Menu

HELP: if you ever put dish soap in a dishwasher

I *accidentally* squirted liquid dish soap into my dishwasher instead of d/w detergent. I caught my mistake, but the liquid had already slid in (noticed it wasn't as thick). I *mistakenly* thought, "So, how bad can it get?" and started the washer.

Five minutes later, as I march my kids in to see what they should NEVER do (everything is a learning opportunity, right?) -- namely a mound of bubbles squirting out of the washer onto the floor.

Good news -- the bubbles got rid of the resistant gunk on the floor from the old d/w. Bad news -- no clue what to do now.

I'm thinking wait for the bubbles to die down then let it drain -- but how do you tell a d/w to drain?

What say you, hive?

I *accidentally* squirted liquid dish soap into my dishwasher instead of d/w detergent. I caught my mistake, but the liquid had already slid in (noticed it wasn't as thick). I *mistakenly* thought, "So, how bad can it get?" and started the washer.

Five minutes later, as I march my kids in to see what they should NEVER do (everything is a learning opportunity, right?) -- namely a mound of bubbles squirting out of the washer onto the floor.

This happened to me years ago after I first got married when my dh was trying to be helpful. I came home to find the kitchen floor a couple of inches deep with bubbles. By the time I arrived home, the dishwasher had finished running. (Dh sat in the other room engrossed in the football game completely oblivious to what was going on in the kitchen. )

The dishwasher continued to squirt out bubbles for a few more washings, but nothing significant enough to accumulate on the kitchen floor. The dishwasher did not appear to be damaged at all by the blunder.

This :iagree:

But I needed to run it 3 times with vinegar before it got all the suds out. DD17 turned her brain off and filled the ENTIRE soap cup with dishwashing soap....

Ds11 will be happy to hear a 17 year old GIRL ;) did this too.

When ds did it we opened it up and scooped out the bubbles....It was a lot of work. Later my mom told me I could have used vinegar.

I am so sorry. I can easily imagine myself doing this on a low-sleep day.

If it makes you feel any better:

My dh had been using an old laundry detergent bottle to store used motor oil until he took it to the recycling center. Yeah, that didn't end well.

Umm, is he still alive? I don't know wether to :lol: or just do this :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Snort. Yes he is still alive. He was so upset with himself that I didn't say a word.

It was our very first clothes washer that we owned. It was a gift from my mom as a housewarming gift. She got us a fancy front loader. We had a second baby on the way and I needed to stop going to the laundry mat.

So, yeah, he was traumatized. :lol: He still talks about it as one of the stupidest things he has ever done...says it will be good practice for when we have two teenage boys.

Not much oil got in the machine. He realized what he had done the moment the first glug came out of the bottle and stopped right away. He wiped out as much as possible then ran the machine empty with soap and very hot water. No damage done. Phew! But the look oh his face when he told me....

Cleaning the kitchen is usually dh's thing. He didn't get a chance last night -- I was trying to *help* him. :tongue_smilie:

Since I rarely run the dishwasher, I didn't notice the I'd grabbed the wrong soap jug from under the sink (same shape, different color, but he'd just switched brands, yes he does the shopping as well), and of course FILLED both cups with dish soap. Ugh!

I've got a migraine and a 3yo who woke up on the hour every hour last night as excuses for my stupidity. :lol: Luckily I was in the kitchen making the kids lunch when I started the dishwasher, so I caught it early. I scooped out what I could, but a pan where it poured out, and kept bailing. :lol: 3yo ds thought it was the best...thing...ever! I probably bailed about 5 gallons of bubbles. :p

Of course, I was out of both olive oil and vinegar (well, had 2 Tb of oil and 1/2 cup of seasoned vinegar). Tossed the oil in -- no change (just not enough). poured the vinegar and salt in -- bubbles decreased but still poured out. I opened the d/w to a wall of bubbles. In desperation, I grabbed a spray bottle of Pam. There's minimal oil in it, but I thought maybe the emulsifiers would help? Spayed a layer everywhere, maybe 10 second worth total, so really not much. Closed the door (d/w continued) and....no...more...bubbles!!!

