Menu

Can you plz explain to me what math tutors actually do?

HappyGrace

Trying to decide if a math tutor would help us! Do they assign work to the dc, and then go over it? Do they just answer any questions the dc has?

What I'm hoping for is someone to assess where dd11 is, exactly what her problems are, and then help to shore up her problem areas before getting into higher math. Is there a certain *type* of math tutor I should look for to do this? And what do I look for in selecting a tutor (what questions do I ask, etc)?

And how would they do this in just an hour a week? (We prbly could only afford one once a week.)

I assume we would just continue to work through our regular curriculum? Or do they suggest one, or supplement what we're doing, or what?

Thanks!

(xpost)

I tutor math and I do exactly what you would want your tutor to do. But there are many that are more like homework tutors. The best thing to do is to ask prospective tutors and get one that fits the needs that you have.

Depending on how big the gaps are in a student's learning I can generally get away with about 1 hour per week in math. My suggestion would be to find out what would be easiest. In some circumstances it is easier to have the parent support the tutor (if you have a good tutor). More often than not, I'm working on remediating skills and the school just continues to blast forward through their program without having any clue that the student is not understanding.

Talk to tutors, ask questions and only select one that will do what you need done. Also, if the tutor has suggestions, and they seem reasonable, take a listen and see if you can support that person.

Have you looked at that ALEKS online program? That has an artificial intelligence system evaluate where your child has mastery & needs assistance and then gears all learning towards filling in the gaps. I plan to start it as a supplement in 3rd grade next year, and my friend uses it for her dd in 6th.

The one we use knows that she's leading the study of algebra for my son.

She decides on the topics she will cover for the year and provides us with a list at the beginning of the year.

She goes over a lesson with him and they work problems together in class. She assigns enough work for him to do in, generally, two one-hour sessions later in the week (and we do other reinforcement and drill work at home). I could ask her to assign more, but I'm happy with things as they are.

She periodically assigns a quiz or test for him to bring home and she also regularly sends home worksheets that she uses to reinforce the topics in addition to the assignments out of the book.

The next week, she goes over some of his homework with him, in particular items he had difficulty in completing. She will also grade his quizzes and tests, then return those the following week and go over any problems he had with those....

I used to tutor high school kids when I was in college. Most of them are behind in school so the request from the parents were basically bring the kids back on track.

I usually go through the textbook with the kids and review their homework and test from school and prepare them for test