Menu

Nothing but baby in the crib....

Did you see this on NBC Nightly News? The AAP recommends nothing but the baby and a tight fitting sheet in the crib. No bumpers, no blankets, no pillows, no toys, no loose bedding, no wedge/positioners, etc. They also say that the crib should be in the same room with the parents so they can see, hear, and touch the baby. Here's an article from Consumer Reports about "naked cribs".

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We aren't allowed to have anything in the crib until the child is 18months. It is really easier than it seems, especially with swaddle and wearable blankets now. At first I was worried though. My kids had bumper pads, the toys on the side of the crib, blankets, and sheet protectors. Even though I'm "old," I figured it out easily though :)

ETA: Answering Rebecca (below)....but what are they doing in a crib? Baby Girl and Little Man (my cribbed kiddos) are only in there long enough to sleep. I wait til they need to be in there then I lie them down and say "night-night; mama loves you" and expect them to fall asleep (which they usually do).

ADDITIONALLY, I think there is some benefit to lying in bed, playing with your toes, wiggling your fingers in the mostly-dark. My daughter (now 19yrs old) was a non-sleeper and I really do think she benefited from an early bedtime even as a toddler and preschooler. She had SUCH an imagination. Do we really need colorful decorations and toys when we sleep or at all times when awake?

Edited by 2J5M9K

How boring for the baby.

And you know, that may *still* not save every infant. My daughter would sleep on her tummy with her arms up around her face. I was terrified that she would suffocate herself. I made her sleep with me for months (my husband was almost always out to sea during that time) so that I could watch and make sure she was breathing.

We had rolled-up towels around him in the bassinet when he was little, and then naked crib until he was about nine months, when I felt instinctively sure he wasn't going to die of SIDS, and then I started sneaking in stuffed animals.

I also rebelled a little by having the mattress wrapped in this kooky New Zealand plastic, plus an allergy wrap, plus a mattress pad (rebel!) and then the sheet and then him in one of those SleepSacks.

As for boring, I figure that's what mobiles are for. (We can still have mobiles, right?)

Edited by kubiac

I didn't see that, but thanks. This was what my Dr and hospital recommended to me at the birth of DS over 2 years ago. Unfortunately the only places he would sleep where in my arms, his bouncy chair or car seat, or in my bed next to me.

The ped didn't want him in his chair or car seat and thought my bed was probably safer. It scared me to death though. Here's hoping this baby will sleep OK in the bassinet. :)

That's exactly how our 4 month old sleepsĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ crib sheet, fitted tightly. He has a "sleeping bag" thing that he wears over his sleeper -- it's like a sleeper but without legs. (our room is quite cool so this is good for warmth) .. No bumpers, toys, or blankets. (and yes, he's in our bedroom about three feet from my side of the bed)

He's happy ~ he's only in there for sleeping anywayĂ¢â‚¬Â¦he usually falls asleep for the night with us downstairs and then I carry him up and put him in the crib when I go to bed.. when he wakes, he squeals and wakes me, so we get up.

I don't have a bed filled with 'stuff' either. :)

I wouldn't mind it so much if it weren't based on bad science.

I would just ignore this advice, especially after the baby is able to move his/her own head away from obstructions (usually within the first months of life).

I have a bigger problem with the back-sleeping advice, which forces kids to be light sleepers, which in turn creates learning and behavior issues. Again, based on bad science.

I knew this was recommended at least 4 years ago. I planned to do a "naked crib," but I did end up cheating with this pillow to prop him up from 3-5 months. This was the only way I could get him to sleep anywhere other than in my arms/on my lap in the recliner. He didn't have reflux but he would not sleep unless his head was elevated. I eased him off of it eventually. Other than those few months, he slept with nothing in the crib.

I have a bigger problem with the back-sleeping advice, which forces kids to be light sleepers, which in turn creates learning and behavior issues. Again, based on bad science.

We had no choice but to flip DD to her tummy when she was maybe 6 weeks old. She would not sleep otherwise, but on her tummy she was a great sleeper. I did some reading on back-versus-tummy sleeping and was really surprised to see that there were benefits to tummy sleeping and potential issues with back sleeping.

She did so well sleeping on her tummy that as soon as the new baby was old enough to turn his head from one side to another on his own when on his tummy, we put him on his tummy to sleep. He was much more comfortable and slept much better. He's about 10 weeks now, and since he was about 7 or 8 weeks, he's been sleeping 7-9 hour stretches at night.

