Menu

iPad Required for High School?

Just found out that the local classical school requires all high school students to have iPads. That struck me as odd, but maybe it isn't.

The school's reasoning was that reading material could be delivered to the iPad, and students could use it to take notes and record lectures.

Is it common for private schools to require iPads? Would it be truly advantageous for a high school student to have one? Is this a gimmick?

Just found out that the local classical school requires all high school students to have iPads. That struck me as odd, but maybe it isn't.

The school's reasoning was that reading material could be delivered to the iPad, and students could use it to take notes and record lectures.

Is it common for private schools to require iPads? Would it be truly advantageous for a high school student to have one? Is this a gimmick?

A local fancy-schmancy school that my daughter shadowed at and seriously considered required all students to have Mac books.

I considered it a negative, actually. I mean, what kid ISN'T competent on a computer these days. But at this school, the kids had their noses stuck in their laptops 24/7. They were rude too. She didn't go there.

YMMV

I personally wouldn't like it. I see no reason why they can't let kids use regular computers if they want to send documents or whatever to them via the internet for reading. Students who need to take notes with a laptop should be able to use one and not be restricted to only an ipad. Kids without laptops should learn to take notes using paper & pen. I'm a fairly good typist but I am not so good at typing on a touch screen. I don't find it anything like typing on a regular keyboard. Also, I'm not sure why kids would need to record lectures. For any kids who did, they should be encouraged to find whatever works best for them.

I wouldn't be impressed with that school at all.

ETA: If they are wanting the kids to use the ipads to read books instead of buying them, I would find that strange too. Not everyone likes reading ebooks for school.

That is doing kids a disservice.

There are many professors in the world still who do not permit students to record lectures without a note from the ADA office. A student who got through high school dependent upon that technique as a crutch for note taking despite not having a disability could have trouble in certain college courses!

Yes, it is easier than ever to audio/videotape clandestinely, and for that reason, a few holdouts still ban any visible electronics from their classrooms. (that, and students surfing and texting in class has become a huge annoyance).

Not a gimmick. My school requires iPads for all high school students as well. We have no physical textbooks. All of them are online, interactive textbooks now. No more heavy back packs for the kids and we have a wealth of resources at our fingertips. It saves money and trees and it is the 21st century... Technology is the name of the game.

All the good international schools in SE Asia area going 1 to 1 either with laptops or iPads.

If you are interested in the whys behind the choice you can read here: http://www.dalat.org/j2/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=669&Itemid=495

Edited by Heather in NC

I have heard that many colleges are now requiring it.

Some private schools around here issue out Macbooks and then allow the students to purchase them for half price at the end of the year.

By the time my kids are in college I am quite sure it will be required (laptop or ipad.)

Dawn

I work in classrooms at a state college. Many professors ban laptops in the classroom (unless vetted by Disability Services), because the students are more likely to be checking Facebook than taking notes. If I'm sitting behind the students and see their screens, I can see that the professors are right in their concern about Facebook. It's a huge distraction.

Answers to some of the questions here.

(1) No, no other tablet is allowed. They want them all to be the same to make support easier.

(2) Parents have to buy the iPads. They can buy them through the school or on their own.

Some have mentioned this, and I agree: Why the iPad over a laptop? It seems like a laptop would be much easier for taking notes and writing papers. Sure, you could use the iPad keyboard dock, but it would be tough to curl up on the couch with a keyboard dock.

Edited by Parker Martin

One of the special ed school in this area is trying to require them for preschool students. Don't know what they are thinking.

