Menu

Another van question--sorry.

The price range we're looking in doesn't have the make & models you guys have recommended. (Honda, Toyota) Most of the vans have 150-200k miles. So I have 3 questions:

1. What would you consider "good enough" instead of your top choice? (Iow, no more Honda Odyssey answers, lol!)

2. What size van would you get for 5 kids? I've looked at both full size & minivans. We had a Kia Sedona w/ 4, & while the kids fit fine, getting groceries was...hard. I think most minivans are a little bigger than the Kia, but w/ the extra kid...?

3. Should we wait until we can spend more instead of looking at this price range? Will the repairs that a 10-15yo vehicle w/ that many miles on it cost enough that we will wish we'd just waited to buy something newer?

I'm seriously not snotty about what I drive, but I do like to be able to leave the house (& come back home again). To save that much more on dh's current income would take...at least 3 mos, but probably more like 6-12. We'd have dh's sedan & could seat up to 3 dc there, but no going anywhere together or while he's at work.

I drove a 1999 Chevy Venture for YEARS and I loved it--very reliable. We didn't have to do anything to it other than basic maintenance (new brake pads, etc.) We only have 2 dc but regularly have "extra's" along so I know it seats five kids comfortably. ;)

Too bad you aren't local, because we are getting ready to list it on Craiglist! I'm driving a Taurus now and I do like it, but I have to admit I sort of miss my Venture!

While I would love a Honda, we will most likely never be able to afford one.

I fit 5 carseats into my Dodge Grand Caravan. It is a 2006. I have owned it for 5 years and the only major work I have put into it is having the water pump replaced 2 years ago. It is a great van.

Just to clarify--I wasn't *looking* for a Honda. It was just emphatically recommended on a previous thread, so I did *look.* :lol:

We also don't need to fit 5 carseats--more like 3. I was just wondering at what point people get bigger vans--when they have 6 dc or sooner? I've only known one family w/ 5 kids.

There's nothing newer than 2001 in our price range, & that year model is rare. It's more like late '90s. Which is wonderful & fine & great w/ me--I just want to make sure that it makes sense to buy one in that age/mileage range rather than waiting to get a newer one.

We were thrilled to get our Kia for $1500 but over the year or two that we owned it, we put so much $$ into it that...it wasn't actually a very good deal at all. So I'm just trying...to make a smart decision, if that makes sense.

I've hesitated to post because I don't want to sound like I'm complaining. We hadn't expected to have the $ to buy *anything,* so even having the decision in my lap is a bigger blessing than I'd hoped for. :001_smile:

I drove a 1999 Chevy Venture for YEARS and I loved it--very reliable. We didn't have to do anything to it other than basic maintenance (new brake pads, etc.) We only have 2 dc but regularly have "extra's" along so I know it seats five kids comfortably. ;)

Too bad you aren't local, because we are getting ready to list it on Craiglist! I'm driving a Taurus now and I do like it, but I have to admit I sort of miss my Venture!

This is incredibly helpful! I don't know anything about specific makes & models, so having a specific one to enter into Craig's List brings up listings that the generic "mini van" doesn't! Thank you!

I fit 5 carseats into my Dodge Grand Caravan. It is a 2006. It is a great van.

I have the same van, same year. There are two car seats in it right now -- 5 kids total. I love it. It's roomy, drives great and was reasonably priced. It's one of the roomiest minivans you can get -- plenty of leg room and grocery room. Look into them!

Well, 150-200k Honda and Toyota miles should usually be looked at like 75k-100k on most vehicles.

See if you can find a Consumer Reports reliability ratings book for used vehicles. I am not sure how far back they go each year, but it could help you make sure you get something reliable. The problem is, most non-Honda, non-Toyota minivans have given a lot of people a lot of trouble over the years. That's the reason your Grand Voyagers, Caravans, Uplanders, etc tend to be a lot less expensive than Hondas and Toyotas of the same year and mileage.

If you can wait at all, I would save up more. I am just afraid you would buy something unreliable if you bought now.

