Menu

I am absolutely LIVID with my dr. office!

My doctor's office just called my dh's cell phone, even though my chart specifically states they do NOT have permission to contact ANYONE regarding my care.

So of course dh texts me, wanting to know why my dr is calling him, what's wrong, etc.

So I call my dr's office, I'm VERY upset because I know for certain that they do NOT have permission to contact ANYONE but myself. I explain the situation as calmly as I can to the first lady that answered the phone. She looks up my chart, and says she does see that they should not have called him. So then I say I would like to know who contacted him and why.

I get transferred to another lady. She is at first dismissive and rude, and informs me that dh was called because he is my emergency contact, and since I had not been returning their calls about scheduling a follow-up appointment, she called him.

Well, this is where I couldn't keep it together. I told her that I was not there at their office dying; not returning their phone call was not an emergency! That my chart specifically said they did not have permission to contact my husband about my care; that the reason I have not returned their calls is because I am not satisfied with the care Ilm receiving at their office, and am finding a new doctor; that I'd never be returning to their offoce now anyway since they so blatantly violated my privacy; and that they are not to contact me again, NOR are they to contact my husband regarding my care again.

I'm still so upset.

(And I'd rather not get into why my privacy wishes are what they are. The office was made fully aware of them, and disregarded them.)

Something similar happened with our doctor's office as well.

They were calling for a yearly well-child check for dd. I was busy and hadn't called them back.

My father is listed as an emergency contact... so they called HIM. He is no one I want in my business at ALL (beyond occasional visits), and certainly has nothing to do with doctor's appointments.

I was very angry.. and ultimately decided they must be desperate for patients or something. Imho it completely crossed the line, and was a warning for me never to put down anyone I didn't want them to call... for any reason.

You need to document everything that happened as best you can RIGHT NOW. Make a file. Do it.

Then when you are calm and have had time to think about it, decide if you want to pursue this. If they've done it to you they've done it to others. You have cause to sue.

I'd write a certified letter to the Dr informing HIM of what happened (it's his staff who did this. He needs to know.), and if I didn't get a groveling apology and assurances the staff member was disciplined at the very least, I'd report the incident to the medical ethics board.

there are some pretty strong laws against this type of thing. every time I go to a new dr's office, I have to sign those forms.

Edited by gardenmom5

At the very least I would report them to the state medical agency, file a complaint about the privacy violation.

:iagree:. I also like the idea of not listing an emergency contact at your new doctor's office.

This in no way mitigates what happened to the OP, but some of those doctor office forms can have clauses giving them permission to discuss your care with certain others. One thing that was discussed when HIPAA first came out was whether it would be good to have a form that said that you gave consent to discuss care with anyone who accompanied you to a doctor, for example. This can be helpful with elderly folks who are relying on children to help them make medical decisions and remember what was said at the doctor's.

I'd ask for a copy of my file including any HIPAA releases or consents.

This in no way mitigates what happened to the OP, but some of those doctor office forms can have clauses giving them permission to discuss your care with certain others. One thing that was discussed when HIPAA first came out was whether it would be good to have a form that said that you gave consent to discuss care with anyone who accompanied you to a doctor, for example. This can be helpful with elderly folks who are relying on children to help them make medical decisions and remember what was said at the doctor's.

I'd ask for a copy of my file including any HIPAA releases or consents.

My doctor's offices have actual release forms where you specifically list who can be contacted with your medical information. It even includes whether they can leave messages on voicemail or an answering machine since other people could listen to those.

I am sorry this happened to you. I would pursue filing a complaint. If the office staff was apologetic and realized the severity of what they did, that would be one thing but since they had the opposite reaction, I would make sure they realized that not only was it not ethical...it was illegal.

I NEVER list contacts of any kind on my medical files, but for my kids, I do have my husband listed. The only place I have had a problem with this was in an office that had a computer generated database that linked the family together. When I go in, I ask if they have an emergency contact listed for me, if they do, I ask that it not only be removed, but I have them put my cell number in the place where dhs tends to get auto populated by the computer. When I used to leave it blank, it seemed like the computer wanted to put something there. When I put the same number as my cell it stopped auto filling it, with info off of my children's charts.

Guest Mr Okapi

I have to say that when i first read all of this my very first response was really? Even more so after seeing the tidal wave of response to it. Now after giving it some thought, i think the most important point has been missed.

