Menu

And what are you planning to do for the less fortunate this Christmas season?

We do the Franklin Graham shoeboxes and also raise funds for World Vision. We also try to babysit for a mom that needs it to go Christmas shopping. And our church has several Christmas trees where you can take an ornament and buy the items on it for a family in need or an organization (pregnancy center, etc). In the past we have gone caroling to shut-ins and nursing homes, bringing them homemade cards and goodie bags. One year the young-ish cancer patient (50s) from our church that we caroled to died a couple weeks later-we were so glad we got to be a small part of blessing her final days.

NOTE: I'm very interested for more ideas for this AND also this thread is my preemptive thread for the people on my OTHER what do you want for Christmas thread who invariably pipe in and act like it's selfish to have a Christmas list, etc. :) (Been on these boards over ten yrs...can predict it like clockwork)

My oldest son helps Salvation Army bell ringers at the local grocery store by playing Christmas songs on fiddle, mandolin, banjo, and guitar. His playing and singing brings in much more money!

He and another son always help men from our church in doing maintenance on widows' houses and yards before the Thanksgiving holidays.

Two other sons will be helping at a church activity, working with other children to prepare cards and gifts for the local children's hospital.

My husband cooks and serves Christmas dinner to the homeless in our city with a group from our church. They have a bus that has been converted to a mobile kitchen. They actually do this every week through the fall and winter, but Christmas is a bigger and fancier meal. He'll also be singing and playing guitar at each stop.

I'll be cooking giant pots of bean soup and big pans of cornbread to deliver to the church up the road. They host more homeless men than any other church on our side of the town on Christmas Eve.

My family puts on a Christmas show each year. We perform it at nursing homes, and also for my friend's social group for young adults with disabilities. Our show is a little bigger at that event since we have access to a full stage and lighting and all. We then help the young adults with crafts, games, and snacks.

I will try to get the Christmas Child shoebox done in time. That always sneaks up on me. We also do the Angel Tree thing (for children of prisoners). Our church sponsors both of those ministries. I also try to have a pocketful of change on me, so when I'm out and about I can put a quarter in the Salvation Army kettles!

My husband lost his job a couple of months ago, so I was going to answer "nothing because we can't afford it", but then I saw things like babysitting or caroling and realized that we could do things like that.

:grouphug:

Lots of churches need volunteers to help with their charitable works. Wouldn't cost you a dime. Look at my list: The only thing we're actually spending money on are hambones, dry beans, and a sack of cornbread. Some years I can do that and some years I can't.

I hope your husband finds a terrific job soon.

There is an organization in our city that provides gifts to foster children. We do a few children from there and then choose a gift through one of the organizations that donates farm animals or training to people in the developing world.

Our church also does a hat and mitten drive and we do something for that.

We host a shoe box party and invite friends, family, neighbors to bring at least 10 of one item for the boxes. We get donations of tooth brushes from a local orthodontist. I collect items throughout the year. It's amazing how many boxes we've been able to pack each year just by asking people to bring at least 10 small things. Way more than we'd be able to afford on our own. Last year we sent 67 boxes to Operation Christmas Child.

We Christmas carole with our church at homes of shut-ins and nursing homes. If there are people we know in the hospital, especially the elderly, that would enjoy company, we visit them on Christmas day. We also help deliver Christmas dinners for a local community project that has a area wide Christmas dinner. In the past we've done a secret Santa thing in our neighborhood. That was fun.

I would consider items that are necessary, but not necessarily holiday related. We were gearing up to be the less fortunate this year. Instead we'll be digging out. It's all good.

I would consider that you're going to have people who are acutely poor, as in it's temporary sudden onset, rather than chronically poor. You may have people that really don't need more gifts or holiday cheer (exception being little kids), but they need encouragement and things that will last beyond the adrenaline of the holidays. Honestly, I don't like the holidays on a good year, so when things are bad, good cheer may be hard to find. Remember some of these people may be dealing with situational depression, so if you do something for someone in person make sure your concern is for them, not to get a good stamped on your Santa card. I know that sounds harsh, but some of the people that need help this year may have been helping in previous years. Dh used to love buying for angel tree gifts, not going to happen this year.

People who receive food stamps may not need food, but they may need toiletries. They may need pet food, that extra large package of toilet paper would be good. Theses are things that food stamps can't buy.

