Menu

Help us housetrain our puppy....m

She is 12 weeks old and we have had her since she was 6 wks old. When we got her we started taking her out every 45 min. and we had to shorten the time to 35 min. because she keep piddling everywhere. We are now down to every 15 min. and she is still piddling on the floor. I am at my wits end with her. I am not sure what to do. I had talked to the dr. a few weeks back about this because I was wondering if she had an infection or something. She said that it was unlikely since Sophie can hold it when she is in her crate at night from 11:00 p.m until 6:00a.m. We catch her in the act and scold her and tell her to go outside and we take her outside. I think she knows because she will piddle and if we are not right there, she will hide under the chair. I dont want her to be afraid of us. We use this method with our now 16month old male and he was trained in one month. He was 8 weeks when we got him. I am not sure what to do. If anyone knows a different way to hadle this, please share.

thanks

Ps. when we do take her outside and she goes, we highly praise her and give her a treat.

How about keeping her in the crate during the day -- unless you take her out to piddle before you let her run around? She earns some freedom AFTER she piddles outside.

Our dog Clarence came from a pet shop -- and would piddle right in his crate! :glare::glare::glare: At least you're that far ahead! :001_smile:

Good luck -- believe me, I know how frustrating it can be!

Carol

Yes, crate her. If she is holding it overnight, then you are ahead of the game. You have to stop this cycle of scolding her so often. If she's already hiding under the table, that is a sign that she is already developing negative associations. You don't want that for her. Positive, positive, positive reinforcement - lot's of it.

Get a copy of one of Ian Dunbar's books on puppy training. He is into positive reinforcement - excellent books.

Another vote for daytime crating.

A puppy with piddling issues should never be out of her crate unless you are actively watching her. Several of the good dog training books offer schedules with a feed/out/crate/play/out type of schedule.

Anne

We kept our puppy in her crate or tethered to me during the day. When she was tethered to me and I saw her sniff for a spot to go I rushed her outside to do her business. It was a hassle having her tied to me but she was house broken pretty fast - 6 weeks or so.

When she did have an accident we used "Natures Miracle" on the carpet. I read that it is important to get the smell out of the carpet otherwise they think that is where they are suppose to go.

Good luck and enjoy your pup!

I really like the Monks of New Skete - they have books and videos - check your library. I also like Ian Dunbar. There are a couple of others I like, but I'll have to get back to you on the names.

Basically, the idea is that you never give the dog a chance to misbehave. In the morning, dog goes out first thing. Play a bit after she eliminates. Back in for breakfast. Take her back out. In crate for an hour or so. Outside to eliminate, then play a bit. Into the crate for awhile. Repeat.

If you want to have her out of the crate, she should be on a leash, attached to you so that you can watch her closely.

Hth!

Anne

http://www.thehousebreakingbible.com/

We are using this website, and it is fabulous. They detail out many options for you to choose from. If you are having problems, they have a message board, and the two ladies who own the site post and answer questions. I don't know how big your puppy is, but we used the "puppy airlift" for the first few days our new pup was home, and now we are using the "umbilical cord" training.

HTH

We also had success with crating or tethering during the day. One problem we had(have) with our yellow lab is he would not tell us when he had to go. He would just pee on the floor.

He is a year old but I have been told you can do this with very young pups too. We are teaching him to ring a bell by the back door when he needs to go out. We put some bells tied to a rope on a hook by the back door. Every time we would take him out, we had him ring the bell. He rings it on his own now.

It's never a bad idea to ask the vet to do a quick urinalysis just in case (although I agree that since she holds it overnight, there is low suspicion).

One or another of our five dogs tends to turn up a UTI once a year or so, and the piddling/accidents is always the signal that makes us run a u/a.

If you can "catch" the sample in a clean tuppperware (disposable), it is a totally non-invasive test. Puppies do get them pretty frequently, especially if they don't have constant access to water to drink.

Assuming no UTI, then the advice to constantly supervise when not in the crate is exactly what you need to do.

Dunbar's books are good.

You can use a leash in the house when not crated. . . Just try to assign someone to constantly monitor/supervise at all times. . . You should see good progress within a week or so if you can be really vigilant for several days.

Be careful with scolding. Sometimes if you scold when you catch them peeing inside, they take it to mean "bad peeing when mom is nearby!" and then won't pee outside either b/c you are nearby. . . Problems multiply. . .

Instead, if she goes inside and you catch her *in the act*, simply scoop her up with a "wooopss!!" and take her outside. Then, make sure you *reward* peeing outside in the right spot!! Food treats are by far the most effective rewards, so keeping a pocketful of tiny tasty treats available work well. Couple the food reward with verbal praise. EVERY TIME she is successful. Keep doing this for weeks after she is completely housetrained.

You can maximize your opportunities to reward her by timing her trips outside with release from the crate, etc. . .

Skip the scolding parts (as it is sooo easy to inadvertently make the problem worse). Just interrupt and redirect. And, most important, REWARD what you WANT.

She is 12 weeks old and we have had her since she was 6 wks old. When we got her we started taking her out every 45 min. and we had to shorten the time to 35 min. because she keep piddling everywhere. We are now down to every 15 min. and she is still piddling on the floor. I am at my wits end with her. I am not sure what to do. I had talked to the dr. a few weeks back about this because I was wondering if she had an infection or something. She said that it was unlikely since Sophie can hold it when she is in her crate at night from 11:00 p.m until 6:00a.m. We catch her in the act and scold her and tell her to go outside and we take her outside. I think she knows because she will piddle and if we are not right there, she will hide under the chair. I dont want her to be afraid of us. We use this method with our now 16month old male and he was trained in one month. He was 8 weeks when we got him. I am not sure what to do. If anyone knows a different way to hadle this, please share.

thanks

Ps. when we do take her outside and she goes, we highly praise her and give her a treat.

Our dog is now over two years old. When she was a puppy, we used a crate when we were not right there to watch her. It took a long time to train her. But she was housebroken before she was a year old. I know that might sound alarmingly long, but I do believe it takes some dogs a long time. Years ago, our Airedale took about a year to housebreak. He just didn't seem to "get it." Finally, it sunk in, and he was great from there on. I think dogs do get it eventually but some take longer than others. We never scolded unless we caught our puppy in the act. I think constant supervision helps most.

Anita

Good bladder control usually doesn't happen until 16 weeks of age. Some female pups can have puppy vaginitis which makes them want to pee more frequently. If she is licking a lot down there you could have your vet do a vaginal swab and see if this is the case. Also, I don't know if you mentioned her breed (I don't just want to assume it is the same as your avatar) but some breeds are notorious for hard housebreaking.

I second Ian Dunbar as well.

Soph