Menu

$25 per week menu & grocery list challenge...

A young man (same age as ER) in our church has recently moved out on his own, and he has asked me for help with planning a menu and making a shopping list. He will only have about $25 per week to spend for groceries.

He does physical labor, so he does have a big appetite (and needs a lot of protein). Fortunately, he is not a picky eater. He has never cooked, but is willing to learn, and for now, he needs really, really easy recipes (3 or 4 ingredients to stir together and dump into a crockpot or baking dish). He does have a stove and an oven, and also a crockpot and a microwave. For breakfast, he eats hot cereal (oatmeal) with milk or grits with cheese, or he has toast with cheese or peanut butter. He usually has sandwiches for lunch (peanut butter, turkey or ham, tuna, hot dogs). He would like something substantial (meat + starch + vegetable) for supper, and is particularly interested in learning to make chili and pot roast. He says he would like to cook only 2-3 dinners per week, and heat up leftovers on the evenings in between.

I thought this might be just the kind of challenge the Hive might enjoy. So, fire away!

ETA: Suggestions are good, but if you can, please provide an actual one-week menu and a shopping list (assume there is NOTHING in the house except salt & pepper, because that would pretty much sum it up ;)).

Edited by ereks mom

My first suggestion is lose the cereal. It costs a fortune.

That was what I was going to say too. And the turkey lunch meat.

If he's eating meat, I'd buy a few whole chickens and roast those. You can get a few good meals out of one.

Learning to cook lentils and beans would save a lot of money, and they heat up so well.

There is a decent chili recipe on the back of the McCormick chili seasoning packet. It only calls for four or five ingredients and serves four. Add a can of drained kidney beans if they aren't called for in the recipe -- I can't recall. Serve over spaghetti or cooked elbows to stretch the meal. One recipe would serve him for at least two meals and he could easily double it.

Spaghetti, tacos, burritos are all easy and wold last for a few meals.

Do you have an Aldi around? That would be a big help I think. Their vegetables are the best prices around.

Eggs and pancakes are cheap and easy.

Casseroles with pasta or just pasta, very cheap.

Stay away from all drinks that cost $$.....although milk may be necessary. If he has to have a sugar drink, Koolaid is far cheaper than soda.

Grilled Cheese sandwiches

Pot roast cooked all day in the crockpot with plenty of potatoes and carrots will feed him for several meals.

And maybe you could make him a large bucket of homemade laundry soap with a recipe attached.

Dawn

My dh's friend lived on tuna + mac & chz (and I would add in some froz vegetables) for one-dish dinners as a bachelor. Most bachelors are wanting VERY fast food prep.

We spend $25 per person per week (fam of 7) on food here . . . but we shop at Aldi and only eat small amounts of CHEAP meat (ground turkey, chix).

Maybe he can plan to eat a few suppers at your house to stretch his budget a bit more! Ha. Or maybe he can come over to your house and help you cook. Win-win.

But I can promise you that his future wife will absolutely LOVE you if you teach him how to cook and shop thriftily. :001_smile:

P.S. Some basic skills to learn: cooking rice, ramen noodles, hamburger meat, and maybe making taco filling or soup. This sounds like a great challenge, and a good way to develop a friendship between your family and this new friend.

Edited by Beth S

Our cheap meals that dh (also in physical labor) enjoys.

Chili Mac - put chili on spaghetti noodles

Lasagna - buy a square pan, should last a few meals.

BBQ Chicken Tacos - bake chicken breast, cut up after baking and warm in pot with BBQ sauce. Serve on flour tortilla wraps with rice

Potatoes and onions - Slice a few potatoes, add onions (my boys sometimes add chopped ham), cook until potatoes are done.

Easy baked potatoes (can combine with sweet potatoes) - Cut potatoes and boil for 10 min. Put potatoes in baking dish with olive oil and some seasoning salt, bake for 30 minutes. These keep well as leftovers.

Oatmeal and/or grits - easy breakfast

I would buy:

a small bag of potatoes

spaghetti noodles

lasagna noodles

spaghetti sauce

shredded mozz cheese

ricotta cheese

turkey breast or ham, frozen chicken breasts (maybe rotate one a week)

I would also add a comfort food a week: Pizza, soup, something that he enjoys and could be prepared without too much work. I know there are many days my dh wouldn't feel like cooking.

