Menu

New knitter...scarf patterns?

I taught myself to knit recently and I just finished my first project. I made a scarf for my daughter. Not knowing any better I used a purl stitch for the entire thing and had no idea that would cause the sides to curl under. Do any of you know of a good scarf patter that wold be easy enough for a beginner? Any tips are greatly appreciated!!!

Easy pattern is just cast on 17 stitches and then knit the whole thing.

If you use one strand of regular yarn and one strand of eyelash or fun fur yarn held together you get a fun furry scarf. They were hugely poplular a couple of years ago, not sure if they are now.

Lion Brand Yarn website gives you access to free patterns with pictures ( very helpful when beginning) if you just sign up with your email address.

I sometimes make scarves that way--all purl stitches, and on the wide side. Then, and this is key, I let them curl and tie a simple overhand knot close to each end, in the curled position. This looks decorative, and the curl becomes a feature rather than a problem. If I use fairly bulky yarn I end up with a very cozy scarf that way--fluffy mohair is particularly good for this.