Of course, there are always exceptions. :001_smile:

I have the same van, same year. There are two car seats in it right now -- 5 kids total. I love it. It's roomy, drives great and was reasonably priced. It's one of the roomiest minivans you can get -- plenty of leg room and grocery room. Look into them!

What about older ones--99-01? I don't know if you'd know that, but in case you do...:bigear:

I have a Dodge mini van too. I think it is a 2005. It doesn't have the automatic doors, but I do have the stow and Go seating. I can easily fit 2 car seats and 2 boosters in it, with a non boostered kid in the back. I only have 2 kids, but as I am the mom at home, I regularly am driving around a full car load. It is fine, I don't love it, I would rather have a Sienna with all wheel drive and all the automatic gizmos, but it is fine. It is pretty high up there on all the safety ratings and that was important to me. It gets us from point a to b in safety and always starts. Oh, and it gets surprisingly good mileage on the freeways.

If you can wait at all, I would save up more. I am just afraid you would buy something unreliable if you bought now.

Theoretically, one doesn't need a car at all, right? Based on that, I'm thinking we could wait if we needed to. But realistically, to save enough to make a difference, it would be a long wait. It's hard to know which would be better. :tongue_smilie:

3. Should we wait until we can spend more instead of looking at this price range? Will the repairs that a 10-15yo vehicle w/ that many miles on it cost enough that we will wish we'd just waited to buy something newer?

I'm seriously not snotty about what I drive, but I do like to be able to leave the house (& come back home again). To save that much more on dh's current income would take...at least 3 mos, but probably more like 6-12. We'd have dh's sedan & could seat up to 3 dc there, but no going anywhere together or while he's at work.

Well, this is probably not what you'd like to hear, but I think the answer to question #3 is yes.

Almost always the repairs for an inexpensive vehicle 10-15 years old will likely be significant. (not always, just almost always...) I think the exception would be if you were able to buy the vehicle from someone you knew personally, and could be certain it had been well taken care of.

:grouphug:

Guys, the Dodge & Chevy suggestions were great! WHY wouldn't people put "minivan" in their post??? But I'm finding *much* better/newer/lower mileage vans w/ those key words. I'm still not sure what we'll do, but I've found a list of vans for dh to call about that don't make me...wonder...if we're crazy. Kwim?

Thank you!!

Where are you looking for vehicles?

I know quite a few people that have had good luck finding deals on autotrader.com (but usually newer cars) and searchtempest.com. Searchtempest.com allows you to set parameters and then will search all craigslist ads for items that meet your specifications.

Well, this is probably not what you'd like to hear, but I think the answer to question #3 is yes.

There's actually not an answer I *want* to hear. On the one hand, I could see how it would be smarter to wait. But then...I wonder if that's...somehow a spoiled attitude or something? I don't want to...come across like I'm expecting too much. I just don't want to waste the $ we've got, whether that means driving an older car or going without for a few months.

Almost always the repairs for an inexpensive vehicle 10-15 years old will likely be significant. (not always, just almost always...) I think the exception would be if you were able to buy the vehicle from someone you knew personally, and could be certain it had been well taken care of.

:grouphug:

That's my hesitation. :001_smile: I appreciate your input!

I know quite a few people that have had good luck finding deals on autotrader.com (but usually newer cars) and searchtempest.com. Searchtempest.com allows you to set parameters and then will search all craigslist ads for items that meet your specifications.

Oh, that's good to know! I'd just been searching Craig's List.

We were thrilled to get our Kia for $1500 but over the year or two that we owned it, we put so much $$ into it that...it wasn't actually a very good deal at all. So I'm just trying...to make a smart decision, if that makes sense.

Kias are excellent...If you get a 2007 model or later. They had a bad rep before that. I know that's out of your price range though.

Honestly, for your price range I'd probably go for the *gulp* Dodge minivans. Yes, they're not always super reliable but if Toyotas and Hondas are out of your price range and you're looking at vehicles that will likely need repairs anyway then an older Dodge might be perfect simply because there are so many that you can get a lot of good parts for cheap at local junkyards.

