing a rubric on the IG pages that you told Janice you'd read after she recommended specifics - there is no rubric on those pages). In her last post, Janice touched on what you seem to be missing (hint: Poe). Is there something we can try to clarify for you?

The teaching instructions on p. 107 are not spoon-feeding - they are the finale of the lesson. They are *not something you could come up with on your own, no matter how experienced you are in Socratic discussion.* The lesson in the student book will not be complete unless you follow those directions.

And I suspect there are more sections like this in the IG. I just don't have time to go examine it right now. That would be your job as a possible WWS teacher. ;)

Obviously you can choose to use the IG or not. But you should understand that your children will miss out on making some of the necessary and complete connections that are built into the IG. I'd just hate for you to start using WWS, student-book only, and then come back to post about how "it didn't work for my child."

I've got page 107 of the IG sample (week 8, day 3) open right now in another window and I actually don't see any discussion of alliteration or absolutes. What I see is the following guidance:

DonĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t expect the student to change every verb and add adjectives to every noun; this would clutter up the passage. Instead, focus on whether the verbs or adjectives chosen are appropriate to the purpose of the passage. The student may also leave out words and phrases, and combine or divide sentences.

Fine advice, but seems pretty obvious to me.

Then, comes the two sample rewrites and the Poe excerpt. Granted, the Poe excerpt isn't in the student book but it seems IMHO like such a minor thing (a "nice to have" rather than a "need to have").

The rubrics are after day 1 and day 4, on pp. 101 and 111. I've been going over this section for the past 25 minutes and I'm just wondering what I'm missing that you all are seeing :confused:

I've got page 107 of the IG sample (week 8, day 3) open right now in another window and I actually don't see any discussion of alliteration or absolutes.

I said "the bottom of p. 107."

Besides, about the alliteration and absolutes - Janice was just pointing out some fun that *she* derives from the two different writing samples. And as another aside, I learned something new when Janice posted that. That's why I love these boards - teachers helping other teachers to make teaching easier and more efficient. And fun.

What I see is the following guidance:

Fine advice, but seems pretty obvious to me.

Yes, that part can be obvious for some (although it's very helpful to others).

Then, comes the two sample rewrites and the Poe excerpt. Granted, the Poe excerpt isn't in the student book but it seems IMHO like such a minor thing (a "nice to have" rather than a "need to have").

This is the part I kept thinking you were missing. It *is* important. Did you catch that there are actual instructions (command sentences - "ask..." "tell....") to the teacher there? To tell the student that the description was a paraphrase of a piece of Poe's writing, and then to ask the student to read the following passage (the actual Poe writing) aloud. When you see instructions (as opposed to suggestions, which are plenty in WWS), doesn't it occur to you to follow them, or to at least ask why they are there, instead of just dismissing them?

Personally, I think they are there to clinch the whole lesson for the student. The student has just taken a description (which we find out, later in the IG, is a paraphrase of a famous piece of writing) and practiced writing his own description from it in two different ways. So his mind has been actively working on finding vivid adjectives and verbs that suit each separate assignment (romantic vs. ghostly). His mind would have seen the difference afterwards as he compared his two writings. And then, you (following the IG instructions) tell him the paragraph he worked from was a paraphrase of something else, and then you have him read the original of that something-else out loud. Voila, what hopefully happens is that his mind, fresh from working on verbs and adjectives, will pick out the wonderful words that Poe used. And the student gets to see how his own pieces of writing compare to this masterpiece of writing. And I'm sure there is more to it, but right now I don't know how to put that in words. But the student wouldn't get to go through these mental connections if you hadn't led him through those IG instructions.

Then read through the Instructor's Edition pg 104 - 107

(bolding is mine)

The rubrics are after day 1 and day 4, on pp. 101 and 111. I've been going over this section for the past 25 minutes and I'm just wondering what I'm missing that you all are seeing :confused:

It was the Poe part that I already explained. But Janice only mentioned p. 104-107 of the IG. She asked you if you'd read those pages, and you said yes. There are no rubrics on those. This is what makes me think you aren't reading them or these posts closely. WWS tells the parent to tell the student to read the instructions carefully. It's how they are going to learn the material. The same applies to us as teachers - we need to read carefully if we want to teach the material properly.

Edited by Colleen in NS

This is the part I kept thinking you were missing. It *is* important. Did you catch that there are actual instructions (command sentences - "ask..." "tell....") to the teacher there? To tell the student that the description was a paraphrase of a piece of Poe's writing, and then to ask the student to read the following passage (the actual Poe writing) aloud. When you see instructions (as opposed to suggestions, which are plenty in WWS), doesn't it occur to you to follow them, or to at least ask why they are there, instead of just dismissing them?

