Menu

x-post: Is 5-6 too young for 1st grade?

PeacefulChaos

Ok, so I made the mistake of reading the article linked in one of the other posts (not that it was a bad article - just that it sent me second guessing) and wanted a little input.

DS5 will be 6 on the 17th. I never did anything K with him - he went to a pre-k program at the public school last year, and did great, and we started homeschooling in July. The only thing that he's doing that is 'K' level would be his beginning handwriting and, of course, learning to read. Everything else he's doing is 1st grade work.

Is that ok? I guess I just don't want to be setting him up for failure or something, idk... I just figured that K is a year where they don't really learn a whole lot anyway, and I started K at age 4 so he's about the same age I was in the same grade (I know, totally different kids, so that's kind of a moot point), and I did fine.

He still stays in the pre-k/K class at church, because developmentally and socially I think that's more of where he's at. And I don't find it necessary to bend the rules of the church just because I have chosen a different route than the common one.

Also, we have to do annual testing in our state starting in grade 1 and I was going to go ahead and do it, otherwise I was worried that all the records with the state would be off?? Like, would they be asking me for information on him being a senior when he's actually starting college?

FTR, he isn't a super 'advanced' kid. He's pretty normal. I don't know that I could see him going to college and doing anything super hard anyway - that sounds a LOT worse than I mean it! I'm just saying he's a really laid back kid who likes to play a lot - I guess I just can't see that transferring into a young adult who chooses a career that is super taxing. Not that he wouldn't choose a good career, just... Idk, I'm not trying to say anything bad, am I making any sense? :lol: :D

Anyway, any thoughts would be nice. Like I said, I probably shouldn't have even thought about it with the article. But then I thought, wow, I really don't want to mess him up... :)

One of the beauties of homeschooling is the flexibility. Tell him what grade he is in according to his age, and your local cutoff. Then do what you want with him.

If he is K age, and you start 1st grade work, there is no rush if he tapers off mid year. Just review for a month and try again. However, if you tell him and everyone else that he is in 1st grade when he is K age, you can set yourself up for "failure" when he struggles and you drop back a semester or two. By third grade AGE, you will get a much more accurate idea of what he is capable of, and assign his grade level by what grade most of his work is on.

I agree with MusicMama.

There is nothing wrong with doing what you are doing as far as giving him "1st" grade work while he is technically "K" age according to the public school system.

My oldest is a Nov. baby. She was "ready" for K-work at 4, so we started her. My #3 was "ready" for K-work when she turned 5 (in January), so we started her. Both will be listed with our state where they would be as far as age of their PS peers.

Here's my advice as far as the state record-keeping people:

Do the paperwork as if your ds was in K (which he would be in the PS-system, right?). You give yourself plenty of leeway in the future if you want an extra year (while he is maybe dual-enrolled in college for many classes), but you can always say he has completed high school early if you keep him a year ahead of his PS-peers.

You have a long road ahead of you. Make sure you give yourself plenty of flexibility. And, it doesn't really matter if you "do K" with him or not. Seriously. S'all good!

Last year when DS was 5.5, it was the start of his K year, even though a lot of what he was working on was 1st grade materials (FLL1, HWT1, Rightstart B, WWE1 halfway through the year). I called him K.

So now he's 6 and it's his 1st grade year, even though he's moved on to FLL2, Rightstart C, HWT3, etc. I feel grade is more of an age designation rather than what they're learning. I thought it would cause less problems down the road if we just called him as the grade he would be in if he went to public school; he can still work at whatever level he needs though.

My state also requires testing in 2nd grade, and I didn't want to push that a year early. No matter what level of work he is doing, he still has the maturity of a 1st grader, not a 2nd grader.

I agree with the previous posters that said to let him work on a first grade level if that's what he's ready for, but call him K. He's emotionally and socially a kindergartener, so that's where his best fit is, and generally people only ask grade level for social reasons or to try and figure out how old he is. It will be easier for him to communicate with peers of similar maturity and size, than to possibly make him feel like he's too dumb, young or weak (things I've heard kids say) to keep up with the other kids if he's involved in any activities based on grade level.

I think you should assign him to the age-appriate grade and test him based on his age. If he's only partially through first grade when you test, he won't be penalized for not knowing all the material.

I'm doing the same thing. My dd is doing first grade work, but she's age-assigned to kindergarten. We are required to test every year, starting in first grade. I wouldn't want to subject my dd to a test that requires "seat" time above her age tolerance.

I would say not to worry about it. The best thing about homeschooling is that you can tailor the curriculum to your child. My son is doing 1st grade phonics and is advanced in a lot of areas. I just let him go at his own pace. K math is still really helpful because he is learning about money and telling time. I am not pushing him at this age because I don't feel the need to rush. I really don't worry about the grade level of something. I have him listed as K and don't have to report until next year. I plan on leaving him in this track even though he will be doing a lot of work way above grade level. We will just keep moving on when he is ready. Just trust your instincts!!! Don't push too hard to where school is really difficult and unpleasant. Other than that, just let him fly!!!!

I 'label' my kids with grades according to their ages. So my 9 yo is a 4th grader. His birthday is July 30th however, and part of me always wishes I'd 'held' him back on paper. So I understand having a birthday near the dividing mark. My mother 'held' me back a year (August 30th B-Day), and (I think) it helped me academically.