I would think about the things you might cross off your grocery list if budget where a real issue. Some examples:

cotton balls

the better toothbrush

mouthwash

pretty lotions and body washes, Walgreens has some good brands that aren't Bath and Body works expensive

AA batteries - because everything takes batteries

shampoo

body wash

conditioner

those bath scrungies

loofahs

hair gel

Kleenax

double bladed razors (disposable) for men and women

Even if you don't know someone who needs these things, talk to your local food pantry. They may accept donations of these type of items.

If you know a homeschooling family in need consider donating copy paper and printer ink. My dad has generously provided ink and paper for us this summer. Free resources are great, but if you print them, well it can eat a lot of ink.

One year I had someone tell me to pick four books from my paperbackswap wish list and she would buy them. We weren't needy then, but she wanted to bless someone. It felt good to get a box from Amazon with new books in it, well doesn't it always.

I think the biggest thing you can do is acknowledge people. Even if you bake some brownies and take them to a neighbor on a paper plate with a nice note, I think it helps.

If you can't afford that, send notes of encouragement. Write them out and mail them. I've still have notes I received years ago.

Be real with people, don't pile on the faux holiday cheer. Give where you are with what you have, and do it for no other reason than to give.

HTH

Be real with people, don't pile on the faux holiday cheer. Give where you are with what you have, and do it for no other reason than to give.

:iagree::iagree:

Everytime I see posts like "What are you doing for the less fortunate for Christmas" I always wonder "and what are you doing for the less fortunate for the rest of the year"?

Eg. Nursing homes have so many people trying to volunteer at Christmas they have to turn some of them away. The rest of the year the elderly hardly get a visit from anyone. It's token giving. The very best gift you can give is to provide for the needy all year long -not just at Christmas.

:001_smile:

I'm not sure I have any ideas other than those you've mentioned. We just filled 6 shoeboxes today.... I know that our first night of hosting "Room at the Inn" this year (homeless sleeping arrangements shared by area churches) in our church is Christmas night. We do the sack lunches for those guys to take with them the next day, as well as contributing to the food for the evening meal.... I'm not sure yet what else we're going to be doing....

Everytime I see posts like "What are you doing for the less fortunate for Christmas" I always wonder "and what are you doing for the less fortunate for the rest of the year"?

We don't give because it's Christmastime-we are like this ALL the time-service is a huge part of our homeschooling.

But, as ElegantLion (:grouphug:) so eloquently stated, it is often during the holiday season that people have the depression of not being able to afford gifts, have holiday depression for various reasons, are sick or hungry during what for others is a happy holiday time, etc-and therefore the holidays is a time to show a LOT of EXTRA support from the rest of us.

So I thought it would be nice if we could share ideas on how to do that. :)

We do Operation Christmas Child, we select some tags from a tree at church and purchase the items and bring them back to church -- we do the same tag select thing for a friend who volunteers at a County Program and has 'adopted' a family that we all buy for at Christmas.

We will buy and deliver bags of dog food to the Rescue Foundation from where we adopted our hound.

Our orthodontist's office does an Angel Tree for elderly shut-ins each year. We will be getting one of those and also doing different activities with each kid's scout troop.

I was reading through this thread and wishing we could do something different, or in addition, to what we normally do.

I sure wish I could find something like this. What a WONDERFUL idea.

:iagree::iagree:

Eg. Nursing homes have so many people trying to volunteer at Christmas they have to turn some of them away. The rest of the year the elderly hardly get a visit from anyone. It's token giving. The very best gift you can give is to provide for the needy all year long -not just at Christmas.

:001_smile:

I would also love the Christmas "spirit" to be a more year-round affair when it comes to charitable giving! However, I must say almost 90% of the funds for the ministry I help run at our parish to provide free prenatal care is raised during the Christmas season. We raise thousands and thousands of dollars and those funds help mothers and children all year round. Let's not get too cynical about those giving extra at Christmas. Many of them are giving with a true intention to help their fellow man.

I generally buy a Thanksgiving dinner or two via the local grocery store. They have the food boxed and I buy a couple of boxes.

I have some less fortunate in my extended family so I send those two elderly ladies something extra.

I give to the Salvation Army bell ringer each time I pass one.

I participate in giving something to my parish's angel tree.