I would just ignore this advice, especially after the baby is able to move his/her own head away from obstructions (usually within the first months of life).

I would love to see some citations for this, as the "naked crib" thing drives me nuts. :D

A few people have posted that this has been recommended for several years now. I wonder why this sounds like it's something new then?? :confused:

I don't know why this is being picked up again? I taught birthing classes four years ago and it was the current recommendation at that time!

Ok I gotta ask... How do they stay warm if no blankets?

I have never looked into it so forgive my ignorance, I co-slept with ds9 and still sleep with ds3. Dd13.. well she had an empty crib just because. It wasn't intentional it just was. She did have bumpers and a fitted sheet. That was pretty much it.

My oldest is 10. I remember being told not to use bumpers, blankets or stuffed animals back then.

The recommendation of having the baby in the room with parents is more surprising to me. I am such a light sleeper, I had to move the babies out of our room when they were pretty young. Their sniffling noises kept me up. And then if I woke and couldn't hear them breathing, I had to get out of bed to check and make sure they were okay. It drove me insane. :001_huh:

This never would have worked with my eldest. We lived in a cottage in the woods and heated with wood. It got really frigid in our room at night.

I find myself a bit skeptical about this; it twigged off the same things in my brain as when I hear pregnant women are no longer allowed to eat deli meat or soft ice cream.

I'm also interested in citations regarding this 'bad science'.

Naked cribs have been the thing for a few years now. We've had naked cradles and cribs for...at least our youngest two, possibly the youngest three. I know that I haven't used a bumper since my oldest was an infant.

The wiki article on SIDS has a section at the end which mentions this.

I keep waiting for someone to do a study that children & infants who wear helmets in vehicles are less likely to die in accidents (as I'm sure they would be) and for the recommendation to be that everyone wear helmets in their cars.

The world has gone completely neurotic/insane about safety. In another 5-10 years every mother in America will need to be on anti-anxiety medication in order to cope with her awareness of the minutiae of every imaginable peril that might befall her child, and to keep track of all the official recommendations to avoid these scenarios.

Edited by zenjenn

I keep waiting for someone to do a study that children & infants who wear helmets in vehicles are less likely to die in accidents (as I'm sure they would be) and for the recommendation to be that everyone wear helmets in their cars.

The world has gone completely neurotic/insane about safety. In another 5-10 years every mother in America will need to be on anti-anxiety medication in order to cope with her awareness of the minutiae of every imaginable peril that might befall her child, and to keep track of all the official recommendations to avoid these scenarios.

:iagree: Oh my goodness, I can't agree enough with this. It's beyond ridiculous.

I think this was in the news today because today was the day the AAP issued its sleep guidelines re back sleeping:

http://www.aap.org/pressroom/sids.pdf

AAP EXPANDS GUIDELINES FOR INFANT SLEEP SAFETY AND SIDS RISK REDUCTION

EMBARGOED FOR RELEASE: Tuesday, Oct. 18, at 12:01 a.m. ET

In an updated policy statement and technical report, the AAP is expanding its guidelines on safe sleep for

babies, with additional information for parents on creating a safe environment for their babies to sleep.

Three important additions to the

recommendations include:

ï‚· Breastfeeding is recommended and is associated with a reduced risk of SIDS.

ï‚· Infants should be immunized. Evidence suggests that immunization reduces the risk of SIDS by 50

percent.

ï‚· Bumper pads should not be used in cribs. There is no evidence that bumper pads prevent injuries, and

there is a potential risk of suffocation, strangulation or entrapment.

The report also includes the following recommendations:

ï‚· Always place your baby on his or her back for every sleep time.

ï‚· Always use a firm sleep surface. Car seats and other sitting devices are not recommended for

routine sleep.

ï‚· The baby should sleep in the same room as the parents, but not in the same bed (room-sharing

without bed-sharing).

ï‚· Keep soft objects or loose bedding out of the crib. This includes pillows, blankets, and bumper

pads.

ï‚· Wedges and positioners should not be used.

ï‚· Pregnant woman should receive regular prenatal care.

ï‚· DonĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t smoke during pregnancy or after birth.

ï‚· Breastfeeding is recommended.

ï‚· Offer a pacifier at nap time and bedtime.