Oatmeal for breakfast with milk and an orange - very filling

Peanut butter and jelly on wheat bread, banana, thermos of veggie/chili made ahead of time

chili, beans and brown rice, whole wheat noodles, eggs make can make a nice and quick dinner

This is so hard to think of prices in terms of just one person. He will learn to love leftovers or learn how to properly freeze leftovers.

beans and rice with sausage and okra. Sausage could also be fixed for his lunch and breakfast. Set part of the beans aside for chili and jiffy mix cornbread. Save part of the hamburger from chili for spaghetti. Get seasoning, noodles and sauce at a dollar store (like dollar general), it'll probably be cheaper. If there are bread stores, like a wonder bread thrift store, check there for his bread, cereals, crackers, and snacks. Check dented can stores for cheap veggies and other items.

I would give him some guidelines on what things "should" cost...like pay no more than $2 a pound for ground beef and chicken breast, turkey goes on sale for $.39 a pound in November...get a few and freeze, etc...

Don't buy lunch meat--way expensive!

Maybe help him with a weekly grocery list of staples:

oatmeal

hot cereal

bread

rice

pasta (macaroni, spaghetti)

beans/lentils

milk (you can get whole milk and actually add water to stretch, many people think this is healthier than skim)

eggs

-----------

I think all of the above could be as low as $13, depending on where you are and where you shop, (and some things would last more than a week) so you'd have at least $10 left for meat and fruits/vegies.

Meats (chicken, turkey, gr. beef, round steak, pork loin, and sometimes roasts all go on sale for under $2 per pound at times)

cheese (limit quantities)

fruits/vegetables/salad items: go to Aldi or look for loss leaders in ads each week, stock up on one item that is reasonably priced

I might make suggestions about going to the orchard for apples in the fall, then freezing gallon bags of cinnamon apples--these can be eaten plain or in a pie or crisp. They keep well raw, too. Oranges will be cheaper during the holidays and January. Bananas are always low cost.

During medical school, my DH practically lived on a one-pot meal he christened "Glop #1".

Boil a box of mac N cheese as directed during the last couple of minutes, pour in a cup of frozen peas. Drain.

Sprinkle on the powdered cheese, add a dollop of margarine, stir. Open a can of tuna fish, drain, stir in.

For extra protein, add a 1/2 cup of cottage cheese.

Yes, it's pathetic and exactly the sort of thing Michael Pollan would recoil from. But it's cheap, it's fairly healthy, it couldn't be easier, and after a long day of hard work I can attest that it tastes GREAT.

Its alternate name is your shopping list: MacaroniandCheeseTunaPeasCottageCheese. :lol:

Can't help with a menu but have some ideas you could share with him.

Vegetable beef soup

1 lb hamburger (or less), browned and drained

1 small can tomato sauce

1 bag frozen veggies for soup

1/2 cabbage chopped

1 can kidney beans

salt and pepper

Cover with water, cook until veggies are tender. Will last for days in the fridge and is hearty and delicious.

He can cook the rest of the cabbage with some butter, salt and pepper for a side another night.

I'd also suggest chili. It freezes well so it would be great to make once or twice a month and then freeze extra portions. I make chili from scratch but he could just use one of those seasoning packets with the recipe if that's easier. Chili over rice is a great way to stretch the $.

In my family we also make something called Granddad's Chili which is super easy. Brown a pound of hamburger (or less to save money!), add onion if wanted, then add one regular can of tomato sauce, plus 3 or 4 cups of water (maybe more, I eyeball it) and 1/2 lb of dry spaghetti. Add chili powder, salt and pepper. Cook until pasta is done.

Soup beans (pinto bean soup) is another cheap idea.

Apples and milk at Aldi are well priced. Do you have an Aldi store nearby?

He could also look into freezer cooking. Usually very easy and you can cook once and eat many times later. He could also look at a list of items that freeze well so he can buy on sale (or manager markdown - even better), freeze and eat later.

Do y'all have ethnic markets near you? I find lots of my staples at local ethnic stores for much cheaper than my Kroger.

Bulk bins - I load up on steel cut oats, bulgar, rice, dried beans, spices, etc. Usually the cheapest way to get these items.

Does he have a crock pot? Our local SA has them all the time for about 5 bucks. Great for leftover soup, cheap roasts, etc.