First, if the only message left was to call the office, there is no egregious violation and no, they can't get in trouble. There is no disclosure of any information regarding tests, your diagnosis, treatment, or anything discussed between you and the doctor regarding your care.

If it is actually noted on the chart never to call your husband for any thing except life or death, the scheduler is guilty of making a mistake and missing that notation. If it isn't on the chart,they are guilty of being someone who is responsible and trying to do their job. They felt your follow-up was important because the doctor said you needed to follow up. Therefore they made the best possible effort to contact you. Had you taken their call and simply said "i need to check my schedule and call you back" it might have easily avoided the issue, but i realize that is not your point.(i'm just sayin')

Obviously this is not the popular position, but i thought it would be nice to provide a different perspective. Seriously, i think the most important point hasn't been discussed. Your reasons are your own...I don't need or want to know them. But if your relationship requires you to hide things like the doctor's appointment, then perhaps we all need to dismount from that high horse and get on our knees and pray for you both. I truly mean that in a gentle way. I am sorry if you are having to live in what sounds like a difficult situation. Have a blessed day.

If your DH wants to know why they are calling then that tells me that they didn't violate HIPAA most likely. They didn't give him any info. I agree that it's frustrating that they missed the memo that says don't call him but it is confusing having him as an alternate contact in one area of the chart and saying don't contact in another area. That is begging for someone in a busy office to drop the ball and screw up on.

I'll leave the judgements about your marriage out of it. That's no one's business to comment on.

That's a HIPAA violation. They can get in big trouble for that.

:iagree:

I do not see how it could be missed even at 500 clients a day -- it is in her chart, they had to go to her chart to get the phone numbers, they had to get to her chart to see he was emergency contact -- thus they should have seen the no permisson to contact...

Let's be realistic to make a call they have to look at the list of who TO call, and she clearly had it stated NOT to call in any one

pretty cut and dry

ETA I's notr sue, but I'd sure make it clear I COULD and I'd file official complaints and I'd demand the person that placed the call be remermanded offically -- if no one expects and demand good care / service no one is ever going to get it

Guest Mr Okapi
If your DH wants to know why they are calling then that tells me that they didn't violate HIPAA most likely. They didn't give him any info. I agree that it's frustrating that they missed the memo that says don't call him but it is confusing having him as an alternate contact in one area of the chart and saying don't contact in another area. That is begging for someone in a busy office to drop the ball and screw up on.

I'll leave the judgements about your marriage out of it. That's no one's business to comment on.

On further consideration, you're probably right. no judgement was meant, just the recognition of a difficult situation.

First, I am sorry this happened. I believe you should have called the doctor's office back and told them to remove you as a patient. You were taking up their office's time with them trying to contact you.

It sounds like something was going on that they felt you really needed to follow up. If it were a serious situation and a doctor you liked, would you not be glad they were trying every way possible to reach you?

I guess I'm trying to look at it from the nurse's side who called. She has this file in front of her of a patient who (potentially?) needs to come back in the office. It says not to discuss medical care with dh, but dh's phone number is there in an emergency. Wouldn't an emergency call be discussing medical care? I think the person was just trying to do their job.

It doesn't matter what the reason is, the office violated her right to privacy, which includes information as to whether she is a patient at all.

My husband and I were just discussing this. He felt a bit violated when the urologist demanded I come in with him and basically give my consent before his vasectomy. I thought it was weird, too. I do not have rights over his body and medical care (as long as he is competent to make such decisions, obviously).

Also, I think it is very odd that someone created an account on this forum for the purpose of posting a "get over it" reply to this thread.

My husband and I were just discussing this. He felt a bit violated when the urologist demanded I come in with him and basically give my consent before his vasectomy. I thought it was weird, too. I do not have rights over his body and medical care (as long as he is competent to make such decisions, obviously).

I had to do the same thing with my dh. His urologist said he sees so many patients come back for reversals because they want another baby. He said they usually end up angry because the reversals are not easy to go through and they don't always work. I still felt it was weird. I've never heard of a gyn. asking a dh to ok anything.