I may be incorrect with regard to this particular school but I just wanted to let others know what the iPad can do for families of special needs children. Some children with disabilities such as autism and Down Syndrome and CP cannot communicate verbally. There are devices out there that will show a digital PECS card (Picture Exchange Communication System) AND speak the word or phrase at the same time. Such devices are anywhere from $7,000 - 10,000. It is often very difficult to have school districts and insurance companies purchase such devices for these individuals. Everyone deserves a voice . . . I am very blessed that my son speaks. Anyway, the iPad, fitted with a $200 app will do essentially the same thing. The least expensive iPad and this program can give a nonverbal individual a way to communicate for $700.00. That is still expensive, but nothing compared to $7000. I think these devices will revolutionize assisted technology for those with disabilities. I have a friend with an adult daughter with CP and they just purchased the iPad2 and the program and their daughter is able to communicate in ways she has never been able to. She would often act out when frustrated because she could not communicate with her family. Everyone is so excited about this new technology and the price, while still expensive, is much more attainable . . .

ETA the iPad can be outfitted with one of special cases (such as the Otterbox) to help add extra protection in case the device is dropped. Because my son with autism is clumsy (as am I!) at times we have our in an Otterbox . . . it makes the device heavier, but that is okay as it has survived being dropped a couple of times already . . . any school which provides such devices to special needs children would be wise to consider such cases.

Edited by jelbe5

One of the special ed school in this area is trying to require them for preschool students. Don't know what they are thinking.

"What they are thinking" is about how the use of an iPad has changed many special needs kids' lives - it's opened up a world of (among other things) communication and interaction with the rest of the world around them that wasn't there (or barely) before.

That made me all teary eyed. :grouphug:

I may be incorrect with regard to this particular school but I just wanted to let others know what the iPad can do for families of special needs children. Some children with disabilities such as autism and Down Syndrome and CP cannot communicate verbally. There are devices out there that will show a digital PECS card (Picture Exchange Communication System) AND speak the word or phrase at the same time. Such devices are anywhere from $7,000 - 10,000. It is often very difficult to have school districts and insurance companies purchase such devices for these individuals. Everyone deserves a voice . . . I am very blessed that my son speaks. Anyway, the iPad, fitted with a $200 app will do essentially the same thing. The least expensive iPad and this program can give a nonverbal individual a way to communicate for $700.00. That is still expensive, but nothing compared to $7000. I think these devices will revolutionize assisted technology for those with disabilities. I have a friend with an adult daughter with CP and they just purchased the iPad2 and the program and their daughter is able to communicate in ways she has never been able to. She would often act out when frustrated because she could not communicate with her family. Everyone is so excited about this new technology and the price, while still expensive, is much for attainable . . .

ETA the iPad can be outfitted with one of special cases (such as the Otterbox) to help add extra protection in case the device is dropped. Because my son with autism is clumsy (as am I!) at times we have our in an Otterbox . . . it makes the device heavier, but that is okay as it has survived being dropped a couple of times already . . . any school which provides such devices to special needs children would be wise to consider such cases.

Heather, which iPad is the Dalat program using?

More broadly, what level of iPad do iPad owners recommend? Does one need more than 16GB for smooth performance? (Does it make a difference if one is never going to play games on it?)

Not that I can buy one right now. I'm typing on a laptop that a company sent to me for free as part of a beta test. :tongue_smilie:

ETA: And really, not that I'll ever buy one. I still don't understand the no keyboard thing.

I may be incorrect with regard to this particular school but I just wanted to let others know what the iPad can do for families of special needs children. Some children with disabilities such as autism and Down Syndrome and CP cannot communicate verbally. There are devices out there that will show a digital PECS card (Picture Exchange Communication System) AND speak the word or phrase at the same time. Such devices are anywhere from $7,000 - 10,000. It is often very difficult to have school districts and insurance companies purchase such devices for these individuals. Everyone deserves a voice . . . I am very blessed that my son speaks. Anyway, the iPad, fitted with a $200 app will do essentially the same thing. The least expensive iPad and this program can give a nonverbal individual a way to communicate for $700.00. That is still expensive, but nothing compared to $7000. I think these devices will revolutionize assisted technology for those with disabilities. I have a friend with an adult daughter with CP and they just purchased the iPad2 and the program and their daughter is able to communicate in ways she has never been able to. She would often act out when frustrated because she could not communicate with her family. Everyone is so excited about this new technology and the price, while still expensive, is much more attainable . . .