Actual menu:

Breakfasts - oatmeal, grits or any other hot cereal. Mix in dried berries or raisin to hot cereal or oatmeal.

Lunches - This one is tough. Does he have access to a fridge or microwave at work? This would make a huge difference. Otherwise, you are more limited. Soups in a thermos, sandwiches made with a ham bought on sale and sliced, or pb and js.

Dinner - Pasta with canned Italian seasoned tomatoes on top. If on sale, throw in some ground beef.

Ground beef stirfry - bag of frozen stir fry veggies (about a buck here), lots o' rice and some of the beef from last night. Soy sauce would make it way tastier.

White bean soup - throw leftover veggies (or another bag) into crockpot with water or another can of tomatoes. Add some soaked white beans. Serve over leftover rice.

Chili mac

Black bean soup. Back beans, canned tomatoes (chili flavored), canned broth or water and bouillon. Throw in crockpot with ham bone leftover from ham made for lunch.

These are not the most exciting recipes but they ought to keep him well under 25 bucks the first week so he can afford some bulk items, seasonings, etc.

Edited by MSNative

Another thing he might consider is if there are any fruits trees in his area. We have a pear tree and it produced so many pears we can't deal with them all. We've had several people stop and ask if they can pick some, most are older folks, but we haven't turned anyone away. They're just about gone now.

Some cheap ingredients for a variety of easy quick home made recipes:

Pasta - make a large amount once a week to use in different recipes

Rice

ground beef or turkey

boneless chicken (make ahead from a whole chicken & freeze) or buy a package of frozen breasts...one bag would go along way for one person)

ground pork ( we like sweet Italian for spaghetti)

tuna

beans

eggs

potatoes

onion

Always have on hand:

beef & chicken bullion

basic dried herbs and spices

seasonings like Worcestershire, soy sauce etc...

Things that I would not buy on $25.00 a week - if it were me

*convenience food

*hot dogs

*cold cereal

*soda of any kind, including koolaid

*lunch meat

*junk food

I think an easy mistake to make on such a limited budget is to buy what seems cheap, white bread, box mixes, etc. problem is, those things don't stick with a body, and you end up hungry again much sooner, there by negating the cost savings. Eat better less often to not only save money but your health.

If it's possible, I would consider giving the boy a "staple food" shower to start him off. My husbands cousin gave us a great wedding present 28 years ago when we were starting off with next to nothing. While we were on our honeymoon, he covered our kitchen counter and table with all kinds of basic cooking staples - flour, sugar, potatoes, pasta, etc..it even included the ingredients for chocolate chip cookies.

At $25 per week, I think he is going to have to let go of the meat+starch+veggie dream, lol. For every night, anyway. And he won't manage $25 for the first couple of weeks starting with a bare pantry, unless he eats pretty much lentils and oatmeal. I wouldn't attempt it, unless he absolutely HAS to, b/c he will be forced into over-paying for small amount of condiments, spices, etc. every week.

That method means a lot of meat gets eaten per meal. Instead of "meat on a plate," he needs to incorporate the meat into a dish where it is more spread out. For example: ground beef or sausage in spaghetti, sausage or other meat chopped small and put into a pot of beans. Chili can be a pretty good choice if there are more beans than meat (many more). Eating it over pasta or with cornbread will help stretch it.

Essentially, he needs to look at meat as more of a side dish and flavor enhancer, rather than 1/3 or more of the meal. In addition to specific recipes, it helps to remember that any meat can be easily incorporated into pasta or tortillas/wraps. Pasta can be as simple as noodles-olive oil-chopped meat-seasonings. Wraps are uber simple: wrap and leftover anything. When dh and I were poor and childless, I saved even the tiniest amounts of leftover meat in the freezer. Eventually, you have enough for wraps :D

Specific meal lists really are not as helpful as tips, b/c the items that can be found on the cheap vary by area.

Hmm, what else? It's cheaper to make sandwiches with cooked meat rather than deli meat, and this fits in great with his plan to cook a lot 2-3 times week. A crockpot is very helpful, and so is a meat slicer (maybe they can be on his Christmas list).