ï‚· Avoid covering the infantĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s head or overheating.

ï‚· Do not use home monitors or commercial devices marketed to reduce the risk of SIDS.

ï‚· Infants should receive all recommended vaccinations.

ï‚· Supervised, awake tummy time is recommended daily to facilitate development and minimize

the occurrence of positional plagiocephaly (flat heads).

Use blanket sleepers for warmth

But blanket sleepers are treated with flame retarding chemicals, which have been linked to health problems too, and I don't want to use them personally.

My baby has coslept with us since birth. Most of my babies have. But this baby has been the worst sleeper I have ever had, this year has been all insane, mind-numbing exhaustion. We have worked so hard to get him sleeping for even short periods without having to be in my arms or at the breast.

We bought a crib when he was around 7 months because he wakes up so frequently cosleeping. He hated it and screamed his head off whenever we tried so I took that as him not being ready. We were very gradual with any changes, and just recently, at 11 months, he has started sleeping in his crib for a few hours before dh and I come to bed, allowing us some alone time, and he is now napping in his crib too, which has provided a lot of relief for me with having time to do some homeschooling uninterrupted.

It has been a blessed relief for my sanity! But he is a tummy sleeper when he's in the crib, because he has the room. I can't force him to stay on his back. And we've gotten him attached to a lovey, actually he ended up with two, and he soothes himself to sleep with those (a small bear and a small cloth doll) without having to nurse every single time he twitches.

So I think recommendations like those are made with the aim of trying to having the biggest reach possible, especially among uneducated parents who maybe do not continue to supervise during bedtime. But I will exercise common sense and my baby will still have his lovies and sleep on his tummy.

I would love to see some citations for this, as the "naked crib" thing drives me nuts. :D

These are from a pro-co-sleeping POV, but here's a place to start:

http://cosleeping.nd.edu/articles-and-presentations/articles-and-essays/

There's plenty of good evidence that co-sleeping (which the B2S campain vilifies) should be the NORM as long as it's done under safe conditions.

I'll admit, it bothers me greatly to hear phrases like "we're no longer allowed to" thrown around in reference to government/organization guidelines. It's a list of rules that's constantly changing and makes adults seem like little kids who need to obey so they can get a cookie. I take guidelines with a grain of salt--for one thing, they keep changing and for another, I have a brain and instincts for a reason.

I mean, there's common sense safety, and then there's... well, I agree wholeheartedly with zenjenn.

These are from a pro-co-sleeping POV, but here's a place to start:

http://cosleeping.nd.edu/articles-and-presentations/articles-and-essays/

There's plenty of good evidence that co-sleeping (which the B2S campain vilifies) should be the NORM as long as it's done under safe conditions.

Yep. Never had a crib. My mom put me in a drawer. I'm not saying don't be safe but there's lots of evidence to sift through.

The world has not gone insane, just America. In Mexico I've only known one family ever to use a carseat and they used it wrong. Babies are held by someone in the car. No one wears seatbelts. Most people I know cut them out of the car. Babies are regularly covered, even over their heads, with thick fluffy blankets. Talk of safety makes people laugh at you. Ask me how I know.:glare:

I think balance is needed in both places. Once I started hearing from multiple people that it's cruel to let cats go outside, I knew America had lost it's mind. They are animals. They like to be outside sometimes. I don't care if some people have indoor-only cats. I have had one before. But to think that it's *cruel* to let an *animal* go outside... Cats are animals not children people! (And we even let our children outside)

Cosleeping would be the dangerous thing hereĂ¢â‚¬Â¦my husband sleeps like the dead - and snores like a train. Plus, he smokes. Heavy loud sleeper who has second hand smoke on his clothes = no cosleeping.

Our newbie (4 months) is in his crib a few feet from my side of the bed. Safe - and happy. He sleeps wonderfully, in his "naked crib", wearing his comfy fuzzy sleeper or 'snuggie' thing. :)

Funny..someone said they had to move their babies OUT because they couldn't sleepĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ I'd never sleep if he wasn't IN the room - I'd be up every ten minutes, going to his room to check on him. This way, I 'feel' himĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ if that makes any sense.

Ok I gotta ask... How do they stay warm if no blankets?

I have never looked into it so forgive my ignorance, I co-slept with ds9 and still sleep with ds3. Dd13.. well she had an empty crib just because. It wasn't intentional it just was. She did have bumpers and a fitted sheet. That was pretty much it.