I had my reply window open too long LOL ~ your detailed reply is much better than mine. :D

Heather, which iPad is the Dalat program using?

More broadly, what level of iPad do iPad owners recommend? Does one need more than 16GB for smooth performance? (Does it make a difference if one is never going to play games on it?)

Not that I can buy one right now. I'm typing on a laptop that a company sent to me for free as part of a beta test. :tongue_smilie:

ETA: And really, not that I'll ever buy one. I still don't understand the no keyboard thing.

We are starting with the iPad 2 for the roll out then moving to iPad 3 when it comes out... 32 gig I think. That is more than enough.

The on screen keyboard is easy to use but kids are welcome to use an external keyboard as well. Many of the covers come with a keyboard... I like the clam case the best.

And the whole cover thing is part of the fun. The kids pick their own and it's part of their "identity". In a school with uniforms, they don't get that opportunity often.

I can see the value and benefit of it. I am just concerned that in our area it is going to become another have and have not situation because we have a public school that is now requiring them but only for AP and Honors classes in high school. Since they will only be required for these "special" classes, they are not required by law to provide them. So, the only kids who can take AP or Honors classes in that school district are the kids whose parents can afford them. This kind of financial discrimination makes me see red. But, the snobs on the school board think it's fine. Grrrrr.....it's the same thing in our local school district. This year they required a special graphing calculator (they only allowed ONE make and model) that never went on sale for less than $108.00. If your parents couldn't afford it, you couldn't take tig/pre-calc or calc1.

We had a young man from our church who desperately wanted to take pre-calc because he wants to major in science in college and not take it as a remedial class in college. When a bunch of ladies on the mission's committe found out he had signed up for business math because his dad lost his job and they couldn't afford the calculator, you can bet we all split the cost and bought one for him. That kind of thing just gripes me.

So, again, I see the value and benefit if the school is providing them. But, if it is not being provided and then students are excluded from classes based on not having them, well, I've got major problems with that! :glare:

Faith

:iagree: The Ipad has made a world of difference to my son with selective mutism and my kids know more geography and all the states, capitals and the Presidents in order at a much earlier age than I did thanks to the Ipad and apps. I read that Steve Jobs was very pleased at the ways the Ipad had helped special needs kids.

Before the Ipad it was nearly impossible for a parent to afford AC devices unless someone else picked up the tab.

If it's a special Ed class, they may be using them as augmentive communications devices. There are a lot of new apps being developed to allow iPads to do the job of communication boards. They are much easier for the kids to use, because of the touch screen technology and WAY less expensive than other boards on the market. The iPad has really revolutionized the augmentive communication world.

My problem with this has nothing to do with the iPad itself. It's a great tool. It's a good idea to have students have the same device and to make use of it - and there are lots of uses.

But, I've now seen a couple of videos about iPad use in the classroom and how "cutting edge" it was. And... not really. What a disappointment in the ways it was used. One thing I saw had a math teacher who had set up a program that allowed him to input all his problems for the students. They were multiple choice. Then, as they went, he showed the kids the answers on a screen. That was it. And he was bragging about how quickly it graded for him. Yeah, but how long did it take you to put in the questions in the first place? They were his and not automatically generated. And, really, you're going to use this high tech stuff to get kids to have more "buy in" (which he kept talking about) to answer rote multiple choice math questions? I saw another one where a teacher was using it for a slide show. That's it. Just a slide show.

I guess it was just hard for me to accept that they were doing things that, frankly, could easily have been done before and acting like they were super cutting edge just because they'd managed to find a way to do them on the iPad. In other words, instead of expanding the teaching methods, they were a crutch to continue doing really flat ones and expecting better "buy in" or better results simply by virtue of the fact that it was an iPad.

My problem with this has nothing to do with the iPad itself. It's a great tool. It's a good idea to have students have the same device and to make use of it - and there are lots of uses.