Just how hard it's going to be is going to depend on local costs. I'm guessing he will not have a big freezer for extra cuts of sale meat, and honestly, I haven't seen some of the prices referenced in this thread in a decade!! *envious*

Cheap Chili:

1 lb ground beef (cheap kind, not lean kind) $2-$3

2 cans diced tomatoes $1.50

2 cans beans (pinto, black, or red kidney) $1.50

lots of chili powder, cumin, garlic $.25

$5.25-$6.25 for 2-4 meals (about 500 cal/4 meals, 1000 cal/2 meals)

Could add a box of Jiffy cornbread to make cornbread and stretch it.

Brown beef in pot. Pour in tomatoes. Drain and rinse beans, then add. Add spices plus salt and pepper. Cook as long as you have time or put in crock pot on low to simmer while you're gone.

If it's possible, I would consider giving the boy a "staple food" shower to start him off.

Great idea

I have a friend with almost no income -she feeds 6 kids on basically staples from her cupboard

She has a website with ideas and recipies as well as tips on how to get food when you have no money.

http://theprudenthomemaker.com/default.aspx

Instead of "meat on a plate," he needs to incorporate the meat into a dish where it is more spread out. For example: ground beef or sausage in spaghetti, sausage or other meat chopped small and put into a pot of beans. Chili can be a pretty good choice if there are more beans than meat (many more). Eating it over pasta or with cornbread will help stretch it.

Chili is also very good over baked potatoes, which are cheap and filling. We can buy a 50lb bag right now for $14.

My dh spent $40/week on groceries in college and that was 20 years ago. he ate mostly the same thing every day.

Breakfast: oatmeal or eggs with banana and orange juice

Lunch: sandwich with carrots and celery sticks and an apple

Dinner: can or tuna or chicken with ramen, rice or pasta and a can of vegetables

Snacks were things like peanut butter and apple.

After we had been dating I taught him to make a few other things like tacos, pasta salad and spaghetti with meat sauce. He added those in once or twice a week at some point.

When dss was living alone and attending firefighter school, he used his crock pot often. Now, he already knew how to cook, but a crock pot can help inexperienced cooks too. He made a lot of beef stew, beef and cabbage soup, and various bean soups (with or without added meat). When he could get a roast (pork or beef) on sale, he'd put it in the crock pot, shred it when it was cooked, and would get several meals out of it. Since your young friend has a crock pot, I'd recommend he make use of it. The good thing is, if he's a meat lover he can get cheaper cuts and they'll come out nice and tender in the crock pot.

While the meals they listed are low cost, it's from 2008. I think one could still eat those meals cheaply, but maybe not as cheaply as 3 years ago.

My DH is also in a more physical labor field, and he also wants filling protein-centered meals without cooking much. Before I moved in that was pretty hard for him, especially with a small budget! My suggestions would center on eggs, beans, and super sale ground beef or chicken.

Two fried eggs and four pieces of toasted bread make two egg sandwiches. Cheap, easy once he learns to cook an egg, and pretty fast. Add a slice of cheese if the budget allows for it. Grab a banana for a cheap piece of fruit.

Tortillas are also cheap, at least around here. If they are too expensive, serve this over rice instead. Cook pinto beans (good instructions here) in the crockpot. When you get home, brown some ground beef bought on sale (I find 1 lb beef to 1/2 lb of dried beans is a good ratio for men on a tight budget, I use more meat now but it was just as good with that amount), and mix in some taco seasoning and the amount of water called for. Add the cooked (drained if necessary) beans into the pan. Mash everything together, not to a pulp, but until the meat and beans are mixed well. This is taco filling and leftovers can be frozen or stored. Chop some tomato and maybe some lettuce, and make yourself a taco or put it over rice. Or mix the filling with the cooked rice, shredded cheese, and chopped tomatoes, wrap it in tortillas, and freeze yourself some burritos that can be microwaved. Wrap them in foil (remove foil before microwaving) and store in a Ziploc bag. They're great quick lunches and dinners. We also like to make quesadillas out of these ingredients. Just cover half a tortilla, sprinkle with cheese, fold over and heat. If chicken is on sale lower than ground beef, cooked and shredded chicken is a good substitute for the beef.