They stay warm by having the room heated. A warm room with nothing around the baby has been shown to decrease SIDS. A cold room with stuff around the baby to keep them warm (fluffy blankets, clothes etc.) is highly correlated with SIDS deaths.

It's a list of rules that's constantly changing and makes adults seem like little kids who need to obey so they can get a cookie. I take guidelines with a grain of salt--for one thing, they keep changing and for another, I have a brain and instincts for a reason.

No joke. But when I was a first-time new mom, who had almost no experience with babies in my past, I almost tore my own hair out in the madness. An educated young person in their mid 20's with no experience being around babies (as many do not, what with small families these days) can easily get wrapped up in the sensationalism of this kind of "advice".

When I was a new mom, the constant Back to sleep - back to sleep. Posters all over the hospital, in the parenting magazines. Like my baby is going to DIE if I dare let her sleep on her belly.

She had a highly sensitive startle reflex, so she did not do well on her back. She was a 10 lb, strong newborn, who could break out of swaddling. My husband used to say "Look at that baby. THAT baby, is not going to die of SIDS"

But no... I dealt with an OBSCENE amount of sleep loss because my baby might die if O let her sleep on her belly. I knew it wasn't entirely rational, but I was a new mom, and so indoctrinated - I feared that if I put her on her belly and she DID die of SIDS, then I would be trapped in a lifelong prison of irreconcilable guilt.

Oh, and I also had insufficient glandular tissue. So, I had to start supplementing with formula too. I did the LLL, the tea, the fenugreek, the pumping, the lactation consultant. When I meekly, in my sleep deprived state, told the zealoty California LLL group I belonged to that I drew the line at using an SNS, I was reminded about how I would be imperiling my infant, disrupting bonding, destroying what little milk production I had, and subjecting my child to higher risks of a laundry list of ailments - all because I chose to supplement my losing-weight infant some formula with a silicon nipple.

I find it funny now - but at the time, a lot of this stuff really messed with my head in a serious way. By the time my mother started e-mailing me articles about how you could cut food for children up to and including 4 yrs old into pea-sized bites, I had enough gained enough of a sense of humor (and common sense) about it to laugh.

There was also the "NOT EVEN FOR A MINUTE" campaign in California that made it illegal - ILLEGAL - to leave a child in a vehicle unattended. Even for a minute, even if you were within sight of the car, even if the temperatures were 100% safe.

Yes, that included walking 20 feet away to sign big sister out of preschool on a 63-degree day. The school had this poster up and was obligated by law to report me if I dare do this.

So I had to *wake up* a sleeping infant in order to carry her 20 feet through a synagogue parking lot to sign my 3 yr old out of preschool. Bye bye naptime for the baby.

Then I moved to Alabama and it was a happy day... my younger could actually take a nap during preschool pick-up time. I was FREE.

I'll admit, it bothers me greatly to hear phrases like "we're no longer allowed to" thrown around in reference to government/organization guidelines. It's a list of rules that's constantly changing and makes adults seem like little kids who need to obey so they can get a cookie. I take guidelines with a grain of salt--for one thing, they keep changing and for another, I have a brain and instincts for a reason.

I mean, there's common sense safety, and then there's... well, I agree wholeheartedly with zenjenn.

:iagree:

And I had several babies that HATED being swaddled or put in blanket sleepers. As in they would cry like you were ripping a limb off until they were changed.

That said. For the few I used a crib for, mostly for naps, I never had much stuff in the crib anyways. I didn't like them playing in bed - bed was for sleep. And I didn't like bumpers and stuff bc I had to look over it to see baby. Without a bumper, I could see any across the room without going to look over the bumper.

When I said that "we aren't allowed," it is because we're foster parents and have to follow state and agency rules.

The other night, Baby Girl's mama asked me if she slept on her back or tummy (she was here for a visit). I told her that I had to put her on her back but that she usually flipped over to her side or tummy. She is allowed to sleep however she does. However, if something were to happen and we had put her on her stomach, that could be an issue.

After we quit swaddling her (which we did much later than I did with my big kids), we would still wrap her bottom half (arms free) so she could move but couldn't get up (because once she started pulling up, going to sleep was the last thing on her mind).