But, I've now seen a couple of videos about iPad use in the classroom and how "cutting edge" it was. And... not really. What a disappointment in the ways it was used. One thing I saw had a math teacher who had set up a program that allowed him to input all his problems for the students. They were multiple choice. Then, as they went, he showed the kids the answers on a screen. That was it. And he was bragging about how quickly it graded for him. Yeah, but how long did it take you to put in the questions in the first place? They were his and not automatically generated. And, really, you're going to use this high tech stuff to get kids to have more "buy in" (which he kept talking about) to answer rote multiple choice math questions? I saw another one where a teacher was using it for a slide show. That's it. Just a slide show.

I guess it was just hard for me to accept that they were doing things that, frankly, could easily have been done before and acting like they were super cutting edge just because they'd managed to find a way to do them on the iPad. In other words, instead of expanding the teaching methods, they were a crutch to continue doing really flat ones and expecting better "buy in" or better results simply by virtue of the fact that it was an iPad.

My dh and I have talked about how we are waiting for the program he uses on his computer in his classroom to come out with an app. He does spend extra time creating multiple choice questions to use during lectures so his students can input answers on their responders. It does give immediate feedback to his computer. Though there might be time upfront spent creating these slideshow "quizzes", it allows him to get pretty immediate feedback, during his lectures, as to who is understanding and who is not. It's not necessarily about saving time in grading after the fact, but mores that in a class of 42 students, he can get a very good feel for whether the majority of the class is understanding a topic, and also see if there was a particular part of the lecture that was not understood by the majority (because he can see the breakdown per question). Having an app on an iPad would be that much easier for him as it would be smaller than the interactive tablet he has to carry around now when he's lecturing (and from what I can remember, much cheaper, allowing more teachers to utilize the technology). Really, he would be spending about the same amount of prep time creating paper quizzes for his students, plus using up paper to print them, and spending an equal amount of time (at least) grading and recording them, plus would not be able to receive the same immediate feedback during his lecture but instead having to replace lecture time with quiz time doing it the old-fashioned way.

And "ditto" to what others have already written about iPads and special education. It is mind-blowing how in this short period of time the iPad has opened up the world to so many people with special needs. :)

I don't either. In one of my college classes last year, a young lady had an ipad. We sat at the same table, side by side, so I could see she wasn't goofing around on it. However, she couldn't keep up with the class just typing on the screen. I sometimes had to send her a copy of my notes at the end of class. I took notes on my laptop so I could just email her the document. I knew right then that I had no interest in that.

Maybe that school lets kids set up the keypads? Still, give me a decent sized laptop with a regular keyboard and big screen any old day. My laptop has a 13.3 in screen size (smaller than I'm used to but very serviceable) and the ipad is only 9.7 in. I guess I'm old. :)

I think all textbooks as ebooks is not good. I would have to buy my own copies of some of them. I love reading ebooks, but not textbooks. My ADD self cannot wrap my brain around the format. If a hard print copy wasn't available, I would have to print out pages. That just makes me sick to my stomach.

One thing I saw had a math teacher who had set up a program that allowed him to input all his problems for the students. They were multiple choice.

That is my major complaint with the online high school we use. It's all online so math quizzes and exams are all multiple choice. It bugs me because if my children don't remember how to get the answer, it's fairly easy to work backwards to get the answer. I make sure my children do every homework problem by writing it out and they only get one answer. If the answer is incorrect they have to rework it. By having multiple choices, they can tweak it until they figure out what the answer is. My math tests in college were definitely not multiple choice.

The private high school that my dd attends is piloting the IPad this year and will be using it next year in their classes. I'm dreading it because the school will set their (expensive) price for each "book" and I'll have no choice but to pay it (unlike getting cheap books on Amazon). But other than financially, I see the benefits of using it.

Currently, when the kids write a research paper, they have to use the school's databases so that the teachers that check against plagarism, etc. At first, my dd found it restrictive, but I can see where it's easier for them to check the validity of the papers and stop the plagarism. Access to the internet would be of benefit to the science classes in particular - there's so much out there that's not in a typical textbook.

