Menu

Thanks for the math card game!!!

misidawnrn

I played this with DD today for about an hour! Someone mentioned it the other day and I had to get a deck of cards first. We played it so you could do addition or subtraction with 2 or more cards and she was bummed that we had to quit playing it but I need to get lunch done. I think it really helped to have her add and subtract in a competitive manner.

For those that missed the link (I don't have the link either) but here is the gist of it.

Each player gets 4 cards in the hand and there is 4 cards laying face up on the table. You have to add (and we did subtract) your cards to equal something in the face up pile. DD soon figured out that she could add stuff in her hand and make it add up to 2 cards in the face up pile, too! It was amazing and fun. Much better than go fish (which is the only other card game I know).

Is it the one I linked here, from Lynette Long's Dealing With Addition?

http://educatingrisa.com/2011/01/21/dealing-with-addition-math-game-part-2/

It sounds like this game. We have this book too, we just have yet to play the game because the strategy of the game is a bit beyond my five-year-old...or at least I have assumed so.

Is this Speed!? We order Speed! from Amazon on a rec from here, and my kids ADORE it. They love games, and they dislike xtramath (although I make them do it daily). My older needs work on his speed, so this game is perfect.

:D Speed just came in the mail today. I saw a recommendation for it on Monday and ordered it right away since my 9 y.o. told me she hates multiplication. I'm hoping this will change her mind.;)

:D Speed just came in the mail today. I saw a recommendation for it on Monday and ordered it right away since my 9 y.o. told me she hates multiplication. I'm hoping this will change her mind.;)

We are loving it here. First day, but still-kids are asking to play a LOT. And I like it because of the easy set-up and clean-up, and the fact that each game is short. ;)

Is it the one I linked here, from Lynette Long's Dealing With Addition?

http://educatingrisa.com/2011/01/21/dealing-with-addition-math-game-part-2/

Yes, this is exactly the link that I used. Thanks for finding the actual link. It works for addition and subtraction and if you are really good, you can do an addition and subtraction. DD LOVED it.

This sounds like a variation of Cassino, an old, Italian card game that shows up in Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility. In Cassino only addition is used, and you can't combine cards in your hand but only on the table. The combining is done in one turn (making a "build"), and then you capture that stack in your next turn. This introduces a bit of suspense, since you have to hope no one else attacks your build in the meantime. Also, in Cassino, you can capture multiple victims, as long as they all add up to the number of the card you're using to capture them.

Cassino is fairly easy to adapt for multiplication, division, and negative numbers (and even exponents and roots), as well as addition and subtraction. If you don't want to make up rules for yourself, there is a card game already prepared:

I've never heard of Speed. I wonder if I should try it. My 5 year old knows almost all of his multiplication thanks to Timez Attack (he was obsessed) but dd8 isn't a computer game player much. I wonder if I should try this with her? She does like card games. What do you guys think? I hate to waste money but if you think this is REALLY effective and fun, I think I should.