Menu

Need LA and Writing advice for my 6th grader

ThriceBlessed

Hello Everyone,

I am in a quandry with the 6th grade ds. He has used FLL 1-4 and WWE 1-2 then we used CLE LA last year with mixed results. We are in a co-op situation with another family for Classical Conversations.... she is using Shirley Grammar. During the summer this seemed "ok" with me, and since she would be "teaching" the Grammar/Writing portion of our co-op... I switched to Shirley 6 and IEW.

I also have a 4th grade dd and a Kinder dd to give you an idea of workload.

*I* am NOT a grammar person. Grammar and Writing were the BANE of my schooling existence.

I am having alot of difficulty getting to Shurley and IEW with my 4th and 6th graders...part of it ..honestly..is I don't like the flow of Shurley and my kids *fight* me on it. They do NOT like writing. I use the white board to go over the lesson... I get the blank looks..the whining (which I DO deal with), and by the time we are done... *I* am having to (practically) write the paper for them. Because I won't do that, the lesson time takes at least an hour.

I have always liked SWB's style and my ds has done well with her curricula.

Should I try continuing with Shirley? Should I move on the SWB's new Grammar?

Is it NORMAL for a Shirley lesson and an IEW lesson to take an hour each?

My ds has some AP issues so I understand that I need to "teach" the lessons... but I am also trying to get my K dd going as well.

I realize there is alot of babbling...and run on sentences...so please feel free to ask away.

Blessings,

If it is that painful, STOP! If it were me, I would go with SWB's new Writing program. The Logic board has a huge pinned thread about it including where to go for the free first 9 or so weeks. Her next stage grammar is on hold. I would look at Growing With Grammar 5 or 6.

You might also check out Junior Analytical Grammar. We didn't do JAG, but are currently doing Analytical Grammar. It's very independent and seems to be less painful to my kids. Between AG and Latin, they have a good grasp on grammar. I only make them do 1/2 the problems in AG if they get them right they can move on.

We're also using WWS, and it is independent and going well. It's broken down into very manageable bits.

Laura

i have a 4th and 6th grader, too. we also use shurley (4 & 7) and IEW. we just don't do the lesson 5 in Shurley. Sometimes IEW does take an hour, but I'm actually not really thrilled with it. i do love shurley and now my kids can classify and identify parts of speach like a pro. the shurley takes 5 minutes, sometimes 20 if they dawdle.

I'm not sure I would like ANY writing program. I am thinking i need to outsource soon. ugh.

robin

i have a 4th and 6th grader, too. we also use shurley (4 & 7) and IEW. we just don't do the lesson 5 in Shurley. Sometimes IEW does take an hour, but I'm actually not really thrilled with it. i do love shurley and now my kids can classify and identify parts of speach like a pro. the shurley takes 5 minutes, sometimes 20 if they dawdle.

robin

Can you *please* share how you get through a shurley lesson in 5 MINUTES :w00t:

I must be doing something wrong.

And I am seriously considering ditching the IEW for WWS.

If you don't mind Christian programs, have you checked out Meaningful Composition? It looks a lot less teacher-intensive than IEW, which sounds like half your problem. It does incorporate ideas, such as KWO, from IEW, as well as some other ideas from Writing for 100 Days and Understanding Writing. It still may be a little challenging for your children--check out the free samples to see what you think.

Of course, if your children are absolutely bursting with ideas to write about and don't want to be constrained to the guided approach that MC uses, this program probably won't work for you, just as really artistic kids are a bad fit for "how to draw" books. However, that doesn't sound like it's your problem.

If you don't mind Christian programs, have you checked out Meaningful Composition? It looks a lot less teacher-intensive than IEW, which sounds like half your problem. It does incorporate ideas, such as KWO, from IEW, as well as some other ideas from Writing for 100 Days and Understanding Writing. It still may be a little challenging for your children--check out the free samples to see what you think.

Thank you for link. I have never heard of Meaningful Composition and it looks very interesting. I am off to look at more samples. Thanks again!

• 1 month later...