Answers to some of the questions here.

(1) No, no other tablet is allowed. They want them all to be the same to make support easier.

(2) Parents have to buy the iPads. They can buy them through the school or on their own.

Some have mentioned this, and I agree: Why the iPad over a laptop? It seems like a laptop would be much easier for taking notes and writing papers. Sure, you could use the iPad keyboard dock, but it would be tough to curl up on the couch with a keyboard dock.

Or even over another, much cheaper tablet?

Answer, because it's about getting Apple products into the hands of future consumers. :glare:

Windows is guilty of that as well but as least you aren't tied to one, very expensive, hardware manufacturer.

The private high school that my dd attends is piloting the IPad this year and will be using it next year in their classes. I'm dreading it because the school will set their (expensive) price for each "book" and I'll have no choice but to pay it (unlike getting cheap books on Amazon). But other than financially, I see the benefits of using it.

Currently, when the kids write a research paper, they have to use the school's databases so that the teachers that check against plagarism, etc. At first, my dd found it restrictive, but I can see where it's easier for them to check the validity of the papers and stop the plagarism. Access to the internet would be of benefit to the science classes in particular - there's so much out there that's not in a typical textbook.

The thing that gets me though is the IPad is the most expensive choice for these things. There's nothing inherent in the IPad that an Android tablet or Windows laptop can't do for much, much cheaper.

Or even over another, much cheaper tablet?

Answer, because it's about getting Apple products into the hands of future consumers. :glare:

Windows is guilty of that as well but as least you aren't tied to one, very expensive, hardware manufacturer.

As much as we love our Galaxy Tab, there are more apps for the ipad than android systems and the two aren't compatible. So schools do need to pick one or the other and Apple has been great in supporting public schools with technology grants and steep discounts on products so the district picks the more popular provider that it already uses.

This is a public school?

No. Our local classical school is a private school. It's not terribly expensive though compared to other schools--about $3500/year.

The thing that gets me though is the IPad is the most expensive choice for these things.

I guess that is one aspect I don't understand as well. I think of Apple products as luxury products. They're beautiful but also more expensive up front and more expensive to service and support. Makes me wonder about school officials being too into consumerism. Just like the local spending on super fancy new schools as is happening around here. Regular buildings aren't good enough anymore. Every school has to look like a palace. So they can't just have laptops or Kindles or tablets, they must have iPads.

Not a gimmick. My school requires iPads for all high school students as well. We have no physical textbooks. All of them are online, interactive textbooks now. No more heavy back packs for the kids and we have a wealth of resources at our fingertips. It saves money and trees and it is the 21st century... Technology is the name of the game.

All the good international schools in SE Asia area going 1 to 1 either with laptops or iPads.

If you are interested in the whys behind the choice you can read here: http://www.dalat.org/j2/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=669&Itemid=495

Wouldn't any eReader do if it's just for texts?

Also, it's one thing for a parent to put out a certain amount a year vs putting out hundreds up front. Some of us just would not be able to do that.

No. Our local classical school is a private school. It's not terribly expensive though compared to other schools--about $3500/year.

I guess that is one aspect I don't understand as well. I think of Apple products as luxury products. They're beautiful but also more expensive up front and more expensive to service and support. Makes me wonder about school officials being too into consumerism. Just like the local spending on super fancy new schools as is happening around here. Regular buildings aren't good enough anymore. Every school has to look like a palace. So they can't just have laptops or Kindles or tablets, they must have iPads.

:iagree:

I wish they would do it here! Kids here have to buy their textbooks, the ebooks are so much cheaper that an iPad would pay for itself easily in the highschool years, not to mention its much lighter to carry!

I agree. It's where we are going technologically. We are kind of backwards as a country still requiring notebooks and textbooks. By the time they are published and distributed they are obsolete. It's about time we get on board.

