Menu

A College Admissions officer called about our transcript today.....

debbiec

and I was a little exasperated at him but being that he is one of a team of folks evaulating him for admissions, I had to be really calm and polite. He said in his 16 years of working at the university, he has never seen a homeschool transcipt. Are you kidding me?!!! He said I HAD to have a "school" transcript. I explained that we couuld obtain and forward a transcipt from our umbrella, but I did not agree with how they handled DE credits so chose to do my own. We sent the university his 9th grade public school transcript, his community college DE transcript and our homeschool transcript. He said he simply did not understand why in the world we would send his community college transcipt for admission ....etc...

It was exasperating because DS called his assigned admissions officer (not the one who called me today) a month ago and got the particulars about all this on the front end. He even went to the school (local) and talked to them in person.

If this wasn't one of his first choice schools at the moment ~ I would just not care, but it's his first choice and he REALLY needs an merit scholarship from them so I want to do whatever they want. I offered to send the umbrella transcript, but now he says not to worry about and he will see what the committee admission committee says. Should I send it anyway? Our umbrella emailed everyone that all transcript request must be in by next week to be processed and mailed by December 1st. ugh!

He has already been accepted to two other private universities with the exact same things, and we didn't have a hitch at all. And on top of it all, he told me Vanderbilt (our other local private university) does not accept homeschool students ~ what!? (This was not Vanderbilt I was talking to, though I have talked to the Dean of Admissions from Vanderbilt before DS not to apply and homeschool student applications are not much different than most other universities - a supplement). I know homeschool students that attend Vanderbilt. Good grief.

Fortunately ~ this is our only problem in the admissions process thus far. DS is applying for 4 colleges total, admitted to two and waiting on this one (scholarhip required to attend) and one other (will hope for scholarship but will attend anyway).

Vent session is over ~ thank you.

Debbie in Nashville

Edited by debbiec

Vandy definitely accepts hs students and my son applied there. There was no problem with the process. If this is his first choice school then I would definitely send the umbrella transcript so that he can not come back later and use that as an excuse against you.... but, this guy is really weird....

:iagree: except my son chose not to apply to Vandy after checking them out. They definitely were open to homeschoolers when we contacted them though. Many colleges have opted to have one person as the "go-to" person for homeschoolers. Any chance this school has that person and you could check with them?

BUT, if it were my guy's #1 choice and he really wanted it badly, I'd just send the umbrella school's transcript since you have that option.

Every school my guy has applied to has asked for his cc transcript to be sent...

:grouphug:

My ds attended public school in 9th grade, took some homeschool classes, had two AP classes from PA Homeschoolers, and two community college classes. I put everything on one transcript. I noted which classes were taken at the ps and cc. For the other outsourced classes I listed the teacher and contact info. This was sent to four colleges and we was accepted at all. If admissions wanted to request a transcript from the ps I would have requested one be sent. I only sent his cc transcript to the school that he chose to attend so that the credits would be transferred.

I would give him the name of the admissions officer your son checked with up front and ask him to talk to that person, and then have your son call that initial assigned admissions officer and tell him/her the situation, including the name of the person who said he needed a school transcript. Hopefully the two of them could confer behind the scenes and clear up the misunderstanding.

Just so you know, though, your homeschool transcript IS a school transcript. It comes from YOUR school. Which happens to also be in your home.

Just so you know, though, your homeschool transcript IS a school transcript. It comes from YOUR school. Which happens to also be in your home.

Yes, this!

I second the idea that perhaps the school has a designated "homeschool" admissions officer. We experienced this at one school to which dd applied. I might call the admissions department and ask if there is such a person.

We had absolutely NO problems submitting our homeschool transcript to any of the colleges to which dd applied. There were, however, two schools which required complete course descriptions in addition to the transcript.

and I was a little exasperated at him but being that he is one of a team of folks evaulating him for admissions, I had to be really calm and polite. He said in his 16 years of working at the university, he has never seen a homeschool transcipt. Are you kidding me?!!! He said I HAD to have a "school" transcript. I explained that we couuld obtain and forward a transcipt from our umbrella, but I did not agree with how they handled DE credits so chose to do my own. We sent the university his 9th grade public school transcript, his community college DE transcript and our homeschool transcript. He said he simply did not understand why in the world we would send his community college transcipt for admission ....etc...

It was exasperating because DS called his assigned admissions officer (not the one who called me today) a month ago and got the particulars about all this on the front end. He even went to the school (local) and talked to them in person.