A great dinner option is red beans and rice. Cook your dried kidney beans in the crockpot. I add twice as much water as beans, so measure them as you add them to figure out the amount of water you need. Add chopped bell pepper, onion, celery, and some seasonings. Just salt and pepper is perfectly edible if not exciting ... seasoned salt and garlic powder are good if you have them. When you get home take a bowlful of the beans out and mash them. Stir them back in to thicken the "sauce". Slice half a package (or a whole package, depending on how much beans you have) of smoked sausage and add it. Then cook your rice. The bean/sausage portion freezes very well.

And here's one DH still makes for himself. Boil water to cook packaged ramen noodles. When you add the noodles and the seasoning, also throw in a handful of chopped chicken and a handful of a frozen vegetable. He likes green beans but broccoli or something would be good too. Stir in a couple shots of soy sauce before eating.

It would be wonderful if your church could provide him a beginning pantry of items. It's expensive if you don't have spices, cooking oils, etc. Is his family not going to help? You said he's moving out on his own. As much as fresh is better, in his case canned vegetables will be cheaper most likely. Remind him to buy in season produce only!

Ann

It would be wonderful if your church could provide him a beginning pantry of items. It's expensive if you don't have spices, cooking oils, etc. Is his family not going to help? You said he's moving out on his own. As much as fresh is better, in his case canned vegetables will be cheaper most likely. Remind him to buy in season produce only!

Ann

Yes, we've been talking about surprising him with a "shower" and giving him pantry items and also basic household items that he doesn't have yet: towels, washcloths, sheets. He gets no help at all from his family (parents are divorced, both are alcoholics and barely get by). This young man is one of the hardest-working, eager to help others, eager to learn young men I've ever met. He works at a large grocery story and gets a 10% discount, so that will help him be able to afford a little more.

Just wondering -- is he up for bartering? Maybe he could help folks at church with labor in exchange for a meal or two?

Yes, he does that already. A big group of us goes out to a nearby Mexican restaurant for lunch after church each Sunday, and since he likes to go but doesn't have the money to eat out, he asked dh if he could take out the trash and tidy up around dh's office each week in exchange for a $6 meal for Sunday lunch each week. Dh readily agreed. :) We also have him over to our house a couple of times a week. He helps dh with yard work and I fix lunch or supper and invite him to eat with us.

Ann

We used to call this a "pounding" when we did them at the church where I grew up. Folks would bring pantry staples like canned goods, spices, oils, coffee, tea, sugar, flour, etc. I think now it's referred to as a "pantry shower" if the couple is getting married, but could as easily be a "housewarming." Maybe you could ask for easy recipes to go with the items and compile a cookbook with ideas. If a pounding isn't feasible, how about gift cards to local grocery stores?

How much storage space will he have? How about freezer space? Also, it would be good to give him some basic reusable food storage containers for those leftovers. How does he pack his lunch? Is he using plastic wrap or something reusable?

One cheap and easy meal idea from a friend: chop an onion and brown with ground beef, add in green peas, corn and soy sauce, serve over rice. The veggies can be canned or frozen. If he likes cookies, making icebox slice and bake cookies will be cheaper and better, maybe slice them in advance to freeze and pop in the toaster oven if he has one.

To increase bulk, nutrition and stretch meals, I often add things like drained canned tomatoes and chopped frozen spinach to dishes. For burritos, we did the taco meat in seasoning, added in chopped onion, drained diced tomatoes, frozen spinach and refried beans so that it was only half meat and lasted a lot longer.

Help him find a bread outlet. I can get three loaves of whole wheat name brand sliced sandwich bread for $2.79 at our Flowers outlet as well as things like whole wheat English muffins, bagels, buns for hotdogs/hamburgers (at similar prices). They have a sale table with items for 69 cents. I go periodically and buy several loaves to freeze. If he's doing a lot of sandwiches for lunch, this will really help him stretch his budget, as well as being healthier, tastier and more filling than cheap white bread from the grocery store. The cheapest place I've found minced garlic is at the dollar store.

Potatoes can almost always be the basis of a pretty cheap meal. We had potato leek soup tonight, and that could easily be done wityh onions instead. I sometimes add some grated cheese to up the protein content.

Or I sometimes make a kind of casserole with mashed potatoes and cooked cabbage. Put them in the oven in a glass dish, and make four holes in the potatoes. Crack an egg into each one, dot some butter or olive oil (or margarine) and bake with salt and pepper till the eggs are set. Eat it with some steamed carrots or mixed frozen veg.

