Menu

I need recipes with Turmeric

I make a variation of mesir wat, an Ethiopian lentil soup/stew, that calls for turmeric. I've put turmeric in lots of curry dishes as well. Here's the stew recipe:

Chop/puree 1 large onion, 2 (or more) cloves garlic, 2 tsp fresh ginger, set aside.

Heat 1/4 cup oil in pot. Add 1 tsp turmeric, 2 tblsp paprika, and heat until oil is colored and spices are heated (about 1 minute).

Add onion, garlic, and ginger, saute until golden. Add 1 cup chopped carrots or whatever other veggies you like. Then add approx 2 cups rinsed lentils and several cups of stock or broth. Boil and simmer until lentils are tender, about 30 min. Add more stock as you wish.

I like this sauce served over rice or with flatbread:

1-2 Tbsp oil

1 T black mustard seeds

1 tsp cumin seed

1 tsp turmeric

1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

1/3 cup minced shallots or scallions or onions

1/2 cup water

2 cups yogurt

1 tsp salt

Heat the oil and the mustard seeds in a small pot over medium-high heat till the mustard seeds have mostly popped (keep the lid on). Lower the heat and to medium and add the spices and shallots and stir-fry for a few minutes till the shallots have softened a bit. Add the water, then whisk in the yogurt. After it's combined well and the sauce is smooth, stir in the salt. Heat gently till the sauce is warm (don't boil).

This is one of my favorite easy fish recipes.

1 lb fish

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp pepper

1 tsp turmeric

1/2 c coconut milk

Mix the salt and fresh pepper and rub on the fish. Mix the turmeric and coconut milk and rub on the fish. Bake or cook or grill the fish. I like to cook it on the stove with plenty of coconut-turmeric milk, but if you're grilling, you'll only need half as much. This is wonderful with jasmine rice and stir-fried greens.

Both of the above recipes are from Mangoes and Curry Leaves.

And this shashlyk is easy and delicious, but doesn't have lots of turmeric:

2 pounds chicken, cut into 1-inch pieces

1 cup plain yogurt

1 T minced garlic

1/2 tsp turmeric

1/4 tsp cayenne

1 tsp salt

1/2 c mint leaves, minced (use kitchen shears)

Combine everything (adding the chicken last) and refrigerate at least 3 hours. Thread onto skewers and cook in whatever manner is handy for you. I broil them on high, about 5 inches from the broiler element, for 7-10 minutes.

Other than that, I add turmeric to curries and pilafs and other rice dishes. Lots of Indian dishes use turmeric too.

We already eat very healthy, but are trying to add specific things that have/might have anti-cancer properties. We want to add turmeric to our diet, but I've never used it and don't know what kind of recipes to add it to. What does it taste like? Any favorite recipes?

We just add a heaping spoonful to a small glass -- maybe 3 or 4 ounces -- of kefir. If you don't like the taste, you can buy capsules of tumeric, I believe.

I like this sauce served over rice or with flatbread:

1-2 Tbsp oil

1 T black mustard seeds

1 tsp cumin seed

1 tsp turmeric

1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

1/3 cup minced shallots or scallions or onions

1/2 cup water

2 cups yogurt

1 tsp salt

Heat the oil and the mustard seeds in a small pot over medium-high heat till the mustard seeds have mostly popped (keep the lid on). Lower the heat and to medium and add the spices and shallots and stir-fry for a few minutes till the shallots have softened a bit. Add the water, then whisk in the yogurt. After it's combined well and the sauce is smooth, stir in the salt. Heat gently till the sauce is warm (don't boil).

This is one of my favorite easy fish recipes.

1 lb fish

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp pepper

1 tsp turmeric

1/2 c coconut milk

Mix the salt and fresh pepper and rub on the fish. Mix the turmeric and coconut milk and rub on the fish. Bake or cook or grill the fish. I like to cook it on the stove with plenty of coconut-turmeric milk, but if you're grilling, you'll only need half as much. This is wonderful with jasmine rice and stir-fried greens.

Both of the above recipes are from Mangoes and Curry Leaves.

