Menu

Parents of 3-4 kids - a question...

I have four boys ranging in ages from 2 to 9. While I think your sentiment is sweet, PLEASE DON'T send gifts for all! We are already swimming in gifts year round and having to declutter the toys often with four birthdays and one christmas and other assorted holidays.

I already feel badly that my siblings with fewer children have to buy for all of my many children. I'd feel even worse if they were buying even more!

I like for our birthday child to feel special on their day. And I think it is a wonderful lesson for his brothers to focus on making it a special day for him and not expect it to be about them!

I am wondering if I should get something small/inexpensive for the other littles while the birthday child gets a birthday present...

This. We have done this with our own children's birthdays, as well as those of the nieces and nephews. We do not send gifts to extended family, though. They only get gifts if we happen to be around on or near their birthday.

It is so nice for the others to receive a little something, and may well prevent crying and whining from young children who don't understand what it is "fair" for their brother to have a gift on that day and they don't.

Yes it does set a precedent, but so what? It's a fun precedent. Now that our dc are older, we don't do as much for birthdays in general, and so the "non-birthday child" only gets a couple very small items. It's more fun to watch them all open a little something on the occasion.

I have 3, it would not be necessary. My kids are plenty spoiled, trust me! And it does back fire - ask my mum, unfortunately she set a bit of a precedent and I'm trying to train my 4y/o that it's not appropriate to let the first words out of his mouth be 'what did you bring me?' :rolleyes:

The other kids get to have cake too on their siblings birthday, isn't that enough? :tongue_smilie:

I vote only the B-day kid. It gives the kids a chance to have a day that is set aside just for them. My kids have to share every other day of the year and not having to for just one is kind of nice. IMO, if everybody is getting something the feeling gets a bit lost. Another bonus is that the other (non-birthday) kids get to know that not every event is about them either and sometimes another person gets the limelight. It is character building to let someone else enjoy being special without having to be a part of it.

Lesley

As a parent I expect that only my birthday child would receive presents from family so I do talk with my other children who are young, remind them it is her birthday, etc but I also stash something cool for them at the right moment like a treat bag before the birthday child opens presents at a party, etc. However, I must add that my dear sister, when sending a bday gift, always includes a little something for her siblings, like a pez, or dollar section toy, or coloring book & it is so special. We are states apart so have never :( celebrated my children's birthdays with her (so her package comes in the mail which is super special and even more so because there is a little something in there for everyone!) If she could come to a party, she wouldn't feel that other kids would be missing out because she would see that they are fine, having fun, having treats, etc.

I agree with birthday kid only. This is partly because the volume of toys already received is overwhelming. For example, in my family, take 3 kids * 2 (birthday and Christmas) * 10 (typical number of gifts per child per occasion throughout the extended family) = at least 60 new toys per year. Add more if we have a birthday party with friends. Don't get me wrong, we are blessed and I appreciate everyone's generosity. However, I have toys overflowing everywhere.

I think kids of any age can learn that sometimes someone else gets something when they don't.

Right on. My dd17 was shocked the other day when we were at Target and I picked up a cute t-shirt for dd9 that was on clearance but wasn't going to get something for ds8. I knew dd would love it and the price was right, and I didn't see any reason to balance things by buying something, anything for ds just because dd was getting something. Dd17 said, "That's not fair for ds8." I looked at her and said, "If you still think life is about being fair, you have a lot to learn." I always tell my kids, "Sometimes you get something; sometimes it's your sibling's turn. That's life." They don't necessarily love it, but they don't expect to get stuff just for the sake of "fairness," either. On the rare occasions they whine about fairness, I tell them that next time they will get the exact same item without regard to personality, interest, or desire. That shuts them up right quick!

In the end, they had pajama pants on clearance and ds needed a pair, so he got something, too. :001_smile:

Tara

I think that either option is valid. My boys adore my mom who always gets all three of my boys something on each birthday. She remembers fondly HER aunt who began this tradition when my mom was a little girl.

I think that if you want to do that, you should be prepared to start a tradition. But in my mind, it is a good tradition. :)

:iagree:

It looks like many people are saying "birthday kid only" ~ but I think the important thing here is what YOU and YOUR family like to do. If you want to be the aunt who sends three gifts, then be the aunt who sends three gifts. :)