This is where we're just going to have to agree to disagree. I read the page, saw the direction to tell the student to read the excerpt, and felt like that particular part of WWS was a "nice to have" thing rather than a crucial "need to have" one. From where I stand, the lesson appears to work just fine without having the student read the original Poe excerpt. IG's and TM's are not Gospel and I hardly ever do them 100% as originally written.

When the full WWS IG gets published, I'm planning a trip to the HS bookstore to look through it and see if there's anything major I feel is missing. I'm not seeing it in the sample of the first 8 weeks, but there very well could be something later on.

This is where we're just going to have to agree to disagree. I read the page, saw the direction to tell the student to read the excerpt, and felt like that particular part of WWS was a "nice to have" thing rather than a crucial "need to have" one. From where I stand, the lesson appears to work just fine without having the student read the original Poe excerpt. IG's and TM's are not Gospel and I hardly ever do them 100% as originally written.

When the full WWS IG gets published, I'm planning a trip to the HS bookstore to look through it and see if there's anything major I feel is missing. I'm not seeing it in the sample of the first 8 weeks, but there very well could be something later on.

:confused: I didn't know we were disagreeing on something. I thought you didn't understand the necessity of the IG. I still don't think you do, but I'll end here knowing that you can always review the thread if wish.

Good luck.

I would like to add that today I was pre-planning for tomorrow's assignment on Ivan the Terrible and St. Basil's Cathedral.... Week 11, Day 4. I have found it very helpful to grab short videos from Discovery or The History Channel on the subject that SWB outlined. Since we haven't reached this in history yet, it helps my dc to become more engaged in what they want to write about. I did the same thing when we wrote about the Titanic by finding video clips of the ship, and one of the SOS recordings for us to listen to.

Anyway, I noted that the assignment has us writing a description of St. Basil's Cathedral along with our Ivan composition. The IG provides help with suggested adjectives and nouns, as well as how to guide the student in finding appropriate similes and other descriptive elements. SWB also gives us paragraph descriptions from two travelogues for inspiration, or to show your student afterwards. None of that is available in the student book. I think it's a matter of depth within each assignment, as I would miss my target by a wide margin without the IG. ;-)

Love that idea SaDonna. This is not exactly on topic, but I do find the reading selections so extremely well chosen. Many of the selections are just great to read--the description of the door knocker in Dickens from week 10--or unexpected--Jonathan Kozol!!--or otherwise outstanding. They've led us to other reading and discussions. However, I hadn't thought of reading ahead and prepping for some of them. Maybe that is what I will do with my day off Friday....

No kidding about the great selections. It is truly a gift to have a curriculum that excites a young reader enough to want get a copy of the book as soon as they are done with the excerpt. That has been the best gift of this curriculum so far, and it started way back in WWE. ;-) Just the other day the excerpt from The Adventures of Tom Sawyer had them fighting over the book to read it again. For my ds it was his first time, so he got first crack at chapters 1 - 10 before we discussed how vividly Twain described the graveyard scene, and how spooked Tom was before he had even left his room earlier that night! That's what great writing can do to you. I love this curriculum for that reason, and a host of others.. but mainly for all the new reading we are doing. It led them to buy a used copy of The Book of Dragons and other Edith Nesbit books.

The only other things that I have done to tweak it a bit (and I am way off of the OPs original question here.. ha) are that I try to play act sometimes with them. Take for example the Kepler story. I really wanted them to think about some of his direct quotes, and how maddening it must have been to stare up at the planets for that many years! I sort of get into it, but it seems to help THEM get into it too. ;-) Then it becomes more exciting to retell his story. With Titanic we talked about how cold people must have been and reluctant to get on the lifeboats, not believing it would ever actually SINK! Which is why they were almost empty in the beginning. They read accounts of the survivors as well.

I also bring in the Figures of Description that we are learning within Classical Composition Fable. With the Kepler story we used astrothesia as well as a few others that I can't remember off the top of my head. So.. I am somewhat combining things, but we are enjoying it!

Crimson, I am right there with you. I love WWS but with limited curriculum dollars I may not get the teachers guide for DS (8th grader). I am fairly positive I'll need it when I use it with DD though since she will be younger and will need more help. DS is completing the assignments with ease :001_smile: They are so well crafted. Honestly he is only needing a few mechanical edits. I think part of this is his age and that he is a reader. I don't know. I can see how the IG could be indispensable for some. I just wanted to say that I don't think you are crazy for considering this. I have still not made up my mind 100% there are some good arguments (posted here) for how much the IG adds.

On the other hand since I am fairly sure I'll need the IG for DD I may just go ahead and buy it now as an "investment".

Christmas presents, curriculum, christmas, curriculum....tough choices kwim?:tongue_smilie:

We are on week 7 of the 20 week sample and I know already that I will definitely be getting the IG. I do refer to it and find it helpful. Besides, if the author says it is needed and that they were designed to work together, I am taking her word for it.

