Menu

I need an ancient lit anthology

HeatherInWI

I'm thinking about using World Literature-Revised Edition (ISBN 0-03-051409-6). It presents a chronological view of world literature, but Units 1-7 would cover the material you are probably looking for which is 676 pages of this 1400 page textbook.

Hopefully, here is an Amazon link to the book: http://www.amazon.com/World-Literature-Rinehart-Winston-Inc/dp/0030514096/ref=sr_11_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1201640071&sr=11-1

Definitely look for a used copy; I found one very reasonably priced.

If you are interested, let me know, and I'll post some unit headings and chapter titles.

I found this particular textbook while looking at the Scholars Online program overview for literature. They use it in their 8th or 9th grade literature studies. http://www.scholarsonline.org/Info/literature.php

Here are the Unit headings and some of the unit selections:

Unit 1--World Myths & Folktales

Theseus

Osiris & Isis

Green Willow

The White Snake

Unit 2--The African Literary Tradition

The Great Hymn to the Aten

African Proverbs

Sundiata: An Epic of Old Mali

Unit 3--The Ancient Middle East

The Epic of Gilgamesh

The Hebrew Bible

The New Testament

Unit 4--Greek & Roman Literatures

from The Iliad

Sappho

Thucydides

Plate

Sophocles

Oedipus Rex

from the Aeneid

Catullus

Horace

Ovid

Tacitus

Unit 5--Indian Literature

The Rig Veda

The Mahabharata

The Bhagavad-Gita

The Panchatantra

The Ramayana

Unit 6--Chinese & Japanese Literatures

The Book of Songs

Li Po

Tu Fu

Confucius

Lao-tzu

Haiku Poets

Zen Parables

Unit 7--Persian & Arabic Literatures

The Koran

The Thousand and One Nights

The Shahname: The Epic of Persia

There are a total of 11 units that take you from world myths to 20th century literature.

HTH!

Hmmm...I never thought about getting the teacher's edition. Can you give me the ISBN for it?

One way I've been preparing for more advanced literature & history studies is listening to lectures from The Teaching Company (http://www.teach12.com). I found the prices better if you wait for a sale (everything goes on sale at least once a year) and use the download format. For The Aeneid, The Iliad, and The Odyssey, I found the lectures by Elizabeth Vandiver very well done, easy to listen to, and very insightful. For the Middle Ages, I found the lectures by Philip Daileader to be extremely helpful and engaging. It's funny, but I listen & learn much more from these lectures than I ever did during my college career.