Menu

Book suggestions

'Cause these threads seem to be going around. :001_smile:

My eldest is 7. And a voracious reader. I have a list on my blog sidebar, but for example in the last week she's read Frankenstein, A Wrinkle in Time, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, and is finishing up the Time Traveler. She's also reading the Fellowship of the Ring.

This WEEK. :glare:

She liked a Wrinkle in Time best of that bunch. Her actual favorite books so far have been Harry Potter, the Narnia books and the Mysterious Benedict Society.

Any book suggestions to turn her on to? She likes fantasy and scary things. I prefer not a lot of gore or adult romance- falling in love, ect. is OK.

:bigear:

Here are a few to look at:

Lloyd Alexander - Prydain Chronicles (very much like Harry Potter)

Brian Jacques - starting with Redwall (adventure series of a mouse)

Karen Cushman - stories that take place in medieval England

Edith Nesbit - fun magical stories

Hope this helps :)

Here are a few to look at:

Lloyd Alexander - Prydain Chronicles (very much like Harry Potter)

Brian Jacques - starting with Redwall (adventure series of a mouse)

Karen Cushman - stories that take place in medieval England

Edith Nesbit - fun magical stories

Hope this helps :)

I'm getting the Prydian Chronicles for her for Christmas. :001_smile:

She's read Redwall- maybe 3 of them? She doesn't LOVE them, though.

I haven't heard of Karen Cushman that I can recollect- thanks!!

She's a big Editch Nesbit fan.

hello,my name is Eleanor,and i am 7:001_smile:. :iagree: i have read most of those books,and i like the Boxcar Children,Hardy Boys,Nancy Drew,Jigsaw Jones,The Middle Of Somewhere,and The Red Pyramid and the throne of fire.:party::patriot::001_rolleyes: BOOKS!!!!!!!!! bye!:001_wub::seeya:

Hi, I'm Mom and Eleanor apparently loves smilies! :) Hope this helps a little!

ETA: Charlie Bone is another favorite of dds.

Edited by sunriseiz

Thanks, Eleanor. My DD has read most of your suggestions, but she's always pleased to hear about other kids who share her love of reading!

hello,my name is Eleanor,and i am 7:001_smile:. :iagree: i have read most of those books,and i like the Boxcar Children,Hardy Boys,Nancy Drew,Jigsaw Jones,The Middle Of Somewhere,and The Red Pyramid and the throne of fire.:party::patriot::001_rolleyes: BOOKS!!!!!!!!! bye!:001_wub::seeya:

Hi, I'm Mom and Eleanor apparently loves smilies! :) Hope this helps a little!

ETA: Charlie Bone is another favorite of dds.

My ds loves fantasy too. He just finished The Shadows (The Books of Elsewhere Vol. 1). In addition to the books you have already mentioned, he has enjoyed the Mary Pope Osborne series Tales from the Odyssey and the Guardian's of Ga'Hoole series. Don't forget Roald Dahl, Diana Wynne Jones, the Wizard of Oz series (free on Kindle!), The Tale of Desperaux and the "Ember" books.

He just pulled Neil Gaiman's Stardust off of my bookshelf today and started in on it but I had to stop him because I can't remember if it's appropriate for kids or not (Gaiman has several kid-friendly books, I just can't remember if that's one of them. I'll have to skim through it to refresh my memory.)

I will definitely be checking out lisabees's suggestions since he hasn't read any of those yet. Thanks!

Just adding the Nick of Time books by Ted Bell. Time traveling boy and his younger sister starts during WwII but moves forward and back.

The Warriors cat series have satisfied my voracious reader too. Like Watership Down, if you're not familiar.

I've started slipping in classics here and there too....but it does get tricky for one this young.

:001_smile:

Just adding the Nick of Time books by Ted Bell. Time traveling boy and his younger sister starts during WwII but moves forward and back.

The Warriors cat series have satisfied my voracious reader too. Like Watership Down, if you're not familiar.

I've started slipping in classics here and there too....but it does get tricky for one this young.

:001_smile:

Haven't looked at the Nick of Time- thanks! She went through a Warrior Cat phase 4ish months ago and read all the ones our library has.

Thanks, Eleanor. My DD has read most of your suggestions, but she's always pleased to hear about other kids who share her love of reading!

We are following this thread too. Eleanor has already made a new list of things to check out at the library! Keeping her in books for a week is quite a job!!!