I've attached 2 pics for your entertainment. Thanks everyone! :)

post-22593-13535085628208_thumb.jpg

post-22593-1353508562832_thumb.jpg

Cleaning the kitchen is usually dh's thing. He didn't get a chance last night -- I was trying to *help* him. :tongue_smilie:

Since I rarely run the dishwasher, I didn't notice the I'd grabbed the wrong soap jug from under the sink (same shape, different color, but he'd just switched brands, yes he does the shopping as well), and of course FILLED both cups with dish soap. Ugh!

I've got a migraine and a 3yo who woke up on the hour every hour last night as excuses for my stupidity. :lol: Luckily I was in the kitchen making the kids lunch when I started the dishwasher, so I caught it early. I scooped out what I could, but a pan where it poured out, and kept bailing. :lol: 3yo ds thought it was the best...thing...ever! I probably bailed about 5 gallons of bubbles. :p

Of course, I was out of both olive oil and vinegar (well, had 2 Tb of oil and 1/2 cup of seasoned vinegar). Tossed the oil in -- no change (just not enough). poured the vinegar and salt in -- bubbles decreased but still poured out. I opened the d/w to a wall of bubbles. In desperation, I grabbed a spray bottle of Pam. There's minimal oil in it, but I thought maybe the emulsifiers would help? Spayed a layer everywhere, maybe 10 second worth total, so really not much. Closed the door (d/w continued) and....no...more...bubbles!!!

I've attached 2 pics for your entertainment. Thanks everyone! :)

I had about 10 times that many bubbles! It was ALL over my kitchen floor. I FREAKED out. But called dh and he was 'oh, no problem.' So I just opend the door and started scooping bubbles out. Then I would start the dishwasher again for a minute and then scoop some more. It took about 1/2 dozen times of that and bubbles stopped.

I had about 10 times that many bubbles! It was ALL over my kitchen floor. I FREAKED out. But called dh and he was 'oh, no problem.' So I just opend the door and started scooping bubbles out. Then I would start the dishwasher again for a minute and then scoop some more. It took about 1/2 dozen times of that and bubbles stopped.

:iagree: When I did that (one and only time, lol, my first time using a dishwasher in college), we took pics, laughed hysterically, and just scooped up the suds.

I did this before ON PURPOSE! I seriously didn't know that substituting liquid dish soap for dishwasher detergent would be a problem. I ended up scooping all the bubbles out and putting them in the kitchen sink. I managed to wash them down the drain as they died down. Won't make that mistake again!

It also reminds me of a story my parents have told me about a hotel overnight they took for their anniversary when I was a kid. The hotel room had a really big bath tub with jets and they thought it would be a good idea to put some bubble bath in it. It made so many bubbles that they had to pull the shower curtain across in the separate shower and throw the bubbles over the top of the curtain until the inside of the stall was full just to get rid of them!

Crazy bubble problems apparently run in my family. :tongue_smilie:

:lol: So cute.

I was lucky I was in the kitchen when the "fun" started. I just kept dumping the pan of bubbles into the sink. If I hadn't been there, it would have been a lot worse (probably would have covered the whole kitchen floor easily).

Ds said, "I watch! Bubbles FUN!" and sat there playing with the bubbles and would call me when the pan started overflowing. :lol: All I wanted to do was lay down for a few minutes with my headache, but nope -- bubble patrol duty calls! I could have stopped the d/w and dealt with it later, but I was really trying to get it cleaned up before dh got home (it was a tie, and he had stopped at Costco, so now we have vinegar and olive oil again. :D )

BTW, I put a drop of bubble bath in a hotel jaccuzi tub -- I have a pic and all you could see is my eyes.