Honestly, if he is that broke, could he go to a soup kitchen at least some nights?

The only soup kitchen around here (small town) just closed--they lost their lease. But it was only open for one meal one day per week. There used to be a couple of churches in the area doing Angel Food Ministries, but no one's doing it any more. I think there is one church nearby that has a food pantry. I'll get him to check into that. Also, our church is planning a surprise "pantry shower" for him.

Do you have an Aldi around? That would be a big help I think. Their vegetables are the best prices around.

Eggs and pancakes are cheap and easy.

Casseroles with pasta or just pasta, very cheap.

Stay away from all drinks that cost $$.....although milk may be necessary. If he has to have a sugar drink, Koolaid is far cheaper than soda.

Grilled Cheese sandwiches

Pot roast cooked all day in the crockpot with plenty of potatoes and carrots will feed him for several meals.

And maybe you could make him a large bucket of homemade laundry soap with a recipe attached.

Dawn

There's an Aldi about an hour's drive from here. It opened recently, but I haven't been there. I know NOTHING about Aldi, as this is the only one I've ever seen.

1 Rotisserie chicken-$5

1 pound bag of brown rice-$1

1 box pasta-$1

1 sweet potato-$.75

1 pound ground beef-$2.50

1 head lettuce-$1

1 bottle canola oil-$1

1 bottle vinegar-$1

1 bag frozen broccoli-$1

1 large can chili beans-$1.50

1 bag lentils-$1

1 pound carrots-$1

1 dozen eggs-$2

1 small bottle soy sauce-$1

1 packet chili seasoning-$.50

1 canister old fashioned oatmeal-$2

1/2 gallon whole milk-$2

1 can condensed soup-$.50

1 bag frozen peas-$1

I believe that adds up to $26.75

Everyday for breakfast he would eat either a big bowl of oatmeal or scrambled eggs. Cup of milk, if he needs to stretch it, he can add water. If he isn't a milk drinker, he can exchange the milk for water and use the $2 for a loaf of bread to make toast.

Everyday for lunch, he would eat the leftovers from the night before.

Dinners-

Make the whole bag of rice at once, that should yield about 2 1/2 cups of cooked rice.

Strip the chicken and divide into three equal portions. Make broth from the bones.

Cook up the ground meat, divide into two equal parts.

1st dinner-chicken breast, baked sweet potato

2nd dinner-chili and side of salad

3rd dinner-Chicken noodle soup. Use some of the chicken, peas, carrots, noodles, the stock made from chicken bones. Side of salad.

4th dinner-pasta tossed with oil, salt and garlic. Alternately he could get a cheap jar of marinara for about $1. Side of salad.

5th dinner-chicken and rice casserole, using can of condensed soup and broccoli.

6th dinner-beef and veggie soup. Use lentils, carrots, peas, leftover rice, and beef.

7th dinner-stir fry with 2 eggs, 1 cup of rice, half the bag of broccoli, and some carrots sliced thinly.

Edited by Gentlemommy

Love all the ideas so far. I think what would be terrific is a combination of helping him learn to get by and blessing him out of your own abundance.

Our Bible study (six families, every Friday night) always has a potluck dinner based on a theme (Italian one week, comfort food the next, and one week we had "things starting with S"). Start a study like that with a few other families and include this young man. Tell him, "Oh, we don't ask singles to bring the dinners, just the families." He'll get a good hearty meal and you can pack the leftovers for him ("Oh, just keep the plastic container it's in..."). If you have enough families in the study (say four or five) they can all take turns preparing him a take-home meal that he can eat the evening after the study such as a frozen meal that will defrost in the refrigerator and be ready when he gets home that next night. So, one family would always do the first week of the month, another family, the second one of the month.

I'd encourage people in the church to call him for work around the house or business that needs doing. And, encourage them to "invite him for dinner too" so he can eat a good meal and also have an opportunity to be around healthy, intact families. There's just something about being around the dinner table.

I think the idea of a staple shower is a great idea but before you do that, ask around for people to check their pantries for extra spices, mixes, noodles, dry milk (can be added to all sorts of things to up the protein), pots, pans, glasses, flatware, dishes, etc. For whatever reason, I have two fresh oregano jars in my cupboard -- I'd happily give him one. Then, after you amass freebies, have the shower and buy him practical things to get him by.