:D

http://www.amazon.com/Rise-Fall-Mount-Majestic/dp/0803733755

We forgot about this one! Eleanor stayed up late and finished it all at once. She said she just couldn't stop reading! :D

Edited by sunriseiz
ETA more info

Based on her enjoyment of Wrinkle in Time, Narnia and some others I recommend The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett.

http://www.amazon.com/Wee-Free-Men-Discworld/dp/0060012382/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319720589&sr=8-1

http://www.librarything.com/work/1043958/book/72937808

The heroine is a nine year old girl but even so my ds really enjoyed the book and is looking forward to reading the next. You may just wish to look at a few reviews of it to make sure it fits your content standards. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head that a parent may find objectionable is that the "wee free men" are pixies based on a Scottish sterotype and includes a fondness for Granny's special "sheep liniment" (some sort of home brewed alcohol.) It is aimed at ages 9 to 12 however after I read it I felt it was fine for my son last year at 8 yrs old. There's also "The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents" by Pratchett. It's also considered a "Young Adult" book but I've read it and I don't think the scary moments are any scarier than what happens in a Wrinkle in Time, or when Aslan is first killed by the witch in TLWW.

edit: also look at The Young Merlin Trilogy by Jane Yolen http://www.librarything.com/work/95722/book/58219088

Edited by Jill

Little House on the Prairie series

Anne of Green Gables series and other books by Montgomery

Pippi Longstocking

Mr. Poppers Penguins

Old Mother West Wind series

My Father's Dragon series

All the Roald Dahl books

Indian in the Cupboard

Cricket in Times Square

Tomlinson series about animals (i.e. Owl Who Was Afraid of the Dark)

Bears on Hemlock Mountain

The Whipping Boy

Beverly Cleary books

Castaways in Lilliput

The Hundred Dresses

Alice in Wonderland

Through the Looking Glass

Wizard of Oz

Picture books too

'Cause these threads seem to be going around. :001_smile:

My eldest is 7. And a voracious reader. I have a list on my blog sidebar, but for example in the last week she's read Frankenstein, A Wrinkle in Time, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, and is finishing up the Time Traveler. She's also reading the Fellowship of the Ring.

This WEEK. :glare:

She liked a Wrinkle in Time best of that bunch. Her actual favorite books so far have been Harry Potter, the Narnia books and the Mysterious Benedict Society.

Any book suggestions to turn her on to? She likes fantasy and scary things. I prefer not a lot of gore or adult romance- falling in love, ect. is OK.

:bigear:

If she likes Harry Potter, she'll probably like the T.A. Barron Merlin series. My son thought they were better than Harry Potter.

She also might like some of Lloyd Alexander's books and maybe the book Flatland. Oh, and maybe The Little Prince.

Edited by MBM
added another book

If she likes Harry Potter, she'll probably like the T.A. Barron Merlin series. My son thought they were better than Harry Potter.

She also might like some of Lloyd Alexander's books and maybe the book Flatland. Oh, and maybe The Little Prince.

I'll have to check those out, thanks!

I'm holding off on the Little Prince until she can do it in French, though- hopefully in the next few years. :)

I'm holding off on the Little Prince until she can do it in French, though- hopefully in the next few years. :)

Fantastic! That would be the perfect way to read it.

Enjoy! I miss searching for kid books. My youngest is in high school now. Sniff.

Some ideas off the top of my head that shouldn't be too heavy on the gore or romance:

The Demon Princes series, by Jack Vance (Actually sci-fi/mystery, but with a heaping dash of the fantastic, and without the sexuality present in some of his better-known works; the five Demon Princes are interstellar criminals, not demons. The Dying Earth is simply brilliant, but unfortunately with bits of sex here and there.)

The Puppet Masters and The Unpleasant Profession of Jonathan Hoag, by Robert A. Heinlein

Something Wicked This Way Comes, by Ray Bradbury

The Chronicles of Amber, by Roger Zelazny (some of his other stuff may be enjoyable to your DD as well)

The Earthsea series, by Ursula K. LeGuin

The Cyberiad, by Stanislaw Lem

The Stainless Steel Rat series, by Harry Harrison

The Deathworld trilogy, by Harry Harrison (cool series, not bloody)

The Tripods series, by John Christopher

Edited by Iucounu

Based on her enjoyment of Wrinkle in Time, Narnia and some others I recommend The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett.

http://www.amazon.com/Wee-Free-Men-Discworld/dp/0060012382/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319720589&sr=8-1

http://www.librarything.com/work/1043958/book/72937808

The heroine is a nine year old girl but even so my ds really enjoyed the book and is looking forward to reading the next. You may just wish to look at a few reviews of it to make sure it fits your content standards. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head that a parent may find objectionable is that the "wee free men" are pixies based on a Scottish sterotype and includes a fondness for Granny's special "sheep liniment" (some sort of home brewed alcohol.) It is aimed at ages 9 to 12 however after I read it I felt it was fine for my son last year at 8 yrs old. There's also "The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents" by Pratchett. It's also considered a "Young Adult" book but I've read it and I don't think the scary moments are any scarier than what happens in a Wrinkle in Time, or when Aslan is first killed by the witch in TLWW.

edit: also look at The Young Merlin Trilogy by Jane Yolen http://www.librarything.com/work/95722/book/58219088

Oh these sound great!!! Thanks!