I missed your first post, but we have been driving a Mazda MPV minivan for 7 years now with only standard maintenance needs so far (oil changes and such). We worried at first about what to expect from a Mazda, but it has been wonderfully reliable, and it was so much cheaper than "the big guys."

It has the doors on both sides and the sideways sliding seats, so rear access is easy (or you can separate the two in the middle if needed--captain's chairs-- which also remove if you need to haul something big).

The gas mileage has proven decent for such a big car. I think you could put three seats across the back-- you would have to try it. I used to stand in the trunk if I had to put my little one in the back seat ;).

The trunk has a deep well, so it holds quite a lot. It's no Suburban, but it doesn't cost the same, and gets better mileage and is more reliable, too :).

Good luck.

The price range we're looking in doesn't have the make & models you guys have recommended. (Honda, Toyota) Most of the vans have 150-200k miles. So I have 3 questions:

1. What would you consider "good enough" instead of your top choice? (Iow, no more Honda Odyssey answers, lol!).

we have a 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan and LOVE it. (Paid $9000 + taxes. 60K miles when we got it.)

I've also driven a 2002 Pontiac Montana and was satisfied -- though we got rid of that and got this car when it started having mysterious problems that affected the braking -- but turned out to be part of the security system. And I know our other Pontiac in that year-age (2001 Grand Am (paid $5K for it 3 years ago. I forget how many miles) has also had security problems.

In retrospect we probably paid too much for the Grand Am. I expected to get more time out of it. I bought a 1999 Saturn SW2 as a program car that lasted 9 years -- and was still running (just eating oil and we didn't want to pay to ship such an old car--probably should have) when we passed it on to a missionary. We are hoping to be able to do that with the next car.

We have two kids.

We got the Pontiac Montana with the birth of our first kid because it was a gift. I consider the van a necessity with 3 kids because its pretty hard to cram 3 kids into the back of a car. Nicer to have more room to spread out (though I know families that have done it otherwise too)

Edited by vonfirmath

Yeah... I would be very hesitant to buy most cars late 1990s to 2002 right now considering that we DO take care of our cars. But the 2001 Pontiac Grand Am is on its last legs -- we're just hoping it does not need a major repair before we can afford to replace it. And we just had to get rid of the 2002 Pontiac Montana last Christmas due to needing repairs that were more expensive than the car (and might not fix the issue!)

1. What would you consider "good enough" instead of your top choice? (Iow, no more Honda Odyssey answers, lol!)

2. What size van would you get for 5 kids? I've looked at both full size & minivans. We had a Kia Sedona w/ 4, & while the kids fit fine, getting groceries was...hard. I think most minivans are a little bigger than the Kia, but w/ the extra kid...?

Reliability is the most important thing to me, and I don't believe you'll get that in a 10-15 year old vehicle. We always buy used, and find that a 6 year old vehicle is usually a great bargain. Once it's over 5, the prices drops significantly, but you can easily find 6 yo vehicles with relatively few miles on them.

I would wait until you have the money. Repair bills really pile up, and then there is that stress of driving an unreliable vehicle, too, and the down time while you're waiting to get it back from the shop... again.

I would never purchase a van in the 150-200K mile range. If someone gave me one, that might be ok for awhile, with my full understanding I would be purchasing soon. This is just asking for trouble, in my opinion. That's when all problems kick in on every kind of model.

I wanted a Honda Odyssey but I also wanted to pay cash, when my SUV was totaled last year. So I ended up buying a Ford but it was in absolutely perfect condition with only 40K thousand miles on it because it was owned by an 80 year old man and his wife. I paid 8K cash. I expect I can get several years out of it and it runs perfectly because it was barely used. These are the gems you look for, not the hard-used vehicle. It takes a little while but is oh, so worth it. I have purchased all vehicles so this is my experience.