If this wasn't one of his first choice schools at the moment ~ I would just not care, but it's his first choice and he REALLY needs an merit scholarship from them so I want to do whatever they want. I offered to send the umbrella transcript, but now he says not to worry about and he will see what the committee admission committee says. Should I send it anyway? Our umbrella emailed everyone that all transcript request must be in by next week to be processed and mailed by December 1st. ugh!

He has already been accepted to two other private universities with the exact same things, and we didn't have a hitch at all. And on top of it all, he told me Vanderbilt (our other local private university) does not accept homeschool students ~ what!? (This was not Vanderbilt I was talking to, though I have talked to the Dean of Admissions from Vanderbilt before DS not to apply and homeschool student applications are not much different than most other universities - a supplement). I know homeschool students that attend Vanderbilt. Good grief.

Fortunately ~ this is our only problem in the admissions process thus far. DS is applying for 4 colleges total, admitted to two and waiting on this one (scholarhip required to attend) and one other (will hope for scholarship but will attend anyway).

Vent session is over ~ thank you.

Debbie in Nashville

So dude lied to you or he is ignorant. (wrt Vanderbilt) I would assume that he's trying to play you by making the situation seem worse than it is. I would call him on his lie (or ignorance) and ask if this level of integrity or knowledge is representative of the admissions staff as a whole. If not, ask to please deal with someone more honest and/or more knowledgeable.

So dude lied to you or he is ignorant. (wrt Vanderbilt) I would assume that he's trying to play you by making the situation seem worse than it is. I would call him on his lie (or ignorance) and ask if this level of integrity or knowledge is representative of the admissions staff as a whole. If not, ask to please deal with someone more honest and/or more knowledgeable.

I definitely wouldn't recommend doing this if you truly want acceptance to this school. It's something I'd LOVE to do mentally, but it wouldn't be wise. Admissions officers hold the keys.

My ds attended public school in 9th grade, took some homeschool classes, had two AP classes from PA Homeschoolers, and two community college classes. I put everything on one transcript. I noted which classes were taken at the ps and cc. For the other outsourced classes I listed the teacher and contact info. This was sent to four colleges and we was accepted at all. If admissions wanted to request a transcript from the ps I would have requested one be sent. I only sent his cc transcript to the school that he chose to attend so that the credits would be transferred.

This was how we did it, too.

Well, DS is calling the admissions office today and I went ahead and ordered the umbrella transcripts anyway. They are free and I'm on a time crunch with them for requests. Really, it might have been easier all the way around to have just sent the umbrella transcripts that certainly look like an official school and no one would have even known he was a home schooled student (unless they asked).

Debbie,

We're also in Tennessee with an umbrella school, and I've been wondering this very thing. I'm pleased with our umbrella school, but I'm not crazy about the formatting of their transcripts. Also, one of the scholarships my daughter is applying for requires that students include their ranking. Our umbrella ranks based on ACT since so many homeschoolers have 4.0. However, I don't feel that is a fair ranking compared to how other students are ranked.

I would love to just do a homeschool transcript and not use the umbrella, but I wasn't sure if we could do that since technically in Tennessee we're considered private school students and not homeschoolers. How have others dealt with this?

Thanks,

Sharon

Debbie,

We're also in Tennessee with an umbrella school, and I've been wondering this very thing. I'm pleased with our umbrella school, but I'm not crazy about the formatting of their transcripts. Also, one of the scholarships my daughter is applying for requires that students include their ranking. Our umbrella ranks based on ACT since so many homeschoolers have 4.0. However, I don't feel that is a fair ranking compared to how other students are ranked.

I would love to just do a homeschool transcript and not use the umbrella, but I wasn't sure if we could do that since technically in Tennessee we're considered private school students and not homeschoolers. How have others dealt with this?

Thanks,

Sharon

I am guessing that this is where the problem lies. In TN, if you are under the Jeter Memorandum, you are considered to be in private school. Everyone else must register with their school system. To say you are homeschooling and turn in a home-made transcript means that you are illegally homeschooling which colleges will, of course, not recognize. I used the school's transcript and never mentioned homeschooling. If applying to out of state schools, it may not cause problems because they may not be aware of Tn homeschool laws.

Well, the two out of state schools (GA) took the home-school transcript and didn't bat an eye. And yes, we are part of an umbrella in TN and thus a "private school." I totally get that but one TN private school took the transcript with no questions, but one did not. After we talked to them the next day, they understood why I did that and they agreed that some umbrella transcipts are not done well at all. My umbrella still has not gotten test scores on there (SAT, ACT and AP scores) after multiple requests. At any rate, one school said although they still need one from the umbrella to meet the "school qualification" for homeschoolers, they like being able to see everything at a glance on the one I submitted as a reference and a "big picture" view of his high school years.