I had to do the same thing with my dh. His urologist said he sees so many patients come back for reversals because they want another baby. He said they usually end up angry because the reversals are not easy to go through and they don't always work. I still felt it was weird. I've never heard of a gyn. asking a dh to ok anything.

well when I was having medical things done that could effect my ablity to carry a baby my OB insisted that DH come at least to a consult and talk about it -- he did not insist or ask Dh to agree -- i signed my own forms, but he DID vant Dh to be part of the discussion.

now i trust my OB and had I told him, no i did not want DH part of the conservation he would have agreed, but he did bring it up and he did want DH as part of the discussion

I have to say that when i first read all of this my very first response was really? Even more so after seeing the tidal wave of response to it. Now after giving it some thought, i think the most important point has been missed.

First, if the only message left was to call the office, there is no egregious violation and no, they can't get in trouble. There is no disclosure of any information regarding tests, your diagnosis, treatment, or anything discussed between you and the doctor regarding your care.

If it is actually noted on the chart never to call your husband for any thing except life or death, the scheduler is guilty of making a mistake and missing that notation. If it isn't on the chart,they are guilty of being someone who is responsible and trying to do their job. They felt your follow-up was important because the doctor said you needed to follow up. Therefore they made the best possible effort to contact you. Had you taken their call and simply said "i need to check my schedule and call you back" it might have easily avoided the issue, but i realize that is not your point.(i'm just sayin')

Obviously this is not the popular position, but i thought it would be nice to provide a different perspective.

Really do NOT make a big deal out of this. Unless they gave out a bunch of you medical info (which it sounds like did not happen) then leave it alone. I am okay with letting the doctor know but no filing complaints. I HATE this stuff. Because of all these crappy privacy laws my DH and I have to do double the work all the time because no one will let you do stuff for each other anymore. Currently causing a problem for us in getting my BC because we are on different ends of the country.

At my doctor's office, I had to sign a paper specifically stating that it was okay for the Doctor or the office to talk to my DH about my medical care or to leave messages with him about me or for me.

It was a totally separate paper that I had to sign. I asked why and they said that just because he was my emergency contact, did NOT give them permission to call him or discuss any of my medical care. They stated that the emergency contact was in case I was at the hospital or incapacitated and they needed to reach a next of kin.

I'd write a certified letter to the Dr informing HIM of what happened (it's his staff who did this. He needs to know.), and if I didn't get a groveling apology and assurances the staff member was disciplined at the very least, I'd report the incident to the medical ethics board.

there are some pretty strong laws against this type of thing. every time I go to a new dr's office, I have to sign those forms.

To the op...:grouphug:. I know that it is so difficult for me to have any personal space. My family is sweet and kind, but mama has to stay the same, be the same, always. :) Just yesterday I stopped by Goodwill on my way home from taking dd to college. I ran in, found a beautiful sweater in 5 minutes, and ran out for home. I actually stashed the bag in my purse so the girls wouldn't know that I had gone without them. My motives make no sense at all lol, but show how sometimes, all a gal wants is a little time to herself without having to explain. I can't imagine what would happen if I went to the doctor, for anything. Questions, questions, worry, more questions...:tongue_smilie:

There's not enough info in the original post to know whether or not the doctor's office did something wrong. It would depend up on the type of follow-up the office was calling about.

Say the patient recently had a surgery that could have life-threatening complications. Say a patient was being treated for psychosis. I am NOT saying that either was the case with the OP. Just giving examples of situations where it might be appropriate for a doctor's office to use the emergency contact if unable to reach the patient.

I can imagine cases where a doctor's office might think that not having a follow-up could be an emergency situation.

If your DH wants to know why they are calling then that tells me that they didn't violate HIPAA most likely. They didn't give him any info. I agree that it's frustrating that they missed the memo that says don't call him but it is confusing having him as an alternate contact in one area of the chart and saying don't contact in another area. That is begging for someone in a busy office to drop the ball and screw up on....

I agree. IF they told him anything about your health, it could be a HIPAA violation. If they simply called the emergency contact and said, "We're trying to reach so-and-so" it most likely is not.

It's probably also unwise to have an emergency contact that you would *not* want to know details of your health. If, for whatever reason, you would not want them contacting your dh to make decisions on your behalf, you should consider replacing him as your emergency contact on future forms.

This hasn't been my experience at all.

It's definitely been my experience. It's a real pain in the neck with a deployed spouse too. Someone will call and rather than give me the info, insist on calling back when he's available. Um, ok. Call back in 9 months or so then. lol!

I don't know. It's not that difficult to read a chart. Is it? He is not her father. He is not her keeper. It's rather disrespectful. It's not the end of the world, but it's still not right.