Also, run anything you are looking at by the "Appraise my Car" feature on Edmunds.com. You insert make, model, mileage, color, condition and zip code and come out with a reasonable price for that condition. Then you use this information to bolster your offer; make copies. Remember that KBB.com (Kelley Blue Book) is preferred by Sellers, because the are overpriced (insurance companies will not accept Kbb). You want the lower price as a buyer. Without exception all dealers have tacked on 2K+ profit and so I prefer to purchase directly from individuals, who are more reasonable, since they are able to sell directly for more than the pittance a dealer wants to give them.

It's worth having a Ford instead of a Honda this time in order to avoid a car payment at a time I was not expecting to buy (My SUV had only 40K miles on it!). YMMV

Reliability is the most important thing to me, and I don't believe you'll get that in a 10-15 year old vehicle. We always buy used, and find that a 6 year old vehicle is usually a great bargain. Once it's over 5, the prices drops significantly, but you can easily find 6 yo vehicles with relatively few miles on them.

I would wait until you have the money. Repair bills really pile up, and then there is that stress of driving an unreliable vehicle, too, and the down time while you're waiting to get it back from the shop... again.

Absolutely! 100% correct!

Yes! Craigslist! I buy all of our vehicles from CL (two last year because both of our vehicles bit the dust). In the old days, I bought them all from elderly people who placed ads in the newspaper. Cars owned by older people are clean and not hard-used. They can't see at night, so their trips are mostly day trips. (Ask me how I know!;))

Also, check ebaymotors, if you want to know actual selling prices of cars around you.

This is incredibly helpful! I don't know anything about specific makes & models, so having a specific one to enter into Craig's List brings up listings that the generic "mini van" doesn't! Thank you!

Oh good, I get to use my generally useless vehicle knowledge:

Look up these minivans (besides Honda Odyssey and Toyota Sienna), Mazda M5, Dodge Caravan, Hyundai Entourage, Nissan Quest, Kia Sedona, Buick Terraza (cheap!), Chrysler Town and Country, Ford Freestar, and Pontiac Montana.

You can find some great deals if you cruise Craigslist several times a day.

Driving a 1997 Chevy Venture as well. Almost 200K miles and it's been really reliable.

That said, we put a new engine in at about 120K but otherwise, it's been great.

Routine stuff, but nothing major.

We generally buy at auction for less than $1,000 and then assume $2,000 worth of work so when something major comes along we're not knocked for a loop.

eta: My parents have been driving a Hyundai (car) for several years; and they're pretty particular. My BIL also drives one and is happy with it. They're really giving American cars a run for their money.

This link may be helpful. I'm not familiar with the different names of minivans, but I did notice Toyota Sienna '01 -'02 is recommended in the $4000 to $6000 range. That's not to say you won't find one for even a bit less than the $4000. To me, a more expensive, but reliable one is worth waiting a few months.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/used-cars/cr-recommended/best-used-vehicles-under-20000/overview/index.htm

• 2 years later...

Kias are excellent...If you get a 2007 model or later. They had a bad rep before that. I know that's out of your price range though.

Honestly, for your price range I'd probably go for the *gulp* Dodge minivans. Yes, they're not always super reliable but if Toyotas and Hondas are out of your price range and you're looking at vehicles that will likely need repairs anyway then an older Dodge might be perfect simply because there are so many that you can get a lot of good parts for cheap at local junkyards.

Yup. We have a Dodge 2006, only repairs have been maintanance stuff, new brakes, etc, and I drive a LOT. Many hours a week. It is in the shop now though, the timing belt broke (which happens) and now needs new valves because of that. It's a big repair. We are going ot trade it in as soon as it is fixed, for something with less miles. But we will do a Grand Caravan again, more than likley, just one with less miles on it. 

Are you trying to fit 7 people or 8? We have a Ford which we bought with 60K for $6K. It is a 2005 and works really well. Our biggest complaint is that it is noisy, which is so minor! I wouldn't use it for 8 on a regular basis, though, but you *could* because the middle bench and the back bench are the same size.

Emily