Menu

DC trip

DC trip- my swimmer boy and I went with dh up to DC a couple of weeks ago. I thought I'd post some things we did and my experiences there. We had a good time. We stayed in Crystal City because dh was doing a course there and that was where the course was at, personally I wished we could have found cheaper accomadations

We didn’t have any tickets ahead of time. I don’t know how much that would have helped since it was a bit off season for the area. Also another trick we didn’t use but realized later. Several of the museums have back door/other entrances that you can also use to get in.

Day one: Holocaust Museum. We got there early and had to wait till it opened. Very worth the wait though. Security was highest at this place than any other we went to. Very moving took quite a bit of time to get through.

Then Off to the Am History museum. I was a bit disappointed in this museum. Seems like they took things off display in favor of telling about the subject matter. The first lady’s dresses was a disappointment, some of the exhibit was closed off. Enjoyed seeing Julia Child’s kitchen though.

We went to the Old Post office Building. They had a small food court. We got Frozen yogurt there it was fairly cheap. We also went up the clock tower where you can look out over the city. That was cool. And free. Really worth the short wait. It is a great view of the city.

And the natural history museum but it was a quick go through, we realized we had been there before.

Day 2 Library of Congress –this was very interesting. I do think I wished I had done a short tour of the place. We just did our own thing. They had some interesting stuff to view and historical information. And Thomas Jefferson’s library. I have more books :P

I meant to go see the Supreme court Building but I forgot.

Then. We went to the National Archives. There was a bit of a wait to get in. Then a wait to see the documents, although after we got in line and waited there was like no line behind us, that was weird. And we had an interesting happening. Now they get a big group tell you what you can’t do and then send you up. They do ask to not form a line but just to go look at the various displays. Well we head opposite of the larger group. When we get done with the side we were on we went to the other side. There was a good size group up waiting for the Main Documents.

So in a way there was a short line. Part of the line was because there was a couple there who were both in wheel chairs. I had seen them up in the Routunda area before we were. So we get in “line” behind them, some of the other people ahead of us sort of go around them, but for them it slows them up. They have to be right by the display to see. So ds and I patiently waited for this couple as they moved along the displays. We had time so it was okay, and moving in front of them just slowed them down and then slowed the whole process going on behind them. It was a bit frustrating as others would move in to the small openings in front of them. Finally we were just before the Declaration of Independence, and there was a bit of a crowd so again this couple couldn’t get up there. Well I look and you could tell the people that were looking at it were about to leave and there were some people that were maneuvering up to look at the display, well it had already happened once before. SO I stepped up in front of the group and said this couple has been waiting please let them go. There was a lady there and she whispered to me I was going to do that too. After we looked at the Declaration and were moving on I leaned up to the couple and said I’m sorry if I over stepped, it was just frustrating to me. They thanked me and then we had a few laughs as the made some comments about being in the chairs.

We left there and went back to the Post office Place to eat. And then we did a bit of walking up to just before the White house area. There were some protestors camping out in one of the parkish areas. I joked with ds that next time we wanted to go to dc that we would just make a protest sign, and camp out in downtown.

The next day we went to Ford’s Theater and the Spy Museum. I enjoyed both places. The Ford’s Theater is not always an easy place to see, they do plays there so things can be closed. But there are tickets for free. We got there just in time for the 10 am walk through. The museum is really interesting and lots of things to see and to watch. Then there was a short presentation by a park ranger in the theater. And then a quick walk through to the house where he died.

The spy museum was a bit more expensive. But we got something off since they had a special for Oct to wear a disguise and get something off. It ws a good place though with lots of info and cool things. I do think it would be better for older kids, there was lots of reading to do. It took a couple of hours to see it.

We then went to Arlington. I forgot to pay attention to the time so that we could see the changing of the guard. They did have a school group there laying a wreath. We did lots of walking looking at several sites. We walked up to the house, it is an amazing sight to see dc from up there.

On Monday we went to the Zoo. Whew it is a long way up there. And a long long walk through the zoo. We got to see quite a bit. We saw the Pandas, the Elephants, and then went to the Big ape house. We got to see an orangutan cross the O wires high above the zoo. That was cool. It was a stinking long walk back to the top of the zoo though. As soon as we get to the front there is a huge school group there and the leader says head to Cleveland Park metro, SO we headed in the opposite direction. We were really good at doing the metro by this time.

We were trying to get to Arlington to see the changing of the guards but we realized we were not going to make it so we just stopped at the Pentagon and went to see the Pentagon memorial. That was a very touching and moving experience. We were in Uganda during 9/11 so our experience Is so far removed from so many.

A couple of things we learned. Food in a backpack is okay. This saved us money since we could pack our lunch and take it with us. We also carried water bottles, only one place made us take a drink out of the bottle. I would use the Metro on line to figure out how to get to the place we were going. It would also give you a ball park figure on the cost. We just got the paper fare cards, you can refill them at the machines. That saved us a bit of money instead of just buying the all day fares.