A lot of time and effort went in to creating this great curriculum so that it is most beneficial to the student. To say that both books aren't necessary almost comes across as saying that the authors and producers just wasted their time. I'm a fairly smart lady, but not anywhere close to being a mind reader.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Edited by HSMom2One

I know I had said previously that I was done talking about the necessity of the IG, but I want to share something else.

Last night I was reading the beginning of the IG (now from the ch. 1-10 sample at the PHP website) more closely, and I realized that there are some things I neglected to teach when we started a few weeks ago! Today I started implementing them (one being have the confused child read the directions out loud to me if he/she comes to me for help). This IG is not just an answer/suggestion/rubric key. It is a true teaching manual. It shows you how to teach writing. The teaching helps in it, which might be missed with a skimming as they sometimes come in just a sentence or two, could only come from someone who is already experienced in teaching writing. Like SWB implied upthread, WWS is just. not. complete. without it. It's also a real bargain of a teaching course.

Yes. It's an instructor's guide, not an answer key. Like all good authors, Susan has layered the message. There's something for the newbie. And there's something for folks who have been at this for a while.

Writing is about getting things right. Yes. Writing must be as error-free as possible.

But writing is also about meaning, and meaning is found in the depths. The better the writer, the more seamlessly woven the layers. Good writing offers much for a wide range of readers (users).

Take the time to put that into an instructor's guide?

I say, "Thank you. Nicely done."

My advice? Buy the guide. Read it. Mark it up. Own it. Teaching kids to wield the written word is probably the most challenging part of this job. Figure that one out? Homeschooling takes on an entirely different form. ;)

Hope you all have a good weekend.

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

Looking over the IG sample again, it just doesn't seem like it adds very much to what's in the student text. Yes, there are sample responses and rubrics but they seem pretty obvious to me.

:lol::lol: This is the way I feel about the Singapore HIGs that so many find absolutely necessary. OTOH, I do find the WWE/S IGs helpful in making sure we're on the right track. I do think part of it just depends on the way your brain works. :D

I've learned three things with regards to IGs (in general)

1) Sometimes I don't need them.

2) That I should check my ego at the door and never be embarrassed about buying or using one.

3) If the cost is within my budget I buy them. I do this more and more often as the kids age.

I haven't had to use the IG yet but we are still in the early weeks-I suspect that it may come in handy at some point. If only to give me a point of reference or an insight into what the author's goals and intents were-this sometimes helps me answer student's questions. Also, I find that my expectations can be out of line with the assignment-sometimes the IG gives me a reality check.

Don't forget--if you start without the IG you can buy it later if you change your mind.

• 2 months later...

Although we are barely into week 2....Just chiming in to say that I would be lost w/o the IG. SWB provides everything I need in that book. Well worth the $$.

Dd8 is loving her 'yellow' writing book. She does it fairly independently thus far. She's in fat city with her laptop and yellow book. Today she conquered her first outline and it was painless. Thank you, SWB!

No kidding about the great selections. It is truly a gift to have a curriculum that excites a young reader enough to want get a copy of the book as soon as they are done with the excerpt. That has been the best gift of this curriculum so far, and it started way back in WWE. ;-) Just the other day the excerpt from The Adventures of Tom Sawyer had them fighting over the book to read it again. For my ds it was his first time, so he got first crack at chapters 1 - 10 before we discussed how vividly Twain described the graveyard scene, and how spooked Tom was before he had even left his room earlier that night! That's what great writing can do to you. I love this curriculum for that reason, and a host of others.. but mainly for all the new reading we are doing. It led them to buy a used copy of The Book of Dragons and other Edith Nesbit books.

The only other things that I have done to tweak it a bit (and I am way off of the OPs original question here.. ha) are that I try to play act sometimes with them. Take for example the Kepler story. I really wanted them to think about some of his direct quotes, and how maddening it must have been to stare up at the planets for that many years! I sort of get into it, but it seems to help THEM get into it too. ;-) Then it becomes more exciting to retell his story. With Titanic we talked about how cold people must have been and reluctant to get on the lifeboats, not believing it would ever actually SINK! Which is why they were almost empty in the beginning. They read accounts of the survivors as well.

I also bring in the Figures of Description that we are learning within Classical Composition Fable. With the Kepler story we used astrothesia as well as a few others that I can't remember off the top of my head. So.. I am somewhat combining things, but we are enjoying it!

SaDonna, I am stalking you. :)

I would love to see your resource list for WWS.

Yes. It's an instructor's guide, not an answer key.

Writing is about getting things right. Yes. Writing must be as error-free as possible.

But writing is also about meaning, and meaning is found in the depths. The better the writer, the more seamlessly woven the layers. Good writing offers much for a wide range of readers (users).

Take the time to put that into an instructor's guide?

I say, "Thank you. Nicely done."

:iagree::iagree:

I say, "Yes, please!"