I also think that a food kitchen is not a bad idea. He could meet people there too! And, a food pantry could give him a few cans of things.

In addition to cheap food from Aldi's and such, consider food program like Share (different states have different programs: http://www.sharewi.org/). They are programs where you pre-order a box of food and pay for it up front and then on delivery day, you go pick it up and order the next month's food. Oh no, I just read online that Angel Food (a very similar program) had to shut down... Maybe your area has a food program like this. Anyone, regardless of income, can participate. When we participated a few years ago, the food was really decent. They had shelf-stable food (cans, "helper" style mixes, taco mix, pasta, rice) as well as cold food (a pound of beef, some sausage, some lunch meat) and convenience foods (maybe frozen waffles or canned stew or frozen pizza). Often the brands were lesser known ones but they were decent and not expired.

Keep us posted.

25 things he can buy for a dollar or less:

1 head of cabbage

1 bag of carrots

2 onions

1 bag of dry beans

1 bag of dry lentils

2 cans of tuna

1 bag of white rice

1 bag of frozen green beans

1 bag of frozen broccoli

1 bag of frozen corn

1 dozen eggs

1 loaf of bread

1 small tub or margarine

1 pound chicken legs

1/2 ground beef

1 can of tomato sauce

1 pound of pasta

2 yogurt cups

1 small head of lettuce

1-2 apples

3-4 bananas

1 bottle of salad dressing

1 bottle of ketchup

1 box of salt

1 can of pepper

Lunch = leftovers from dinner

Breakfast = eggs and toast to alternate with the hot cereal left over from last week.

Dinner:

Day 1 Lentils and rice - use bag of lentils, water, a bit of chopped onion, one chopped carrot, salt and pepper. Make rice from one cup of rice and 2 cups of water. Lentils can go in the crock pot, rice can be cooked in 20 minutes after getting home. cook half a bag of green beans to serve on the side. Save left overs

Day 2 Roast chicken with rice and broccoli - roast chicken on low in crock pot season with salt and pepper. Cook broccoli on stove top when ready for dinner. Heat up left over rice. Save left over chicken

Day 3 Leftover soup - Use all leftovers (chicken, lentils, broccoli, any rice), a bit of onion, a chopped carrot and a bit of cabbage

Day 4 Tuna and pasta - use one can of tuna, some chopped onion, margarine over half a box of cooked pasta. 1/4 bag of green beans will add nicely to this.

Day 5 Cabbage soup - chop half of the cabbage. Brown ground beef with onion, add cabbage and frozen corn and 3-4 cups of water. Salt and pepper to taste. You can add some rice to this also. You can add a handful of green beans too

Day 6 Beans and rice with cabbage. Cook beans in crock pot during the day. Cook rice when home. Saute the rest of the cabbage. Salt and pepper everything to taste.

Day 7 Tuna over lettuce serve with salad dressing and baked potato on the side.

Snacks and/or dessert = apples, bananas, yogurt cup

I don't know that I'd prepare these meals in the order listed. He will risk the lettuce going limp if he waits until day 7.

Edited by Parrothead

You said he's working in a field that involves physical labor -- are you sure they aren't underpaying him? Minimum wage is around $7.25 in the SE and if he's working full time, after taxes that would probably be around $275 per week. That's a little over $1,000 per month. So even if his rent, utilities and various bills took up two-thirds of his pay, that'd be $725 and he'd have $275 left over. That should be almost $70 per week for food.

Many jobs start paying at above minimum wage, so he might want to consider trying to find one that does (fast food jobs, waiting tables, etc.).

It sounds like either his employer is not paying him minimum wage or he needs re-prioritize his bills (moving to a smaller place, downgrading his car, getting rid of cable TV, etc.). Or he's only working part time, in which case he should try to find one of the jobs I mentioned above for longer hours.

I know that saying, "Something here is wrong!" isn't what you were looking for, but I don't want to make the mistake of fixating on the symptom instead of looking at the disease.

1 Rotisserie chicken-$5

1 pound bag of brown rice-$1

1 box pasta-$1

<snip other examples>

I believe that adds up to $26.75

25 things he can buy for a dollar or less:

1 head of cabbage

1 bag of carrots

<snip other examples>

This is why it's so hard to give specific advice - neither of these posts would apply where I live (which is not a super-high cost of living area, but groceries definitely cost more than what is listed in these posts). So what he might want to do is take the spirit of these posts, and adapt it. Make his own list of items he can buy for $1 or less, etc.

