Menu

What is your favourite student daily planner?

This thread is running on the K-8 board, but the planner which is favored there, would not be detailed enough for the Highschool level. My favorite is NARHS Daily Log Book

http://www.narhs.org/store/cart.php?target=product&product_id=1&category_id=1

Unfortunately they don't show a sample page so you can see how it is laid out. There are boxes for the hours logged, which the student carries forward from page to page, space to list 9 subjects with some detail on what was accomplished. A good design in my opinion.

:iagree: This is the one we are using.

This thread is running on the K-8 board, but the planner which is favored there, would not be detailed enough for the Highschool level. My favorite is NARHS Daily Log Book

http://www.narhs.org/store/cart.php?target=product&product_id=1&category_id=1

Unfortunately they don't show a sample page so you can see how it is laid out. There are boxes for the hours logged, which the student carries forward from page to page, space to list 9 subjects with some detail on what was accomplished. A good design in my opinion.

I always like the planner by Christian Liberty Press: CLASS Planner because we do a lot of separate classes and I use each side of the subject boxes for Individual subjects rather than writing details. This planner comes with any forms I've ever needed and it's always cheap on ebay.

The following links will take you to Christianbook.com and they give you a look inside the planners!

With that said this one looks very interesting for high school:

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=827002&netp_id=436496&event=ESRCN&item_code=WW&view=details

nd for elementary I'm going to try this one next year because it has boxes for Activities and boxes for added resources like books/movies/internet:

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=827001&netp_id=436495&event=ESRCN&item_code=WW&view=details#curr

I always like a planner that is simple to use!

Related question--do you keep your own planner of what you want your teen to accomplish (ie teacher's lesson plan book) and have your high schooler keep a planner of his work and activities? Or do you only use one? If only one, who mainly keeps it?

In response to Maverick:

Related question--do you keep your own planner of what you want your teen to accomplish (ie teacher's lesson plan book) and have your high schooler keep a planner of his work and activities? Or do you only use one? If only one, who mainly keeps it?

I always have a main planner which I fill out and use to keep us on track, tests scores etc. and DD always starts off well be keeping her own planner. By the end of the second quarter I usually wind up filling out a weekly schedule for her with daily goals. It's not just that she may be lazy it just gets overwhelming for her so rather than fight and struggle, I've just learned what works for her. I keep the planner and make a weekly schedule for her that is simple in form. (Read this, Do that, study for)

I'd love some more details on how this works. Everything we have tried has fallen by the wayside due to my "specific" situation not working within another well-designed framework.

My situation is not so odd - I just haven't found a "system" combined with a book that works for me.

But I *need* something!!!

Thanks in advance

lisaj - mom to 5

I do a weekly assignment sheet for each of my teens. My oldest checks and dates each assignment and then sticks it in a binder. My younger one transfers the information into this book after she completes each assignment:

http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/High+School+Homeschool+Daily+Planner/029491/1212427773-850032

She has been using it since the 8th grade and she loves it! My oldest just prefers to check and be done with it :glare:

What I've done (okay, I'm STILL doing it) is fill in a plan book, for me, with assignments, etc. (I've never been big on writing out plans before, but with two in high school, and two elementary kids, I need stuff laid out for me this year). For almost everything. It's just a run-of-the-mill, extra-long plan book.

Then, the two older kids each have a Homeschooler's High School Journal that they're going to sit down and fill in at the beginning of each week.

What I love about this journal is that it's able to be left somewhat open-ended; this means that our 'normal', scheduled subjects like science and maths can be written down in the traditional way (pg 10-12, etc.), but we can also fill in the non-traditional things we're doing, bubble in the day, and fill out an amount of time spent on it (there's an area marked in quarter hours), so that at the end of the semester, we can work up what equals a 'credit'.

It's important to me that the older kids keep (most of) their own records, it's important to me that we be allowed to still be somewhat relaxed in our method of schooling, it's important to me that we keep track of what we're doing, record-wise, as we go...and this planner/journal combines all of those. :D

And no, I'm not a paid spokesperson, LOL!

(ETA: When you click on the link, the High Schooler's Journal is the second one from the top, not the first one you see.)

I'd have to say my favorite daily planner would be one that is actually used!

We've tried several over the years; however, they are generally used for only a few weeks or a month before they are abandoned.

We've used (or should I say, "I've purchased"?) planners by Franklin Covey and Elan.

Regards,

Kareni

Each week in the NARHS organizer is a 2 page spread. There are nine columns for the subjects. Space to write in notes under each subject for each day. A box on each day & subject is the space to record the time spent on that subject. At the end of each week, the total time spent for each subject is tallied, and added to the carried forward totals. At the front is a page to record the marks obtained on each test for each subject. The book also has grading and record keeping suggestions at the front. It is well designed and easy to use. The only problem is the spiral binding which tends to permit pages to fall off. Hope that helps.

Heather

For this current year (finishing up), I significantly changed what I've been using for years, and I tweaked them some for fall.

I did use the Homeschooler's Journal for awhile, but hated writing in the names of the subjects AGAIN. And it was more boxes than I needed, and there weren't enough pages for some things and too many pages for other things. Maybe I'm just too picky.

My forms are on an Excel spreadsheet because those are the easiest for me to manipulate: make "boxes", change column width and row height, center any text, and so on.

I copy them on colored paper, a different color for each dc. They love it.

There are four main sections: assignments, reading list, outside activities (educational and social), and notes for Mom.

I don't have a blog, so my forms aren't posted anywhere, but I don't mind emailing them if anyone is interested.

I use Edu-Track and prefer it because it can track everything you all are talking about and print out lesson plans by day, week, month and you can even put yearly plans into it. It has places to keep track of your curriculum, the books you've read, the field trips you've taken, your grades, your hours in school and attendance. It prints out two versions of a transcript, one listing courses by years, one by subjects, it can print out grade cards and diplomas. It's much easier for me to just type in what I need and print it out.

• 2 months later...

I don't suppose anyone has an image of the inside of the NARS planner they could send me? My daughter wants something particular inside.... if you have an image, could you pretty please email it to me?

sueforsythe at verizon dot net.

I sooooooooooo appreciate it!

Sue