Anyway, I don't know that I buy the back to sleep stuff. I also believe that co-sleeping saved my son's life. However, we didn't find following the rules difficult at all. In fact, I'd say Baby Girl was probably our best sleeper ever.

Wow. When I think how much stuff my ds had in his crib, especially as he got older.

First it was the bumper pads, and blanket, then some toys. Eventually he pulled things into the crib. At least he survived it all.

How did we all live? My generation grew up with lead-covered extremely wide slats, toys, pillows, blankets -everything but the kitchen sink - in the crib and you hardly ever heard of a SIDS death.

It's something else, not a baby blanket, I think.

When I said that "we aren't allowed," it is because we're foster parents and have to follow state and agency rules.

:) I did understand that.

I meant it in a more general way; this is just how a lot of people now speak about guidelines.

Mind you, it does seem a little nuts to me that state and agency rules are precise down to the way you place the child for a nap. Even foster parents and those adopting should be allowed to use their own God-given common sense, IMO. It strikes me as overkill. And still we hear of *outright abuse* in some foster homes. Where's the balance?

Those were pretty much the guidelines when my 6-year-old was a baby; maybe it just wasn't an official position statement. We used blanket sleepers and didn't use crib bumpers (I think they look silly and are pretty useless anyway), but I ignored the advice about not sleeping with baby.

Edited by WordGirl

I personally knew a family that lost their 10-12mo old daughter a couple of years ago to being tangled up and suffocated in her blanket (additionally was not helped that they were letting her "cry it out" and didn't check on her). It was pretty tragic. I let mine have a blanket, but only if I'm checking on her regularly and she's in the same room as I am. If I go to bed, she comes with me. I don't really sleep much the baby's first year.

The recommendation of having the baby in the room with parents is more surprising to me. I am such a light sleeper, I had to move the babies out of our room when they were pretty young. Their sniffling noises kept me up. And then if I woke and couldn't hear them breathing, I had to get out of bed to check and make sure they were okay. It drove me insane. :001_huh:

I hated having my kids sleep in the same room with DH and me. None of us slept. The baby would stir/wake up if one of us got up to pee, and DH and I tossed and turned all night due to the baby noises. We moved both of our kids out of our bedroom at about 6 weeks, and everybody started sleeping better after that. Both of my kids started sleeping long stretches within a week of moving out of our bedroom.

Cosleeping would be the dangerous thing hereĂ¢â‚¬Â¦my husband sleeps like the dead - and snores like a train. Plus, he smokes. Heavy loud sleeper who has second hand smoke on his clothes = no cosleeping

Which is why I said "as long as it's done under safe conditions". :001_smile:

How do you get that to happen though? I mean - most of the people that I know would have similar risks in their home when it comes to co-sleeping. It's usually the husbands - they smoke, or they sleep like the dead, or they like to have a few beer before bed, they're exhausted from workĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ stuff like that. Combine those risks with the fact that men aren't as 'tuned in' to the baby being there and it just seems like it would be riskier more than safe, y'know?

Did you see this on NBC Nightly News? The AAP recommends nothing but the baby and a tight fitting sheet in the crib. No bumpers, no blankets, no pillows, no toys, no loose bedding, no wedge/positioners, etc. They also say that the crib should be in the same room with the parents so they can see, hear, and touch the baby. Here's an article from Consumer Reports about "naked cribs".

I am a fan of the naked crib but I laid my babies on their tummies.

How do you get that to happen though? I mean - most of the people that I know would have similar risks in their home when it comes to co-sleeping. It's usually the husbands - they smoke, or they sleep like the dead, or they like to have a few beer before bed, they're exhausted from workĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ stuff like that. Combine those risks with the fact that men aren't as 'tuned in' to the baby being there and it just seems like it would be riskier more than safe, y'know?

Those things are not very common at all in my circle. No smoking, no drinking on a regular basis, my dh is a very light sleeper. Co-sleeping was a very safe choice for us.

My husband sleeps deeply but we have a huge king sized bed and I make sure there is a pillow in between us. I sleep with the baby in the crook of my arm and we're both aware of her.

I've always done naked cribs. Seemed natural to me. They have been advising parents to ditch the bumpers for a long time.

I'm glad someone above said they just don't sleep much baby's first year. This is me. I listen to them like a hawk and hover. My youngest has some nasty reflux and occasionally has choking episodes so she's pretty much stuck to me like glue all the time. I'm okay with that. :)