If his budget is that tight, I also think he should really try to either work extra hours at his current job, or get a second job or some side work. There's a breaking point at which more money becomes more important than stretching the money you have, because it can only stretch so much!

Something I often do to help college students in this situation is cook a bit extra of whatever I am making my family. I freeze single serving portions of the main dish in Ziploc freezer bags, label them, then take a week's worth of main dishes to the young men or women. They can keep them in the freezer, then thaw and heat when they need them. All they need to do is add some veggie or another side, depending on what I have made. But at least they have the most expensive part already cooked. I do this with meatloaf, chicken breasts or thighs (parmesian breaded, sweet and sour, adobo, bbq, teriyaki, cordon bleu, etc.), stir fry, taco meat, enchiladas, pieces of lasagna, etc. It doesn't cost much to do this, and I'm already cooking the meal anyway.

If you have a few friends to this, you can stock his freezer with main dishes, and he will just need to cook some rice or potatoes, and veggies or salad to go with them, saving him a lot of money and giving him some meals he may not be cooking himself.

I'm pricing from the local Walmart, which isn't our cheapest local store. I do live in an apparently low cost grocery area.

I make a crockpot red beans and rice recipe that ought to provide several dinners. Here is how I would make it if I had no pantry.

Dry beans $1.32 (16 oz bag)

Stewed tomatoes .68 (regular size can)(large cans are usually $1, and you can use half and then eat the other half in something else)

Smoked sausage $2-$4 (1 lb, can be split to make 2-4 meals)(I usually would go for cheaper meat but the meat in this is more seasoning than entree)

Garlic powder .74 (add it to the pantry)

Rice 5.64 (10 lb bag, only use 2 or 3 cups)

You can cook and freeze the sausage ahead of time, put the beans in the crockpot with water when you leave in the morning, then add everything else when you get home. It isn't as good as it can be, but this is pretty simple to make. We'll call this $13 but it includes your extra rice, your garlic powder, and enough meat to make it a couple more times.

I'd like to keep going with this but I'm out of time for the moment. I'll try to come back and finish this later as long as I don't forget.

We used to call this a "pounding" when we did them at the church where I grew up. Folks would bring pantry staples like canned goods, spices, oils, coffee, tea, sugar, flour, etc. I think now it's referred to as a "pantry shower" if the couple is getting married, but could as easily be a "housewarming." Maybe you could ask for easy recipes to go with the items and compile a cookbook with ideas. If a pounding isn't feasible, how about gift cards to local grocery stores?

How much storage space will he have? How about freezer space? Also, it would be good to give him some basic reusable food storage containers for those leftovers. How does he pack his lunch? Is he using plastic wrap or something reusable?

One cheap and easy meal idea from a friend: chop an onion and brown with ground beef, add in green peas, corn and soy sauce, serve over rice. The veggies can be canned or frozen. If he likes cookies, making icebox slice and bake cookies will be cheaper and better, maybe slice them in advance to freeze and pop in the toaster oven if he has one.

To increase bulk, nutrition and stretch meals, I often add things like drained canned tomatoes and chopped frozen spinach to dishes. For burritos, we did the taco meat in seasoning, added in chopped onion, drained diced tomatoes, frozen spinach and refried beans so that it was only half meat and lasted a lot longer.

Help him find a bread outlet. I can get three loaves of whole wheat name brand sliced sandwich bread for $2.79 at our Flowers outlet as well as things like whole wheat English muffins, bagels, buns for hotdogs/hamburgers (at similar prices). They have a sale table with items for 69 cents. I go periodically and buy several loaves to freeze. If he's doing a lot of sandwiches for lunch, this will really help him stretch his budget, as well as being healthier, tastier and more filling than cheap white bread from the grocery store. The cheapest place I've found minced garlic is at the dollar store.

I have not been to a "pounding" in years!!! At our old church, you brought items that started with the first letter of your last name.

To cut our budget, I started having a baked potato night. If he has a crockpot, they cook nicely all day. We also do soup once a week (usually lentil, chili, something with beans). How about breakfast for dinner (eggs, hashbrowns or pancakes)? I also like lentils and brown rice for a meal.