Years ago when I was 18 I got my OB care at a free clinic. They even offered a special procedure for contacting a patient in case one didn't want their parent to know about it (even if one was under 18).

It's not hard to read a chart, no, but depending on how the chart is laid out, it's possible that the note about not contacting her DH was not near the contact information. I know my doctor has switched to electronic charts, and it's quite easy for something to scroll out of view. I imagine with the volume of calls made in a day, it would be easy for someone to miss something like this.

I do think the OP should complain in writing, as clearly the office should take steps to link notes like this more closely to the contact information.

But I also think the OP should follow Tap, tap, tap's advice and not include her husband as her emergency contact.

When things are important to you, it helps to do as much as you can to insure you prevent mistakes.

I don't know. It's not that difficult to read a chart. Is it? He is not her father. He is not her keeper. It's rather disrespectful. It's not the end of the world, but it's still not right.

Years ago when I was 18 I got my OB care at a free clinic. They even offered a special procedure for contacting a patient in case one didn't want their parent to know about it (even if one was under 18).

I doubt they called him because of paternalism. They had one number that was not being responded to so they called the alternate. Seems reasonable to me. No it's not hard to read a chart but depending on where the notice was, it may be pretty easy to miss. The OP has options here. If she doesn't want him contacted then it seems fairly easy to not list him at all and avoid the whole situation. Receptionists are human and things are missed from time to time. If it is THAT vital to me then I am going to take it upon myself to prevent that from happening rather than set up a situation where it is very simple to have an error.

It's not hard to read a chart, no, but depending on how the chart is laid out, it's possible that the note about not contacting her DH was not near the contact information. I know my doctor has switched to electronic charts, and it's quite easy for something to scroll out of view. I imagine with the volume of calls made in a day, it would be easy for someone to miss something like this.

I do think the OP should complain in writing, as clearly the office should take steps to link notes like this more closely to the contact information.

But I also think the OP should follow Tap, tap, tap's advice and not include her husband as her emergency contact.

When things are important to you, it helps to do as much as you can to insure you prevent mistakes.

:iagree: We were posting at the same time or I'd have just ditto'ed you. :D

Absolutely inform the doctor himself. Even if you don't choose to return there for future treatment.

I would be beyond livid.

I doubt they called him because of paternalism. They had one number that was not being responded to so they called the alternate. Seems reasonable to me. No it's not hard to read a chart but depending on where the notice was, it may be pretty easy to miss. The OP has options here. If she doesn't want him contacted then it seems fairly easy to not list him at all and avoid the whole situation. Receptionists are human and things are missed from time to time. If it is THAT vital to me then I am going to take it upon myself to prevent that from happening rather than set up a situation where it is very simple to have an error.

:iagree:This is SOP ime.

Obviously this is not the popular position, but i thought it would be nice to provide a different perspective. .

I gotta agree with Mr. Okapi on this part.

I'm a serious privacy rights advocate. But unless the doctor's office shared test results with your husband or another relative, or was specific in some way, the office may contact any others listed as emergency contacts. I don't like it but they can legally do it.

My second thought was that this is your husband, not the neighbor down the road or your second cousin. I realize you said you didn't wish to address why you need to keep the fact that you have an appointment upcoming from your husband, but I think it is understandable to leave a message with the spouse that contains no specific content and that there won't be any repercussions from that, so long as specific personal health information was not shared.

This may not be true if it was any other than a GP of course. If some specific specialist or clinic called, that could be a privacy violation, if it was the type of office that one would generally prefer to keep private.

Example: "This is Ms. Jones from the "Male Impotence Clinic" calling about the Viagra prescription you wanted. Please call back." NOT OK.

"This is Ms. Jones calling from Doctor Smith's office. Please give us a call at #" Probably ok.

Edited by TranquilMind

It's not about suing (I don't think, I didn't read every post). Since when is scheduling an appointment an emergency? I don't care if they are seeing 500 patients a day. They have the chart in front of them.

I would have been satisfied with "I'm very sorry, it won't happen again." But to claim scheduling an appointment constitutes an emergency is pretty poor judgement and a lousy response.

That is certainly true. Emergency contact should not be notified for a routine visit. Ridiculous.