This probably doesn't help you, LOL. Sorry. Other than church/club things (maturity) and sports (age & maturity) it doesn't matter. Usually people just want to know about how old the child is. Then you can ignore the grade levels at home and work on his level.

I 'label' my kids with grades according to their ages. So my 9 yo is a 4th grader. His birthday is July 30, however, and part of me always wishes I'd held him back on paper. So I understand having a birthday near the dividing mark. My mother held me back a year (August 30 B-Day), and (I think) it helped me academically.

*I* wouldn't have held back a child whose birthday was in July. An August 30 bday is only two days off from a September 1, so I can see why your mother did it. Nevertheless, those of us with July bdays (mine is the 18th) made it through school just fine. I never, ever felt I was "young" for my grade; in fact, I have been blown away by the number of people who seem to think that even a May bday is "late." :001_huh:

Ok, so I made the mistake of reading the article linked in one of the other posts (not that it was a bad article - just that it sent me second guessing) and wanted a little input.

DS5 will be 6 on the 17th. I never did anything K with him - he went to a pre-k program at the public school last year, and did great, and we started homeschooling in July. The only thing that he's doing that is 'K' level would be his beginning handwriting and, of course, learning to read. Everything else he's doing is 1st grade work.

Is that ok? I guess I just don't want to be setting him up for failure or something, idk... I just figured that K is a year where they don't really learn a whole lot anyway, and I started K at age 4 so he's about the same age I was in the same grade (I know, totally different kids, so that's kind of a moot point), and I did fine.

He still stays in the pre-k/K class at church, because developmentally and socially I think that's more of where he's at. And I don't find it necessary to bend the rules of the church just because I have chosen a different route than the common one.

Also, we have to do annual testing in our state starting in grade 1 and I was going to go ahead and do it, otherwise I was worried that all the records with the state would be off?? Like, would they be asking me for information on him being a senior when he's actually starting college?

FTR, he isn't a super 'advanced' kid. He's pretty normal. I don't know that I could see him going to college and doing anything super hard anyway - that sounds a LOT worse than I mean it! I'm just saying he's a really laid back kid who likes to play a lot - I guess I just can't see that transferring into a young adult who chooses a career that is super taxing. Not that he wouldn't choose a good career, just... Idk, I'm not trying to say anything bad, am I making any sense? :lol: :D

Anyway, any thoughts would be nice. Like I said, I probably shouldn't have even thought about it with the article. But then I thought, wow, I really don't want to mess him up... :)

The beauty of homeschooling is that you can teach him where he's at. I think you're perfectly fine to do 1st grade handwriting when he's 5 and 2nd grade math and pre-k phonics. Whatever. You tailor the curriculum for what he needs. Public school can't do that. I think that's more of where the issue of late b-days comes into play. As far as testing, I wouldn't test early. I really, really, really wouldn't test early. That's a lot of pressure to keep pushing forward once you start. Let's say he needs to camp out in 3rd grade for a little longer than average and because he's homeschooled he *can* but you have a 4th grade test looming over your head. Too much pressure. Just my .02. :001_smile:

• 4 weeks later...

For the purposes of the state and standardized testing, we've assigned grade level based on age. It will be very easy later on to "skip" a grade once the physical and social maturity has kicked in, if that is necessary. At home, it doesn't matter because we just work with them where they are academically. But for those standardized tests, I'd rather my kids were blowing the ceilings than failing them because they just can't sit still that long.

Agreeing with other posters, and adding that your child may slow down or speed up as the years go by, so it's awfully nice to have that cushion.

Annnddd....it's also difficult to predict, when they are 5 or 6, what exactly is going to change re their interests, motivations, and abilities for the future. I do know you aren't trying to sell him short in your descriptions, but...it kinda sounds like you already have made up your mind about him and his future prospects--he could surprise the socks off of ya! :D

I'd call him K if all the other kids in your state are K at that age. You can work at any level you like but just call it K. I would not test until he is 1st grade age, otherwise you might find future years hard if he has a learning lull.

My boys were often working several years ahead, but I never changed their grade designation. I used to just say, 'If he were in school, he'd be in X grade.'

When the boys finally entered school, Hobbes went in at the normal age for his grade - although his birthday is late in the year, so he's on the young side. Calvin skipped a year. It was much better to work this out when we were clear how they were developing and learning.

Laura

*I* wouldn't have held back a child whose birthday was in July. An August 30 bday is only two days off from a September 1, so I can see why your mother did it. Nevertheless, those of us with July bdays (mine is the 18th) made it through school just fine. I never, ever felt I was "young" for my grade; in fact, I have been blown away by the number of people who seem to think that even a May bday is "late." :001_huh:

Cut-off here is July 31. In ps here girls with later b-days generally go ahead but the boys are held back, since mine is on the line I kept him back on paper. Although he is on level in everything but Reading(which we are catching up). I'm glad I did as the boys I see in 2nd grade here are at least 6 mo older than him. As he is small as well it helps also if he is anywhere classified by age. All his friends are classified the same age/grade - hs'ers as well.