Oh we had been up to DC several times so we were seeing just the things we hadn’t seen. I’m really glad we weren’t trying to squeeze in more to our days. I was exhausted every day when we got back.

Thanks.

We're looking to go in the spring, so info is good :)

Hope it helps.

We had already done lots of the other more main things. So don't forget those too.

And we probably could have done more, but that was exhuasting as it was.

And then another tip or two for the metro.

I got online to figure out where to go and what stops to get off to get to where I was going.

and traveling after 9:30am and before 3pm or after 7pm is cheaper by about half, during the week. You can toy with the schedule on the metro site

have fun

I still think the American History Museum is worth seeing. As for the First Ladies Exhibit they were in the process of changing exhibits to keep things new and interesting. Did you see the 18th century warship, the War of 1812 flag based on the our national anthem, the science exhibits, etc.? it is hard to see it all in one day but I think it is still marvelous:).

I still think the American History Museum is worth seeing. As for the First Ladies Exhibit they were in the process of changing exhibits to keep things new and interesting. Did you see the 18th century warship, the War of 1812 flag based on the our national anthem, the science exhibits, etc.? it is hard to see it all in one day but I think it is still marvelous:).

Yeah I think we skipped the science stuff, and one other section. but we saw the rest. I had seen it back in the day, and just had different memories of it, I was a bit more disappointed in thinking I remembered more "stuff" on display

I'm always a bit surprised at how many people come here and don't see any art at all.:confused: We have dozens of art museums. Just sayin.

OH WAIT we did um see an art museum, SADLY it was horrible EEEK.

We went to see Andy Warhol's exhibit. Unfortunately I didn't know it was only ONE work. I was hoping it was some of his iconic work.

anyway. Glad you reminded me of that,

I did want to try to get by the main one, but we just didn't have time on this visit.

We had some things I was focusing on this visit and a couple that ds wanted to see.

There were lots of things we didn't see this trip, but this was our 3rd trip up there.

And to boot ds hates art. ALthough we are going through Meet the Masters and If I had been at home the previous 6 weeks we would have done some studying of an artist or 2 before going up there but well life happened

and the Bureau of Printing & Engraving, where they print money, was an interesting tour as well. It's next to the holocaust museum, and a short walk from American History museum. We went there also (A.H. museum), and there are some things off display right now, but the Star Spangled banner is there and there is also a fun pop culture exhibit, which my kids enjoyed. They are doing a lot of renovations, so it's not the best time to go there.

I always recommend that people go to the Old Post Office pavilion - love the view from there; so much better than the Wash. Monument, which is stuffy, enclosed, and a much longer wait!

Changing of the guard at Arlington is a good thing to stop for if you go to Mt. Vernon (in my opinion, one of the best things to see in the D.C. area, except for the $$).

As far as art, you can't beat the National Gallery of Art; my kids just love the building itself, but lots of great things to see. I also recommend just asking the people at the desks at any of these places; they're generally helpful at suggesting things that will interest your particular group.

Sounds like you had a good trip and saw a lot!

Reading that makes me want to go back...tomorrow! :)

I'm always a bit surprised at how many people come here and don't see any art at all.

We didn't have time. :(

They do ask to not form a line but just to go look at the various displays.

They kept telling us and others coming in that too. But I *wanted* to be in the line. lol I wanted to take my time going around the displays reading the information. :)

They kept telling us and others coming in that too. But I *wanted* to be in the line. lol I wanted to take my time going around the displays reading the information. :)

But the line actually slows things down I get that part, the rest of the people really were able to move around from one section to the other.

Are we crazy?? We are heading to DC over Christmas Break and planning on camping. We are from Minnesota, so the cold doesn't really bug us so much.

We will have about 3 weeks to spend traveling there and back. I'm so excited about going and see it all!

Thank you for this timely post! I am heading there with the kids in a couple of weeks and this is our first trip. We only have three days there, but one of the days, we have confirmed tours of the Capitol (+ galleries) and the White House. It just so happens to be ds' birthday, too.

There is so much we want to see, but I am just not sure how to fit it all in.

Thank you for the tips about the Metro. I am hoping this will be pretty straightforward. We were in New York last year and the kids became pretty subway savvy for "Mountain Folk".

The food is a bit of a worry for me. We are staying in an area that is pretty much office buildings. By dinnertime, it looks as if the only options are a McDonald's and the hotel restaurant which I have read is very pricey. We will only have a small fridge in the room, no microwave. Looks like we should eat before coming back to the hotel.

I know you said you took lunches with you, but did you eat in the Mall area for dinner at all?

Thank you for this timely post! I am heading there with the kids in a couple of weeks and this is our first trip. We only have three days there, but one of the days, we have confirmed tours of the Capitol (+ galleries) and the White House. It just so happens to be ds' birthday, too.

Thank you for the tips about the Metro. I am hoping this will be pretty straightforward. We were in New York last year and the kids became pretty subway savvy for "Mountain Folk".

The food is a bit of a worry for me. We are staying in an area that is pretty much office buildings. By dinnertime, it looks as if the only options are a McDonald's and the hotel restaurant which I have read is very pricey. We will only have a small fridge in the room, no microwave. Looks like we should eat before coming back to the hotel.

I know you said you took lunches with you, but did you eat in the Mall area for dinner at all?

You could bring a cooler and ice blocks. Plus hotels always have ice so you could use the ice to keep food cold too.

There are virtually no restaurants right around the Mall that are even open at dinnertime. Everything there caters to the tourists and the government employees, all of whom leave at 5 pm.

But there are lots of Metro friendly clusters of restaurants, such as in Dupont Circle, Chinatown, U Street, or in Arlington (Rosslyn, etc.).

You could bring a cooler and ice blocks. Plus hotels always have ice so you could use the ice to keep food cold too.

We will be driving for a week and a half visiting family all the way up from Florida so I am definitely getting a cooler for the car. We will take it into the hotel because we are getting rid of the car when we get to DC. The parking at the hotel is $35 a night. Just not worth it.

There are virtually no restaurants right around the Mall that are even open at dinnertime. Everything there caters to the tourists and the government employees, all of whom leave at 5 pm.

But there are lots of Metro friendly clusters of restaurants, such as in Dupont Circle, Chinatown, U Street, or in Arlington (Rosslyn, etc.).

That is what I was afraid of. The Chinatown Metro station is just two away from us, so we may be doing that. Thank you!

It is hard to do that. Remember we had been there before, so for you talk with your kids about the things that they really are in must see things. It may help for you to get the timed tickets for things.

Don't forget the places usually close at about 5pm so watch your time. You can see the outside mounuments and stuff after the inside things close.

you can get on line ahead of time and do some figuring. We only used it once inside DC proper the rest of the time we just walked from place to place.

Are you sure there is no microwave? I would call and ask. Are they serving breakfast?

We just ate at the hotel in our room. we had a microwave so we made some ravioli stuff and ate that 2 nights. The other times we just ate sandwiches.

I did find th Post office Pavillion area to be fair priced food. The Ronlad Regan building has a food court too , don't know the prices there though.

We are sitting down today as a family and making our "must see" list. It is going to be a hard one. Then, we will look at the Metro lines and schedule to see how it will work for us.

I did not know about the 5:00p closing time. This will also be something to plan around.

The hotel is going to start major renovations in the Fall of 2012 and it looks as if they took the microwaves out of the rooms.:confused: They are now charging (I've heard from $5 to $10) for them to bring one to the room. I will check again before we arrive.

They do not serve a breakfast included in the cost. I have heard the buffet is good, but at least $20 each. We just cannot do that, but my family HAS to have protein in the a.m. It did just learn that there is a place about a block away that could be a possibility, a bakery/cafe. I do not know what the cost is, though.

Thank you again for the tips. This is a tremendous help.

We are sitting down today as a family and making our "must see" list. It is going to be a hard one. Then, we will look at the Metro lines and schedule to see how it will work for us.

I did not know about the 5:00p closing time. This will also be something to plan around.

The hotel is going to start major renovations in the Fall of 2012 and it looks as if they took the microwaves out of the rooms.:confused: They are now charging (I've heard from $5 to $10) for them to bring one to the room. I will check again before we arrive.

They do not serve a breakfast included in the cost. I have heard the buffet is good, but at least $20 each. We just cannot do that, but my family HAS to have protein in the a.m. It did just learn that there is a place about a block away that could be a possibility, a bakery/cafe. I do not know what the cost is, though.

Thank you again for the tips. This is a tremendous help.

yeowch no breakfast? I hope you have got a tremendous deal on this hotel? How far out of the city is it? We were in Crystal city.

It would still be worth the cost to get a microwave. I would get some ready to eat type meals to heat up for meals, even breakfast. We stay at hotels frequently for swimmer boy's swimming. So we always try to do things on the cheap. Are there cereals you can eat, I know Kashi has some that have more protien in them.

Can you look for other hotels? Are you HSLDA members? THey have a deal with CHoice hotels and you cand get them cheaper with their discount

And do check the times things close and days.

Like the spy museum is private so it was open much later.

yeowch no breakfast? I hope you have got a tremendous deal on this hotel? How far out of the city is it? We were in Crystal city.

It would still be worth the cost to get a microwave. I would get some ready to eat type meals to heat up for meals, even breakfast. We stay at hotels frequently for swimmer boy's swimming. So we always try to do things on the cheap. Are there cereals you can eat, I know Kashi has some that have more protien in them.

Can you look for other hotels? Are you HSLDA members? THey have a deal with CHoice hotels and you cand get them cheaper with their discount

And do check the times things close and days.

Like the spy museum is private so it was open much later.

My dh made the reservations for us, he gets a GREAT discount from his work. The hotel is in an amazing location, the back of the Air and Space Museum is a block away. Big bummer on the breakfast, though.

I will definitely look into getting the microwave.

Thank you for letting me know about the varying times for the museums. As we plan this out, this will be a consideration.

Thank you!