I'll be volunteering with the help-portrait project. Photographers and anyone else who is interested (like me, b/c I'm not a photographer) around the world, have a day set aside where they go into areas of great need and take a free portrait for people. This year it's Dec 10th. The portrait is taken, the print is printed, and the person leaves with a free portrait to have for themselves or to give as a gift.

For the people who get these portraits, it means the world to them. Help-portrait is often the only portrait they'll ever have of their family.

If you're a photographer who is interested in this, you can go to the help-portrait.com website and find a group in your area.

Im really glad you brought this up. I haven't come up with an idea ,yet, this year. Last year we bought a basket, filled it with food items for a family we knew was having a hard time, and put some family games in it. Then we took it and dropped it off at their house on the porch. It was meant to be a gift given without the thought of them knowing which is why we dropped it and ran, well ok we drove but still... lol... It was a great lesson to teach my kids to give part of what they knew I had to spend on them and give it to someone else who needed it. It made them feel great.

Now what to do for this year...

We do several things, but as others have noted, we try to be servants to others throughout the year.

-- We are Christmas Warriors for an orphan with Down syndrome listed on Reece's Rainbow. Click on my blog below to see his picture!

-- Our church helps families w/Thanksgiving dinners, and a group of us goes in on a meal together

-- We do the shoeboxes (just sent ours off)

-- We help get gifts for Angel Tree

I would also love the Christmas "spirit" to be a more year-round affair when it comes to charitable giving! However, I must say almost 90% of the funds for the ministry I help run at our parish to provide free prenatal care is raised during the Christmas season. We raise thousands and thousands of dollars and those funds help mothers and children all year round. Let's not get too cynical about those giving extra at Christmas. Many of them are giving with a true intention to help their fellow man. [/QUOTE]

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Giving is giving. Let's not discourage that!!

Throughout the year I buy toys and games as they're on sale and set them aside to donate to toys for tots. We give to the food bank year round, this time of the year is when they actually need less than usual. We also do "secret santa" for some family members around the country that struggle, shipping gifts for their kids and them.

DS this year is making four shoeboxes for OCC from things he wants to give using his allowance savings (and DH and I are matching his funds to allow him to do more). DS is also excited that he can be a bell ringer for salvation army this year.

We are involved in serving our community throughout the year, but some of the "holiday-related" things we do include:

~donating holiday-related food items to the Emergency Food Pantry

~spending Thanksgiving morning cooking, serving, packaging and delivering Thanksgiving meals to homebound, elderly or low-income people in the community.

~helping with "Operation Share" in which parents are able to come into our church and "shop" (for free) for their children's Christmas presents. All items are donated and organized into rooms. We also offer free wrapping service for their gifts and make them feel welcome with holiday treats and music.

~We collect warm winter items (hats, socks, gloves, scarves, blankets, coats) and bring them to homeless people living in "tent villages."

We buy for three (or more when I get carried away) kids through the Salvation Army or Publix angel trees. We always choose one child of the gender and approximate age of mine, plus one teenage girl in honor of the one I used to be. We try to buy at least three items for each child: one of the practical things on his or her list, one of the frivolous ones and something that will be a surprise.

We also participate in whatever charitable giving our church does. Usually, they choose an organization whose mission aligns with our values and try to fill a wish list. The youth groups are involved in running that. My family usually tries to take care of one or two of the larger items.

We have a policy of never walking past a Salvation Army bell ringer without giving something.

Those are the basics, but we also respond to other requests as we can manage it.

NOTE: I'm very interested for more ideas for this AND also this thread is my preemptive thread for the people on my OTHER what do you want for Christmas thread who invariably pipe in and act like it's selfish to have a Christmas list, etc. :) (Been on these boards over ten yrs...can predict it like clockwork)

I have to say that, while I don't necessarily think it's "selfish" to have a wish list, it's not something I can relate to. I get a lot more joy out of the stuff listed above than I do anything anyone might give to me. In my perfect world, my family would agree with me and we'd just do stocking stuffers and tokens for each other and devote the rest of our budget to more giving. (I did finally get my husband to understand that the thing I'd like best if for him to give away the money he'd otherwise spend on me. For the last few years, my big gift has been a note telling me which local organizations got donations. And I'm a whole lot happier with that!)

I'm sorry you feel picked on, though.