And this shashlyk is easy and delicious, but doesn't have lots of turmeric:

2 pounds chicken, cut into 1-inch pieces

1 cup plain yogurt

1 T minced garlic

1/2 tsp turmeric

1/4 tsp cayenne

1 tsp salt

1/2 c mint leaves, minced (use kitchen shears)

Combine everything (adding the chicken last) and refrigerate at least 3 hours. Thread onto skewers and cook in whatever manner is handy for you. I broil them on high, about 5 inches from the broiler element, for 7-10 minutes.

Other than that, I add turmeric to curries and pilafs and other rice dishes. Lots of Indian dishes use turmeric too.

Thanks for these recipes! Especially the shashlyk. We had Armenian visitors several years ago and they made shashlyk for us out in the country at a lake. :) I've always wanted to try an authentic recipe. I make some good shish kabobs, but they aren't the same as the ones our visitors made. I'll have to try this.

I use to make turnip fries with turmeric. I think they were OK. My kids were young and so we had some complaints from them but the adults liked them well enough.

It was simple....olive oil, turmeric and seasoning salt. Roast until crispy on outside but tender in the middle

Homemade Goldfish Crackers

1 1/2 cups mashed sweet potato (about 2 medium)

3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

1 cup extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (or any other cheese you like)

1/4 cup softened butter (NOT melted)

1 1/2 cups Whole Wheat flour

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon Turmeric

1/4 cup half-and-half or whole milk

Directions:

Cut sweet potatoes into thirds. Boil sweet potatoes for 30-40 minutes until easily pierced with a fork. Drain water and remove skin with a fork or tongs. Keeping the skin on while cooking retains vitamins. Mash with a fork till smooth.

Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine the cheese, butter, sweet potato puree, flour, and salt in a stand mixer.

Mix on a medium speed until the mixture forms a sandy consistency. Add the half-and-half and knead into a ball. Do not over knead. On a lightly floured surface roll the dough into a rectangle that is 1/8-inch thick. Cut out crackers into desired shape.

Gently transfer the strips to a parchment paper lined cookie sheet with a 1/4-inch between them.

Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the ends are barely browned. Remove from the oven and transfer to a cooling rack to cool.

Best eaten fresh -- they don't keep well. The original recipe says the dough freezes well, but i haven't tried that.

We love Corn Relish! I haven't tried the second recipe, but have been meaning to.

Corn Relish

5 cups fresh whole kernel corn (8-10 medium sized ears) or

3-10 ounce packages of frozen corn

2-1/2 cups diced peppers

1/3 cup diced onion

2 cups sugar

2 ½ cups cider vinegar

1-1/4 Tablespoon canning salt

1 teaspoon celery seed

1-1/4 teaspoon dry mustard

¾ teaspoon turmeric

1) Boil ears of corn 5 minutes. Dip in cold water. Cut whole kernels from cob.

2) Combine peppers, onions, sugar, vinegar, salt, and celery seed in a saucepan. Bring to boil and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

3) Mix mustard and turmeric in ½ cup of the simmered mixture. Add this mixture and the corn to the hot mixture. Simmer another 5 minutes.

4) If desired, thicken mixture with flour paste (1/4 cup flour blended in ¼ cup water) and stir frequently.

5) Fill jars with hot mixture, leaving ½ inch headspace. Process 15 minutes in boiling water canner.

Corn Relish

Ingredients

• 1 large red bell pepper
  • 1/4 cup cider vinegar
  • 3 tablespoons real maple syrup
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
  • 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 3 (10 ounce) packages frozen corn kernels, thawed and drained
  • 1/2 cup chopped green onions

Directions

1. Roast the red pepper over a gas flame or under the broiler until blackened on all sides. Remove from heat and seal in a paper bag and let stand for 10 minutes. Peel, seed and chop.

2. In a large bowl combine the vinegar, maple syrup, hot pepper sauce, ground tumeric and salt. Gradually whisk in the oil. Add the chopped red pepper, thawed corn and green onions. Toss to coat. Cover a refrigerate overnight, stirring occasionally. Can be made up to 3 days ahead of time. Let relish stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving.