Menu

Kindergarten Curriculum

Ohio12

Moms who have been there on K....dd is 5.5. We are doing OPG, Abeka Math, read alouds, Egermeirers Bible time and handwriting practice. She is an animal expert and we watch a lot of documentary stuff for science. We do about 30 minutes of school twice a day. What one or two other things would be your "do not miss this" suggestions? (ps we are kind of doing a half first grade half K level curriculum this year)

I think your doing great, it's alot like what we did. The only other things we did were weekly trips to the library and art projects about once a month(we would have done them more, but I can't get my act together in this area!)

I think your doing great, it's alot like what we did. The only other things we did were weekly trips to the library and art projects about once a month(we would have done them more, but I can't get my act together in this area!)

that is right ART! I may sign her up for a little art class. She loves art, but I am like you, getting out all the stuff and keeping 3 yo from making a disaster can be challenging. Thanks!

Do you do any social studies? I plan on covering things like community helpers, holidays, beginning map skills, etc. I'm new to learning about classical education, and there seems to be so much emphasis on history, that I've wondered where the rest of social studies fits in.

Amy of GA

Darin's wife for 17 years

11yo dd

5yo ds

Yes to Art! This past year our K schedule was similar to yours.

One idea for art is drawing. Last year I used Drawing is Basic by Jean Morman Unsworth. It suggested incoporating drawing through "drawing breaks" with a series of drawing exercises to teach an eye to detail, but appropriate to the age level.

Another two book series I used was Write from the Start by Ion Teodorescu & Lois M. Addy. These were useful when my ds5 (now 6) was not interested in handwriting practice. He could ask for the "drawing" booklet up to three times a week instead of a handwriting page.

Activities included drawing shapes, such as a circle around a triangle, using dot grids to draw shapes or figures, making loops around a snakes body (a favorite) to name a few. These worksheets use mostly pencil and at times seemed like games. Each books is divided into "booklets", each with a different skill, to improve fine motor coordination. My ds3 (almost 4) enjoys them too and I plan to integrate them into her PreK4 activities next year.

Have a great year. It looks like you are ready to go!

Just as another thought for the art. Artistic Pursuits starts at K and has you pre-assemble different groups of art supplies so you just open the book and grab the "bag" that you need and just get going. Each lesson also has an element of art appreciation to it.

Sylvia

Do you do any social studies? I plan on covering things like community helpers, holidays, beginning map skills, etc. I'm new to learning about classical education, and there seems to be so much emphasis on history, that I've wondered where the rest of social studies fits in.

Amy of GA

11yo dd

5yo ds

Just my opinion, but I find most of 'social studies' to be a marketing device to sell books. Kids don't need to color in worksheets to learn that firefighters and police officers are our friends, and they can learn about holidays by celebrating them, and watching the occasional Charlie Brown special :D.

SOTW (and some of the other history programs, I'm sure) include a certain amount of geography that you can easily expand on. Specific map skills are easily covered via cheapo workbooks and helping plan real life trips. We've found the workbooks tend to have a lot of busywork, though - - lots of coloring in, etc.

Because there IS so much important history to cover and so many wonderful stories to read, I find it important to guard our time.

Hmmm, I'm chatty this morning, probably because I must work after this!

ITA! My sister in law wants to do a community-based social studies instead of history--it's so hard to convince her (well, I haven't truly tried) to not worry about starting "from the known and moving to the unknown." I think ancient history sounds so "unknown" when really, it's not--kids still played, people cooked, worked and worshipped--finding the "known" in history as a point of relation is so fun, and much more interesting than what kids know already, just thru living in their community.

I love introducing history, with all it's stories and wonders, to a young child.

Just my opinion, but I find most of 'social studies' to be a marketing device to sell books. Kids don't need to color in worksheets to learn that firefighters and police officers are our friends, and they can learn about holidays by celebrating them, and watching the occasional Charlie Brown special :D.

I definitely believe there are fun ways to learn these things, without it being labor intensive. We are doing standardized testing every other year with our kids (GA requires every 3), so we know economics, government, etc. are all included. We want to expose them to these topics for that, and it helps them understand the world as it is today. I am preparing them that there is no way we can cover "everything" on the test, but I don't want them to have a bad experience either, if we can prepare and help avoid it.

Amy of GA

11yo dd

5yo ds