If the iPad is cheaper than textbooks, then why aren't the schools providing them just as they did textbooks? My son's cyber school requires a laptop and they provide it...they also lock it down. They provide iPads for those that need it (not sure which groups those are). btw, they also provide brand new texts to the students. Gee, as a highschooler in the 90's, we were using texts from the 70's.

A PS highschool not far from me is requiring a iPad 2 for every student next year. The cheapest iPad 2 (16 GB) is $900+!!! PS is not free in NZ, but adding an extra $1k to each student's school fees will be way beyond the means of most families. I'm glad that ds#2's highschool does not yet require iPads. He has only used computers 3-4 times all year in school, so iPads would not be needed IMHO.

Most PS here have apple computers / laptops in each classroom, but not enough for each student to have their own computer 100% of the day. Working in the local intermediate PS I see that students love to use the computers, but are unable to see how they can do their work when the network is down. Writing to them is 'cut & paste' from the internet!!! They are horrified when the first thing I do when I sub is to tell the class to turn off the computers :lol: I only allow computers if it is specifically required by plans left form the classroom teacher. The students seem to need to be entertained all day & Computers / laptops / iPads fill that need.

I would love to have an iPad, but am mature enought to see that it is only for entertainment. Everything I need / want to do, I can do with my old desktop or my netbook.

JMHO,

I think you'd need a 32G for comfortable space for textbooks and educational apps.

I have a bluetooth keyboard with mine, I only use the onscreen keyboard when I'm using the ipad on my knee.

Grrrrr.....it's the same thing in our local school district. This year they required a special graphing calculator (they only allowed ONE make and model) that never went on sale for less than $108.00. If your parents couldn't afford it, you couldn't take tig/pre-calc or calc1.

At J's school the required graphing calculator is $300. I do see the need for the same one though as the textbooks are geared to one or the other.

If the iPad is cheaper than textbooks, then why aren't the schools providing them just as they did textbooks? My son's cyber school requires a laptop and they provide it...they also lock it down. They provide iPads for those that need it (not sure which groups those are). btw, they also provide brand new texts to the students. Gee, as a highschooler in the 90's, we were using texts from the 70's.

In Australia, kids have to buy their own textbooks, the schools do not provide them.

Are the ebooks cheaper compared to used books? I saved an enormous amount of money for classes by scrounging together used books when I was studying theology.

They are probably a similar price to used, I buy a lot used as well. But they are lighter, so I think it would be worthwhile.

I think the I pads can be great for special ed student but the classroom I toured was using it as a baby sitter. I don't want my special needs child in that envoirment plus this class is to have all "talking apps" off in class. (This seemed more like an assulym than a school.) I'm currently using a tablet with my DD but would not give her free control of it.

The cost is at least something I would think about for a high schooler since they would understand to care for it.

I just can't see requiring it. People have different tastes, different learning styles, different budgets.

Just require that the material get learned somehow and be open to allowing different technology IMHO. The guy who wants this tablet, or ipad, or laptop or iphone or whatever can then use what is preferred. But the goal should be learning the material at the high school/college level and not what is used.

To a certain extent younger too but I can see more at the lower level all using the same because the teacher is also teaching how to use the resource.

We have an ipad, but it is not getting used as much for some things because it can't handle flash. Lots of kiddie educational websites are using flash.

Do they have financial help for families who need it? Or is the community really affluent so that it isn't such a hardship?

This PS is in a more affluent area, but not all students come from homes able to afford iPads. Graphing calculators are required in years 11-13 & the required model runs $130. Add to that an iPad ($799 for a 16GB wi-fi model - $1289 for a 64GB wi-fi + 3G), uniforms, school fees, stationary fees, school "donation", NCEA fees, etc. Staying in school for all of highschool won't be affordable for many students soon. As it is too many students leave PS at age 16 with little or no qualifications.

I can't see our local PS highschool going this route as they don't even allow cellphones on campus. Who makes sure these iPads are kept safe? Does the school provide insurance for use while at school? on the way to / from school?