We always do Operation Christmas Child shoeboxes, too. This year we're going to do four. Also, last year I put gifts from World Vision in dh's and ds's stockings (soccer balls and ducks). I will do something like that again.

I forgot, but we do that stuff, too. My daughter is much like me about receiving gifts. So, the last couple of years we've given her stuff that benefits organizations she supports. She's had animals adopted in her name from the World Wildlife Fund and Save the Manatees and has received bundles of merchandise (t-shirt, jacket, tote bag, etc.) from Broadway Impact and the HRC, for example. Also, when I need to give a gift to someone and don't have any specific, personal ideas, I try to buy things from Ten Thousand Villages. They have lovely items and do good things for people all over the world.

Edited by Jenny in Florida

I would also love the Christmas "spirit" to be a more year-round affair when it comes to charitable giving! However, I must say almost 90% of the funds for the ministry I help run at our parish to provide free prenatal care is raised during the Christmas season. We raise thousands and thousands of dollars and those funds help mothers and children all year round. Let's not get too cynical about those giving extra at Christmas. Many of them are giving with a true intention to help their fellow man. [/QUOTE]

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Giving is giving. Let's not discourage that!!

This argument reminds me of number of times I've had people ask me why I care so much about animals instead of people. It's not an either-or thing, folks. It is actually possible to be an ethical vegan AND donate to charities that benefit humans.

Yes, we are more intentional about giving at Christmas for a variety of reasons. As others have said, my heart and my life experience tell me that it is harder emotionally to be in trouble during the holiday season than it is in the middle of May. I also think it's healthy for my kids, in the middle of a season that encourages "the gimmees," to be encouraged to think about others.

And, as someone else mentioned, many charities collect a huge percentage of their operating budget for the year at Christmas. It's not like it goes to waste. My son danced at the local pre-professional ballet school for years, and I know that the company was kept in business in large part by the profits they made each year on their Nutcracker production.

We all do what we can. I don't understand the cynicism.

We all do what we can. I don't understand the cynicism.

I don't either. I'm sure a lot of people here give of themselves during the year. Somehow the cynicism seems to take on a devaluing of giving during Christmas. It's a good thing people give out of the goodness of their hearts, and not to win approval from others!

*Operation Christmas Child

*Extra tipping throughout the season--Starbucks, restaurants, etc. (we went out for breakfast at Cracker Barrel last Christmas Eve and were waited on by a woman who was easily 6 months pregnant--she got a $20 on a $30 bill, but we tip extra for good service everywhere during the Christmas season).

*We pay early cash bonuses (so they can use the cash to buy in time for Christmas) to tutors, the lady who cleans our house every couple of weeks, etc., and we buy small gifts for their kids.

*Charities that we support monthly get an extra amount during December.

*If there are home repairs that we are outsourcing, or local businesses from which we buy regularly (our egg lady, for instance) we go out of our way to hire or shop with them during December because I figure that is a slow time generally for garage door installers, handymen, etc., just when they need it most.

Love this thread, by the way. There are great ideas in here.

Terri

Last time I was in a group that decided to donate xmas gifts to a needy "family", we got a middle-aged couple that was living together but not married. Turned out they were basically indigent drug addicts. Didn't make me feel generous, it made me feel like I was enabling them. I would have felt better if I had taken them to a rehab center.

Now I just look for ways to help people I know. Babysitting, bringing a meal over, making cookies, etc.

We do a service project every month with the kids. For November we will be doing Operation Christmas Child and collecting toys for Brown Santa. For December we are adopting a family.

In September we got items for some homeschooling families in Bastrop (near us) and distributed them.

In October we did a "Treating" at a nursing home.

We try to think of things the kids can help with. Each child gets a month that they choose what our service project will be.

Our children every year go through all their toys and fill up a computer size box. We donate our used toys to the local fire station who then take them into shelters and homes of children without the holiday season.

I make breads, cookies and hot chocolate mixes in a jar for my elderly widowed neighbors.

Our family usually picks 1 or 2 angels from a tree either at our church or local supermarket and donate for those in need.

This year I'd like to put together 1 boy shoebox and 1 girl shoebox and have my kids help with it. This would be really empowering for our family to do.

I also have couponed and gotten some really nice toys for little cost and I will donate to toys for tots.