Just to throw this out there, I think they need to be careful and respectful of privacy because you just never know what the person's situation is. What if a woman was in an abusive relationship and was seeking treatment and her husband getting a message from a doctor's office would cause him to freak out?

There could be any number of LEGITIMATE reasons. Seems to me that's one of the reasons behind HIPPA laws (pain in the arse they may be at times).

I must be in the minority but my dh has access to my medical records if he so chooses. I have no secrets. I am a nurse and I feel it is important he knows my history in the event I can't speak for myself.

That's true too. And we all should have a Health Care Power of Attorney with someone designated to make these decisions, while we are at it.

Some of them think it's an emergency on their wallet though. My husband just left a practice because they insisted on 2 follow ups after a physical (where there were no health conditions found, and my husband doesn't take any medications).

I'm not saying that's the case, but who knows.

This is exactly the case. *Exactly.* I did not have surgery. I have no life threatening illness. My dr. just loves to run extra tests, run tests again (and again), 'just to check' and 'just in case', if something is the *slightest* bit off absolute normal. Then, she wants a follow-up visit to review the results. Then she wants me to repeat the test to *make sure* the good result is still good, then have a follow up visit to discuss that. It's just TOO MUCH, and unnecessary. I don't have the time or money for that, told her so at my last appt, and the office STILL kept calling.

Obviously this is not the popular position, but i thought it would be nice to provide a different perspective. Seriously, i think the most important point hasn't been discussed. Your reasons are your own...I don't need or want to know them. But if your relationship requires you to hide things like the doctor's appointment, then perhaps we all need to dismount from that high horse and get on our knees and pray for you both. I truly mean that in a gentle way. I am sorry if you are having to live in what sounds like a difficult situation. Have a blessed day.

Wow.

Interesting first post on our forum. Welcome. :glare:

Your 'assumptions' as to why my privacy wishes are what they are concerning my medical care are wrong. The reasons do not require perfect strangers, such as yourself, to pray for dh and I.

If any of my friends on the forum wanted to know the reason, and pm'd me, I'd be happy to share it with them. But I didn't post it because a) it's not pertinent to my reason for posting and b) it's just not the business of random people I've never spoken with on the forum here. Like yourself.

Regarding other posts, I have no intention of suing, nor even of filing a HIPAA complaint. After looking at the HIPAA requirements online, they did not violate HIPAA policy. Which doesn't make me any less upset.

But they sure lost themselves a patient, since they did not follow the wishes I made sure to share with them regarding my care. If following HIPAA guidelines is all they're worried about, then they're fine. But if respecting their patients is important to them, then they have some improving to do.

And I appreciate the suggestions regarding being careful who I list as an emergency contact in the future, and will be sure to remember that when filling out paperwork at my new doctor's office.

Edited by bethanyniez

This is exactly the case. *Exactly.* I did not have surgery. I have no life threatening illness. My dr. just loves to run extra tests, run tests again (and again), 'just to check' and 'just in case', if something is the *slightest* bit off absolute normal. Then, she wants a follow-up visit to review the results. Then she wants me to repeat the test to *make sure* the good result is still good, then have a follow up visit to discuss that. It's just TOO MUCH, and unnecessary. I don't have the time or money for that, told her so at my last appt, and the office STILL kept calling.

<snip>

Regarding other posts, I have no intention of suing, nor even of filing a HIPAA complaint. After looking at the HIPAA requirements online, they did not violate HIPAA policy. Which doesn't make me any less upset.

But they sure lost themselves a patient, since they did not follow the wishes I made sure to share with them regarding my care. If following HIPAA guidelines is all they're worried about, then they're fine. But if respecting their patients is important to them, then they have some improving to do.

And I appreciate the suggestions regarding being careful who I list as an emergency contact in the future, and will be sure to remember that when filling out paperwork at my new doctor's office.

Ah, so it's not just the office staff, it's the doc herself. Right, then, it's surely time to shake the dust from your sandals and move along. Hope you find a really terrific new doctor.

:iagree::iagree: Yup. I'd still report it even if you get a groveling apology.

It can't hurt to file the claim with Health and Human Services. I agree that there might not be enough info in the OP to tell for sure whether there was an actual violation, but in any case, it SHOULD be investigated and taken care of if there was.

And I like the idea about not adding a contact when you find your new doctor. If they press, you can explain that it's not about them, but that you've had some bad experiences at another office and feel uncomfortable sharing that sort of information now.